PDA

View Full Version : 15 miles in one day w/ 4 kids?!

ynot
05-31-2007, 09:11
I am planning on hiking the AT (one section at a time), w/ my 4 kids. They are betweent the ages of 7-12. Does anyone think that going from Blackburn Trail Center to Harper's Ferry Hostel (near the C&O) in one day is possible and not too difficult?:confused:

rafe
05-31-2007, 09:18
What evidence do you have that this could be easy and pleasant?

ynot
05-31-2007, 09:30
Nothing is easy and pleasant w/ 4 kids. I just want to know if it is possible and not too difficult.

weary
05-31-2007, 09:44
I am planning on hiking the AT (one section at a time), w/ my 4 kids. They are between the ages of 7-12. Does anyone think that going from Blackburn Trail Center to Harper's Ferry Hostel (near the C&O) in one day is possible and not too difficult?:confused:
In my experience 15 miles is way to much for a 7-year-old. Most of my three kids were backpacking by ages 3 or 4, but we essentially went from shelter to shelter. We rarely did more than 10 miles a day, and often much less (think five to eight) Could they have gone further? Probably. But for a decade they went with me willingly and enthusiastically.

Something, I doubt they would have done with 15 mile days. We backpacked, rather than day hiked. But the kids packs were light. Essentially, the younger ones carried their sleeping bags, clothing and snacks.

Weary

Skyline
05-31-2007, 10:15
The trail from Blackburn to the C&O is pretty easy--tho with rocky footing in the section after Keys Gap--so probably you and the 12 year old could do it. The younger kids could likely have big problems.

But you know the kids better than any of us, just remember 14+ miles is a lot. How experienced are these kids? How in-shape are they? What have they done in the recent past to lead you to believe they might be up to this, and won't learn to hate backpacking as a result of it?

Why not park at the hostel, shuttle out to Keys Gap, and hike back as a first-run test? That would be fewer miles, and probably more realistic. (Don't park at the Keys Gap trailhead, however--it's known for vandalism.)

1azarus
05-31-2007, 10:35
... survival of the fittest? i wouldn't try that with four inexperienced twenty year olds. go for less distance and have the kids love it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2007, 10:35
Very few children younger than their teens would be up for a 15 mile hike regardless of footing or elevation. Unless these children are experienced hikers who have done similar hikes in the past, I would not recommend this. The likely outcome will be your sanity and patience will be taxed and the kids will learn to hate hiking.

Touch of Grey
05-31-2007, 10:37
I am planning on hiking the AT (one section at a time), w/ my 4 kids. They are betweent the ages of 7-12. Does anyone think that going from Blackburn Trail Center to Harper's Ferry Hostel (near the C&O) in one day is possible and not too difficult?:confused:

With kids that age the first thing I would say from experience is that 5 to 7 miles is going to be about the max you will get from them in one day. Sure you might be able to push them farther, but do youo want them to enjoy the hike or loath you and hiking because of the miles you impose.

Take the time to share the trail and all that you see around you instead of trying to do so many miles. Walk slowly, see the flowers and wild life that is there if you walk slowly, quietly and pay attention. The kids will enjoy it more and maybe be avid hikers later in life.

But hey they are your kids and not mine. Do what you feel necessary. As always you will get a thousand different replies from these forums and as someone else mentioned earlier you should know your kids better than we do so if you feel comfortable with the 15 miles you have planned then go for it. I personally would not.

TOG

QHShowoman
05-31-2007, 10:37
Is it possible, probably. Too difficult, most likely. Even if the trail is relatively easy, I think 15 miles is a lot for most "occasional hikers" in a single day.

I went backpacking in SNP over the holiday and it took my 2 friends and I a little over 3 hours to do 9 miles and we were pooped by the time we made camp. Granted, we had a lot of prolonged climbs, but boy, we all felt it the next day. With young kids, you'll probably stop quite a bit more than we did and hike a bit slower, so it could take you more than 7-8 hours to cover 15 miles ... seems like a lot for little kids.

But, like they say, sometimes when you have to ask, it's because you already know the answer!

ynot
05-31-2007, 10:57
Okay. Any suggestions for a good place to camp between Blackburn Trail Center and the C&0? It has to be cheap-there's five of us. Kids are expensive! Any good camp sites? I don't see nay shelters in my guide book. Maybe I'm missing it.

Skyline
05-31-2007, 11:07
Okay. Any suggestions for a good place to camp between Blackburn Trail Center and the C&0? It has to be cheap-there's five of us. Kids are expensive! Any good camp sites? I don't see nay shelters in my guide book. Maybe I'm missing it.

Only shelter is David Lesser Shelter. But that's just a short 2-3 mile hike from Blackburn.

I don't recall any legal campsites from Keys Gap into HF. Anyone know of one? My recollection is it's pretty rocky without water sources until the last descent to the Shenandoah River (which is off-limits for camping anyway).

