PDA

View Full Version : Virginia trailside property for sale

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 10:17
4-5 bedroom historic farmhouse; three porches; stream/pond in back yard; reliable springs on property; large wormy chestnut barn in good shape (can be converted into warm weather hostel/workshop or community center); two other outbuildings for storage and/or cold weather hostel.

10 acres of land - approximately two-three acres of flat creek bottom (good parking area for cars of section hikers being shuttled; or a garden); approximately three-four acres of flat, low ridgetop adjacent to trail corridor (potential cabin sites out of the trail viewshed); remaining acreage is sloped.

Location: on Rt. 683; 1.5 miles from exit 54 on I-81 (where the trail crosses at Groseclose/Atkins, VA); .3 miles off the trail via wagon road (about .5 south of the one-room schoolhouse at the Settlers Museum); within 1-1.5 hour drive of all features in the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area.

I purchased the house in 1986 with the hopes of living there some day but my path hasn't, and will not, lead me there. It has been rented out since 1986. Present annual rental income is $7,200 and annual property tax/insurance amount to just under $1,000.

This is an excellent opportunity for someone who would like to start a hostel/shuttle service along the trail (similar to Honey and Bear's Cabin in Maine). Shuttle/slackpacking services could be easily provided between Damascus and Daleville due to easy road access to I-81 (Atkins/Daleville); I-77 (Bland/Bastian); and Rt. 460 (Pearisburg).

House will be shown to serious inquirers only during the month of June. Sealed bids, with evidence of solid financing, will be accepted until June 30. Decision will be made on or around July 4th with transfer of ownership by the early fall.

Minimum bid - $200,000.

If interested, please contact me at my e-mail address below.

Happy trails!

StarLyte
05-26-2007, 10:20
Sounds like heaven, and a dream hostel.

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 10:29
It is for someone with the dream/vision and desire.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2007, 10:31
The old AT used to pass in front of it. Nice piece of property. I always thought it would make a nice hostel. Back when I liked hikers.:cool:

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 10:46
That it did. That it is. That it will become.

Lilred
05-26-2007, 11:30
DangIT Warren, we just bought a new house not a month ago. Wow, this would have been so tempting. Good luck with the selling. I hope someone trail and hiker friendly gets it.

Moon Monster
05-26-2007, 12:36
I am not yet in the point in my life to consider this, but I thank you for providing me some daydreaming material and the notice to this board.

cutman11
05-26-2007, 13:49
Would the wagon road turnoff be about 10 or 11 trail miles north of the partnership shelter?

Local
05-26-2007, 13:55
Too far. Too bad. If this were within a few miles of Damascus it would be sold already. I know of two groups looking for property like this in the Damascus area. Best of luck with the sale. Maybe one of them thar rich Floridians will wander by.

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 14:03
The wagon road cutoff is .7 miles past VA615 (one-room schoolhouse at the Settlers Museum) which would put it about 10 miles north of Partnership Shelter.

It is less than an hour drive (approximately 40-45 miles) to Damascus, 25 miles on I-81 and less than 20 miles on two-lane.

simon
05-26-2007, 14:11
Sounds like a really sweet place. Where are the pictures or the realtor's website?

warren doyle
05-26-2007, 14:46
I'm selling it myself. I have no pictures of it that I can transmit electronically. The farmhouse is a two story with first and second floor front porches and a patio deck in the back. The bottom floor has four rooms, a pantry and a bathroom. The second floor has four rooms and a bathroom.
The basement is unfinished.
The house could use a paint job or vinyl siding. It has a good tin roof and structurally the building is sound without any insect infestation.
When I would walk by it on the trail in the 1970's and early 1980's, the house/barn/pond/lawn/hollow setting was always pleasing to my eye and I thought that I would want to live there. As I walked by it in 1986, there was a 'for sale' sign in front and I bought it.

