PDA

View Full Version : My Thru Hike Gear List

austinlowes17
06-01-2007, 22:18
First of all, let me apologize for the all caps. I cut & pasted this from a file I saved, and didn't intend to post it. Anyways I'm planning an 08 thru hike and this is my gearlist. I'm hoping you guys could give me some weight saving ideas. I was also wondering if the clothing i'm packing is going to be adequate, I want to leave Mid March - Early April.

OSPREY ATMOS 65 -3LB. 13 OZ.
PACK COVER - 4 OZ.
MARMOT HELIUM 15 DEGREE S.B.- 1LB. 13OZ.
BIG AGNES SEEDHOUSE SL1 -3LB.
THERM-A-REST Z LITE - 15 OZ.
2 BOTTLES OF 100% DEET -5 OZ.
AQUA MIRA - 2 OZ.
VARGO TRIAD ALCOHOL STOVE - 1 OZ.
20 OUNCE POP BOTTLE FOR ALCOHOL -1 OZ.
EVERNEW NONSTICK TITANIUM 1.3 L. POT - 6 OZ.
POT SCRUBBER - 0.25 OZ.
FLATWORLD ORIKASO PLATE - 1.5 OZ.
PLATYPUS 2 LITER WATER BOTTLE - 1.2 OZ.
2 POWERADE BOTTLES FOR WATER - 1.5 OZ.
PETZL HEADLAMP -3OZ.
FIRST AID & EPI PEN / INHALERS -6 OZ.
CAMPSUDS ALL PURPOSE SOAP -2 OZ.
TOOTHPASTE / TOOTHBRUSH - 3 OZ.
2 “CHARMIN TO GO T.P.” - 3 OZ.
MSR LARGE PACK TOWEL -2.2 OZ.
MSR PERSONAL FACE TOWEL (WASHCLOTH) - 0.5 OZ.
2 BANDANAS - 0.25 OZ.
LEATHERMAN MICRA - 1.75 OZ.
LEKI TREKKING POLES - 17 OZ.
GEAR REPAIR KIT - 1 OZ.
NOTEBOOK & PENCIL (JOURNAL) - 2.5 OZ.
SMALL MP3 PLAYER - 1.5 OZ.
EXRA BATTERIES - 4 OZ.

CLOTHING
NORTH FACE DENALI JACKER - 26 OZ.
LIGHT HIKING “TIGHTS” - 10 OZ.
FLEECE BALACLAVAS - 3 OZ.
LIGHT FLEECE GLOVES - 3 OZ.
BASEBALL CAP -3 OZ.
LIGHTWEIGHT CAPILENE TOP & BOTTOM
MARMOT PRECIP JACKET - 13 OZ.
MARMOT PRECIP PANTS -9 OZ.
REI SAHARA CONVERTIBLE PANTS -???
POLYSTER SHORT SLEEVE T-SHIRT -???

Without food or water the pack weighs around 20 pounds (not all my gear is going in the pack; trekking poles, pants, etc)

Is that weight pretty average or do I need to work on it???

bigcranky
06-01-2007, 23:33
Austin,

This list looks pretty good. You won't need any DEET at all in March in Georgia, let alone 2 bottles. You likely won't need the plate, either -- just eat from your pot.

The TNF Denali jacket is their 300-wt fleece, right? You might find that jacket bulky and heavy for the warmth you get. You might look at something like a Patagonia Micropuff jacket, a Golite Cumulus down jacket, that sort of thing. They'll be half the weight, more compressible, and warmer.

Don't forget stuff sacks and ziploc bags to keep your gear dry and organized. They add some weight, so don't go too wild.

20 pounds dry weight is pretty darn good for a March thru-hike start.

Stonewall
06-01-2007, 23:58
any onve know if the Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket (http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_alpine_light_down_jacket.html)is a good jacket?

hopefulhiker
06-02-2007, 08:22
I think that the weights listed on for the small stuff are a little on the light side.. Have you weighed the whole pack with all that stuff in there?

Condor
06-02-2007, 08:54
Looks Good!
I'd ditch:
the pack towels
Pot scrubber. Stinky bacteria slime yuck:(
one bandana
the plate
the deet
camp suds-Get some travel size hand sanitizer less enviro impact and doubles as fire starter
the precip pants(I only used my waterproof pants for mosquto protection in the north, however you may feel like these are essential)

I agree with cranky If you got the $ a light primoloft/down layer is nice, however on my hike I used 300 weight fleece and it worked just fine after my hike I got a WM flight jacket. It rocks!. I'd also get,(some may disagree) a expedition wieght zip tee to layer over the long underware or all by itself. this was the layer I used the most. in summer I sent the heavy wieght fleece home and used this.

you'll love the helium!!!

have a good trip!

mountain squid
06-02-2007, 10:19
Not a bad list. In addition to what has been mentioned already:

camp footwear
eating utensil
lighter/matches
food stuff sack (sil-nylon will work)
50' nylon cord
water dipper
maps/Companion/Wingfoot
whistle
Camera
needle for draining blisters
sun screen
does your Leatherman have tweezers/scissors? (you will need them for tick pulling/nail clipping)
ear plugs (noisy sheltermates)
duct tape

Don't forget ID and atm/credit/phone cards and important phone #'s.

To lighten your load some (and if you have the money), you might consider a tent from Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/) or a Tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com/). You might also consider a back pack from ULA (http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm) or Granite Gear (http://www.granitegear.com/index.html). You will see lots of those tents and backpacks on the trail...

Anyway, see you on the trail,
mt squid

Moon Monster
06-02-2007, 16:22
Consider another piece of headware, like a Buff or thin fleece tube. And some thick socks for sleeping in. Expect a few nights as low as 10 degrees and if it never gets below 20 for you, then you'll still be happy.

You likely will not need any DEET until early May, and then certainly less than 2 bottles. Get a pump spray bottle for wide and efficient coverage and spray just the hotspots where biting things tend to land on you, and then a few ounces can last the whole trip. Or, buy the second bottle along the way.

But, if you have allergy concerns (I see you listed an Epi Pen), then ignore everything we say about the DEET--you're your own expert there.

You can also buy extra batteries along the way. Just carry a single spare for each of the mp3 player and headlamp. Can't tell what lamp you have, but there are good ones that run on 1-3 AAAs. And even the ones that take multiple batteries can get a boost to the next store by replacing just one battery.

The waterproof pants will be good if it snows or you have a cold snap into the teens, which is very possible.

20 lbs is a great start. Once the humid season breaks over you somewhere around mid-Virginia, you can shed clothing and get lighter until Glencliff, NH.

krazyvan
06-04-2007, 16:43
As others have said...ditch the pack towel and 1 bandanna. Same with the deet..not needed at least until April and then only 1 small bottle. You can lose the plate and eat from the pot. I would also personally use a smaller pot, either titanium or Beer can if only boiling water. I would also go with a homemade alky stove to shave a few ounces. A long sleeve poly shirt is a must...maybe ditch the short sleeve until the summer, you can always roll up the sleeves. Good luck !!!!!