PDA

View Full Version : bag inside of a BAG ???

2009ThruHiker
06-01-2007, 22:09
So, to save some money, but not weight, could you stuff a 50 degree bag inside of a 30 degree bag and get an overall 15-20 degree bag out of it? We are considering stuffing our Montbell super stretch bags together for the beginning of our AT thru until the cold weather passes. Answers ? Thoughts ? Opinions?:confused:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2007, 22:12
Unless one bag is substantially bigger than the other, the insulation gets compressed and you lose loft - which means you lose the extra insulation value.

Heater
06-01-2007, 23:02
So, to save some money, but not weight, could you stuff a 50 degree bag inside of a 30 degree bag and get an overall 15-20 degree bag out of it? We are considering stuffing our Montbell super stretch bags together for the beginning of our AT thru until the cold weather passes. Answers ? Thoughts ? Opinions?:confused:

Zero was doing that at the beginning of his hike. He started in Feb. I think.

It's in the first few pages of his trail journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165421

Toolshed
06-02-2007, 08:56
Depends how big you are - As F'ing Dino states, Compression of loft could make 2 bags together not that much warmer than one bag.
However, it you are small and your bad is monstrous around you, that loft could expand inward (somewhat) on the innerbag and not compress the outer.
If you are like me and look like a sausage in your bag, fuhgetttabutit!!!!!!:D

P.S. I have a MB #2 super Stretch and am fanatical about it. Best bag I have ever owned - And I don't say that lighty... for compariosn, I still have my 1983 EMS Robson Long -25 Down bag as well as about 8 other down bags ranging from -25 to 40.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2007, 09:26
Zero was doing that at the beginning of his hike. He started in Feb. I think.

It's in the first few pages of his trail journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165421He was useing a REI rectangular bag (big) with a Marmot inside (small) so it probably worked pretty well. If I were going to use two sleeping options - together in cold waeather, alone in warm - I'd go with a bag and a quilt like the JacksRBetter No Shivler. I'd use both until the really cold weather was history, use the bag during the transition and then switch to the quilt for hot weather (much more variable for differing temps than a bag. If you absoloutely want two bags, the rectangular bag plus a mummy bag would work provided you aren't a really large person.

Programbo
06-02-2007, 09:45
Actually bag systems were common once upon a time and almost every major manufacturer had their own systems and liners..Some were bags in bags so you could as the original poster asked have 50 degree, 20 degree and a -10 degree bag using the outer and inner bags seperately or together..Some like Moonstone simply had additional top-layer type inserts that tied inside the first bag...A lot of companies make over-sized or fuller cut mummies for people who don`t like a traditional mummy and these make ideal outer bags for a 2 bag system.....Just as a brief side history the US Army sleeping bags back when they where cloth covered and feather filled came as "Intermediate, Mountain and Arctic" models....But the "Arctic" one was the least warm of the three!..It was simply an oversized version of the other bags which was designed so that either the Mountain or Intermediate bags could be put inside of it to make a multilayered extreme cold weather bag system....Once the Army switched to synthetic filled bags this system was done away with and they had an "Extreme Cold" bag which was rated to -30 degrees

Grinder
06-02-2007, 11:22
Hammock forums has an article on the subject

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=297

I carried a Sportsman Guide 50 degree light weight bag and a poncho liner on my recent hike. Temps to mid 40's with no problems.

Tom

littlelaurel59
06-02-2007, 16:45
He was useing a REI rectangular bag (big) with a Marmot inside (small) so it probably worked pretty well. If I were going to use two sleeping options - together in cold waeather, alone in warm - I'd go with a bag and a quilt like the JacksRBetter No Shivler. I'd use both until the really cold weather was history, use the bag during the transition and then switch to the quilt for hot weather (much more variable for differing temps than a bag. If you absoloutely want two bags, the rectangular bag plus a mummy bag would work provided you aren't a really large person.

The bag + quilt combo works great. I have used a Kelty LIght Year 30* bag with a Ray Way quilt and stayed very warm on some cold and windy nights. The bag gets used solo in the Spring and Fall, and the quilt alone in summer. I just couldn't justify shelling out the $$$$$ for a true winter bag.

stumpy
06-02-2007, 18:12
I have the sportsman guide bag, and I really like it. It is very lightweight. I am thinking about putting a small hole in the foot and at the head, so I can put my new hammock throught it. That way I can zip it up, be inside the hammock and not compress the lower part of the bag. May not work, but it is just an idea.

budforester
06-02-2007, 23:00
It has worked for me horse- packing, a mummy bag inside a rectangular; and 3- inch thick foam mattresses helped. A poncho liner spread over my sleeping bag has helped a few times, too; for double occupancy, spread it crosswise to sonserve and also share some warmth.

LIhikers
06-04-2007, 15:46
If I remember right Big Agnes has a line of "overbags"

Johnny Thunder
06-04-2007, 16:37
When I was last at Campmor they had a 40 degree marmot bag made of primaloft which doesn't have the same loft height as down. This would be a great "inner bag" as compression doesn't lead to as much loss. Cheap too: $79 (ish). If someone knows what this one was please post it.

