PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On MRE Meals. Good Or Bad?

headchange4u
05-31-2007, 09:40
I 've been getting a catalog in the mail from a company called Emergency Esstenials ( www.beprepared.com (http://www.beprepared.com) ) which sells a lot of dehydrated food, first aid supplies, etc. Everything a person would need for a bomb shelter.:rolleyes:

They have the MRE entrees on sale this month for like 2.50 each. From the website they look like 8 oz meals. A little less than I like but the price is right.

I am specifically looking at the following meals:

Chicken Salsa
Cajun Rice w/ Beans and Sauage
Ham & Shrimp Jambalaya
BBQ Sauce w/ Beef (Sloppy Joe)
Cheese Omelet
Beef Enchilada in Sauce

The also have "packets" of cheese spread for .65 and peanut butter for .45 and various side entrees like rice dishes, applesauces, and bean dishes that run for 1.50-1.75 per serving.

I have never had an MRE that I can remember. How do they tatse? Has anyone tried any of the meals listed above and could give me some recommendations on what is good and bad? Are they worth the money for what you get?

Thanks.:sun

rafe
05-31-2007, 09:42
I took MREs on one section hike. A neighbor gave them to me. They were awful.

Tractor
05-31-2007, 10:16
I've had a few MRE's and I liked 'em. I would not carry those "bricks" on a long hike though......

Touch of Grey
05-31-2007, 10:31
First of all when dealing with a lot of these websites that offer MRE's and dehydrated foods, make sure before you order that these meals or foods are certified to be fresh.

In other words, many of these people (and by all means I am not implying that they all are doing this) are buying these things surplus. Therefore some of these meals can be well past or near their expiration date. Not that this can be an issue if you are going to use them relatively soon and the dates are not too far gone.

That having been said, it's been a while since I have eaten MRE's and truthfully there are some that are better than others. This is pretty much true of the freeze-dried meals by Mountain House and the others which are sold at outfitters all over.

Personally I find it hard to recommend to anyone else a specific meal only because my palate is different from your and what satisfies me may not satisfy you. For instance, back in April when I went back to the trail for the section from Neels to Addis Gap I carried a Stroganoff (very good in my opinion), a Beef stew (okay but was rather bland) and a Mac and Beef ( again rather bland and also okay).

As always your mileage, taste or perceptions may be the same or very different.

You might PM Sgt. Rock. He would have the most recent experience on this issue. Or Just Jeff might have some input. Both I believe are active duty currently.

TOG

The Old Fhart
05-31-2007, 10:35
while a gourmand might turn up their nose at MREs, some are quite good and I have many that I eat on the trail or at home. The entire meals aren't practical for long distance hiking but some of the meal components are good to take. The cooked ham slice or chicken breast at about 4-5 ounce each are tasty, especially after a few days on the trail. Sample a few at home before you buy a lot to take hiking with you. Keep in mind that some of the MRE meals may have commercial equivalents that are cheaper and lighter.

headchange4u
05-31-2007, 10:54
They are supposed to be new/fresh. They catalog has a picture of the chicken salsa and it looks good and I thought that would be good with some pita bread or similar.

I may order a couple just to try them.

The Old Fhart
05-31-2007, 11:01
HeadChange4U-"They catalog has a picture of the chicken salsa and it looks good and I thought that would be good with some pita bread or similar."if it is the 'chicken breast strips with chunky salsa', 170 calories, 8 ounce, it is pretty good.

RiverWarriorPJ
05-31-2007, 11:05
..I've had a few of the MREs you mentioned & they were good....but they're too heavy 4 backpacking unless you have a 5 ton following you on the hike...hUmm....MREs or aMMo.....??..aMMo it is...
x

Mags
05-31-2007, 11:24
MREs are great if you have the logistic support of the US Military. :) The average infantry person is not hiking 10-20 (or more) miles a day.

From what I understand, the people who do long trips (Special forces, recon and other people who sport really cool titles) pack meals not too far off from commercially available mountain house type meals. They are called LRPs (Long Range Patrol) meals.
See http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/oqmg/professional_bulletin/2001/Winter01/The_Alphabet_Soup_of_Combat_Rations.htm

As you can see, you have to add water and boil. Sounds familiar! :-?