Again, why not start at Keys Gap? Just don't park there.

ynot
05-31-2007, 11:24
Kids were just excited about the idea of crossing 4 states. VA, WV, MD, and PA. We're getting picked up at the Mason-Dixon line. I guess 3 states would still give them their bragging rights though. If any one can think of somewhere-please let me know. If not, Keys Gap it is.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2007, 12:47
Splitting it into two days and camping would be an awesome outing for your kids. I don't know that area well enough to recommend a camping spot, but I'm betting someone here does.

Programbo
05-31-2007, 19:19
Kids were just excited about the idea of crossing 4 states. VA, WV, MD, and PA. We're getting picked up at the Mason-Dixon line. I guess 3 states would still give them their bragging rights though. If any one can think of somewhere-please let me know. If not, Keys Gap it is.

I can`t imagine the younger kids have enough comprehension of what exactly awaits them doing 15 miles on a rocky trail in the heat ...There are a LOT of shelters closer together once you enter Maryland..Maybe starting just south of Harpers Ferry at Rt 9 will still get your kids their 4 states but cut down on the milage right off ..That would only be 9.5 miles or so and some of it on the flat C&O Canal

Egads
05-31-2007, 20:34
I put my youngest girl in charge of calling it a day on a GA section. She called it quits at 7.5 miles and still had fun. I could have pushed her further, but at the expense of spoiling the fun trail experience.

Some hikes need to be hiked for the pleasure of others.

gsingjane
05-31-2007, 22:49
We did this last Sunday from Hemlocks to Tom Leonard in MA (14 miles on the trail plus 1 on a detour) with 4 kids, my 8 year old, 12 year old, 15 year old and his 14 year old friend. About 6 miles of the trail was flattish. It was hot and there were bunches of mosquitoes. We did get off and go into South Egremont for sandwiches and drinks which lifted everyone's spirits quite a lot. By the end of it everybody was really happy to see the shelter.

My input...

Jane in CT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2007, 09:29
I can`t imagine the younger kids have enough comprehension of what exactly awaits them doing 15 miles on a rocky trail in the heat ...There are a LOT of shelters closer together once you enter Maryland..Maybe starting just south of Harpers Ferry at Rt 9 will still get your kids their 4 states but cut down on the milage right off ..That would only be 9.5 miles or so and some of it on the flat C&O CanalI echo this suggestion - Programbo is an excellent resourse - she knows this area much better than most.

jesse
06-01-2007, 10:10
another thing to consider is how slow "groups" move. My son and I hike at a pretty good pace, when we take the same trail with his scout troop, the pace is nearly cut in half.

Johnny Swank
06-01-2007, 11:11
I usually use 1 mph as a working figure when leading group trips. With breaks, blisters, repairs, and whatnot, that works out about right more often then not, unless you've got an experienced bunch of folks.

Mags
06-01-2007, 11:17
I usually use 1 mph as a working figure when leading group trips. With breaks, blisters, repairs, and whatnot, that works out about right more often then not, unless you've got an experienced bunch of folks.

That is right on! Unless it is a pre-screened group of people who are comitted to a faster pace, groups definitely go slower. Breaks take longer and tend to be more frequent. A group dynamic is much different. Can be rewarding in some ways, but planning to do "big" (a relative term to say the least) mileage is usuallyout of the question.

weary
06-01-2007, 11:32
That's my rule also. Both for me and for groups. Quite often I exceed that mileage. But if I plan on more than that, a lot of things tend to happen that push me off schedule.

But I like to poke around, take side trails, look at flowers and bugs and scenic views, take photos, etc.

Weary

Jaybird
06-01-2007, 11:40

it IS possible...but, why are you torturing your kids?:D

Marta
06-01-2007, 12:33

It's amazing how slowly groups move. Last year I enjoyed encountering a couple dozen college orientation groups from all the ivies. Here were kids in their physical prime taking six days to cover 30 miles. They were blown away by me--a grey-haired woman their mothers' age--doing that distance in two days. Yeah, they were always stopping, en masse, to take jackets off or put them on, get water, etc. Meals were a huge production.

As for young kids....I'm in the same camp as most of the other posters. Been there, done that and I'd advise caution. If I were you, I'd consider the abilities of the weakest/least enthusiastic member of the group and design the trip so that child can do it and wants to do it.

When I was hiking with my kids when they were young, I used food as a carrot (hah, hah). On the way to whatever trail I suspected would last slightly longer than their enthusiasm for hiking it, I stopped at the store. The various kids were allowed to pick out junky snacks we never had at home. The junk food went into my pack and was doled out at strategic rest breaks. That usually made the whiner(s) forget their tiredness or whatever, and take off running down the trail fifteen minutes later.

My youngest son, who is sitting here in the office with me right now (he's 21 and is working here this summer) has just started reminiscing about our West Highland Way hike (92 miles long), made when he was 11. Our longest day on that hike was 18 or 19 miles, but he had done loads of hiking before then. Depending on your summer plans, you might be able to do a series of increasingly-long day hikes, leading up to the 15-miler.

