PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Park Thru ?

Natchez
05-28-2007, 14:40
Hello every one I hope you are well. I had a couple of questions for you who have walked thru the park.

Background

I have done several three day trips in the GSNP.

My base weight will be less then 15 lbs

I am in pretty good shape ( I race bicycles) and can ride 5-6 hours with out any problem.

I understand I have to make reservations for shelters and I still need to bring a tarp for back up.

I will start at Fontana

Questions

How many days should I plan for? I was hoping to do it in 5 days?

Where was your shelter stops? What would you recommend?

Should I buy a book for water stops,trail descriptions etc? If so what would you recommend.

Who would you recommend for shuttle back to Fontana? How much will that cost?

Will there be cell coverage any where so I can check in with my wife?

Any help would be great!

Every Blessing
Alan

Rainman
05-28-2007, 16:37
Hey Natchez,

I just got back from the Smokies. I hiked SOBO from Clingmans Dome to Fontana.

Five days should be plenty. My nine year old did two ten mile days with no trouble (Clingmans to Derrick Knob the first day and Mollies Ridge to the dam the last day) and we only hiked half the day. There are definitely some rugged ups and downs, but you can do 15 to 20 miles a day if you walk steady. You won't even have to hurry.

We stayed at Mollies Ridge, Spence Field, and Derrick Knob. I would recommend all of them. Russell Field Shelter had a very low water source. Double Spring Gap had a very low water source. Siler's Bald had good water but a funky odor and taste. The shelters we stayed at had great water, though a slow trickle at Mollies Ridge. I can't say north of Clingmans.

I used the White Blaze data base for my "guide" and had no problems. It is free to donating members. If you surf around the donating members forum it is easy to find. You can also find the 2007 ALDHA Companion online.

The Hike Inn seemed to be the shuttle service everybody was using. They reportedly will pick you up from Davenport Gap and bring you back. They should be on the web. Don't confuse them with the Len Foote Hike Inn further south.

My buddy with Cingular service had better coverage than my Verizon phone. Go figure. Just the opposite of what you might expect. I was able to call out from Spence Field Shelter. I only check for signal at the end of the day, so you may get better signal from peaks.

Don't miss the great 360 degree views from Rocky Top. You can't miss it, it has a "rocky top."

Altogether a great hike. I can't wait to see the northern half of the park.

I talked to several people who saw bears, though we never did. We saw wild boars, deer, and a turkey.

I hope you have a great hike!

Rain Man
05-28-2007, 17:56
How many days should I plan for? I was hoping to do it in 5 days?

Where was your shelter stops? What would you recommend?

Should I buy a book for water stops,trail descriptions etc? If so what would you recommend.

Who would you recommend for shuttle back to Fontana? How much will that cost?

Will there be cell coverage any where so I can check in with my wife?

Five days? I did it and I'm not nearly in the shape you are in, so no problem for you.

I did my thru of the GSMNP in five days in April 05. Stayed at The Hike Inn the night before I started. Stayed at Mollies Ridge Shelter, Silers Bald Shelter, Icewater Springs Shelter, and Tricorner Knob Shelter.

I had absolutely no problem with water, but it was in the Spring.

I'd recommend Curtis at Standing Bear Farm (google their web site) for a shuttle. Or the folks at The Hike Inn. The first is north of Davenport Gap the second is south of Fontana Dam.

I bought the ATC map and guidebook and do recommend always carrying a map and compass.

Cell phone coverage? Did not carry a cell phone, so can't say.

I had no trouble making reservations, and did so a month ahead of time, which is (was?) the furtherest ahead they allowed reservations.

Have a great hike.

Rain:sunMan

Hikes in Rain
05-29-2007, 12:32
I can only speak for south of Newfound Gap for cell coverage, but it was usually there. Spotty in places, bad connections in others, but usually able to get a signal out one way or another. Off and on between Fontana and Mollies Ridge, but generally reliable thereafter. (I was using Alltell, if that helps).

Had some issues with water in November, but mostly my own darned fault. I was southbound from Newfound Gap, and the trail down to water at Mount Collins was one big sheet of ice. Started out with about a cup in my bottle, figuring on restocking at Clingman's Dome. The haul up there was longer and steeper than I expected, and my little bit of water was mostly ice when I reached the top, just to discover the Park Service had shut the water off for the winter! Fortunately, the east spring at Double Spring was flowing well, two really dry miles later.

Deerleg
05-29-2007, 13:27
Hello every one I hope you are well. I had a couple of questions for you who have walked thru the park.

Questions

1.How many days should I plan for? I was hoping to do it in 5 days?

2.Where was your shelter stops? What would you recommend?

3.Should I buy a book for water stops,trail descriptions etc? If so what would you recommend.

4.Who would you recommend for shuttle back to Fontana? How much will that cost?

Any help would be great!

Every Blessing
Alan

1. I did it in 3 1/2 days in July 2005. You sound like you are in better shape than me. I don’t feel liked I pushed at all and I really enjoyed the hike.

2. I did not start till noon the 1st day, so you may go farther depending on your start time.
Day 1 Mollies Ridge.
Day 2 Double Springs
Day 3 Pecks Corners
Day 4 Out at Big Creek.