Long story short? If you are doing short trips, the MREs (esp. for that price) may not be a bad idea. For desert hiking, I could see the appeal, too. No water needed!

Otherwise, just shop at your local grocery store for something lighter, more calories and less expensive.

sarbar
05-31-2007, 11:32
The company is decent..the meals? I don't know :D

headchange4u
05-31-2007, 11:32
if it is the 'chicken breast strips with chunky salsa', 170 calories, 8 ounce, it is pretty good.

That's the stuff.:D

I'm just looking at these things for overnights and such; no long distances.

ABN-Sapper
05-31-2007, 12:34
I'm currently active duty Army, and have eaten all the MREs you mentioned. In terms of taste, I find them all pretty good. I would not recommend carrying them on a hike though. For the most part, MREs are way too heavy, and you can easily find alternatives that are lighter and will taste better. In terms of "fresh", MREs are designed to have a very long shelf-life. It's not uncommon at all to open an MRE that was manufactured 5 or more years ago. If you decide to buy them, and one of the components is bad, you will know because the foil bag it comes in will be bloated. If the bag has actually burst, the smell will knock you down. With 20 + years of dealing with MREs, I have only encountered one that had gone bad.

Just Jeff
05-31-2007, 23:20
Chicken Salsa
Ham & Shrimp Jambalaya
Cheese Omelet
Beef Enchilada in Sauce

The also have "packets" of cheese spread for .65 and peanut butter for .45 and various side entrees like rice dishes, applesauces, and bean dishes that run for 1.50-1.75 per serving.

The new MREs aren't bad at all...kinda like microwave meals or canned stews or something. I've had all of these except the cheese omelet...that looked too scary when I saw someone else eat it so I stayed away. But the others were fine, though. Although they're not on your list, I especially liked the various chicken entrees - Chicken Tetrazini, Jamaican Chicken, etc. They were actually pretty good.

The cheese and PB are ok, too. Probably full of chemicals if that matters to you, but it tastes ok and the pouch is convenient. The jalapeno cheese with the vegetable crackers is worth trading an entree for when you're living off of the things...good stuff.

Living on MREs for several days is fine, especially if they're only a supplement to other meals. It's a decent way to get all of your vitamins and stuff, too.

Re: the weight - yeah, it's heavier. But it's relative - my base weight is about 12 pounds including comfort items...so what's another 3 pounds of food for the convenience of MREs? And if you bring along the MRE heater you can leave the stove and fuel behind and still have a hot meal with no cleanup. On my last trip (Three Ridges (http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesThreeRidges.html)), I didn't have time to shop for food so I grabbed two MREs from the commissary, repackaged them in the car (they come with a lot of extra packaging), and hiked out. Enjoyed the hike and skipped a lot of the prep time. Sure there are lighter ways, but if you're only out for a few days then MREs are a convenient way to add variety and simplicity to your diet.

I wouldn't plan a thru with them, but they're ok for a section if you have the rest of your pack weight under control.

buckowens
05-31-2007, 23:36
I will agree with ABN-Sapper in that they are not bad, and are getting better. But are still not the best for hiking as they are heavy for sure in most cases. The heaters are pretty cool in that you add a little water and they are hot. Also, the tiny Tabasco bottles are a soldiers dream...:D

For my upcoming section I am hitting the local Wally-World and getting the lighter weight items available today.

Hooch
06-01-2007, 02:59
For my upcoming section I am hitting the local Wally-World and getting the lighter weight items available today. The first time I tried MRE's, I was a private in recruit traing at Parris Island, SC in 1987. They were awful, but I was happy to have something to eat. That said, during the term of my enlistment, MRE's got progressively better, even to the point that, as Buck said, they had a few goodies in there like mini-Tabasco and M&M's. The last time I had an MRE was after I got off active duty and was in the reserves for a few more years. They acutally pretty tasty at that time and even contained a chemical heater to warm your chow through with before you ate it, if you so desired. During my active duty time, the calories from an MRE were sufficinet to sustain us on long range patrols, but it was always best to open the entire MRE and pull out the things you wanted to take and discard what you didn't to save space and weight.