Jack Tarlin
05-31-2007, 13:11
While I wish Mr. Doyle well with the sale of his property, I can't help but be amused: 0n 8-17-06, on another thread dealing with the A.T. Museum, Mr. Doyle suggested Groseclose VA as the perfect place for the proposed A.T. Museum.

Several folks at the time, myself included, posted that they couldn't for the life of them figure out what was so historically or geographically significant about Groseclose, and why it'd be a better location for the planned Museum than Harpers Ferry, Damascus, or any of the other proposed locations.

In short, nobody last August could possibly figure out what was so great about Groseclose, or why Mr. Doyle thought it was such a perfect location.

Now it becomes clear....could it just possibly be that Mr. Doyle hoped to rent or lease his property to the folks planning the Museum?

Gee, do ya think??

And even more humorously, in suggesting Groseclose as the perfect site of the new museum, Mr. Doyle was at pains to point out that siting the museum there would work because the site had "plenty of space, great public access, lower living expenses" and putting the museum there would be "helping the local economy."

Yeah, I guess it would, especially if one had property in the area one wanted to sell or rent!!

Anyway, I now understand why Mr. Doyle proposed Groseclose as the "perfect" museum location, even tho the idea seemed quite odd when he first presented it.

I now understand his motives entirely.

And so does everyone else.

warren doyle
05-31-2007, 13:35
"I now understand his motives entirely."
(Internegator interpretation)

On this particular matter, you understand nothing about my motives.

Darwin again
05-31-2007, 13:40
While I wish Mr. Doyle well with the sale of his property, I can't help but be amused: 0n 8-17-06, on another thread dealing with the A.T. Museum, Mr. Doyle suggested Groseclose VA as the perfect place for the proposed A.T. Museum.

Several folks at the time, myself included, posted that they couldn't for the life of them figure out what was so historically or geographically significant about Groseclose, and why it'd be a better location for the planned Museum than Harpers Ferry, Damascus, or any of the other proposed locations.

In short, nobody last August could possibly figure out what was so great about Groseclose, or why Mr. Doyle thought it was such a perfect location.

Now it becomes clear....could it just possibly be that Mr. Doyle hoped to rent or lease his property to the folks planning the Museum?

Gee, do ya think??

And even more humorously, in suggesting Groseclose as the perfect site of the new museum, Mr. Doyle was at pains to point out that siting the museum there would work because the site had "plenty of space, great public access, lower living expenses" and putting the museum there would be "helping the local economy."

Yeah, I guess it would, especially if one had property in the area one wanted to sell or rent!!

Anyway, I now understand why Mr. Doyle proposed Groseclose as the "perfect" museum location, even tho the idea seemed quite odd when he first presented it.

I now understand his motives entirely.

And so does everyone else.

Um. So. What.
Is this the Expose Channel?

What a man does with his property is his own business.
Not yours, I think.

There's nothing wrong with profiting while helping a good cause, is there? That would be a win-win situation. I'd call an AT museum, or whatever, a higher use of the resource than, say, selling off the land to McMansion developers.

With real property ownership comes responsibility -- which some of us are obviously free from and oblivious to, and therefore do not understand. If I had property like that, I'd certainly yearn for its higest use if I thought it might pass from my stewardship.

Sometimes it's not wise to project imagined motives onto others since it reveals so much about ourselves. :-?

Heater
05-31-2007, 14:30
4-5 bedroom historic farmhouse; three porches; stream/pond in back yard; reliable springs on property; large wormy chestnut barn in good shape (can be converted into warm weather hostel/workshop or community center); two other outbuildings for storage and/or cold weather hostel.

10 acres of land - approximately two-three acres of flat creek bottom (good parking area for cars of section hikers being shuttled; or a garden); approximately three-four acres of flat, low ridgetop adjacent to trail corridor (potential cabin sites out of the trail viewshed); remaining acreage is sloped.

