PDA

View Full Version : TIME OUT!! To your corners.....

Wonder
05-25-2007, 10:38
So, what is going on right now?? Hmm? We get back from Trail Days and everyone has their knickers in a bunch! Some bad stuff happened at Trail Days, that cannot be denied, but you are forgeting the good that happened! We had some fun! We got to hang out with our family that we only see a couple, sometimes only once a year! I don't know about you, but when I go home, I tell my friends and family what a tight knit community we are. how I'm closer to the people in my AT family then I am with people at home. Is this no longer to be the case? Are we going to start eye-ing people down when they walk up to the shelter?
Let's remember that we are a family out here....instead of this insane personal bashing that's going on, lets try to get back to what we are known for.......being good to one another and helping out thoses who need it! Having fun, and enjoying the life of freedom that we all embrace by being hikers!
Reading WB over the past couple days has made my heart ache and my stomach turn. So, let's make our way out of the "post-Traildays funk" and move on. Huh, everyone?

Gray Blazer
05-25-2007, 11:12
Feel the love!! Thanks, Wonder.

Ewker
05-25-2007, 11:17
when you have that many people come together som bad things will happen. But the good out-weighs the bad when you look at the whole picture

hopefulhiker
05-25-2007, 11:19
What happened?

Lone Wolf
05-25-2007, 11:23
We had some fun! We got to hang out with our family that we only see a couple, sometimes only once a year! I don't know about you, but when I go home, I tell my friends and family what a tight knit community we are.

That's what The Gathering and the Rucks are for. Trail Days is a major party anymore. It draws in tons of undesireables. One day something bad is going to happen. Yup. Sure will.

Darwin again
05-25-2007, 11:30
what happened?

StarLyte
05-25-2007, 11:34
That's what The Gathering and the Rucks are for. Trail Days is a major party anymore. It draws in tons of undesireables. One day something bad is going to happen. Yup. Sure will.

NEVER had or heard of any incidents at the Gathering or the Rucks, just good folks getting together and sharing ideas, trail stories, and love.....

...and a few comedians :D

Rhino-lfl
05-25-2007, 11:56
What happened?

Yes!! Dirt dirt! Drag it through the mud! Open those wounds, here comes the salt!!

dixicritter
05-25-2007, 12:02
Rhino... grow up.

trippclark
05-25-2007, 12:20

Maybe it is just me, but the "major party" aspect holds zero appeal. In fact it is the one turn-off to Trail Days. I enjoy the scheduled seminars and programs, the vendor booths, seeing friends, and just being in the beautiful town of Damascus. I have been in 2004, 2005 and 2007; and hope to make many more.

Creek Dancer
05-25-2007, 12:44
Thank you Wonder! And thanks for the very cool custom made hiker earrings! I love them. It was good to see you again at TD.

Ewker
05-25-2007, 12:52
Maybe it is just me, but the "major party" aspect holds zero appeal. In fact it is the one turn-off to Trail Days. I enjoy the scheduled seminars and programs, the vendor booths, seeing friends, and just being in the beautiful town of Damascus. I have been in 2004, 2005 and 2007; and hope to make many more.

I thought Lion Kings PCT showing was good. I tried to see AWOL's but they were lined up and out the door.

The events held at Town Hall shouldn't have been there. To small of an area unless you got there first.

TD's is what you make it. I enjoyed this yr probably more than in the past.

sixhusbands
05-25-2007, 12:53
a few days back a fellow posted about his attempt to hike the eniter AT in 3 months. He took some heat but his gumption inpsired me to try a hike that I have dreamed about for some time. I will attempt to hike the entire AT in New Hampshire in 4 days. Starting a day break tomorrow near Glencliff and , hopefuly ending on Rt 2 sometime Tuesday afternoon.

I will let this site know on Wednesday how we did.

max patch
05-25-2007, 13:40
a few days back a fellow posted about his attempt to hike the eniter AT in 3 months. He took some heat but his gumption inpsired me to try a hike that I have dreamed about for some time. I will attempt to hike the entire AT in New Hampshire in 4 days. Starting a day break tomorrow near Glencliff and , hopefuly ending on Rt 2 sometime Tuesday afternoon.

If my mental math is correct thats like 40 miles a day, 4 days in a row. In New Hampshire. Good luck.

Wonder
05-25-2007, 13:42
Thats right....good luck...I mean it. It's always a positive thing to try and test your limits

mweinstone
05-25-2007, 13:45
bring balance to the force . this one will.

Frosty
05-25-2007, 14:19
a few days back a fellow posted about his attempt to hike the eniter AT in 3 months. He took some heat but his gumption inpsired me to try a hike that I have dreamed about for some time. I will attempt to hike the entire AT in New Hampshire in 4 days. Starting a day break tomorrow near Glencliff and , hopefuly ending on Rt 2 sometime Tuesday afternoon.Holy Moly. Did you have planned stops? Or are you just going to hike as far as you can each day? Remember the part after Glencliff is much harder (with ups and downs not only more numberous, but also steeper and higher).