Buck, where are you sectioning? I'm going from I-40 to Hot Springs starting this coming Tuesday. Have a good hike and be safe!

I, for one, like the dancing banana. :banana

superman
06-01-2007, 07:13
A friend gave me a pile of MREs when I was hiking the AT in 2000. Seemed to me that they were heavy and the packaging was half the weight. I was very unimpressed with them. I was offered more for free and I turned them down. Way back in my field duty days we had left over C-rations from WWII that were fine with me. In "67" they gave me LRRP rations. They were a lot like the Lipton meals you hike with today. They were very light. You could eat them dry but only if you took a good drink. I only remember chicken with rice and spaghetti with meatballs. There may have been more menus. I hope for the sake of our fine troops that they've improved the MREs.

Furlough
06-01-2007, 08:43
I have been exposed to MREs for the past 21 years in the Army. The new ones have come a very long way and are reallly quite good. In terms of quality and taste I can tell you from very recent first hand experience they are very good. Like any other meal selection there will be some you do not like and would not order if you went out to a restaurant. There are 2 in your list that I particularly like: the Cajun Rice w/ Beans and Sausage, and the Ham & Shrimp Jambalaya.

But I probably would not take them back packing, or at least if I did I would break the package down into just the essentials and not carry them packaged as they come. There are numerous off the grocery store shelf options to choose from that are both less expensive and more importantly to many lighter to carry around.

Furlough

greentick
06-01-2007, 08:46
Mister E has definately improved from the old Cat and Dog loaf :eek: of the late 80s.

Concur with previous posts...

The newer ones taste good until you have to eat them for an extended period of time - you should be fine.

The only difference with the current LRP rats is that the main meal is dehydrated. They compare favorably to off the shelf dehydrated meals except you can't seal the empty bag after you are done eating. I use the mountain house type bags to haul trash after eating.

Back in the day we would strip all extraneous packaging from the mre and you could put 2 meal in one outer bag = one days food. Seal the bag with 100mph tape and use it to haul the refuse cause they stink.

You will clear the privy within 12-24 hours of consumption. Be prepare to hear the comment "Smells like something died."

leeki pole
06-01-2007, 09:46
Is it still true that armor (in the Army) thinks apricots in an MRE are bad luck?:-?

buckowens
06-01-2007, 10:01
The first time I tried MRE's, I was a private in recruit traing at Parris Island, SC in 1987. They were awful, but I was happy to have something to eat. That said, during the term of my enlistment, MRE's got progressively better, even to the point that, as Buck said, they had a few goodies in there like mini-Tabasco and M&M's. The last time I had an MRE was after I got off active duty and was in the reserves for a few more years. They acutally pretty tasty at that time and even contained a chemical heater to warm your chow through with before you ate it, if you so desired. During my active duty time, the calories from an MRE were sufficinet to sustain us on long range patrols, but it was always best to open the entire MRE and pull out the things you wanted to take and discard what you didn't to save space and weight.

Buck, where are you sectioning? I'm going from I-40 to Hot Springs starting this coming Tuesday. Have a good hike and be safe!

I, for one, like the dancing banana. :banana

Hammock Hooch,

My daughter and I are starting out at Amicalola SP and are headed North. I am still on Active Duty and my Commander has given me a "flexible" leave to do the hike. I have plenty on the books and can take extra if we want to go slow. Planning on coming off in the GSMNP.

Have a good hike!

greentick
06-01-2007, 10:24
Hammock Hooch,

My daughter and I are starting out at Amicalola SP and are headed North. I am still on Active Duty and my Commander has given me a "flexible" leave to do the hike. I have plenty on the books and can take extra if we want to go slow. Planning on coming off in the GSMNP.

Have a good hike!

Buck, Me and a few buds are going Clingman's to Fontana June 9-11, you going that far?

buckowens
06-01-2007, 10:52
Buck, Me and a few buds are going Clingman's to Fontana June 9-11, you going that far?

