PDA

View Full Version : the AT Telephone game....

Miss Janet
06-02-2007, 17:49
You all know how it is played... you whisper a phrase or sentence to the person on your left and then they repeat it to the next person and so on. The fun part of the game is to hear the last person say the phrase out loud. Rarely is it even close to the first phrase and it is usually just a confusing mishmash of nonsense that makes everyone laugh!

The AT version isn't always so funny... but it is almost always just as inaccurate. So, before this newest game of AT Telephone gets any farther from the truth... let me make an official announcement.

Miss Janet's House will be closing up in a few weeks.

Some recent rumours have had me bankrupt, gravely ill, and getting married. None of these things are true. It is simply the right time to make some major life changes. My youngest daughter graduated this week and will turn 18 in a few weeks. Legal childsupport obligations for her father are now over and this house was a large part of that arrangement for the past 7 years. Now her father is losing his position of over 28 years. The Snap On Tools plant where he has spent his career, is closing down.

MISS JANET"S HOUSE has outgrown this building and neighborhood and I can not justify trying to continue the business at this address. We agreed to sell the home and divide any equity as soon as possible. (Ever want to live in a nice old home in a small town like Erwin??) Only the home is for sale... not the business!

These circumstances give me the best opportunity to research options and search out the perfect property to build the ideal year round outdoor adventure business. The plans will include a homestyle hostel with several unique lodging options, full shuttle services, backpacking workshops, hiking retreats, and much more! I have been looking at local property and talking to a few people about some possible options. I will be accepting ideas and comments at from friends at [email protected]. Wish me the best.

Now, feel free to pass it on to the person on your left...

Skidsteer
06-02-2007, 18:07
Best wishes for your new endeavor. Seems like the old adage holds true once again:

The only thing consistent in life is change. :)

mountain squid
06-02-2007, 18:21
Ditto:)...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

quicktoez
06-02-2007, 18:26
Good luck in your future endeavors and thanks for all you did for all the thru hikes especially the class of 07. You were very kind to me personally and I’ll never forget it.
Love ya Quicktoez

Lugnut
06-02-2007, 18:30
Since this isn't April first, and assuming you didn't forget to log out and let Jack use your computer, this must be true! If so, and if you would consider moving to near Atkins, then Warren Doyle has a deal for you. Your place will certainly be missed! Best of luck. If you get a new place I'm sure we could all come up with a work detail to help you fix up it up. I'm available.

Yahtzee
06-02-2007, 18:31
Blessings on whatever you do, Miss Thang. New place? New reason to hike again.

Lilred
06-02-2007, 18:38
Miss Janet, you know I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you continue the business and find the perfect location, if that's your choice. I second the suggestion of Warren's place, looks ideal. You know the AT community will support you in whatever you go for, so go for it girl!!!

Gray Blazer
06-02-2007, 18:53
Sounds exciting. Good luck!

Egads
06-02-2007, 19:28
Miss Janet,

The AT community wishes you the BEST in your new endeavors. :D

Egads

Doctari
06-02-2007, 19:57
AAARRGG, there is NO ONE TO MY LEFT!! Who do I tell?!?!?! :eek:

I hate this game! :rolleyes:

You will be missed. If I had the $cratch, , , , ,

Thanks for the 7 years tho (yea, I hate the bannana too, but sometimes it fits) :banana

superman
06-02-2007, 21:21
So what happens to the life time warranty on my snap on tools?

Frosty
06-03-2007, 00:38
Wow. I'm glad I had the opportunity to stay at your place.

The very very best of luck to you!

RedneckRye
06-03-2007, 03:25
Janet...
You have no idea how hard it has been to keep my mouth shut. I'm glad you finally opened yours. Halleluja and enjoy the freedom.
I have had so much fun at your place since the day you opened (or maybe a few days after you opened when me and Tricks and a guy named Jack stopped by), hiking in , hanging out, running shuttles, helping with breakfast, giving new arrived hikers the run down and the "rules", helping with Thanksgiving, scrubbing the tub, and even being lazy on the couch and doing nothing all day.
Keep us posted, have fun watching the ruckus your announcement starts, and if you ask, I'm sure you will have more than a bit of help with your next adventure.
RYE

mudhead
06-03-2007, 04:10
Congrats to the new graduate. Be well.

1Pint
06-03-2007, 10:30
If you get a new place I'm sure we could all come up with a work detail to help you fix up it up. I'm available.

Great idea Lugnut. Ditto for me. I'd be happy to donate some time painting, cleaning, whatever.

Best wishes!
Laura/1Pint

Chache
06-03-2007, 13:17
So what happens to the life time warranty on my snap on tools?
Try to stay focused:D Did you hear Miss Janets having a baby and moving to Hollywood?

Cedar Tree
06-03-2007, 13:30
Hey Miss Janet, why don't you buy Warren's house, sounds perfect for you.
CT

Rainman
06-03-2007, 13:39
Try to stay focused:D Did you hear Miss Janet's having a baby and moving to Hollywood?

Ya. I have it on very good authority that Paul Newman said he'd reconsider "A Walk In The Woods" if Miss Janet agreed to be in the movie. Way to go Miss Janet! You saved the film for Newman fans! (P.S., Robert Redford is very disappointed. He just bought a house in Erwin so he could be near Miss Janet).

superman
06-03-2007, 13:45
Try to stay focused:D Did you hear Miss Janets having a baby and moving to Hollywood?