Location: on Rt. 683; 1.5 miles from exit 54 on I-81 (where the trail crosses at Groseclose/Atkins, VA); .3 miles off the trail via wagon road (about .5 south of the one-room schoolhouse at the Settlers Museum); within 1-1.5 hour drive of all features in the Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area.

I purchased the house in 1986 with the hopes of living there some day but my path hasn't, and will not, lead me there. It has been rented out since 1986. Present annual rental income is $7,200 and annual property tax/insurance amount to just under $1,000.

This is an excellent opportunity for someone who would like to start a hostel/shuttle service along the trail (similar to Honey and Bear's Cabin in Maine). Shuttle/slackpacking services could be easily provided between Damascus and Daleville due to easy road access to I-81 (Atkins/Daleville); I-77 (Bland/Bastian); and Rt. 460 (Pearisburg).

House will be shown to serious inquirers only during the month of June. Sealed bids, with evidence of solid financing, will be accepted until June 30. Decision will be made on or around July 4th with transfer of ownership by the early fall.

Minimum bid - $200,000.

If interested, please contact me at my e-mail address below.

Happy trails!

Sounds like something to really consider.

Unfortunately I am about 35K short of that so I'll have to pass.

Vi+
05-31-2007, 14:56
Warren,

I’m not trying to argue with or embarrass you, I’m just curious. I could even be a prospective buyer. Other White Blaze readers may also find additional information useful, both for themselves as well as for others whom they know.

1. What makes this house historic?

Structures:

2. When was the house first built? Have there been any additions?

3. You advise the residence has four to five bedrooms. When you consider this a four bedroom house, for what other purpose would you consider the “fifth bedroom” suitable?

4. Room sizes: Please provide.

5. For what purpose are the four rooms of the bottom floor put?

6. Are the bathroom and pantry included as part of those four rooms?

7. For what purpose are the four rooms of the second floor put?

8. Is the bathroom included as part of those four rooms?

9. Of what is the basement is constructed? Dirt floor?

10. Of what material(s) is the exterior constructed?

11. When was the outside last painted?

12. Wouldn’t covering the exterior with siding diminish its historic value?

13. Are the interior walls drywall or something else?

14. What material is the insulation? How thick?

15. In what condition are the patio deck, three porches, house, barn, and two outbuildings?

16. When you describe this as a “wormy chestnut barn” are you saying “wormy” as in the passive sense, where the style is that worms have made their mark but are no longer present, or in the more active sense that worms remain active in the wood?

17. What are the sizes of the house, barn, and two outbuildings?

Lot:

18. How wide, long, deep are the stream and pond in the back yard? Any idea of water volume?

19. How often do the springs dry out? What is the source(s) of drinking water?

20. How often does the flat creek bottom flood?

21. Are the dwellings always two-wheel-drive vehicle accessible, especially during the spring flood season?

22. How is the three to four acre flat, low ridge top land situated? A square, rectangle running lengthwise with the AT Corridor, triangular, etc?

23. Regarding “adjacent to trail corridor,” how far is this from the actual Appalachian Trail footpath?

24. Regarding the remaining sloping land, is it sloping uphill or downhill away from the house?

25. Is the view from the house over an open expanse or up a slope?

Rental:

26. How many tenants have lived here since 1986?

27. How long have the periods of vacancy been?

28. Would you mind if I spoke with the current tenants? If that’s alright, please PM me with their names and telephone number(s).

Sale:

29. What constitutes evidence of solid financing?

30. Would you accept a contract contingent upon the sale of an existing home?

Other:

31. Where could I determine the location(s) of hospital(s), number of physicians, lawyers, gyms, schools, libraries, etc, in around and near Damascus?

These are a lot of questions, but you’re appealing to a limited group of potential buyers many of whom won’t consider your house to be on the beaten path, heh, heh. Besides, you’re selling it yourself, and you had nothing else to do anyway. ; )

Thanks.

Frosty
05-31-2007, 15:21
I’m just curious.