We are going to try to come off at US/441 Newfound Gap as long all goes well. We will do what is fun, give my wife the GPS coordinates and have her come and get us!!:D

headchange4u
06-01-2007, 15:16
Stripping off any unneeded packaging is S.O.P. for me. I do that with any store bought items that I take hiking with me.

I think I may give a couple of the meals a try. I will report back.

rafe
06-01-2007, 15:44
Stripping off any unneeded packaging is S.O.P. for me.

The packaging is the one thing that's right about MREs. :rolleyes: Come to think of it, packaging is what we do best in the US of Hey. It's the contents that usually suck.

digger51
06-02-2007, 02:16
Furlough...are you currently in Iraq? My youngest is getting ready to head over there and I am trying to find out a few things for him. Could you drop me a PM? Thanks.

buckowens
06-02-2007, 11:02
Is it still true that armor (in the Army) thinks apricots in an MRE are bad luck?:-?

Leeki pole,

I checked with an Armor officer at work, as well as a few Cavalry Scouts (Bradleys) and nobody has heard of the apricot thing... I have one more Armor Lieutenant Colonel who has been around a day or two and will ask him when I see him.

ric2hunt
06-02-2007, 14:14
MRE's are not that bad. The normal weight for a true military mre is around 30 oz so I am not sure what this web site is selling. I have carried MREs on hikes but only after opening them up and getting rid of all the unnecessary items-matches,gum,S&P packs, etc. The drink mixes vary. If you do want to carry a stove the heaters work well, otherwise toss them to cut weight.

Have a great hike.

Just Jeff
06-02-2007, 14:21
The entrees come in a foil pack, inside a box. To heat, you add water to the little heater and slide it into the box with the entree.

But to save weight when hiking, I take only one entree box and reuse it for however many entrees/heaters I bring along. One box is good for several uses...and that saves the weight/bulk of more cardboard.

RockStar
06-02-2007, 14:29
I have never been in the military but, a friend of mine was given MREs after the hurricane and dumped some off on me. She said they shoved boxes of them in her car and she had one left. She was sick of them and the lights where back on. So I use to eat them at work for my lunches/dinners. Some WHERE better than others. Some were so yummy and quick I went to www.longlifefoods.com (http://www.longlifefoods.com) and ordered some. They sell individual parts of MRE meals. I ordered the Mexican rice with some packets of squeeze Jalapeno cheese. I do NOT like Jalapenos but, this cheese is SO delicious in the mExican rice. I also ordered some hamburgers and some A1 packets from another site, cant remember the name of it off hand. I will say I like more of the MRE meals than MountainHouse Meals. I HATE kidney beans, red beans, and another I cant think of. EVERY stupid meal I bought had one of those in it! I sat and picked every bean out and it still tasted like those buggers!

I am going to try dehydrating some meals and buying from other companies like backpackers pantry. Try the MREs. I probably will carry one every so often to have something new to eat first day out or so.

My favorite thing is the Strawberry Milkshake! Man that thing is good. had it for Breakfast.410 calories, 3oz and $1.50. It was a thick glass of strawberry cream milk that you can drink right from the package!

ozt42
06-02-2007, 14:50
No one mentioned the other benefit. If you exist solely on MRE's for a week or two you'll save a fortune on toilet paper. ;)

Just Jeff
06-03-2007, 00:28
Yep - and you'll hike faster b/c you'll spend less time wiping. :eek:

Sysiphus
07-03-2007, 02:35
Are the Omelet and sloppy Joe back in production? If not, they are from the "dark brown MRE" days. Those heaters also sucked, not worth wasting the water! If they are new production, or 'knock-off" MREs, they should be pretty good. If they are the 80's omelet.......don't worry, it tasted 20 years old 20 years ago!

Newb
07-08-2007, 21:43
We've been over this before...but I'll make a pitch for MREs. If you're traveling for under 3 days between re-supply some MRE parts make great sense. I order online from Long LIfe foods.. http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/home.asp

The single packets of peanut butter and the MRE crackers make a great high calorie snack...over 450 calories.

I purchase individual meals and heater packs. No need to purchase entire MREs, as you don't use the entire meal. Only purchase entrees and sides. MREs have a big calorie load, so are worth it to me. I figure that the water in the MREs is water you'd have to carry anyways to cook/rehydrate your food.

