PDA

View Full Version : Packs on Airplanes

gold bond
05-28-2007, 08:53
:banana I am leaving in two weeks to go to Cimmeron New Mexico (Philmont) with 12 other people to do some hiking.
Originally a guy was suppose to trailor our packs there. Due to unforseen circumstanes that ain't happing...now what there telling me is to just put a trash bag over my pack and duct tape it real good!
I do not really like this idea...wonder if a stay gets bent or broken...all my gear will be in this pack (Osprey Cresent 85) and if anything happens my hike will be down the drain and I have seen what the arlines will do to a hard suitcase!!
I have thought about putting it in a trunk or something...has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any suggestions?:confused:
I love my pack and it loves me!:D

sparky2000
05-28-2007, 08:57
Just completly unpack and fit it all into your wife's purse. The single ones enjoy packing it all into a military duffle bag - unpacked fits best.

Chache
05-28-2007, 09:09
UPS it. I always send my pack when I go out west. 35 pounds cost about 40 bucks each way.

Gaiter
05-28-2007, 09:39
just curious: anyone ever traveled w/ their pack outside of the us, how did that go, did everything make it through customs?

Jimmers
05-28-2007, 10:43
:banana I am leaving in two weeks to go to Cimmeron New Mexico (Philmont) with 12 other people to do some hiking.
Originally a guy was suppose to trailor our packs there. Due to unforseen circumstanes that ain't happing...now what there telling me is to just put a trash bag over my pack and duct tape it real good!
I do not really like this idea...wonder if a stay gets bent or broken...all my gear will be in this pack (Osprey Cresent 85) and if anything happens my hike will be down the drain and I have seen what the arlines will do to a hard suitcase!!
I have thought about putting it in a trunk or something...has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

I've always just placed my pack inside a large duffel bag, wrapped it once with bubble wrap (before putting it into the duffel), and checked it into baggage that way. Four trips to the West coast and no problems so far. Just remember to place anything that's easily breakable in your carry on bag.

Have fun!

Chache
05-28-2007, 10:45
Carry the almost empty pack on the plane and box the rest

ardeaitch
05-28-2007, 11:19
On my trip to Philmont I got a box at U-Haul, packed my pack in the box and that was my checked luggage. I put a roll of duct tape in for the trip home, too.

My daughter went to Australia a few weeks ago and packed hers in a rolling duffle bag and it made it over fine. I'd avoid wrapping anything in bubble wrap 'cuz murphy's law says that will be the one to be checked for security... then waddya do...?

superman
05-28-2007, 12:49
I've been happy sending my pack via UPS. I put the whole pack in a box with styrofoam peanuts. It's the best way that I have found to travel for hiking. Don't use the postal service to send your pack (bad experience).

Chache
05-28-2007, 17:26
I've been happy sending my pack via UPS. I put the whole pack in a box with styrofoam peanuts. It's the best way that I have found to travel for hiking. Don't use the postal service to send your pack (bad experience).
Dittos to that

dzierzak
05-29-2007, 08:21
Have fun at Philmont. Most of our crews have just used large duffels. Campmor has some kinda military looking, fairly cheap.

Best to leave the pack unpacked in the duffel, then stuff all your gear around it. Mine has been searched a couple of times. Good to have it all accessible.

ed

OHBob
05-29-2007, 09:16
Try stopping by a local Goodwill or Salvation Army for a large duffle bag. My wife found me one for $2.50 and it is plenty large enough and seems strong. Will let you know after I get back from a section hike from Harper's Ferry to Waynesboro starting June 13. I'm traveling via Amtrak and wanted to keep all those stray straps well contained.

Frosty
05-29-2007, 09:36
[QUOTE=gold bond;366992
I have seen what the arlines will do to a hard suitcase!![/QUOTE]What do they do to them? I've traveled a kazillion air miles with soft-sided suitcases and they were never damaged. I think checked hard-sided suitcases are the most secure way to send anything, overkill if anything, Soft-sided is perfectly fine.

Best bet is to buy a suitcase from Godwill and put your gear in it. When you get to your destination, unpack your gear, load up and walk off wearing our loaded backpack.

