PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Army Poncho Liner

Brother in Arms
05-24-2007, 19:39
hey everyone
I dont have a sleeping bag yet and getting into my hennesey expedition made me think it might be tough...

I have read that soldiers in vietnam made hammocks from parachute cloth and wrapped up in poncho liners to keep warm... I was thinking cuz I am heading southbound from Katahdin june 2nd that maybe I should buy two and pin them together think id be warm enough? I looked at a Kelty 40 degree bag and it was thiner and lighter than a ponch liner and it didn't seem any warmer.

What are your thoughts?

Brother in Arms

greentick
05-24-2007, 19:44
hey everyone
I dont have a sleeping bag yet and getting into my hennesey expedition made me think it might be tough...

I have read that soldiers in vietnam made hammocks from parachute cloth and wrapped up in poncho liners to keep warm... I was thinking cuz I am heading southbound from Katahdin june 2nd that maybe I should buy two and pin them together think id be warm enough? I looked at a Kelty 40 degree bag and it was thiner and lighter than a ponch liner and it didn't seem any warmer.

What are your thoughts?

Brother in Arms

If you are putting a pad in your hammock a 'cho liner may be good for a while. Try it out before you hit the trail.

buckowens
05-24-2007, 21:09
I have logged many nights in Germany and other places wrapped in a poncho liner. Have actually been hot at times even in the winter. I agree with Brother in Arms that you should give it a shot first. I was told that there is a new one out, but I have not seen it or have had it issued yet...

Nest
05-24-2007, 21:27
Yes, I have one of the new ones. It is very warm. It is a lot warmer, and a lot lighter than the older one. I use it in my hammock, but will be making a better one so I can get below freezing.

greentick
05-24-2007, 21:47
Yes, I have one of the new ones. It is very warm. It is a lot warmer, and a lot lighter than the older one. I use it in my hammock, but will be making a better one so I can get below freezing.

I was going for the 'cho liner effect with my quilt. Really not much difference twixt the two. I came in a couple of ounces less than the current cho liner and mine is a few inches longer and made with primaloft. I put some pics in the photo gallery a few weeks ago.

superman
05-24-2007, 21:48
In the 1st ID during Operation Cedar Falls in early "67" we used hammocks that we took from the VC who no longer had need of them. We used poncho liners as much to keep the mosquitoes off us as we did to keep warm. Some of the insects found it more difficult to get to us in a hammock. A poncho liner is great for the summer heat and it's light weight. My first camp shoes were VC sandals that were gotten the same way. They were made out of old tires but they were a bit on the small side.

Nest
05-24-2007, 22:02
I was going for the 'cho liner effect with my quilt. Really not much difference twixt the two. I came in a couple of ounces less than the current cho liner and mine is a few inches longer and made with primaloft. I put some pics in the photo gallery a few weeks ago.

Looks good. I am going overboard with mine. Using polarguard with a 3inch loft. My poncho liner will get me down to 40* comfortably. I figure when it gets colder my new quilt wil probably get me down to the single digits atleast.

Programbo
05-24-2007, 22:09
I looked at a Kelty 40 degree bag and it was thiner and lighter than a ponch liner and it didn't seem any warmer...... What are your thoughts?

My thoughts?..I find it hard to believe anyone would make a sleeping bag thinner and lighter than a poncho liner..Unless poncho liners have changed alot since the camo ones I used back in the 70`s

Footslogger
05-24-2007, 22:16
The issue poncho liners you're talking about from the Viet Nam era aren't all that warm. I still have mine and have one and tried to use it several times in my Hennessey and I froze my arse off.

Combined with an issue poncho, the liners are OK but on their own they are a pretty light weight sleeping bag. Mine is in the back of my car as a "just in case" blanket.

'Slogger

Grinder
05-25-2007, 08:53
I'm just back from a week on the southern end of the trail.

For sleeping gear, I used a Sportsman's Guide light bag (50 deg rating. less than $30 delivered. Packs small.) and a poncho liner. I sleep in a hammock with a blue cc pad.

I wear polypro EWCS long johns to sleep in. The worst temps were in the mid 40's and I was comfortable. I believe I would be good into the 30's. I'd have to try freezing to be a believer.

I have my doubts about the poncho liner alone, but maybe.

NWilhelm
06-02-2007, 12:10
i just hiked from deep gap to the NOC with my HH and a ponch liner. i was freezing without a pad. but when i got one it was fine. it works well. i wish i had brought a cc pad though.

Grinder
06-02-2007, 12:17
Sometimes I assume everybody knows what i know.
I learned over at Hammock Forums that you need under insullation when the temp goes below 50 degrees.

That is supposed to be reguardless of the temp rating of your bag. Your weight crushes the insullation,

I always carry a cc pad and use it. It's a rare time in the mountains that overnight doesn't get to 50 degrees.