I really like the beef enchilada, the raviolis, and the chili-mac. Anyways, a few MRE entrees and the peanut butter/crackers are good to take along, and they taste great. Just make sure you're buying new MRE stock, don't buy from some surplus dealer who may be selling 5 year old crap.

Jimmers
07-08-2007, 22:40
Hmm, I didn't know you could buy just the sides. The breads and jellies were always my favorite part of the package. Thnkas for the link!

superman
07-09-2007, 08:10
Yeah, but can you use MREs for making early warning devices and booby traps?

greentick
07-09-2007, 09:10
Yeah, but can you use MREs for making early warning devices and booby traps?

No, but you can make a fashionable handbag...

it's what all the kids were carryin in Afghanistan:rolleyes: .

Newb
07-09-2007, 15:12
My unit filmed the dropping of Humanitarian Daily Rations on Afghanistan in the early days of the war. It was a great mission to be part of...dropping tons of food on an unsuspecting ally from 35,000 feet. Actually, it did do some good as some remote villagers were able to endure being cut off from supplies as a result of the conflict at the time...

http://ships.bouwman.com/C17/index.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/iraq/2003/iraq-030410-centcom01-different-rations.jpg

twosticks
07-09-2007, 15:18
I 've been getting a catalog in the mail from a company called Emergency Esstenials ( www.beprepared.com (http://www.beprepared.com) ) which sells a lot of dehydrated food, first aid supplies, etc. Everything a person would need for a bomb shelter.:rolleyes:

They have the MRE entrees on sale this month for like 2.50 each. From the website they look like 8 oz meals. A little less than I like but the price is right.

I am specifically looking at the following meals:

Chicken Salsa
Ham & Shrimp Jambalaya
Cheese Omelet
Beef Enchilada in Sauce

I have never had an MRE that I can remember. How do they tatse? Has anyone tried any of the meals listed above and could give me some recommendations on what is good and bad? Are they worth the money for what you get?

Thanks.:sun

My buddy brought those along on 4 day hike. He got the worst constipation you could imagine. I think those things are designed to make you not *****. I'd stay away.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-09-2007, 15:55
I will agree with ABN-Sapper in that they are not bad, and are getting better. But are still not the best for hiking as they are heavy for sure in most cases. The heaters are pretty cool in that you add a little water and they are hot. Also, the tiny Tabasco bottles are a soldiers dream...:D

For my upcoming section I am hitting the local Wally-World and getting the lighter weight items available today.

Back in the '68-69 time frame the parent Company of Tabasco sent larger bottles free of charge to Viet Nam if you simply mailed them a postcard. Most of the C-rats were older than I was at the time, but that Tabasco Sauce is timeless. Squids, Jarheads and Zoomers appreciated it just like you Doggies.

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2007, 16:20
I agree with what others have said. Some of these meals are actually pretty tasty, but in their original condition they are much too heavy; too bulky; produce too much trash, and contain too many things you probably don't need or want. If you go with 'em, pick the right ones, and strip 'em down.....lose the stuff you may not want such as outer packaging, heating element, gum, etc. Thing is, tho, there is so much available now in terms of dried/dehydrated food; meat or complete meals in pouches; easy-to-prepare meals; etc., in all likelihood you'll be able to purchase or make other meals that are either lighter, tastier, more nutritous, have a higher caloric ammount, and are cheaper. Or maybe all of the above. For most folks, in most cases, you can do better than MRE's. Bottom line is most of my meals on the Trail are lot lighter, they taste better, and produce a lot less garbage.

icemanat95
07-09-2007, 17:16
Unless your body is used to dealing with them, MRE's tend to bind you up. Drink lots of water.

greentick
07-09-2007, 18:09
BTW, if you heat your MRE by boiling the packet in water do not consume that water. Chemicals leach off of the packets and it aint fit to drink. Probably why they started putting the heaters in the meals.

Fiddleback
07-09-2007, 19:33
Unless your body is used to dealing with them, MRE's tend to bind you up.