3. I like the AT Data Book...small, light weight has mileage, road crossings, and shelter and water info.

4. You may want to consider leaving your car at Big Creek and meeting someone there to shuttle you to Fontana. Then you don’t have to worry about the logistics of meeting someone a day earlier of later than you planed.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

gregdog
05-29-2007, 14:28
man, you guys are making me feel extremely out of shape. I did this hike, but it took me 7 days, although one day was short 'cause I hung out around thunderhead most of one afternoon, but still, 5 days is really moving out.... gotta go hit the treadmill.

Natchez
05-31-2007, 00:22
Thanks for the input!

greentick
06-06-2007, 11:48
Just refreshing this thread for some current info. I will be sectioning from Clingmans to Fontana Dam this Sat-Mon (9th to 11th of June).

Anyone been out there over the last few days?

How's the water?

How's the bugs?

We will be at Silers Bald shelter and Russell Field shelter, how's the rodent situation?

Thanks for any current updates. Todd

Rainman
06-07-2007, 10:55
Just refreshing this thread for some current info. I will be sectioning from Clingmans to Fontana Dam this Sat-Mon (9th to 11th of June).

Anyone been out there over the last few days?

How's the water?

How's the bugs?

We will be at Silers Bald shelter and Russell Field shelter, how's the rodent situation?

Thanks for any current updates. Todd

I don't have anything more recent than my May 28 post.

MOWGLI
06-07-2007, 12:38
Hey Natchez,

I just got back from the Smokies. I hiked SOBO from Clingmans Dome to Fontana.

Five days should be plenty. My nine year old did two ten mile days with no trouble (Clingmans to Derrick Knob the first day and Mollies Ridge to the dam the last day) and we only hiked half the day.

Rainman, I think I met you and your son at Sassafras Gap early on morning of Sunday May 27. Was that you? I was with two other folks, and one of them took your photo at the Sassafras Gap sign with your son. Was that you wearing the Long Trail hat?

Rainman
06-07-2007, 18:12
Rainman, I think I met you and your son at Sassafras Gap early on morning of Sunday May 27. Was that you? I was with two other folks, and one of them took your photo at the Sassafras Gap sign with your son. Was that you wearing the Long Trail hat?

Yup. That was definitely me. You saw the bear that morning that we were looking for. I am very pleased to meet you. Can you believe it, four days in the Smokies and we saw no bear. We saw pigs, turkey, chipmunks, mice, and lots of chiggers; but no Bears.

My son earned the trail name "Windwalker" on that hike. I have posted more info about that on other threads. All in all we had a grand time. What a beautiful section to be my sons first long distance hike. I am happy to say he is hooked. He told me he wants to go on every backpacking trip I take.

Thanks very much for introducing yourself. I hope we meet up again.

OldStormcrow
06-07-2007, 22:37
I've always wondered what the Smokies would look like without snow.....are there bugs and leaves and tourists and stuff like that?

mweinstone
06-07-2007, 23:47
shelters suck

Natchez
06-08-2007, 00:27
unless you need one lol

Natchez
06-08-2007, 00:31
I am thinking now about starting a Davenport gap and hiking out at Fontana and getting the shuttle the first day. I am also interested in how the water is holding up? Where would you stop the first night if starting at the north end of the park? how would you plan your shelter stops?

Every Blessing
Alan

MOWGLI
06-08-2007, 10:01
It was a pleasure to meet you and your son Rainman.

greentick
06-14-2007, 23:06
Walked Clingman's to Fontana Saturday night/Sunday/Monday.

Water: Running at least 3/4 liter per minute or better at Siler's Bald shelter, Derrick Knob, Spence Field, Russell Field, and Campsite 113 (Birch Spring). One of the gaps between Russell and 113 has water. There is a sign post without a sign that have a couple of rocks at its base. On the rocks "water" is written. It is 50' down a cross trail "Trail West."

No water: Mollie Ridge shelter. The gap after Brier Knob when sobo (I was told there was water, and walked down about 30yds for info only - nothin).

Campsite 113 has been closed due to "aggressive bear activity" almost everyone we crossed saw a bear. No probs at night with food etc.

Nice stretch. Pics to follow.

Used Hike Inn shuttle - good service.

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2007, 23:12
took me two weeks to thru the park back in Oct 99.

the southwest end of the park gets real dry quick be careful...the trail was "closed" back in fall of 99 due to no h2o..

so be careful

Natchez
06-20-2007, 15:53
I am now doing the park south bound if there is water which shelters would you do south bound? starting at Davenport Gap? 5 day

Thanks

journalist
06-20-2007, 16:16
1. tricorner
2. icewater
3. silers bald
4. spence
5. fontana

last weekend, there was no water at mollies ridge. a few weeks ago, it was hard to get water at double springs but it was possible. i think the rest of the springs are ok

Tabasco
06-20-2007, 17:28
Natch,

when is your trip:? I need to do that section too.....

Natchez
06-24-2007, 15:03
We are not sure right now when we are going. We are looking at Aug/Sep. We where going to go in July but that is not going to work. I did an overnighter at Spence walked out through Russell low water at Spence almost not running Russell was just a puddle. I will try to post the dates when we know.

Every Blessing
Alan