PDA

View Full Version : Balance Issues?

AlbertaHiker23
05-26-2007, 00:21
If I have a slight balance problem (Very mild Cerebral Palsy), how often will my balance come into play while on the trail? I am expecting a few falls along the way, but how often is balance a life or death situation? Is there any?

rafe
05-26-2007, 00:23
If I have a slight balance problem (Very mild Cerebral Palsy), how often will my balance come into play while on the trail? I am expecting a few falls along the way, but how often is balance a life or death situation? Is there any?

Rarely life and death, though there will be occasional log bridges across streams. You definitely want hiking poles or at the very least, a hiking staff.

Slosteppin
05-26-2007, 09:13

I don't know about the AT except Maine, over 20 years ago. My guess is that the only place it would be a real problem might be the north end of the trail.

I hike with a friend who is in the early stages of Parkinson's. He was told to always use two hiking poles. We are planning to hike around Isle Royale in August. I'm worried but if his doctor and his wife agree that he can go, we will.

Slosteppin

Lyle
05-26-2007, 10:12
Just off the top of my head, coming down off Dragon's Tooth in VA could be dangerous with balance issues. Other people have managed the whole trail tho with similar problems. I'm sure you will find a way that works for you.

middle to middle
05-26-2007, 10:12
When I hiked I had a balance problem with Multiple Sclerosis. Always gave me long thoughts about rockytrails.. and clif edges.I did not like Penn. because it has so many boulders on the trail. I crawled around many places, I see the knee pads the solgers wear probably a good idea. You can do it just use your head. A good pack with tight waist belt. I used a Gregory I could really crank tight and I think it healped stabalize me a good deal.
Wen i would tell someone I had a health problem they were mostly very accomidating and helpful. Then they would tell me about their issues. Everyone out there is on an adventure overcoming problems of one sort or another.

Just Do It
You are on the right track

Tom

Lyle
05-26-2007, 10:14
Slosteppin,

If you haven't been to Isle Royale, you are in for a treat! LOVE that place.