Johnny

smokymtnsteve
06-04-2007, 16:44
mite try a fleece "slumber bag" as a liner,,,no compression issue

hammock engineer
06-04-2007, 16:44
If you do not mind a little sewing, you can turn a cheap synethic sleeping bag into a quilt really easily. Just size it to work inside or outside of your normal bag.

scope
06-04-2007, 16:55
Typically, lower temp rated bags are cut so they are more snug, so use the summer bag outside the other. The additional barrier of the outside bag more than makes up for loss of loft, unless the inner bag is getting compressed to the point of no loft, which can happen if the outside bag is a bit too snug.

saimyoji
06-05-2007, 20:06
When I was last at Campmor they had a 40 degree marmot bag made of primaloft which doesn't have the same loft height as down. This would be a great "inner bag" as compression doesn't lead to as much loss. Cheap too: $79 (ish). If someone knows what this one was please post it.

Johnny

Could this be what you mean?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38868965&memberId=12500226

Johnny Thunder
06-06-2007, 08:31
Could this be what you mean?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38868965&memberId=12500226

Actually, I did some Googling and found it to be called "The Pounder". See:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174343&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

saimyoji
06-06-2007, 10:56
Actually, I did some Googling and found it to be called "The Pounder". See:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39174343&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Good. Note that that bag costs twice what you mentioned.

Johnny

Johnny Thunder
06-06-2007, 11:28
Good. Note that that bag costs twice what you mentioned.

I was in the store when I saw it and it was $79...note that in-store the colors were different than the website which may mean it was last year's model and discounted. I didn't even look at the price when posting the link because I was illustrating and example. Guess I should watch it.

Revolutionist_Rob
06-09-2007, 17:23
I think it really varies from person to person on if this will work or not, and just what 2 bags you are using.. last summer for a week when it got cold (little below 30) in the end of august in the ADK I used a 2 bag solution in my HennessyHammock. I had my montbell down hugger #5 on the inside of my 20 degree synthetic slumberjack cheapo bag. The slumberjack alone wasnt enough to keep me warm due to the hammock without insulation, but with the mont bell acting as a liner I was nice and toasty. So I know it can work in situations. I'm not exactly a small guy either, but i think with the mont bell stretching in on me on the inside and the slumberjack wasnt it made the difference for creating loft, plus the extra padding underneath for the hammock presented more of a buffer between me and the wind. I'd do it again if it was cold out, but I think im going to try other options this summer-- such as the mont bell with a fleece blanket underneath me that i can pull over top or something, i dont know.... but 2 sleeping bags works!

WalkinHome
06-11-2007, 14:47
Worked for me, Reddington, Maine, February, -32 in a parachute tepee with the Navy SERE bunch. One extreme cold weather down mummy in another. Had to keep my socks on though. LOL

robert granrath
07-28-2007, 20:01
I made an outer bag out of Tyvek. It works. Very very light and holds the body heat like you would not believe

Dirtygaiters
07-31-2007, 21:56
Using a bag inside of a bag works. I've done it with a MH Trekker outer bag when my REI Kilo Plus (a POS "0 degree" bag) chilled me in 35 degree weather. Whether or not you can get full combined loft--that is, if you have bags with 4" and 6" of loft respectively, would you get 10" with the system--is probably not going to happen with most bag combinations. However, I'm starting to understand why Western Mountaineering makes most of their warmer bags so damn roomy. For instance the Badger (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=34) or the enormous Sequioa (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=39) have more than enough room on the inside for a good sized bag in its own right. If you're thinking about using a bag with 59-62" shoulder girth inside one of those, I wouldn't doubt for a second that you would get full combined loft out of the system. As long as your outer bag does indeed have a larger shoulder girth than the inside bag, and as long as you aren't too cramped inside your inner bag, the two-bag winter system is a very feasible option, IMO.

Heater
08-01-2007, 02:28
Using a bag inside of a bag works. I've done it with a MH Trekker outer bag when my REI Kilo Plus (a POS "0 degree" bag) chilled me in 35 degree weather. Whether or not you can get full combined loft--that is, if you have bags with 4" and 6" of loft respectively, would you get 10" with the system--is probably not going to happen with most bag combinations. However, I'm starting to understand why Western Mountaineering makes most of their warmer bags so damn roomy. For instance the Badger (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=34) or the enormous Sequioa (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=39) have more than enough room on the inside for a good sized bag in its own right. If you're thinking about using a bag with 59-62" shoulder girth inside one of those, I wouldn't doubt for a second that you would get full combined loft out of the system. As long as your outer bag does indeed have a larger shoulder girth than the inside bag, and as long as you aren't too cramped inside your inner bag, the two-bag winter system is a very feasible option, IMO.

I was thinking of using a Montbell #7 Super stretch 50 degree bag inside my WM Sycamore. (Semi-rectangular 25 deg bag)

I wonder what that would bring the rating down to? :-?

Heater
08-01-2007, 03:07
I was thinking of using a Montbell #7 Super stretch 50 degree bag inside my WM Sycamore. (Semi-rectangular 25 deg bag)

I wonder what that would bring the rating down to? :-?

I am thinking the two together would be equal to about 7" loft. (they don't specify loft on the Montbell so I figure 50 degrees is about 2 " loft)

I think that would be a zero to five degree rating for 3lbs 1 oz. total. Not bad for weight and super versatile. A 25 degree bag that opens flat for warmer temps and a 50 degree Summer bag. I hope I am figuring this all correctly. :-?