28. Would you mind if I spoke with the current tenants? If that’s alright, please PM me with their names and telephone number(s).

30. Would you accept a contract contingent upon the sale of an existing home?28. If you are a serious buyer, contact him and ask. I don't think it is appropriate to have people bothering current tenants unless you are serious intending to buy or considering to buying. Tenants should not be bothered unnecessarily, certainly not because you are "curious."

29. A real estate listing, here or anywhere, describes a property and if you are interested, you look into it. Things like financing don't matter if you aren't going to even look at the house with the possibility of buying it.

30. Have you bought a house before? You put whatever you want into the offer. Just write the wording into the contract and he will accept it or not. Just because a seller says he doesn't want that beforehand, sometimes their minds change when they hold a $20,000 deposit check in their hands. Puts a whole new slant on the question when saying no means giving back the check.

etc etc etc

Leave the guy alone. He's offering AT-interested people first crack at buying. What's wrong with that? If no one is interested, then he can sell to someone who wants to build a Go-Kart track or whatever on the property.

Tim Rich
05-31-2007, 15:21
Those are some good questions. Conversion costs to an operating hostel (additional bathroom/septic system, converting outbuildings, kitchen capacity, general repair) would need to be factored in to see at what useage level it would cash flow. At its current net income of $6,200 a year (assuming no maintenance expenses), a very liberal 6% cap rate suggests a value well below the bid minimum.

Our hearts are with the AT, but our wallets (at least mine) are too thin to be swayed by emotion. It's got to make economic sense or a hostel will be a one-season wonder.

Take Care,

Tim

Darwin again
05-31-2007, 15:41
That's a good set of questions from a potential buyer. If you've ever bought, you know...:rolleyes:

Alligator
05-31-2007, 16:25
Here's an aerial photo:) . Don't know the age of the photo. There are two somewhat centered parcels bisected by the road. The left one has a tear dropped shaped pond(?) with two larger buildings and a smaller one in the middle. The right parcel is about the same size.

I'm guessing Warren is selling both parcels as they are about 5 acres each.

Uncle Silly
06-01-2007, 03:52
I agree. Good questions, and thanks to Vi+ to posting them, from this non-home-owner who might be in the market someday. My curiosity is piqued; if Warren cares to answer some or all, I'll be reading. (Can't say I'd fault him if he saved his responses for serious, private inquiries, though.)

warren doyle
06-02-2007, 17:14
Thanks for posting that aerial photo. That is the property although the lower left-hand border is actually below the outbuilding and the pond (meaning the property includes the outbuilding and the entire pond).

Good response so far. Will be showing it to several interesting parties in the next couple of days.

warren doyle
06-02-2007, 17:19
The cost to convert the outbuildings would vary depending on what kind of hostel the owner would want - a Kincora model or a Bears Den model?

It doesn't have to cost a lot.

It doesn't have to have a kitchen - a covered pavilion would do.
It doesn't have to have indoor plumbing or heat either.

Also, there are very few building restrictions in this 'neck of the woods'.

brotheral
06-02-2007, 20:02
Warren,
If you're interested in selling this house and property, it should be easy enough to post some pictures for potential buyers....If you don't have any, Take some !! I'd like to see them....
Brotheral

warren doyle
06-03-2007, 00:20

Answer #1: It is over 100 years old (ie. original structure), built in a hollow where there was a reliable spring, and the home of the first principal (Lindamood) of the local school.

Structures:

2. When was the house first built? Have there been any additions?
Answer #2: Turn of the century. At least three additions.

3. You advise the residence has four to five bedrooms. When you consider this a four bedroom house, for what other purpose would you consider the “fifth bedroom” suitable?
Answer #3: A study or an office.

4. Room sizes: Please provide.
Answer #4: Don't know exact measurements but they are in the 10-12' x 12-16' range.

5. For what purpose are the four rooms of the bottom floor put?
Answer #5: Kitchen; dining room; bedroom; living room.

6. Are the bathroom and pantry included as part of those four rooms?
Answer #6: No, they are in addition to the four rooms. Ist floor also contains a front porch and a back patio.

