PDA

View Full Version : Southern VA Section Hike Questions

Kerosene
05-30-2007, 11:27
Well, it looks like I'll have the opportunity to do the Atkins to Damascus section before I start my new job on the 11th. A few questions for anyone familiar with this section:

How are the bugs this time of year? I'll be bringing bug spray, but should I consider a headnet or even a Bug Bivy?
I'm planning on bringing a 35-degree bag, which looks like it should be sufficient given the weather forecast for Damascus (lows of 50F, which shouldn't translate below 40F at Thomas Knob Shelter a few thousand feet higher). Does anyone think I should lug another 10 ounces to bring my 20-degree bag?
Can anyone recommend a decent tent site south of Partnership Shelter and before Trimpi Shelter for my first night out? I'll probably eat dinner at Partnership and camel up on water, so I just need a reasonably flat site.Thanks for your help.

bigcranky
05-30-2007, 12:44
Well, it looks like I'll have the opportunity to do the Atkins to Damascus section before I start my new job on the 11th. A few questions for anyone familiar with this section:

How are the bugs this time of year? I'll be bringing bug spray, but should I consider a headnet or even a Bug Bivy?
I'm planning on bringing a 35-degree bag, which looks like it should be sufficient given the weather forecast for Damascus (lows of 50F, which shouldn't translate below 40F at Thomas Knob Shelter a few thousand feet higher). Does anyone think I should lug another 10 ounces to bring my 20-degree bag?
Can anyone recommend a decent tent site south of Partnership Shelter and before Trimpi Shelter for my first night out? I'll probably eat dinner at Partnership and camel up on water, so I just need a reasonably flat site.Thanks for your help.

We just got back from that area. Great hike.

1. Bugs are fine. Maybe a little bug spray, but you won't need a head net or bug bivy at all.

2. A 35-F bag is plenty. I had my 30-f half-draped over my legs at night, and it was still too warm. (Check the weather forecast for "Whitetop, VA" to get a slightly better idea of high country weather. Lows in the mid-50s for the foreseeable future.)

http://tinyurl.com/2qxxt9

3. The trail south of Partnership is a long, gradual downhill for several miles. I don't recall any specific campsites, but you shouldn't have any trouble just throwing down by the side of the trail in several places.

bigcranky
05-30-2007, 12:46
Let me add that the water supply was in reasonable shape -- not as bad as NC and Georgia, but still lower than I would have liked. Streams are running, but some springs were very slow and muddy.

srsfsu
05-30-2007, 14:06
This is good info. I plan on doing this section in a couple weeks. I've been debating whether or not to bring the filter, based on what you told me I think I will.