PDA

View Full Version : Better than Ramen ever dreamed.

RockStar
06-02-2007, 15:53
So I all but, up chucked on myself at the first bite of Ramen on the trail. I like a few flavors a lot. For some reaason during and after hiking, I can NOT eat Ramen. So I looked in the asian food section at Wal Mart. usually near the canned veggies isle, for me. I sure can't make out a lot on the packaging but, it looked to be classy Ramen. lol

I grabbed the orangish foil pouch that looked to be spicy. And I also grabbed a Cup of spicy noodles, in another brand. I believe beef? Anyway, I tried them both last week and they were delicious! The orange had a spice pack and then a smaller pack of chilli powder and stuff. I added half the chilli powerd pouch. Was VERY spicy and VERY GOOD!

The Cup of Luxurious Ramen had pieces of Mushroom! Big chunks actually, for Ramen type meals. And they tasted like ****ake to me, which I LOVE. Also ahd carrot and peas, some chives in there. Was VERY GOOD and again very spicy with half the pack of pepper spices. The flavoring pouch was liquid. I dunno what difference it makes but, it was still good. I will be buying more of these little yummy meals today! They are more expensive than Ramen. I would rather pay a little more for quality! The noodles taste better. I just cant stand the Ramen noodle anymore. :o Try 'em!

ABN-Sapper
06-02-2007, 17:09
I think you are probably refering to a brand of Korean Ramaen called "Shin" (Spelling???).

I was first turned on to it when stationed in Korea. It is much more substanital than top ramaen, and the taste is 100 times better.

Personally, I only like the beef flavor. It comes with the spice pack that will knock your boots off. First time users should experiment with it before you add the whole packet.

I think there are only two flavors readily available here in the states, though you might find more. Most of the wording on the package is in Hangul (Korean) so you have to choose carefully. The beef flavor doesn't say "beef" on the package, but if you look at the picture on the package, it shows beef chunks (not really included). The seafood variety actually says "seafood flavor" in English on the package. To me the seafood flavor tastes like spoiled seaweed.

After eating Shin Ramaen, you will never be able to go back to Top Ramaen. I think the Shin Ramaen goes for about 75 cents per pack compared to less than 20 cents for Top Ramaen, but IMO the Shin Ramaen is worth every penny.

workboot
06-02-2007, 18:09
Nong Shim is a very delicious brand of Korean ramen , I love the spicy seafood flavor.........My significant other is Korean by the way and I love her as well :)

workboot
06-02-2007, 18:12
Aso the udon type noodle packs are much better than the ramen IMHO thats what the spicy seafood flavor I mentioned actually is....

aaroniguana
06-02-2007, 18:27
Nong Shim rocks! When we got sent up to a mountaintop on the DMZ we had to pack everything in. I took a case of MREs, a case of Nong Shim and three jars of cheese whiz. Everything I ate was noodle based and YUMMY!

(BTW, in Korean, it's pronounced `Rahm-yuhn)

In Japan they make a bowl ramen with tempura in it. Battered and fried onions and carrots that stay crisp AFTER sitting in boiling water for 5 minutes. Must be some kind of edible plastic...

RockStar
06-02-2007, 18:52
The cup of noodles was Beef flavored Shin. Im not sure about the packaged but, I saw a little shrip on the picture, it looked to be seafood flavor. It was very good! Both spicy! I know from experience NOT to use the whole packet! ;p I remember a friend who is vietnamese buying some noodles in an orange foil pack. He couldnt even read it b/c it was in Korean, It was spicy orange flavored though. Those are my FAVORITE. He got them at an asian food store. I am always on the look out for those!

aaroniguana
06-02-2007, 21:25
Will look for that when I go to Lotte World this week. I read Korean.

Long feet
06-04-2007, 08:54
Does anyone know if these have MSG in them? I am always looking for good ramen without MSG as I have an alergy. I make my own noodle soup at home, but want somthing easy to make on the trail. MSG? Thanks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2007, 09:02
Go to an Oriental food market. You can get many varieties of ramen and other noodles with spice packs - many without MSG.