7. For what purpose are the four rooms of the second floor put?
Answer #7: Three bedrooms; office/study.

8. Is the bathroom included as part of those four rooms?
Answer #8: The spacious second floor bathroom is not included in the four rooms. Second floor also has a front porch.

9. Of what is the basement is constructed? Dirt floor?
Answer #9: Half basement/dirt.

10. Of what material(s) is the exterior constructed?
Answer #10: Wood clapboard paneling.

11. When was the outside last painted?
Answer #11: About 15 years ago. It could use a paint job.

12. Wouldn’t covering the exterior with siding diminish its historic value?
Answer #12: In my opinion, no.

13. Are the interior walls drywall or something else?
Answer #13: Drywall.

14. What material is the insulation? How thick?
Answer #14: Don't know. I do know the house isn't drafty and holds heat quite well in the winter.

15. In what condition are the patio deck, three porches, house, barn, and two outbuildings?
Answer #15: Patio deck - good; two porches - good; house - needs paint job, structurally sound, no termites, roof might need replacing in the next five years; barn - good; two outbuildings - fair to good.

16. When you describe this as a “wormy chestnut barn” are you saying “wormy” as in the passive sense, where the style is that worms have made their mark but are no longer present, or in the more active sense that worms remain active in the wood?
Answer #16: The former.

17. What are the sizes of the house, barn, and two outbuildings?
Answer #17: House - don't know for sure; barn - large w/lower and upper levels; Two outbuildings: 20' x 20'; 30' x 25'

Lot:

18. How wide, long, deep are the stream and pond in the back yard? Any idea of water volume?
Answer #18: stream is shallow; pond is about 4-5' deep; it is a small stream coming from Glade Mt. in Jefferson National Forest/Mt. Robers National Recreation area.

19. How often do the springs dry out? What is the source(s) of drinking water?
Answer #19: In the 21 years I have owned the property, neither the well nor the spring has gone dry. Locals hav etold me that the spring has never gone dry.

20. How often does the flat creek bottom flood?
Answer #20: Once or twice a year.

21. Are the dwellings always two-wheel-drive vehicle accessible, especially during the spring flood season?
Answer #21 - They are always two-wheel-drive accessible since they are only about 20-25' from the single paved road (former AT).

22. How is the three to four acre flat, low ridge top land situated? A square, rectangle running lengthwise with the AT Corridor, triangular, etc?
Answer #22 - Square. See Alligator's post for aerial photo. Right edge of property is adjacent to the trail corridor.

23. Regarding “adjacent to trail corridor,” how far is this from the actual Appalachian Trail footpath?
Answer #22 - The edge of the property is about 1,000' from the actual trail and the house is about 2000' from the trail.

24. Regarding the remaining sloping land, is it sloping uphill or downhill away from the house?
Answer #23 - uphill

25. Is the view from the house over an open expanse or up a slope?
Answer #24 - The house is nestled in a hollow so you are looking up a slope. The view from the back is lawn, pond, and uphill slope. Th eview from the front is road and uphill slope. There is a downstream view with barn and an upstream view with larel thicket uphill slope.

Rental:

26. How many tenants have lived here since 1986?
Answer #26 - Four.

27. How long have the periods of vacancy been?
Answer #27 - Two months. My Dad 'housesat' it during this time.

Answer #28 - Yes, I would mind.

Sale:

Answer: Winning bid ($200,000 minimum bid). Deed turned over when paid in full.

30. Would you accept a contract contingent upon the sale of an existing home?
Answer #30: I am going to sell it to the highest bidder who can buy it as soon as possible.

I will be showing it to several interested parties during the next three days (and for the rest of th emonth of June).

