PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky pack

Bonjour
05-27-2007, 23:00
I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack which I am satisfied with except for one thing - it creaks and squeaks when you walk. It is not overloaded and it does it all the time. Rather annoying. Is this typical? Any suggestions?

jrwiesz
05-27-2007, 23:56
I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack which I am satisfied with except for one thing - it creaks and squeaks when you walk. It is not overloaded and it does it all the time. Rather annoying. Is this typical? Any suggestions?

My knees and ankles have creaks and squeaks. I'm only occasionally overloaded, and they do it all the time. You get used to it; not too annoying. Suggestion: try getting overloaded - it'll be less annoying.:D

Franco
05-28-2007, 03:05
Patient :Nurse Wiesz, it hurts when I go like that...
Nurse Wiesz : don't go like ..that

I had a squeaky Osprey Aether 60, the stay was rubbing against the pocket. I removed the stay, taped over it and that muffled the squeak.
Franco

mudhead
05-28-2007, 07:50
Serious fixes for sqeaks would be most helpful. I also have issues with noise detracting from my wildlife seeking. My other thorn is sloshy water bottle. I can drink it, or go to a bladder. Other options? I always see more critters bareback. I like seeing critters.

rafe
05-28-2007, 08:07
I am trying to imagine what can possibly squeak on a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. There are no metal-to-metal connections. In fact the only metal on the pack (as I recall) are the two small screws that fasten the shoulder straps to the internal frame. I'd suspect that it's something in the pack that's squeaking, and not the pack itself.

If you haven't taken the pack apart, I'd suggest doing so, and then re-assembling carefully. But maybe that's just me. I take everything apart. Sometimes I even manage to put it back together.

cutman11
05-28-2007, 10:41
I think most times, the squeak is due to fabric rubbing against metal. It can be maddening to find, but if you do, a little lube will do the trick, when you get it right on the spot that rubs. You may have to take apart the pack to find it, unfortunately. I used to have an external frame kelty that rubbed right where the frame met the fabric at the eyelet that the pins went thru to hold on the pack. Half the trouble is finding the actual place it rubs, often you can only reproduce the sound intermittently and only when wearing it, so you need someone walking along side to try to pin down where the rubbing noise is coming from exactly.

Franco
05-28-2007, 18:58
"sloshy" water bottle. Get the collapsible Nalgene or Platypus and squeeze the air out as you drink.
Franco

Kerosene
05-28-2007, 20:21
I periodically have this same problem with my Nimbus Ozone. I've been able to eliminate the squeak by re-arranging how the "wings" at the top of the shoulder straps where they connect to the framesheet sit. The squeaking stops if I can get them flattened out the right way.

Time To Fly 97
05-29-2007, 11:06
Sometimes it seems simple...like dirt/dust that gets in and causes a little noise. Try just wetting the packside of your hipbelt and your shoulder straps where they connect to the pack while you are hiking. That has worked for me a couple times.

Happy hiking!

TTF

walkin' wally
05-29-2007, 19:32
I have a Gregory Forester that squeaks. I cannot find the exact area either.

jlb2012
05-29-2007, 19:45
I have a Gregory Forester that squeaks. I cannot find the exact area either.

wrt the Forester - I have one and its my opinion that the squeak was caused by the see through plastic on the bottom of the hood rubbing on the fabric from the main body or possibly the plastic buckle that is for the top strap. I never really figured out what caused it but I don't really care anymore - the Forester is only used these days if I am carrying the tools for doing serious blowdown work.

scope
05-29-2007, 20:53

Got a Nimbus Meridian last month and took it out for a few days and it did the same thing. Thought maybe it might be just a new pack, needed to settle in so to speak. How long have you had yours? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Tepex frame sheet rubbing material, probably on the pad side of the back. I think wetting it might be a good suggestion, or lubing it with something, not sure what. Definitely not a metal squeak, but sort of annoying. Ended up not really bothering me, although I'd be interested in getting rid of it, so please post anything you try.

Bonjour
05-29-2007, 23:05
The lubrication idea seems like a good plan so I rubbed glucosamine on the afflicted area. I think it will work but it will take a few weeks to get the full effect.