Tom

FanaticFringer
06-03-2007, 11:55
I learned over at Hammock Forums that you need under insullation when the temp goes below 50 degrees.

That is supposed to be reguardless of the temp rating of your bag. Your weight crushes the insullation,

I always carry a cc pad and use it. It's a rare time in the mountains that overnight doesn't get to 50 degrees.

Tom

I always carry a cc pad also. It is the frame for my frameless pack. I often dont need bottom insulation in the N.Georgia Mtns. in July and August.
Here's the bag you were talking about:www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=346831 I own 2 mummy shaped bags like that which I dont see as an option. They are hard to beat for the weight and price. Talked about alot awhile back on hammock forums. I cut the zippers off of mine for three reasons:To shave an ounce or so. To prevent the zipper from damaging my hammock fabric. I use it as a top quilt so no zipper needed.

BigFoot2002
06-03-2007, 15:17
With a CC pad, my poncho liner, and one layer of polypro I'm comfortable in my HH down to about 40.

Ramble~On
06-03-2007, 17:13
I sewed some elastic strips and velcro onto a poncho liner and then sewed velcro and elastic strips onto an ENO DoubleNest where the poncho and hammock met...Viola!!!, simple, cheap and very effective underquilt.
For colder temps I can tie in additional poncho liners and am also able to use the poncho as the outter-most layer. I had everything on hand so net cost of project was zero.

I have slept very comfy in a "Ranger Roll" night after night.
I'm interested in the "new" poncho liner does anyone have any links ?

Programbo
06-03-2007, 21:15
I learned over at Hammock Forums that you need under insullation when the temp goes below 50 degrees.....That is supposed to be reguardless of the temp rating of your bag. Your weight crushes the insullation

LOL..Sometimes I assume everybody knows what I know as well :) ....Anytime you see a temp rating on ANY sleeping bag the always assume you are using a ground pad for insulation and are sheltered from air movement....Actually a well designed sleeping bag will have 75% of it`s insulation on the top since as you mentioned that under you just gets crushed.

neo
09-12-2007, 11:28
In the 1st ID during Operation Cedar Falls in early "67" we used hammocks that we took from the VC who no longer had need of them. We used poncho liners as much to keep the mosquitoes off us as we did to keep warm. Some of the insects found it more difficult to get to us in a hammock. A poncho liner is great for the summer heat and it's light weight. My first camp shoes were VC sandals that were gotten the same way. They were made out of old tires but they were a bit on the small side.

wow thats a great hammock story,thank you for serving in our armed forces:cool: neo

us navy 1978-1982

9 Mules
09-12-2007, 12:05
Ong Thanh
Black Lions

superman
09-12-2007, 12:46
Ong Thanh
Black Lions

You're a bit on the young side to know much about Ong Thanh and I haven't met many Marines who knew much about army infantry battlions.:-?
Do you have a connection to Ong Thanh?

whitefoot_hp
09-12-2007, 13:18
where does one find the 'new' poncho liners?

Seeker
09-12-2007, 14:16
brigade quartermaster website. this should take you right to the page. the older ones run about $30. the new one runs about $60. mine (old style) weighs 16oz, iirc... this new one lists a weight of 1.3 lbs, about 21 oz.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=17533&M5COPY%2Ectx=29665&M5%2Ectx=29665&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Ponchos%2C%20Insulated%20Liners&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=poncho%20liner&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

Grinder
09-12-2007, 15:59
the way I ended up using my poncho liner was to throw it over the ridge line and tie the end corners under the hammock.

This created a little "cocoon" with the cc pad under me and the light weight bag used as a top quilt. the poncho liner pulled on on the sides, like I imagine under insullation works.

I always thought if it got real cold, I would wrap up in the poncho liner inside the bag, but it never did, so I don't know if that arrangement would be warmer or not.

Miles of Smiles

Tom

greentick
09-12-2007, 16:29
where does one find the 'new' poncho liners?

Ranger Joe's in Columbus GA adjacent to Ft Beginning where the mud is 18 inches deep and the sun is blazing hot - always.

$30

http://www.rangerjoes.com/poncho-linerwoobie-p-3691.html

hopefulhiker
09-12-2007, 20:07
The Industry for the Blind used to make those poncho liners in Winston-Salem, NC. Not sure if they still do...

Wise Old Owl
09-25-2007, 22:27
Hi,
What about an old & "lost its Loft" Mummy bag? Cut off the head part and put a wide hole in the boot. Run the Hammock though and keep the original zipper. Yea you would have to slide down to get in but it must be cheap & easy... Use an old & cheap Slumberjack! (didn't like mine) I sure someone has mentioned this before... Or haven't thought this through?

Mark

stumpy
09-26-2007, 17:32
I bought a cheap Guide Gear 30 degree bag for this exact purpose. However, I have never gotten around to doing the cutting part. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 17:34
I've thought about it but never tried it.