Other:

31. Where could I determine the location(s) of hospital(s), number of physicians, lawyers, gyms, schools, libraries, etc, in around and near Damascus?
Answer #31: The closest towns are Marion and Wytheville (within a half-hour drive). Within an hour drive are the small cities of Radford, VA and Bristol/Abingdon VA. Google them for the info you desire.

Lyle
06-03-2007, 09:44
Sounds like a fantastic property! Unfortunately out of my price range right now. Hope you find a good buyer for it Warren.

Best of luck.

chief
06-03-2007, 11:38
Cap rates and economic sense don't much apply to a hostel where you would expect it to also be the owner's residence. Fees or donations couldn't be expected to do more than defray some of the cost of ownership. Hopefully, the eventual buyer won't be foolish enough to see the property as a profitable enterprise. With a little TLC and some pride of ownership (according to Warren's description), it sounds like a great place to live, with or without hikers.

Tim Rich
06-03-2007, 17:45
Cap rates and economic sense don't much apply to a hostel where you would expect it to also be the owner's residence. Fees or donations couldn't be expected to do more than defray some of the cost of ownership. Hopefully, the eventual buyer won't be foolish enough to see the property as a profitable enterprise. With a little TLC and some pride of ownership (according to Warren's description), it sounds like a great place to live, with or without hikers.

Home buyers should apply economic sense, period. Although the income approach is least applicable for owner-occupied residences, market rents can still be a logical indicator of value. If there is a significant mismatch between income generation and asking price, there may be a need to ask more questions to make sure it's not an indication of deterioration or physical obsolescence.

A resident hostel owner without economic sense is no different than a resident B&B owner without economic sense. Yes, operating a hostel is a labor of love; however, a hostel owner with a big mortgage due to an elevated purchase price or an expensive remodel may be starting out in a difficult position.

Two potential issues in operating a hostel out of an older home are plumbing and septic capacities. A hostel volume of showers and laundry can quickly outstrip an older residential system. Remedying that can be expensive. The overall water use can inundate an older residential septic system (if it's on sewer, it's not an issue). Depending on perc rates, remedying than can be very expensive.

Changing property use can stress systems and have unintended consequences. It's better to consider them beforehand.

Take Care,

Tim

Tim Rich
06-03-2007, 17:48

Chief, forgot to mention before I posted that Fairhope's one of my favorite towns. My wife would move down there in a minute. The bay, the food, shops, it's all good.

Take Care,

Tim

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2007, 20:56
why put the shower and grey h20 in a septic system??...wouldn't it be better to reuse dat h20 to water yore organic garden? dat's we do,

and as far as septic system and such why not jist use a composting system.

lean mean and green :-?

MOWGLI
06-04-2007, 09:49
If it was me buying the place, which it won't be, I'd put in a solar shower ala Blackburn Center. Nothing fancier is needed IMO. And yes, I too would try and collect grey water and reuse it for a veggie garden. I'd also put in a composting privy for hikers, and maybe add a Port a John during the 6 weeks when things got busy.

warren doyle
06-04-2007, 13:26
Some interested parties have come forth.
I see this property as perfect for someone that already is employed, recently retired, or who doesn't have to work, who wants to live close (i.e.,within a ten-minute walk) to the trail and who might want to provide a non-profit, nothing fancy, hostel and shuttle/slackpack services to hikers on a limited seasonal basis.
There is approximately 4 acres of potentially developable land for up to four cabins/small houses.
Walking around the property yesterday with a potential buyer was bittersweet since my dreams for the property will not be realized; but, I hope this place can allow someone else to realize their dream.

Heater
06-04-2007, 14:16
Some interested parties have come forth.
I see this property as perfect for someone that already is employed, recently retired, or who doesn't have to work, who wants to live close (i.e.,within a ten-minute walk) to the trail and who might want to provide a non-profit, nothing fancy, hostel and shuttle/slackpack services to hikers on a limited seasonal basis.
There is approximately 4 acres of potentially developable land for up to four cabins/small houses.
Walking around the property yesterday with a potential buyer was bittersweet since my dreams for the property will not be realized; but, I hope this place can allow someone else to realize their dream.

