PDA

View Full Version : Wide foot, Light shoes?

Passionphish
05-30-2007, 19:33
I've read a few threads on here about trail shoes. Anybody out here that having the same problem I am? I'm 230 lbs, 6 ft and have 2E to 4E feet. What kind of shoes do I use? NewBalance is the only running shoe I can find in widths. Where do I go for Hiking shoes?

I wanna go light if I can. Any suggestions?

greentick
05-30-2007, 19:38
I've read a few threads on here about trail shoes. Anybody out here that having the same problem I am? I'm 230 lbs, 6 ft and have 2E to 4E feet. What kind of shoes do I use? NewBalance is the only running shoe I can find in widths. Where do I go for Hiking shoes?

Dunham, made by New Balance. Also look at the 810AT by NB.

I got some Dunham Nimble XT on clearance for about $50 that seem promising after some short hikes. I wear 4E and have squarish feet (my 2,3,4th toes are the same length).

mudhead
05-31-2007, 04:31
Asics. 2E and 4E in a couple styles. Zappos.com, search by brand, then by shoe size. Also at Dick's.

Mags
05-31-2007, 11:57
Montrail Hardrocks are made in wides as well.

white rabbit
05-31-2007, 12:08
Dunham Tahoma Trail Runner available in 2E or 4E at Campmor.com

Moon Monster
05-31-2007, 14:39
NewBalance is the only running shoe I can find in widths. Where do I go for Hiking shoes?

Running shoes will work on the trail. If you already have NB running shoes, then keep using what you know already works. The extra stiffness from shanks or denser rubber in shoes marketed for "hiking" may not agree with your feet. And other features may not outweigh the benefits of using what fits best, even if that is "running" shoes.

Shoes are always an experiment. You may not know if they're right for you until you log dozens of miles in them on varied types of terrain and in varied weather conditions. I put 75 miles in a pair of new shoes on the smooth dirt trails of Washington state and loved them until a mere five miles on the hidden grass covered rocks of central-Pennsylvania sliced my feet to pulp.

Try buying whatever you get from a dealer with a liberal return policy (like REI).

Mother's Finest
05-31-2007, 14:57
if you wanna go light, why not just wear NB running shoes? as far as protection for the feet goes, there is no functional difference between "trail running shoes" and regular running shoes.

good luck

peace
mf

peakbagger
05-31-2007, 15:46
I did half the AT over the years with New Balances trail runners. I picked up a pair of 810s this spring and out of the box used them for about 50 miles of trail. I think the toe box on the 810's is wider than on the previous 800 series. Note that the 810s are very breathable, and in no way waterproof. Therefore your feet get wet easily but they dry out quick.

My backyard is the whites and I have done plenty of rock hopping and above treeline hiking with the new balance trail runners. No need for heavy boots (I used to use Limmers)

refreeman
05-31-2007, 16:46
Men's Torre GTX Wide from Montrail - color Bark/Sand

Features:
- Waterproof and durable with an extremely supportive design, the Montrail Torre GTX sets a new standard for lightweight boots built for extended trips in the outdoors. A rugged all-leather upper, GORE-TEX liner and exceptional fit ensure its place as a best-seller for years to come.
- Waterproof GORE-TEX construction keeps feet dry while allowing moisture to escape.
- Durable all-leather upper enhances fit and life span.
- Nylon lasting board provides the support and stability needed for multi-day trips with heavy packs.
- Width-specific last ensures the same custom fit for both medium and high volume feet.
- Shoe weighs 1 lb 11 oz.

I am a very similar build as you Passionphish. And I have 2e-4e wide feet. My normal sneakers are New Balance. I have also considered New Balance trail runners. I may still buy some this year, but I am very very very happy with the fit and durability of my Torre GTX Wide from Montrail. I have about 250 miles on my Torres and they are looking and feeling perfect. I tried on at least 40 different pairs of hiking foot wear and the results of my research brought me to the Torre GTX Wide. This past winter an e-retailer had a sale and I bought another pair for $74 shipped.

Remember to wear your hiking socks when trying one hiking foot wear. I wear Smartwool Trekking Expedition socks.

Good luck finding comfort for your WIDE feet.

Chache
05-31-2007, 18:02
Best shoe I ever bought. http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Merrell-Chameleon-II-Stretch/dp/B0009C9BUY

mudhead
06-01-2007, 03:53
Dunham Tahoma Trail Runner available in 2E or 4E at Campmor.com

These are worth $59, but not $69. I am not sure why I don't care for them, probably my feet/stride/gait. I can feel rocks underfoot the same as running shoes, but they do seem more sturdy soled.

Slippery as it gets on snow/ice. Even fresh packy snow. Some soles are like that.

Toolshed
06-01-2007, 11:18
I ahve been extremely pleased with the Dunham Waffle Stomper FGL (Full Grain leather) line of boots over the last 5 years. Before that I wore Merrell FGL Ridglines for a decade in the ADKs and Greens and loved them, though they are heavy. (Before that it was Danner Mountain Lights, which come in wider widths as well.)

I now where NB 809s and my current Waffle Stompers Size 11.5 2E or 4E.

