PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Neels Gap to Dick's Creek Gap 6/16

Midway Sam
05-31-2007, 09:35
Will we have any problems finding reliable water?

Thanks in advance

UnkaJesse
05-31-2007, 13:39
It will probably not matter to you, but the spring at Bull Gap was dry Memorial Day weekend. Had to follow the streambed down the hill for 400 yards of bushwhacking to find the next stream, and it was almost stagnant it was moving so slowly.

That's only a short distance out of Neel's, but it is probably indicative of what to expect. Also, the Rock Spring Top water source was just a puddle -- hardly moving.

I started at Hogpen going south, so that's all I can tell you about for sure.

soulrebel
05-31-2007, 17:58
hogpen to unicoi gap -- low gap shelter water is a slow trickle, the main spring is still running at cold water about 45mins hike after low gap---nice flow and you can still stick your head under it...was there may 24th

Condor
06-01-2007, 00:17
Water was slow but good neels to unicoi on memorial day weekend

bigben
06-01-2007, 13:34
We just did this section last month and I wish someone would have told me that the water at Sassafrass Gap, which is a great camping spot, was WAAAY down a steep hill, a good 1/4 mile+ from our tents. Carrying 8 liters up that hill(in Crocs) after 12.2 hard miles from Blue Mtn. Shelter was NOT the highlight of my trip.

BTW: that water, Jack's Spring, was flowing like a champ, as was the stream halfway up Rocky Mtn, the one on the way to Blue Mtn shelter, and several after. The 1st two waters after Levelland Mtn on the way to Low Gap sucked.

Bigben