Warren. Are there any commercial restrictions to the property?
I am talking about a small outfitter type of buisness with campground or cottage rental and not just a hostel.

Ron Haven
06-04-2007, 17:45
If someone wanted a hiker business a little farther south,I might sell Budget Inn of Franklin at a bargin.I would also throw in a bus.If I could,I would keep Sapphire Inn and cut my work in half.

rickb
06-04-2007, 18:21

Answer #1: It is over 100 years old (ie. original structure), built in a hollow where there was a reliable spring, and the home of the first principal (Lindamood) of the local school.Perhaps if Warren lived there for a summer the historical value would really increase.

TJ aka Teej
06-04-2007, 19:49

Answer #1: It is over 100 years old (ie. original structure), built in a hollow where there was a reliable spring, and the home of the first principal (Lindamood) of the local school.

I had no idea my house was historic. I thought it was just old :D
Good luck on the house sale, Warren!

chief
06-05-2007, 00:08
Chief, forgot to mention before I posted that Fairhope's one of my favorite towns. My wife would move down there in a minute. The bay, the food, shops, it's all good.

Take Care,

Tim
Hey Tim, Fairhope is a nice place to live, though a little on the granola side for my taste. Lived on the bay for years before the storms drove me to higher ground. The only shops I frequent are farmers markets and seafood places. Y'all come on down...

adaliancruz
06-06-2007, 03:52
Thanks... to the trail information....am an outdoor fanatics...

Miss Janet
06-06-2007, 12:28
Good Luck Warren. I wish this property was here in Erwin. 4-5 acres is what I am looking for right now. I wish I had a winning lottery ticket! I wish. I wish. I wish.

I know, I know "If wishes were horses then hikers would ride..." or is that beggers?

Heater
06-06-2007, 12:52
Good Luck Warren. I wish this property was here in Erwin. 4-5 acres is what I am looking for right now. I wish I had a winning lottery ticket! I wish. I wish. I wish.

I know, I know "If wishes were horses then hikers would ride..." or is that beggers?

I saw one on Zillow.com I thought you might be interested in. It is in Johnson City, almost 4 acres, 5 bdrms, 2 1/2 bath and not a bad price at first glance.

Here is the Zillow.com URL:
http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=42583010

warren doyle
05-17-2008, 07:13
This trailside property was sold yesterday at Trail Days to Carol Barnes (Rambunny). She plans to open a hostel, hiker lodging and shuttle service by the 2009 hiking season (with the possibility of offering services to the 2008 SOBO's this fall).

She is in excellent location to provide shuttle services for anyone doing section hikes from Damascus to Atkins; Atkins to Bland/Bastian; Atkins to Pearisburg; Pearisburg to Daleville. The hostel/lodging will be an alternative to the Relax Inn on Rt. 11.

It will be nice to see this property used to its full potential. I wish Carol the best in fulfilling her dream.

Skyline
05-17-2008, 08:17
This trailside property was sold yesterday at Trail Days to Carol Barnes (Rambunny). She plans to open a hostel, hiker lodging and shuttle service by the 2009 hiking season (with the possibility of offering services to the 2008 SOBO's this fall).

She is in excellent location to provide shuttle services for anyone doing section hikes from Damascus to Atkins; Atkins to Bland/Bastian; Atkins to Pearisburg; Pearisburg to Daleville. The hostel/lodging will be an alternative to the Relax Inn on Rt. 11.

It will be nice to see this property used to its full potential. I wish Carol the best in fulfilling her dream.

That is fantastic news! Best wishes to all concerned.

