PDA

View Full Version : Moose had a bad day..or two?

woodsy
05-26-2007, 08:37
Found some pics at this link (http://www.mainenature.org/)
which some may find interesting and some may find disturbing. It's reality in the Wilds of Maine. Notice how well nature leaves nothing to waste.

buckowens
05-26-2007, 09:24
Cool pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Amazing how nature works. It make me wonder if we should spend days trying to shoo whales back out to sea...

Just a Hiker
05-26-2007, 09:44
Moose are dumb.......But they taste good!

woodsy
05-27-2007, 08:59

By the looks of the carcass, the coyotes thought it tasted good too!

walkin' wally
05-27-2007, 11:53
I have seen something similar to this when my wife and I hiked the Eagle Rock trail on the west end of Big Moose Mountain a few days ago west of Greenville Maine. A moose had died trying to free itself from deep snow this past winter and was decomposing in the middle of the trail as we neared the summit rock. The moose was actually laying on it's head.
To give some idea of the snow depth there this past winter, bark was peeled off striped maple trees about twelve feet above the ground. Striped maple is a favorite food of moose in the winter.

There is still snow along the sides of this mountain as of a few days ago.

neighbor dave
05-27-2007, 12:24

:-? your statement says alot about your intelligence.
i'm sure humans have found themselves in worse scenerios.:-?

Phreak
05-27-2007, 14:02
Neat pics!

woodsy
05-27-2007, 17:54
If you hike in the far northeast( Moose country) you are apt to experience something similar to what Walkin Wally described.
Moose are abundant in the Mountains and die from sometimes unknown causes.
Came across one all bloated and stinkin to high heaven on a high trail to the Tumbledown Mtns, not far south of the AT. Couldn't see any physical cause of death other than maybe old age or disease.
The Ravens were abundant though.