Be sure to leave the old suitcase near a trash receptacle if you don't want undue attention, and whatever you do, don't put the suitcase down in an airport and scurry away. :D

gold bond
05-29-2007, 09:59
Thanks to everyone for all the great idea's. I'm positive all our gear will make it fine now! Thanks WB's, you guys are awesome!!

rusty075
05-29-2007, 10:52
I've had good luck with the Duffle approach mentioned by several above. A/N Surplus store bags work well, and you can usually find somebody willing to hold onto the bag for you until you are ready to fly back out. (sometimes that's harder coordinate with a hard-side suitcase if you want to use it for the return trip)

One thing to be very aware: fuel vapors. I had a duffle ransacked by the TSA because the smell of fuel coming off my stove inside set off the chemical detectors. Everything was still in there, and undamaged, when I opened the bag, but they were definitely not gentle about going through it. I would sit the stove outside for several days to make sure its aired out as much as possible. (and then maybe ziplock it, just in case?)

And I'm sure this goes without saying, but make sure everyone in the group knows not to pack things like fuel bottles or bear spray cans in their gear that is now going on the planes.

dzierzak
05-29-2007, 12:30
One further point. Shipping your stoves to Philmont is a good idea. The address and other information is in the advisor's guide. Just pick them up at the ranch post office when you arrive. They'll also tell you what to do to get them back home after your trek.

Enjoy!
IWGBTP!

ed

Deerleg
05-29-2007, 12:56
Just reinforcing many of the above posts…Duffel bag. I have traveled by plane many times with my pack in a duffel or a soft side golf bag (fits 2 packs when I go with my wife or son) . I only stuff the sleeping bag and hammock in the pack, lash my retracted poles to the side of the pack, and put the rest in a see-through compartmentalized plastic bag next to the pack for easy inspection. I use an alcohol stove…long empty of fuel and buy fuel at my destination. Many trips…never any damage, no hassles.

gold bond
05-29-2007, 13:50
Thanks for all the great idea's!

We fourtanatly have someone going up early with "limited" space in their car and they will be taking all the stoves and "EMPTY" fuel bottles as well as our hiking poles which all the boys have been told to "secure" them together with their names and trek numbers on them!

I do not mean to knock the airlines but not more than two weeks ago I went to pick up my uncle from the airport and we waited and waited for his suitcase to come out....well after asking they directed us back to this room where his suitcase was in two pieces and all his clothes were in two seperate garbage bags! There were 4 suicases in all that were damaged. The airlines never said how or what happened but realizing that my "precious" pack was going to go on an airplane well.....that scared the crap out of me!!!

Again, thanks to all WB's for the great and helpful advice I'm sure it will help me sleep better at night!!!

Anyone else ever worry about stuff like this when it comes to their pack or am I the only freak out here? I paid alot of money for that pack and I don't think Lady G. Bond is gonna let me spend that kind of money on another pack anytime soon. She'a a great gal but she can rub two nickles together and make a quater!!

funbun
05-29-2007, 17:07
Will the UPS or the airlines let yuou ship or check your packs even with alcohol or fuel cans?

sourwood
05-29-2007, 17:24
I just had to make an emergency exit from the trail. I flew from Albany, NY to Asheville. I left my fuel canister in the hiker box at the Shamrock Hotel in Dalton, stuffed everything else in my Osprey pack (including compressed poles), and checked it as a piece of baggage. I did try to tie up all loose straps. It came through fine. Can't say that will always happen, but it worked for me.

Julie

fiddlehead
05-29-2007, 23:14
just curious: anyone ever traveled w/ their pack outside of the us, how did that go, did everything make it through customs?

