PDA

View Full Version : Pa

stickat04
09-28-2003, 02:48
I am going to be in PA the next coming week and I will have 2 days for a hike. I'll be in the port clinton area anywhere I can park that is safe? Anywhere you recomend? I was think maybe going from port clinton to the pinnacle and back. I was in Pine grove state forest last year and did day hiking through there.
I just want to test out new tent and weight of pack for next years hike. Anywhere from Port clinton to Duncnnon is doable seeing as I have to drive back to my flat state Illinois.

Crash
09-28-2003, 12:01
do St Anthony's Wilderness!
Rausch Gap shelter is there
beautiful less rocky area than Port Clinton
and you dont hear 'the outside' unlike many other sections of the AT in Pa

bartender
09-28-2003, 12:55
While you are in the area you should check out Hawk Mountain.

c.coyle
09-28-2003, 20:19
Port Clinton to the Pinnacle is 9.9 miles one way. I've parked overnight on the streets of Port Clinton twice, never had a problem.

A nice alternative Pinnacle hike is a loop starting at the Hamburg Reservoir parking lot (http://www.henrybeaver.com/backup/Hamburg Reservoir Directions.html), a few miles from Port Clinton and 1/2 mile from the AT. There's a map posted in the lot. Hike north on the AT, 4 miles to the Pinnacle (you'll hit Pulpit Rock on the way. A nice view, but no match for the Pinnacle), then continue north on the AT another 1.7 miles to a large grassy clearing known as "the heliport". You can then turn left onto an old road (blue blazed), and do a gentle descent, over Furnace creek and past the reservoir dam. You close the loop by rejoining the AT and back to the parking lot. The whole thing's a little less than 9 miles.

St. Anthony's Wilderness (Rte 72 / Swatara Gap to Route 325 / Clark's Valley, 16.4 mi.) is quiet and remote, full of wildlife, but lacks views. There are two ghost towns (no buildings left) on the AT, and lots of interesting side trails. BUT, this is in Pa. State Game Lands, and turkey hunting season starts next Saturday, so you won't be seeing me out there. Pa. has no Sunday hunting, at least officially.