PDA

View Full Version : How's the traffic in VT right now?

Flying Monkey
05-24-2007, 23:06
I just got five days off work starting tomorrow, so i'm going to jump on the trail. I need to continue NOBO from Greylock in MA, So I'm curious what the trail traffic is like in vt. I'd rather not bring a hammock if I have a good chance of getting into a shelter. Thanks. Also, How's the town access in VT?
Wicked excited to be back on!

Flying Monkey
05-25-2007, 03:27
Couldn't get this posted in the "new posts" area for some reason. Hoping this'll do it.

Hydromagnt
05-25-2007, 05:29
This time of year, even w/ Memorial day, getting space in a shelter should be no problem.

Marta
05-25-2007, 05:43
Howdy, FM! Won't there be lots of bugs nipping at you unless you stay under netting? We're heading up to NH a week from tomorrow and have been given gloom and doom predictions by several people. We're going anyway, of course. :rolleyes:

As far as town access...I didn't have any trouble hitchiking in VT. Enough traffic; someone always stopped right away.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Jeff
05-25-2007, 06:00
I did the VT section in '05 starting June 1st. Met lots of younger hikers just out of school doing the Long Trail. Had a full shelter on Glastenberry...others OK. After Maine Junction it got pretty lonely. Good luck!!!!

Kembo
05-25-2007, 07:14
Last weekend I did a section hike from Sherbourne pass to Hanover and from N. Adams Mass. to the junction of the Pine Cobble trail. In 4 days I saw 3 other back packers. Had absolutely no insect problems. Have a good hike.

Quoddy
05-25-2007, 07:18
I did 23 miles in the same stretch two and a half weeks ago and saw only one couple the whole time... had Goddard shelter to myself. Bugs are just starting to emerge right now, but not bad at all, YET. I live 15 minutes from both Williamstown and Bennington.

Penne
05-26-2007, 22:46
I was out on the Long Trail Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of this week and I only saw a handful of people. My section brought me to where the LT meets the AT and on Wednesday the blackflies were horrible. They really go after me though, and they would not let me have a moment's peace.