NBWEBEXPRESS is very reasonable with free returns
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category.asp?type=mnfthi&page=1

But also check out Danner.com you might find a nice wide boot there as well under "outdoors"

minnesotasmith
06-01-2007, 11:33
I did have a problem with the inner heel blowing out prematurely on the lowtops. For that reason, you may want to go with hightops. I wear 12 4Es, FWIW.

angewrite
06-01-2007, 11:39
Go to an outfitter with a large selection of hiking shoes/boots (REI, EMS, etc) and talk to the people there. Try on as many pairs of shoes/boots as possible to find the ones with the best fit. Just because a certain shoe worked great for one person it doesn't mean it's the right one for you.

Jaybird
06-01-2007, 11:42

Vasque Velocity trail shoes comes in a WIDE version...
i highly recommend them & they're getting RAVE reviews!:D

Passionphish
06-01-2007, 18:08
Thanks for the MANY responses. I'm going up to walasi yi and have them work me over (this came very recommended for us in Georgia). I am currently looking at the new hiking shoes from NB, Motrail, and Vasque. I'm so glad to find that NB has worked for so many people. It gives me an "old faithful" to fall back on.

bertcourson
06-01-2007, 22:00
I have 11.5 4EEEE and have found that the NB 872, which is made for off road, work well as a walking shoe. They has a toe guard, and mesh top with liner to keep out the dirt. It is the first time in my life I have bought 4 pair of shoes of the same kind! I am down to my last two pair :eek: and hope that the next "upgrade" will be as smooth a ride.

refreeman
08-31-2007, 19:31
This summer I had a quest to find a pair of trail runners that fit my high volume WIDE EEEE feet. I started to look in Backpacker Magazine's Gear of the Year issue that comes out in the spring. I wanted low top trail runners that offered a wide version. That quickly cut the list of possibilities down to about half a dozen. Of course, I searched whiteblaze, and the rest of the internet for reviews and feedback.

I went to EMS, REI and several other outfitters to test the TRs (trail runners). I wanted a tough tread, very supportive/rigid sole, no gortex/fast drying and very breathable, WIDEness in the toe box, narrow heal cup, with lots of support. In short, I wanted a shoe that didn't make me compromise my hiking stride. Well, very few outfitters carry wide versions of shoes even if the manufacturer offers a wide option. So, I tried every TR on I could find, even though they were not the wide versions.

I eventually, 2 months later, had it narrowed down between the Montrail Hardrock and Merrell Reflex II or Radius. My hiking boots are Montrail Torre GTX, that I am very happy with, so I was leaning toward the Hardrocks. I wound up ordering from www.Zappos.com (http://www.Zappos.com) as they carry lots of WIDE footwear. They have free shipping both ways. I had them beat a price from another e-tailer and paid $68.00 shipped. If I had regular width feet I could have gotten the price down further to about $48. I ordered two sizes, a 12 wide and 11 1/2 wide. In the store the regular width shoes fit best at a 12. In wides I normally wear an 11 1/2.

Zappos ships lighting fast. The wide version did feel more comfortable but not as much as I expected. Montrail wides are EE and I am EEEE so I figured that was the difference. I tried the 12 first, but the flex points in the shoes were not lining up exactly with the joints in my feet. The 12s were more roomy but I went to the 11 1/2s for less foot flex fatigue. I returned the 12s to Zappos hassle free (free return shipping). I was thinking the Hardrocks might not workout for me because the fit felt snug.

However, while walking or hiking the support is OUTSTANDING, no rolling ankles, no pronating just support support and support. But my feet did feel a little cramped when I was just sitting down relaxing.

After wearing the Hardrocks for a month, they are now some what broken in and the comfort level has definitely improved. Also, the Hardrocks continue to give superior support in all activities. It took 2 weeks to 2 1/2 weeks to get to the point where my Hardrocks feel broken in. I didn't get any blisters while breaking in the TRs.

So, I like my Hardrocks. I have great confidence in their tread and their support. I can hike aggressively and quickly when I want to. I never have to compromise my strides and maneuvers thanks to my Hardrocks. I am now keeping an eye out for a sale so I can pick up another pair cheap.

Thanks to everyone that posted about their Hardrocks. Your advice has greatly helped my feet and hiking.

Passionphish
08-31-2007, 19:46
I have sadly neglected this thread. But I must chime in. After all the posts and all the questions I have asked of all the people I have run into. I also decided that the Montrail HardRocks were the shoes for me. I love them! They are great at every sport I have thrown them at. Very supportive. It is weird how well they support and fight roll for a low top shoe. I am a huge fan. I am also looking for a sale on this shoe. If you are tall, large, and have wide feet these are the shoes for you!!!! Or atleast, ME!!!

mudhead
09-01-2007, 06:06
Did I read correctly that you got 4E, high volume feet into Hardrocks? I thought they only went to 2E? Do you use inserts?

Problem feet here, would really like to know, as I get frustrated trying on stuff.

refreeman
09-01-2007, 14:21
medhead,

Yes, EEEE feet into EE Hardrocks, no inserts. I almost thought they would not workout and I'd eventually stop wearing them, but after a 2 plus week break in period they are much more comfortable. Still snug, but I believe the snugness is part of the design giving truly excellent support and traction. No blisters or bad hot spots yet. I find myself wearing my Hardrocks all the time now. For me, it turns out true comfort is SUPPORT and not a roomy shoe in which my foot can jostle around.