Good Luck, and don't hestiate to bail for safety's sake if need be.

trippclark
05-25-2007, 14:33
I thought Lion Kings PCT showing was good. I tried to see AWOL's but they were lined up and out the door.

The events held at Town Hall shouldn't have been there. To small of an area unless you got there first.

TD's is what you make it. I enjoyed this yr probably more than in the past.

I'd have to agree that the Town Hall venue was not large enough - at least for the ones I went to there. I was early enough to get a good seat for Model-T, but when I got there for AWOL it was standing room only down the hall, and I could not see or hear well enough, so I left. Rock School is a very good venue.

Phreak
05-25-2007, 14:48
Good luck! Let us know how you do.

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 02:22
Last I checked, the entire AT in NH started in the middle of the CT River bridge just west of Hanover and ended a few miles north of Mt Success in the Mahoosucs,

emerald
05-26-2007, 12:03
Last I checked, the entire AT in NH started in the middle of the CT River bridge just west of Hanover and ended a few miles north of Mt Success in the Mahoosucs,

Thanks for your comment. I almost posted more or less the same, but didn't stick strictly to the facts and thought better of it.:o ;)

Darwin again
05-26-2007, 14:27
Mustn't let geographic facts interfere with the marketing campaign.:rolleyes:

Rufous Sided Towhee
05-26-2007, 15:31
What happened? After attending TD every year for almost a decade, we finally decided to stop attending. Each year, it seemed that the event was morphing from a fun trail-related festival to an out-of-control drunken frat-party. Last year was the final straw for us, when a huge group of drunks kept half the campground up all night, screaming "RIFF-RAFF!!!!!!!" at the top of their lungs. A 14 year old kid ended up in a coma from alcohol poisoning as well last year.

So anyway, curious what happened this year.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2007, 15:34
What happened?

So anyway, curious what happened this year.

same sort of stuff

Wonder
05-26-2007, 18:58
ok people....we're getting of track. What did you like about this year?
Me. I loved spending time with friends from last year at dots....singing our lungs out!

Uncle Silly
05-27-2007, 17:08
I loved getting to hang out downtown for once, meeting lots of new friends, throwing water balloons at the parade (I missed both previous years), and of course pickin' on the ol' banjo...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-27-2007, 22:25
::: Dino tail flicks a water balloon at Wonder and knows she will be feeling the love :::

We didn't stay in the campground this year and the whole experience was different. It was much quieter, but I missed rubbing elbows with the thru's. I was really glad to be away from the hardcore partying when I got ready to get some dino beauty sleep.

Gaiter
05-27-2007, 22:40
It was my first trail days and i had a blast, almost didn't make it, hopeful gave me a ride there and then found a ride back while sitting in the baja. I did the opposite of the dino's (not that their way was a bad way), I stayed almost completely in the tent city area w/ the exception of a morning walk to cowboys, then for the parade, and dinner at the baja, never even made it to the vendor area, meet soooo many thrus, got to see many of the thrus that i had already meet over spring break and a few from last year. I'm now behind w/ school work and have been suffering from some major sleep deprivation this whole week, but i don't care, going to trail days was worth it.

-gaiter

chomp
05-28-2007, 22:11

Actually, the AT in NH starts on the western edge of the bridge over the CT river. Last I checked, the NH boundry went all the way to the high water mark on the western edge of the ol' CT. (Yes, we screwed VT out of some property, and tried to do the same to Maine, but they had the good sense to fight it.)

The Old Fhart
05-28-2007, 22:43
Chomp-"Actually, the AT in NH starts on the western edge of the bridge over the CT river."Darn internegator! Of course you're right* but how dare you question the great one's edict, you weren't there and he was!:D

Actually what SixHusbands (from the trail of the same name) probably meant, although it wasn't worded clearly, was what is generally thought of as the Whites. Glencliff is about 43 miles from VT by trail and RT-2 is about 16 miles from Maine meaning Sixhusbands would have about 100 miles to do thru the White Mountains in 4 days, or about 25 miles per day. Ambitious-yes, impossible-no.

*The border of New Hampshire with Vermont is as established and marked on land in accordance with the decision in Vermont v. New Hampshire, 290 U.S. 579 (1933). (http://supreme.justia.com/us/290/579/case.html) and is the low-water mark on the western bank of the river. That makes jumping from anywhere on the bridge into the river a violation of NH law.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-29-2007, 11:54
It was my first trail days and i had a blast, almost didn't make it, hopeful gave me a ride there and then found a ride back while sitting in the baja. I did the opposite of the dino's (not that their way was a bad way), I stayed almost completely in the tent city area w/ the exception of a morning walk to cowboys, then for the parade, and dinner at the baja, never even made it to the vendor area, meet soooo many thrus, got to see many of the thrus that i had already meet over spring break and a few from last year. I'm now behind w/ school work and have been suffering from some major sleep deprivation this whole week, but i don't care, going to trail days was worth it.We will likely stay in the tent city next year. As the lovely redhead notes, even with all the problems, the magic that happens in the tent city is worth it.

