PDA

View Full Version : Almost and will be a convert

Stonewall
06-01-2007, 23:21
I too am almost a full converter to hammocking. I would be a full convert, well and will be other than that I was given my Hennessy which was awesome the first two nights then the third night when it rained I didn't have it tight enough and the bottom got a little wet. which was no big issue but the hammock made everything smell of wet dog x2:-?. The hammock, thermarest, sleeping bag, and I think my clothes as well. So tomorrow I am tub washing it. and crossing my fingers that the smell goes away.

Other than that I slept great other than trying to figure out how to get the sleeping bag over me when laying on it. though it worked out well and and just sleeping top of it kept completely warm .:D

Cannibal
06-01-2007, 23:46
I get into the sleeping bag standing, then just scoot right in the hammock. Easy with an HH, but I find it awkward with a top loader.

Welcome to the darkside.

mweinstone
06-02-2007, 00:54
use some vi***** after soap for a final rince. a cup in a few gallons of water should deodorize what the dr bronners dosnt mask.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2007, 08:23
I'l second Matt's suggestion of v-i-n-e-g-a-r, but I rinse the items with a final clear water rinse. If you have a clothesline, hanging items out in the sun after washing also helps get rid of odors and any mold / mildew spores that might survive the wash. Do not hang a wet down bag on a clothes line as it will tear the baffles - dry it first and then hang it in the sun inside out.

hammock engineer
06-02-2007, 10:33
When I used a HH I would put the pad in, put the sleeping bag in but to one side, get in, and then put the sleeping bag over me like a quilt. The sleeping bag insulation underneath you is compressed and not doing much anyways.

Also most people get a bigger tarp, the stock hh leaves little room for error.

Enjoy and welcome to the trees.

Stonewall
06-02-2007, 16:05
thanks for the suggestions everyone I'm not yet goting to wash my bag I am hoping letting it flap i the breeze for a bit will get the smell out that the
hammock gave it. I'm soaking my hammock as we speak.. or as i type which ever. :)

FanaticFringer
06-02-2007, 16:24
Hang in there....it only gets better. We all have to go thru the learning curve. Think of yourself as a baby hammocker.:D
Definetely get yourself a bigger tarp. Like HE said, it leaves little room for error in bad weather. A bigger tarp also allows you more privacy to dress. A bigger space to cook under. When you carry your bigger tarp seperate from your hammock in your backpack, if it starts to rain, you will have access to a nice shelter from the rain. And if your at camp you can set-up your tarp first, then your hammock and everything will be dry. Another tip in rainy weather is to not set-up your hammock over a bare dirt ground. The rain could splash up and wet your hammock. Look for ground with pine straw, leaves, etc.

Happy hangin