PDA

View Full Version : The Great Wall

Shutterbug
05-26-2007, 14:49
I had the opportunity to take a hike on the Great Wall of China. Without thinking it through, I scheduled the hike for May 1 which happens to be the biggest national holiday for China, and all other communist countries. I got to walk a couple of miles along with several thousand others. It reminded me of trying to exit Texas Stadium after a Cowboy game.

If anyone has an interest, I have posted my pictures:

http://www.davemcclung.com/album/index.php?cat=20

fiddlehead
05-27-2007, 00:11
Oh yes, Bejing and northern China. Brings back fond memories.
I was on an around the world journey (without flying) 15 years ago and stupidly did it without a camera. But when i got to Bejing, there was so much to see in that one area, that i went an bought a cheap camera and started taking pictures. Yeah, the Wall is impressive where they fixed it up for the toursists, but i enjoyed going out and bushwhacking into where it wasn't fixed up.
A note of similar travels, I just met some gypsy's from Eastern Europe and the states and they just came through Mongolia where they showed us pictures of heaps of ganja tied to their bicycles. They told us when the locals saw this, they asked them why they were camouflaging their bikes with "horse feed" They must have happy horses there.
good travels, keep it up and posting about it.