Tim Rich
06-04-2007, 09:03
Rockstar, what is the nutritional comparison between your style and traditional ramen? Is it better in that respect as well?

rafe
06-04-2007, 09:08
Go to an Oriental food market. You can get many varieties of ramen and other noodles with spice packs - many without MSG.

And where do find those in trail towns? :rolleyes: Mostly you're lucky to find a gas station mini-mart.

RockStar
06-04-2007, 14:11
Does anyone know if these have MSG in them? I am always looking for good ramen without MSG as I have an alergy. I make my own noodle soup at home, but want somthing easy to make on the trail. MSG? Thanks.

Yes they both have MSG, sucks but what can I do. lol

Rockstar, what is the nutritional comparison between your style and traditional ramen? Is it better in that respect as well?
I have a pack of Chicken Ramen Maruchan brand(wal mart)
190 cal. per serv. 2 serv's in pack. Mine have 1 serv per pack and 280 cal per serv.

Chicken Ramen total Fat 7g Mine: 12g
sat fat 3.5 g Mine:7g
Cholesterol 0 Mine:0
Sodium 790mg Mine:1280mg
Total Carb P.Ser. 26g Mine:36g
Fiber 1g Mine:3g
Sugars less than 1g Mine:3g
Protein 5g Mine:7g
Iron 8% Mine:4%
Calories from fat 70 Mine:100

Does that help? That is for the small foil packet with a shrimp on the corner.
Here is the Shim Ramyun brand in the red/black package/cup(they come in either, the cup has 1 serv. the pack has 2 serv. Also has MSG.

Calories 240 (per serv.)
Cal. from fat 70
Total Fat 8g
sat. fat 4
trans 0
Cholesterol 0
Sodium 1050mg
Total Carbs 38g
Fiber 1g
Sugars less than 1g
Protein 5g
Iron2%

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2007, 14:13
And where do find those in trail towns? :rolleyes: Mostly you're lucky to find a gas station mini-mart.I was thinking that a person allergic to MSG would likely be using mailed resupplies rather than re-supplying along the way as his selection would be very limited.

aaroniguana
06-04-2007, 17:00
You can always experiment with your own flavor packs. Some MSG-free boullion, chopped and dehydrated veggies, a shot of olive oil, some chinese 5 spice, a pinch of cumin...

Like everything, half the fun is getting there.

katagious
06-04-2007, 17:10
Mmm ramen noodles with peanut butter....soy sauce...and ginger root... :")

Fiddleback
06-11-2007, 20:19
I've always been nonplussed by comments about noodles. To me, wheat noodles are just...wheat noodles, whether they be spagetti, Ramen, or some other style or brand. Some are fried and some aren't but I find little difference so I approached the Nong Shim Bowl Noodle soups with a little skepticism. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's all in the flavor packet. Well, duh! Tonight I had the Spicy Chicken and the Hot & Spicy flavors. Both were spicy but not terribly so. But I say that with a three-decade Texas residency, a couple years in the Far East, and a family that delighted in out-doing each other with newly discoverd hot sauces in my background. I found both flavors to be reminiscent of similar packages of Japanese origin. Must be the wierd sea-beasties.

Although I lived in Korea for a while I never ate the Nong Shim stuff. But then, these tried tonight, bought at WalMart, aren't Korean...they were made in the U.S.. Nong Shim has a large plant at Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Still, I imagine these soups are pretty close to what's available in Korea. That's the way the world is...of my Ford, Plymouth and Honda, only the Honda is American-made.

I frequently eat Maruchan Ramen noodle soup, both at home and on the trail. Often I don't use the flavor packet and use the Ramen as a filler or as a fast reconstituting 'spagetti.' But when considering the flavor packets, I think the Nong Shim has the better taste. I normally pay 13-20¢ for Ramen and I bought the Nong Shim for 82¢. Is the Nong Shim worth four to six times the cost of Ramen? Probably not. Is it worth 60¢ more? Probably. It all depends how you look at it...if you look at it at all.

Nong Shim will probably become a frequent menu item at home. But for the trail, especially FBC, I'll probably stick with the Ramen. No wierd sea-beasties.;)

FB