PDA

View Full Version : Treating Gear for Ticks

saderax
05-28-2007, 18:38
I recently completed a section hike in the Florida Trail (Ocala Nat'l Forest) which was loaded with ticks. During the overnight 10mi trek I removed quite a few ticks from my legs and one or two from my arms.

The question for the moment is this: What is the best way to treat my backpack / tent and other gear for ticks?

I have already purchased some home flea-and-tick killer for carpets, drapes, etc. and lighltly sprayed my pack and shoes. All these went into giant garbage bags that are now sealed in the garage for a week or so. All my clothes and washables immediately went into the washing machine using hot water, followed by an extremly long and hot dryer run.

Was all this necessary? Do you think the treatment will damage my pack or tent?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Turtle2
05-28-2007, 20:21
Permethrin. It is a spray for clothing, etc. only. Not to be used on skin or to be sprayed on clothing while being worn. When coated, the treatment is good for approximately 6 weeks according to my can of Coulston's Tick Repellent. The can's directions say to use approximatly 3/4 on clothing and the remainder on "nets, sleeping bags, backpacks and groundcloths."

Seeker
05-29-2007, 17:27
yes, permithrin's the answer. i use it on all my hiking/backpacking clothes, boots/shoes, hat, headnet, hammock and netting, and pack. used it in somalia too, and it seemed to last through a couple launderings. i knew soldiers who used dog flea collars around each leg, just over the top of the boot, to combat ticks. it worked, but you're not supposed to let them touch bare skin (so the guys who wore them around their necks probably absorbed some bad chemicals.) if you treat your gear ahead of time with permithrin, you won't have to worry about 'hitch-hikers' after a trip.

oldfivetango
05-30-2007, 08:29
Repel makes a product called Permanone-available at Ace and
probably Walmart as well.Follow the directions very carefully and do
not breathe it on get it on your skin.It works.Note that you must treat
the clothing and let it dry for a specified amount of time before wearing.
Oldfivetango

refreeman
05-30-2007, 10:40
Repel Permanone Insect Repellent is an odorless aerosol insecticide. *Tick and mosquito protection for clothing, tents, nets, and gear. Excellent for tent treatment. *Protects a minimum of two weeks through several washings.

Highly effective against ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers and mites. Spray on clothes and let dry before wearing - not to be sprayed on skin.

Contains 0.5% Permethrin