::: dino tail flicks another water balloon at Wonder just knowing she will fire back soon. I believe the balloons at TD are filled with love and it only looks like water... :::

mweinstone
05-29-2007, 18:06
i liked not having to give the shirt i made for chomp and vsa away to chomp and vsa cause i want it and im a indian giver. sorry chompster.

emerald
05-29-2007, 18:44
The border of New Hampshire with Vermont is as established and marked on land in accordance with the decision in Vermont v. New Hampshire, 290 U.S. 579 (1933). (http://supreme.justia.com/us/290/579/case.html) and is the low-water mark on the western bank of the river. That makes jumping from anywhere on the bridge into the river a violation of NH law.;)

You prompted me to recall a photo (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=171567) of that spot I saw not long ago. Someone else crossed that bridge not long afterwards.:D

What about jumping from the Vermont side into water above the low water mark? Also, is skinny dipping allowed above the low water mark from the west bank when the water's high enough so long as no portion of one's body crosses the state line, or do I get a ticket just for asking a question like that?

Wonder
05-29-2007, 23:44
****WOnder gets to computer and flicks a ballon of love at Dino*****
Been on 81 all day, and now I'm back in West Chester, Pa. Geting ready to pack, say goodbye to my family and cat, move to Damascus......3 weeks! Really looking forward to it!

Heater
05-29-2007, 23:49
****WOnder gets to computer and flicks a ballon of love at Dino*****
Been on 81 all day, and now I'm back in West Chester, Pa. Geting ready to pack, say goodbye to my family and cat, move to Damascus......3 weeks! Really looking forward to it!

It is a beautiful place. I hope I will meet you some day because you seem like a pretty cool chick... ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2007, 10:52
::: dino licks love off face (as dinos lack hands) and looks forward to having Wonder living much closer :::

Wonder
05-30-2007, 17:12
Awww....y'all are sweet enough to make a girl feel homesick. Looking forward to being back down there. Am loving the cheesesteaks and water ice though!

Heater
05-30-2007, 17:19
Awww....y'all are sweet enough to make a girl feel homesick. Looking forward to being back down there. Am loving the cheesesteaks and water ice though!

HYuh? :confused:

Is there a difference between ice made with water and water ice?

Gaiter
05-30-2007, 17:21
and is water ice any different from ice water?

Uncle Silly
05-30-2007, 17:46

apparently the difference is in the flavoring. (and/or coloring?) i think what those Yankees call "water ice" is what we'd call "icees" down here... think frozen kool-aid or tang. :)

Jimmers
05-30-2007, 17:48

Uncultured Heathens! ;)
Water ice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_water_ice) is one of the finest culinary creations ever, possibly better than ice cream. You're all just missing out on a very good thing.

Uncle Silly
05-30-2007, 17:54
ah, ok. why didn't ya just say "italian ice"? we've heard of such things here. but "water ice" just sounds to us like.... well, like "ice". only... redundant. :)

Jimmers
05-30-2007, 18:03
ah, ok. why didn't ya just say "italian ice"? we've heard of such things here. but "water ice" just sounds to us like.... well, like "ice". only... redundant. :)

Because no one born and raised anywhere near Philly calls it Italian ice. It's just Water Ice. (must sound funny to the uninitiated though):sun

Wonder
05-30-2007, 19:10
Those southern boys, I tell ya. Never even had a proper pretzel.
The sweet icy, fruity(or rootbeer,mmmm) goodness of water ice! Marrones, Rocco....or...the Queen of all water ice RITAS!!!!
Dam, I just got back an now I gotta go get a ritas....thinkin pineapple

warren doyle
05-31-2007, 10:34
Contrary to the internegator's interpretation (post #30), I want to thank Chomp (post #29) for his information of where the NH/VT border starts. I am always interested in obtaining factual information on the trail.
Next time I cross the bridge (this July), I'll check to see if the highway department has it accurately signed.
Happy trails!

The Old Fhart
05-31-2007, 10:43
WD-"I am always interested in obtaining factual information on the trail."And the rest of the hiking world is interested in seeing that you only post factual information on the ENTIRE® trail.:D

Mags
05-31-2007, 11:45

You gotta check out www.dels.com. A Rhody instituion. Supposedly an old familly recipe brought over from Naples (Del's is owned by the DeLucia family..)