Lilred
05-17-2008, 09:31
I would definately stay at a hostel rather than the Relax Inn. That place is a dive, and for the amount of money they charged us, it was ridiculous. Our bathroom was filthy and so were the sheets. Mind you, I don't mind dirt on the trail, obviously, but when I'm paying top dollar, I expect to get what I pay for. $55 for an unkempt room is robbery. But, they were the only game in town. I'm betting this new hostel is going to do very well in that location.

MOWGLI
05-17-2008, 09:32
Good for Rambunny! As I recall, she has experience in the hospitality industry, so she will probably make a great hostel keeper.

Skyline
05-17-2008, 11:31
I would definately stay at a hostel rather than the Relax Inn. That place is a dive, and for the amount of money they charged us, it was ridiculous. Our bathroom was filthy and so were the sheets. Mind you, I don't mind dirt on the trail, obviously, but when I'm paying top dollar, I expect to get what I pay for. $55 for an unkempt room is robbery. But, they were the only game in town. I'm betting this new hostel is going to do very well in that location.

When it was the Village Motel it was a little run down, but it was reasonably clean. Worth the $25-$30 or so it cost in '97. Sorry to hear the quality has gone down as the prices nearly doubled.

I think a hiker hostel/shuttle service in that area will do well, but keep in mind this will be more or less seasonal income. To really pay the bills, you might need to serve other markets, too, outside of the main hiker prime times. It can be done. Think: hunters, anglers, extended stay workers on a limited budget for lodging; trips for local residents who don't have vehicles or can't drive, to distant towns for medical, shopping, and entertainment trips.

A-Train
05-17-2008, 11:40
Wow, great news. I liked the Motel, but it's good that hikers will have a choice. I'm sure Rambunny will do a great job.

Red Hat
05-17-2008, 13:55
Hope it's open when I come by this fall on my SOBO! Congrats to Rambunny!

Bare Bear
05-17-2008, 16:47
A Super Walmart is sure to follow.

Red Hat
05-18-2008, 15:07
There is a Super Walmart in Bristol and another in Whythville, both near I81. Doubt there will ever be one here as there is nothing around to draw folks... Just a trail and lots of green...

Miss Janet
05-19-2008, 20:53
I only got to see my old friend Rambunny for just a moment this weekend... but what a happy face! All smiles! I wish her the very best.

WELCOME TO THE SOUTH!!!!

jersey joe
05-19-2008, 21:23
Congrats on your purchase Rambunny! I met Rambunny on my 02' Thru hike, good peoples...

warren doyle
05-19-2008, 21:33
A Super Walmart is sure to follow.

Since there is a new 'big box' mall (Super WalMart/Lowes) just fifteen miles north on I-81 and other 'big box' malls in Abingdon about thirty-five miles south on I-81, the Groseclose interchange (Exit 54) will always be 'sleepy' (having the NPS own the land on two quadrants at the interchange also helps). As a matter of fact this interchange has less development now than in the past with the former Village Restaurant burnt out and the Exxon gas station/Dairy Queen closed down.

Cedar Tree
05-19-2008, 21:42
I may be wrong, but I have heard several times recently that a new Super Walmart/strip Mall/ Big Chain food place will be moving in at the Northern most Marion 81 exit sometime relatively soon. Only makes Rambunny's purchase better IMHO.
CT

Katyfreitag
06-26-2008, 13:46
After knowing Rambunny for the last 15 years and being able to hike with her on one of her Thru Hikes, and being party to her poastal drops during her other thru hikes I cannot think of a better person more qualified to take on this responsibility. I am so very excited for Rambunny and for all the hikers to be able to go thru her hostil. She has been there, done that, got bitten by that, ate that, drank that, injured that, climbed that, and she doesn't give up! From **** 1 (Section-hiker-in-training), YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! Congrats from all your friends in INDY!

Jeff
06-26-2008, 18:27
Rambunny was assisting Honey and Bear at The Cabin in Andover, ME in 2006. If she gets anywhere close to the service level of The Cabin (and I am sure she will), this will be a monster success story!!!!