Lots of luck and have a great time!

Marta/Five-Leaf

weary
06-01-2007, 13:23
....When I was hiking with my kids when they were young, I used food as a carrot (hah, hah). On the way to whatever trail I suspected would last slightly longer than their enthusiasm for hiking it, I stopped at the store. The various kids were allowed to pick out junky snacks we never had at home. The junk food went into my pack and was doled out at strategic rest breaks. That usually made the whiner(s) forget their tiredness or whatever, and take off running down the trail fifteen minutes later.....
My mother took her brood -- eventually six kids -- camping for 2.5 months every summer at the Dolly Copp Campground in the WMNF outside of Gorham. A practice she continued until she was 85, though few of her kids joined her for more than a day or two by then.

But while we were still young she would entice us up the Imp, Washington, Carter Dome, Madison et al by announcing "just a few more feet. There's a soft rock up here."

Seven decades later we continue to spur each other up steep trails with promises of "a soft rock, just a few more feet."

Weary

Johnny Swank
06-01-2007, 15:46
It's amazing how slowly groups move. Last year I enjoyed encountering a couple dozen college orientation groups from all the ivies. Here were kids in their physical prime taking six days to cover 30 miles. They were blown away by me--a grey-haired woman their mothers' age--doing that distance in two days.

Yeah - but you're Marta! Us weaklings don't stand a chance against you!

Marta
06-01-2007, 16:35
Yeah - but you're Marta! Us weaklings don't stand a chance against you!

LOL.

I'm just stubborn.;)

And now I'm signing off to leave for NH and ME for the week. Mt. Washington and Mt. Katahdin, here I come. Yeehaw!

Marta/Five-Leaf

corporal
06-01-2007, 17:19
its very possible, being a 22 year old whom grew up hiking you can make it, just plan on it being a long day with some tired kids at the end.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2007, 18:55
And now I'm signing off to leave for NH and ME for the week. Mt. Washington and Mt. Katahdin, here I come. Yeehaw!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/dinoenvytoes.jpg
::: Green with envy dino bites Marta on toes :::

Just Jeff
06-02-2007, 14:29
Parents like to hike. Kids like to explore. If you want them to enjoy themselves, stay flexible enough to let them figure out what they'll enjoy in the woods. If they want to skip rocks for 30 minutes, why push them on just so you make X amount of mileage? If they enjoy hiking 15 miles a day, that's fine, too.

But the important thing is to remember why you're taking the trip in the first place - is it to enjoy yourselves on a family trip in nature, or to say "We hiked this far, this fast, even though I had to drag him along..." JMHO - hope you find something that works for you and your family. Enjoy your trip!

cutman11
06-05-2007, 20:51
I have taken all of my 3 sons hiking on sections at various times since I started hiking in 2000. Until the kids are physically mature, I have found their age to be a reasonable estimate of the number of miles per day max. My 8 yr old could do an easy 8mi, but harder terrain was less. He did do 14 on the last day of a 4 day, 35 mile hike (to get to a hotel, shower, and pizza). My 15 year old has done over 300 miles with me, starting at age 11. His hikes: Age 11 = 12 mi in 2 days, Age 12= 32 mi in 3 days, Age 13= 50 miles in 4 days, Age 14 = 100 mi in 6 days with one zero midway, Age 15= 110 mi in 6 days (SNP and NVA, some parts slackpacked). All of these were northbound hikes, but were selected for terrain that would be easier, and usually the first or last day had some harder terrain but less miles planned, and most of the hikes had some interesting features (great views, passing headstones, monuments, bridges over creeks, etc). The other sections with primarily "green tunnel" or with more difficult terrain (steep climbs, rocky sections) I would hike alone, rather than create a "forced march" for the kids. I also think the experience taking ONE child per trip is to be considered -- I found it was a good one on one bonding experience, the sibling rivalry issues are eliminated, and you can often get a bit more miles hiked as if the child gets tired, you can help out by carrying part of their packload, versus having several children together, in which case as others have posted, there is more stopping, and you cant carry the load for all of them to get a little further up the trail when needed.

ynot
06-06-2007, 06:53
Thanks guys. I have already changed my start point to Harper's Ferry. I never question experience. We are going to do 5 miles a day. I love you guys!

Programbo
06-06-2007, 18:10
Thanks guys. I have already changed my start point to Harper's Ferry. I never question experience. We are going to do 5 miles a day. I love you guys!

Most of the trail from WV-PA is fairly rolling as it follows the top of the ridgeline..But that first climb up out of the Potomac River/C&O Canal to the top of the ridge is a fairly testy little affair..I think it gains like 550' over 1.3 miles just to the cliffs and then it`s a steady tough less steep climb up from there to the ridge....Of course that`s a lot better than back in the 70`s when no one really cared about switchbacks and the trail just shot straight up those 550' ........By the way...If you start in Harper's Ferry you kids will lose VA in their 4 states bragging rights :-?