PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Question

austinlowes17
05-30-2007, 19:17
Hey guys, I'm planning on thru hiking the A.T. around April 1st and I have a sleeping bag question. What temperature rating do you think i'll need, and can you guys recommend any good bags?

Egads
05-30-2007, 19:53
Austinlowes17,

20 deg to be changed to 40-50 deg in Virginia

Research MontBell, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends bags, Nunatek or JRB quilt. This is your big money item in your gear closet.

Use Whiteblaze search bar for endless hours of reading opinions & debates on sleeping bags.

Good luck with your decision

Egads

austinlowes17
05-30-2007, 20:00
I'm checking out REI.COM as we speak, and I kind like the rei sub kilo 20 degree bag. Does anyone have any experience with this bag?

bigcranky
05-30-2007, 21:16
Some people like this bag, others have a vehement hatred for it. My teenage daughter has used an original Sub Kilo for 4-5 years now. It's light weight, *very* narrow cut, and not as well-stuffed with down as some comparable bags. She likes the bag a lot. For the money, it's a decent bag made with high-quality materials, but in our experience the temperature rating is a little optimistic.

You'll want to try it on if at all possible before buying.

austinlowes17
05-30-2007, 21:22
Okay, what's a good alternative to the sub kilo bag? I want to keep it at 20 degrees and it has to be less than $300.

bigcranky
05-30-2007, 21:45
How big are you? (No offense.) I'm large across the shoulders, and a standard narrow-cut mummy is too tight. I use a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a 30-F down bag with a wider girth. Very comfy, and can be ordered with 2 oz of extra down for a warmer bag. That said, I'd take it as-is for an April 1 start, no problem -- but I'd have a warm jacket to wear inside on cold nights. WM makes a wider-cut 20-F bag, too, though I don't recall the name. You might check Montbell bags. They look really tight, but they have elastic baffles that stretch to accommodate large folks and those who thrash in the night.

Deerleg
05-30-2007, 22:30
I agree with Bigcranky.
I have hiked the southern AT several times in early April and a 20 degree bag is a good choice. You should be able to find plenty of quality bags in your price range.

A sleeping bag is like a piece of clothing and if it fits well you will love it and if its too small it can be uncomfortable. I would focus on fit.

That being said, if you learn a few tricks you can stay warm in almost any bag. My son and I spent a very cold night south of Erwin a few years ago and he used my 20 degree bag and I had a 30 degree bag. The temps got in the high teens, but we both stayed warm with a combination of the right clothing and an extra pad used on top for additional insulation for my lighter bag.