Not everyone...:o

FB

Ramble~On
07-10-2007, 01:00
While there are some tasty MRE's and the notion of eatting them might seem like a good idea you can do a lot better from the shelf of most grocery stores and save money and weight at the same time.
I have found aluminum foil packaged meals on grocery store shelves that are very similar to the entree of an MRE pouch but way better, lighter and less expensive....
If you have a bunch of MRE's on hand or have a friend or relative in the military willing to give you some...have at it..FREE is GOOD !

fiddlehead
07-10-2007, 08:19
Free is better than cheap! (quote by Rainman vermont)

superman
07-10-2007, 09:34
Do they still issue LRRP rations? They were similar to Lipton meals. I only remember spaghetti/meatball and rice/chicken. There were probably more but that was 40 years ago.
I believe Baltimore Jack gave the correct assessment of the military meals. For civilian hiking there are better, lighter, cheaper and more available foods in most markets.

Jim Adams
07-11-2007, 00:34
usually too heavy and bulky

geek

Jimmers
07-11-2007, 10:19
Do they still issue LRRP rations? They were similar to Lipton meals. I only remember spaghetti/meatball and rice/chicken. There were probably more but that was 40 years ago.

They still use something similar today, mostly for special ops units that need to carry all of the gear they'll need for weeks without a resupply. They're essentially gvt spec versions of freeze dried meals you eat as a hiker.

Mags
07-11-2007, 11:19
They still use something similar today, mostly for special ops units that need to carry all of the gear they'll need for weeks without a resupply. They're essentially gvt spec versions of freeze dried meals you eat as a hiker.

Something I posted earlier:
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/oqmg/professional_bulletin/2001/Winter01/The_Alphabet_Soup_of_Combat_Rations.htm

The part of the link pertient to the question:

What ever happened to the LRP of the 1960s? Requirements for the LRP are now being met though the combined MCW/LRP Ration. The Meal, Cold Weather (MCW) and the Food Packet, Long Range Patrol (LRP) is designed to meet the joint service requirements of the Marine Corps and the Army Special Operational Forces (SOF). The Marine Corps requires appropriate nutritional and operational characteristics for extremely cold environments. The SOF require a restricted-calorie ration with a long shelf life for initial assaults, special operations and long-range reconnaissance missions. The same 12 menus (9 dinner/3 breakfast) provide dehydrated entrees, cereal bars, cookie and candy components, instant beverages, accessory packets and plastic spoons. Meals are packed 12 per shipping container. The LRP is considered a restricted-calorie, full-day ration for a maximum usage of 10 days. The LRP is nutritionally compatible with the MRE to allow menu mixes. Each menu provides an average of 1,540 calories (15 per cent proteins, 35 per cent fats, and 50 per cent carbohydrates).
The consumer prepares the food. The water requirement is 16 ounces for the entrée and 16 ounces for the beverages.

Footslogger
07-11-2007, 11:22
Yeah ...the LRP's (lurps) rocked ! Now the MRE's are a different story all together.

'Slogger

superman
07-11-2007, 12:08
Yeah ...the LRP's (lurps) rocked ! Now the MRE's are a different story all together.
'Slogger
This brief summary has attempted to spell out (pardon the pun) the Alphabet Soup of Combat Rations.

What all this shows me is that I couldn't serve in todays military. I'd starve before I figured out what was food. LOL

In 67 if there was more than the entree in the LRRP rations we had we never saw it. The entree (Lipton like meal) could be eaten as you walked dry, or you could put water in via one corner and hope that the bag stayed upright. I never saw one actually cooked. It didn't matter what you did to them so long as you added lots of water. It was not uncommon to supplement them with green rice balls.

greentick
07-13-2007, 21:05
Do they still issue LRRP rations? They were similar to Lipton meals. I only remember spaghetti/meatball and rice/chicken. There were probably more but that was 40 years ago....