i fly with my backpack whenever i travel internationally. (i presently live in Thailand)
1st thing to remember: the US has the toughest rules on stuff. I always get searched there (i have dreads) but have never been searched anywhere else except 22 years ago in Switzerland and they only looked for about 2 minutes. (i've had 2 + hour searches in LAX already, back room and all)
Don't carry fuel. (or guns) Everything else: why not? If you can get it thru the American outbound searches, most likely you'll get it through wherever you're going. the US is the land with the most rules on this stuff (and other stuff of course)
Most travellers between the ages of 20 and 35 use backpacks for the preferred luggage. Often they wrap them in plastic so that hanging straps and belts don't jam up the conveyer belts. Duct tape would work also.
I once bought a big bag to put mine in but don't use it anymore. (it was a baseball bat carrying bag from Louisville slugger)
I don't really understand why you would trust shipping companies more than airlines. I've only ever had one bag lost and I have been travelling extensively for the past 18 years. But, i do know this: Don't trust Greyhound. They are the worst and there are many horror stories from hikers as well as others. (in 98 going to NM, they lost 2 out of 3 packs from my friends and coming back, they broke mine in 2 places)
Anyway, fly on! and enjoy.

sixhusbands
05-30-2007, 07:28
I took my pack to Hawaii a month ago to hike the Kalalau trail ( another story sometime) with my daughter. I used a ballistic golf travel bag. The bag easily held my pack and several other items. The golf travel bags usually go on last , because of the odd size, so they are not squashed on the bottom of the pile. I saw backpacks get jammed in whereever they could and when they came out on the baggage terminal , they looked rough. Keep in mind the 50 lb limit per bag or you will pay extra.

funbun
05-30-2007, 09:57
Can't you just take your pack onboar the plane?

Jimmers
05-30-2007, 10:57
Can't you just take your pack onboar the plane?

Maybe if you're an ultralight minimalist, but most loaded backpacks exceed the carry on limit of 55" (length + width + height), and I doubt they'll fit under the seats, which the FAA requires. Would sort of suck if you did manage to get a full size pack onboard and the overhead bins were full.

Jaybird
05-30-2007, 11:25
Originally a guy was suppose to trailor our packs there. Due to unforseen circumstanes that ain't happing...now what there telling me is to just put a trash bag over my pack and duct tape it real good!............................................. ..............................

trash bag or not...just cinch that sucker down tight & ride!:D

UnkaJesse
05-31-2007, 13:50
You've had some good suggestions here, but I've got one more....

You may or may not think it's worth the extra cost (about $30), but I use a large duffel designed for just this purpose. I could not find the one I use -- a Lowe Alpine -- but here's one from Osprey that's basically the same thing.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/SideOrders/AirporterLZ/

I've flown from ATL out west a half dozen time in the five years I've owned the pack duffel, so it has been worth it for me. These things are basically a body bag. I used to be able to put my pack & my wife's inside, but that was before the 50 pound weight limit was strictly enforced.

It also pulls double duty as a place to store less-often-used gear in my basement.

Falqon
06-02-2007, 13:25
Another vote for just a simple military duffel bag from a surplus surplus store.

I stuffed the pack with as many non-threatening items as possible, then slid it down the duffel, and put the stove and stuff in my suitcase.

Went from Atl to Denver to Anchorage with no problems.

RockStar
06-02-2007, 13:43
off topic...I was thinking of a movie that would stink worse than Snakes on Planes... Packs on Planes. *holds nose*

Sprawl
06-02-2007, 14:47
I recently flew from Newark to Atlanta with my pack as a CARRY-ON.
My wife says I have “pack separation anxiety”...
The airlines web site listed maximum carry-on dimensions and I made sure I could compress the pack and contents to fit the required dimensions. (I have a Gregory Gravity pack at about 4200ci). It fit nicely into the overhead bin.
What I did was ship my fuel (canister type) via USPS ORM-D surface transport only, 10 days ahead with a tracking number.
Sent my stove, cooking pot, tube of soap, spoon, pocket knife, tent stakes, Nalgen bottle, hiking poles and food UPS, 7 days ahead.
In my pack I had my hiking clothes, crocks, rain gear, water filter, camel back, first aid kit, sleeping bag, tarp, net tent, stuff sack, maps, headlamp, radio, notepad and pencil.
The outside of the pack had my camera, 50' of bear rope and 2 carbiners, (surprised that didn't get scarfed by the NTSB).
I also carried my Z-Rest on board (it fit under the seat) and wore my hiking boots.
That way I had all of my “critical” gear with me and could replace anything lost when I arrived.
Sending the other items in advance also let me track the deliveries.
I went through check in only putting my pack through the x-ray machine and me the metal detector.
No problems and no anxiety!!
Good luck on you trip!

funbun
06-02-2007, 14:52
off topic...I was thinking of a movie that would stink worse than Snakes on Planes... Packs on Planes. *holds nose*

lol, Packs on a Plane: Packing it Out at 30,000 feet.

