PDA

View Full Version : Outlines Cut Around Blazes in GA

Tumblerisk
05-26-2007, 01:46
While I was hiking the trail here in GA this week, I noticed that in certain sections, a lot of the blazes had an outline cut around them. the lines of the outline are only the width of a pocket knifeor similar blade and exactly followed the edges of the paint. Does anyone know if there is a purpose for this, or was it just vandalism? If it helps any, I noticed it mostly between Dicks Creek Gap and Bly Gap.

emerald
05-26-2007, 12:14
Probably some GATC folks can and will post on this subject. I'm not certain what you're describing, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone refreshing blazes was creating a surface to which paint might better adhere or else was resizing blazes on young trees that no longer were 2x6 inches.

Tumblerisk
05-26-2007, 16:57
Good theory based on the descrition I gave, but as I read back over my orig post, I realized it was not clear enough. There was nothing done to the bark around the blaze. I have seen some trees where it looks like the bark has been flattened in preparation to be painted, and these blazes don't look like that. It's looks like someone took a knife and traced a line around a blaze that was already painted.

emerald
05-26-2007, 17:04
Perhaps the blazes weren't painted freehand. Maybe a template or even tape:rolleyes: was used.

Darwin again
05-26-2007, 19:45
The blazes in Georgia are done with sharp edges. It's part of the GATC's modus operandi, as described in their club rule book. The have standards to which the painted blazes must conform in order to not appear sloppy or be mistaken for mold or moss of whatever. The only reason I know this is that I read the GATC guidelines for blaze painting that were posted on the front of Deep Gap shelter, just before the road to Hiawassee.

emerald
05-26-2007, 19:56
... moss of whatever.

Moss of whatever? I thought moss was comprised of moss! At least that's what it was made of in the good old days.:eek:

Darwin again
05-26-2007, 22:49
Typos. Lichens, I meant.

emerald
05-26-2007, 23:07
You can't fool me, I know a typo when I see someone else's. You're trying to pass off as a typo what was obviously wordy.:D

Frosty
05-27-2007, 00:59
You can't fool me, I know a typo when I see someone else's. You're trying to pass off as a typo what was obviously wordy.:DNo, I'm "lichen" the explanation he gave...

Darwin again
05-27-2007, 01:33
I'm busted. A simple typo would have been a letter or two out of place... this was some kind of a thought-word misconstruance or unconformity or misalignment. This is a strict forum, so better not dilly dally.

After I pulled in to the deep gap shelter in the dark and threw up from the climb up that knob, kelly knob I think, I passed out. When I awoke the next morning, all the shelterers were pulling out and I had the place to myself ans so I took my time and read the literature posted by the GATC about how to paint blazes. The blazes in Georgia are among the finest on the trail, quality-wise speaking. Not to be mistaken for errant lichen, nosiree.

emerald
05-27-2007, 12:56
I'm busted. A simple typo would have been a letter or two out of place... this was some kind of a thought-word misconstruance or unconformity or misalignment. This is a strict forum, so better not dilly dally.

Glad to see you owned up to it. I was afraid you'd come back at me with some negative waves.

After I pulled in to the deep gap shelter in the dark and threw up from the climb up that knob, kelly knob I think, I passed out. When I awoke the next morning, all the shelterers were pulling out and I had the place to myself ans [Shades of Gray's emboldened s] so I took my time and read the literature posted by the GATC about how to paint blazes. The blazes in Georgia are among the finest on the trail, quality-wise speaking. Not to be mistaken for errant lichen, nosiree.

Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding. I was afraid you were expecting me to buy something about a symbiotic relationship between moss and paint.:D

ardeaitch
05-27-2007, 18:56
I just came back from an overnight from Nimblewill Gap to Cooper Gap. The area around Stover Creek is being relocated, in fact opening today. Also a new 12 person shelter to replace the 6 person shelter. Depending on where you saw the outlined blazes, they may have been preparing them for removal - which they did yesterday...