Ah..good memories.

minnesotasmith
05-31-2007, 14:33

See if you can hike Georgia in 4 days first, and the Whites in any time frame.

Wonder
05-31-2007, 17:34
MMmmmmmm just had my thrid Water ice today! I"m on a mission, one trip to Ritas a day until I go back to Va.......I'm up for the challange!

Jimmers
05-31-2007, 17:36
MMmmmmmm just had my thrid Water ice today! I"m on a mission, one trip to Ritas a day until I go back to Va.......I'm up for the challange!

Maybe you should buy a few quarts and introduce the people of Damascus to what they're missing? Save a few for yourself, of course!:D

Uncle Silly
06-01-2007, 03:42
Maybe you should buy a few quarts and introduce the people of Damascus to what they're missing? Save a few for yourself, of course!:D

after all this hubbub, she's officially in trouble if she doesn't bring me some... :D

mweinstone
06-01-2007, 06:52
i only called you names because im an ass like that. you can attack my friend baltimore jack tarlin all you want. just dont ever under any surcomstances abreviate his name. he absolutly hates that. i met you and your okay. we just differ on all points is all.i respect your hiking and your presentations. i hate your hate of jack.

Wonder
06-01-2007, 11:59
after all this hubbub, she's officially in trouble if she doesn't bring me some... :D

Ok, ok.....it won't be the same...but I'll put a cooler and dry ice on the list:rolleyes:
Maybe I'll just open a Ritas franchise in Damascus....I can see it now. They'll come from miles around.......:-?

Ewker
06-01-2007, 12:01

ok I got in later on this..what is water ice..shouldn't that be ice water

jlb2012
06-01-2007, 12:10
ok I got in later on this..what is water ice..shouldn't that be ice water

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_water_ice

Wonder
06-01-2007, 12:13
Oh no.......not ice water. This frozen, wonderful concoction of fruit, and sugar......the good kind with chunks of fruit.......brain freezingly fantastic.
First eat slowly with plastic spoon, while the warmth of your had and sweltering tempratures found here in the lowlands melt the goodness on the bottom. Then at that perfect moment, when it's half ice and half sticky, drinkable liquid....you swirl and sip...........oh, god...now I gotta go there again! Good thing ritas is only 3 miles away! There has got to be a 12 step program for this or something.
~~~Can anyone else tell that I still have a little hiker hunger going on here??~~~

Ewker
06-01-2007, 12:20
kind of like a Slushie but with fruit

Wonder
06-01-2007, 12:30
Yea, like a slushie...but a little thicker, no corn syrup. I feel a cherry/choc combo coming on!

Mags
06-01-2007, 13:21
kind of like a Slushie but with fruit

And made with real ingredients. No artificial colors or sweetners.

If the Italian ice was invented today, it would be sold in Whole Paycheck for 3x the money. ;)

Lugnut
06-09-2007, 18:33
Wonder, Rita's just opened a store near me. I'm going to check it out! :banana

TIDE-HSV
06-09-2007, 19:57
Is this the same stuff that's sold in Italian restaurants in far-south Huntsville, AL as "gelato?"

Lugnut
06-09-2007, 23:28
Probably. They advertised it as Itallian Ice/Water Ice. What's gelato translate to?

TIDE-HSV
06-10-2007, 00:08
"gelato," in Italian just translates into "ice cream." I do know it's slow churned and the equipment to do it right costs a fortune, imported from Italy. I think it's something different from the shaved ice concoction discussed above...

beamarshall
06-10-2007, 00:49
IIRC gelato has considerably more cream/heavy cream than average American ice cream.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-10-2007, 07:26
Tide, gelato is not the same as Italian ice water. Italian ice is basically frozen juice shaved into a drinkable state. Both are delicious.

Wonder
06-10-2007, 09:17
Wonder, Rita's just opened a store near me. I'm going to check it out! :banana

YOu must.....try a few different flavors....I"m partial to rootbeer, choc, and any fruit

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-10-2007, 09:49
Wahndur, get back over to the Hillybilly thread and drink your sweetened iced tea.

Wonder
06-10-2007, 21:50
But I hate sweet tea............

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-10-2007, 21:55
::: Dino realizes converting Wahndur to a southern girl may take longer than previously thought. :::

Wonder
06-11-2007, 17:22
I admit.....at least my taste buds will always long for philly. I better keep getting my fill. I'm only offically a yankee(in address anyway) for another 4 days!! I'm going nuts gettting everything ready for the move on sat., but thanks to a great mom, and a wonderful family of hikers....this thing may actually happen!

Mags
06-11-2007, 17:38
IIRC gelato has considerably more cream/heavy cream than average American ice cream.

Has less cream actually, just a bit denser due to more eggs and more milk.
http://www.worldoficecream.com/icecream_vs_gelato.htm

They are both yummy and homemade ice cream or gelato can't be beat.