Didache
06-02-2007, 16:11

Did this last year. Crew 612-M3 on Trek 11. In preparation I researched airline policy on putting camp stoves in checked luggage. The official line from Southwest :

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/camping_equipment.html

in short, brand new stoves in unopened boxes will not be challenged. Otherwise you pays your money and you takes your chances. I suppose that if your stoves have to be left at the airport, you can get new ones at the Philmont shop.

We UPS'ed our stoves out and back. They have the same policy, but aren't running the boxes through x-ray machines to check. There's a post office right at camp. I think we may have even gotten some kind of cooperation for someone there to let our stoves and bottles air out for a couple of days before shipping it out.

Have a great trek. Hope you don't have fires there like we did.

stumpy
06-02-2007, 18:26
I don't mean to turn this into a bashing airlines thread. However, this reminded me of a funny story (for some). My sister worked at Orlando International Airport, many years ago. One of the baggage trailers broke lose from the little cart thing, as they towed it out to the plane. It rolled backwards, down a small hill, and SPLASH, right into one of the lakes that surrond the airport. It was my sisters job to call everyone and inform them that their bags were at the bottom of the lake!

BrianLe
06-03-2007, 12:02
Some airlines provide heavy duty plastic bags for shipping things like this in. A product that can be purchased for this kind of use is at
http://www.kevincoffee.com/security_pooch.htm (http://www.kevincoffee.com/security_pooch.htm)

I know nothing about the above site other than running into it when I was similarly looking at options. The whole "security" thing struck me as over the top at first, but on reflection, the net worth of all my backpacking gear is quite high relative to the weight and mass ...

Finishing up a multi-purpose trip recently, I boxed up and mailed home my backpacking gear after the "backpacking phase" of the trip was over. Maybe $40 to ship in the biggest box that the UPS store sold, I filled the excess space by leaving my sleeping bag loose inside. I chose to insure it, but after I sent it I realized I had substantially underinsured it. Came through fine, anyway. I wouldn't want to have to go through and calculate the replacement cost of all the gear I take on a trip (would probably make me ill <g>).

TwoForty
06-03-2007, 23:12
I'm going to take my pack and all my delicate equipment carry on and pack the rest in a carboard box and check it in. I'll mail my fuel 2 weeks ahead with delivery confirmation.

Shutterbug
06-04-2007, 11:44

I often travel with a large back pack. I bought a duffle bag large enough to fit the back pack inside. That provides a bad for bringing home all the junk my wife buys overseas.

You can't pack a lighter, gas cannisters or matches. Other than that, you can take what you need.

In Hawaii, then check the pack for Agricultural Products, but I have never had customs in another country go through my pack.

DavidNH
06-04-2007, 11:53
I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to carry packs on airplanes. I would simply caution..don't try to pack any fuel ..even hint of fuel. In fact if you possible can, I'd reccomend sending stove and empty fuel bottle via UPS or not sending and getting new when you arrive. You may need to unpack your pack and repack if anything shows or buzzes secutiry.

Do NOT try to attach anything to outside of the pack. Make sure it is inside and well protected. Sounds obvious but still...

David

Heater
06-04-2007, 12:40
Just do NOT pack a "bunch" of Plantains in your carryon bag. They look just like Dynamite according to one unamused baggage checker I once met.
:D

...or DO pack them if you'd like to add a little excitement to an otherwise boring trip! ;)

:banana:banana

LostInSpace
06-04-2007, 19:58
You can't pack a lighter, gas cannisters or matches.

You are allowed to carry on your person or in your carry-on luggage, but not in your checked baggage, three books of safety matches. This includes those small boxes of safety matches ... not kitchen/strike anywhere matches. Be aware that some boxes of safety matches, e.g., some of the ones that bars/restaurants give away, have metal foil decoration that will trip the metal detector if you don't take them out of your pocket. Then be prepared to a hasseled with a full wand screening, etc. This has happened to me.