LRPs are back. The main difference between LRPs and MREs is that the main entree is dehydrated. I think a couple had ramen for good measure. Off the top of my head entrees included spaghetti, lasagna, chicken and rice, thai (yeah right) chicken, turkey tetrazini. I had a case I brought back from asscrackastan and used the main meals. Down side is that there is no zip top so I brought a clip for use while rehydrating.

johnny quest
07-16-2007, 12:12
has anyone still on active duty had a chance to sample the first strike ration? they are supposed to be half the weight of the mre.

superman
07-16-2007, 15:24
LRPs are back. The main difference between LRPs and MREs is that the main entree is dehydrated. I think a couple had ramen for good measure. Off the top of my head entrees included spaghetti, lasagna, chicken and rice, thai (yeah right) chicken, turkey tetrazini. I had a case I brought back from asscrackastan and used the main meals. Down side is that there is no zip top so I brought a clip for use while rehydrating.

I also remember that the bag that the entree came in seemed to be close to bullet proof or tear proof. If you didn't have a knife to open it you were out of luck.
We didn't expect things to reseal in those days. I don't know if zip lock had been invented yet. Clips? Didn’t have one, don’t know where I would have gotten one…I wonder if they’d been invented yet? LOL
If our cars were made as good as military packaging they'd last forever.

refreeman
07-16-2007, 19:41
MRE = worst trail food

Bearpaw
12-02-2007, 16:32

You can't get apricots in any MRE because of the old superstition that bringing apricots aboard any tracked vehicle will cause it to break down. In the Marine Corps, Amtrackers WILL hurt you for bringing them aboard. Don't even talk about it. It is seriously BAD juju. And let's face it, there is a lot to be said for mind over matter.

I can't say much for the U. S. Army, since the M1A1 tank really is the best tank ever put on the battlefield. It might stand up to the apricot theory.

Supposedly, the idea came from WW I when the new cranky tanks did alright until apricots started coming into field rations. Then suddenly MANY of them began breaking down. It was probably a small part reaching the end of its expected lifespan, but the superstition was born and stills runs strong today.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-02-2007, 17:22
Just a quick reference to wiki with field rats from various countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_ration

Newb
12-03-2007, 08:26
STOP IT. I have MREs right now. They rock. Sure, they're heavy, but you don't need to carry that much if you resupply every few days.

The current MRE set is GOOD. I carry a few entree pouches with me when I hike as well as the crackers/peanut butter. The fortified (light weight) crackers and peanut butter have 140/250 calories per serving. That 's a good and quick shot of energy. Same with the wheat bread and blackberry jam. Its filling and packed with energy in a small package.

The burrito entrees, tortellini, chicken with black beans...these all taste great and are super convenient.

If you haven't had an MRE entree in 10 years then don't comment on them. They're completely different now. Gone are the indigestion infestation known as the 3 hot dogs of doom.

Don't carry a whole MRE pouch, just buy the entrees and sides. Don't discount them for flavor if you haven't tried every one of them.

johnny quest
12-03-2007, 10:48
you tell'em newb!
anyone who would drop that much coin on those hoighty toighty (sp?) dehydrated designer backpacking meals has no bidness badmouthing us poor white trash that want to hump mre components. myself, i intend to carry the peanunt butter, cheeses, breads and crackers.

Ramble~On
12-04-2007, 06:45
Mutilated Rat Entrails.
Well, that's what we used to call em'.
Yeah there are some newer, tasty MRE's and if they float your boat then have at it. For the average Joe....you can do a lot better off the grocery store shelf for le$$ and save weight.

Tipi Walter
12-04-2007, 08:34
Asscrackastan?
Meal, Cold Weather?
"Eaten as you walked dry . . ."
Green rice balls?
Apricots? Who knew?

Man, I'm starting to get into this thread.

sixhusbands
12-04-2007, 09:23
The MRE's will get the job done if you want to carry the bricks. They are tasty (so is anything when you are hungry) and they do come in a wide variety. I just do not like the bulk! I tried Inertia brands foods this past summer and the Switchback pasta is very good. It is all up to you and your taste buds... I know a person that during his thru hike he ate the same thing every day, breakfast , lunch and dinner for a week at a time. Now that is dedication or cost affective!

oops56
12-04-2007, 09:49
Do you know that if you put a clothespin on your nose you can eat any thing you cant taste it that way.

johnny quest
12-04-2007, 14:21
we called them meals rejected by ethiopians back in my day. but im sure that aint pc these days.