I apologize. :datz

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-03-2007, 14:16

I apologize. :datzDon't make me go to photoshop.

Miss Janet, wishing you the best in this move. Let us know if there is anything th dinos can do to help.

Frosty
06-03-2007, 14:19
Don't make me go to photoshop.

Miss Janet, wishing you the best in this move. Let us know if there is anything th dinos can do to help.I didn't know Miss Janet was directing "A Walk in the Woods!" :eek:

Brushy Sage
06-03-2007, 19:04
Janet, what can I say? Thank you. Best wishes. Blessings. See you later!

Brushy Sage (Jack Thomas)

Marla in the Mts
06-03-2007, 20:56
Miss Janet, good luck in the movie! Stay focused and enjoy the graduation at Snap On Tools. Change is good and exciting.

Thank you for helping hikers.

Trillium
06-04-2007, 00:57
Miss Janet,

I haven't had the pleasure of making your acquaintance yet but I hope to in the future. I would certainly be willing to come down and help out with working on sprucing up a new place. Will be saying a prayer that you locate a place that will be just right for you!

~ trillium ~

Alligator
06-04-2007, 08:15
Miss Janet,

Thanks for all you do. Good luck with directing the movie. Will you be changing the title to The Craftsman since you have lost your Snap On sponsorship? The tale of a graduating mechanic walking the AT has strong appeal.

Blister
06-04-2007, 12:23
I heard she was having an affair with a southbounder. Once he gets to Georgia, he's gonna flip flop and take Miss Janet back to the White Mountains where she is gonna teach the northener's real southern hospitality.
and then...
and then....
I remember once at band camp.....

:dance :dance :dance

Seriously though, Janet if you ever create such a wonderful outdoor adventure business and can afford to have an employee, where can I submit my resume????

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2007, 13:48
So many photoshop opportunities, so little time.

Heater
06-04-2007, 14:03
I heard she was having an affair with a southbounder. Once he gets to Georgia, he's gonna flip flop and take Miss Janet back to the White Mountains where she is gonna teach the northener's real southern hospitality.
and then...
and then....
I remember once at band camp.....

:dance :dance :dance

I didn't know you were a musician!

Music is FUN !
:banana

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/James/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/James/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/James/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg

TOW
06-04-2007, 14:09
I wish you the best Janet. I'll never forget first meeting you in '01 when you were just dreaming of having a "Miss Janets." Now that this has been a reality, it is only up to you to proceed further in this endeavour if that is your soul desire...............

TDale
06-04-2007, 14:18
Miss Janet's was closed by the Feds for a "wardrobe malfunction"?

Best of Luck!

Lone Wolf
06-04-2007, 14:38
[email protected][/email]. Wish me the best.

charge set fees and don't allow any work-for-stay. no hikers should need money as early as erwin.

peanuts
06-04-2007, 15:00
missjanet, it has been a pleasure in experiencing your establishment. always had a wonderful time. wish you luck in your new chapter in life:((insert tears here)and yes, i do hope you will find the perfect place in erwin:)

saimyoji
06-04-2007, 15:42
charge set fees and don't allow any work-for-stay. no hikers should need money as early as erwin.

Even SOBOs?

MOWGLI
06-04-2007, 15:45
Best of luck Miss Janet. Doesn't 2000 seem like yesterday? Well, maybe not. :sun

Lone Wolf
06-04-2007, 15:46
Even SOBOs?

yup. EVERYBODY pays. i have 0 pity for broke hikers. funny how hikers claim to be broke when they get to a town/hostel but they ALWAYS have $$ for beer, pot, cigarettes and restaurant meals.

Yahtzee
06-04-2007, 16:00
"i have 0 pity for broke hikers" Spoken like a true tru****nder. There are many reasons hikers may not have cash on hand and it may have nothing to do with them being sponges. No one carries all the cash they are going to need from Springer to K. Sometimes misjudgments are made about how much you need to carry from one ATM to another, or mail w/cash or bonds hasn't arrived (happened to me) or a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with them being moochers. Moochers get known, they get alternate trailnames -- Doc Everlast becomes Doc Everask, etc. and they suffer for the classlessness. But not everything is black/white. Unless of course you can afford it and don't care about anyone but yourself.

Chache
06-04-2007, 17:19
"i have 0 pity for broke hikers" Spoken like a true tru****nder. There are many reasons hikers may not have cash on hand and it may have nothing to do with them being sponges. No one carries all the cash they are going to need from Springer to K. Sometimes misjudgments are made about how much you need to carry from one ATM to another, or mail w/cash or bonds hasn't arrived (happened to me) or a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with them being moochers. Moochers get known, they get alternate trailnames -- Doc Everlast becomes Doc Everask, etc. and they suffer for the classlessness. But not everything is black/white. Unless of course you can afford it and don't care about anyone but yourself.
Take it outside you two. This is not the thread for that subject

Lone Wolf
06-04-2007, 17:20
mind your own ps and qs

Heater
06-04-2007, 17:53
mind your own ps and qs

All P's and Q's accounted or SIR.

(Well, except for that one on the corner and I think he was wearing a dress at traildays.) :-?

Ron Haven
06-04-2007, 20:36
You all know how it is played... you whisper a phrase or sentence to the person on your left and then they repeat it to the next person and so on. The fun part of the game is to hear the last person say the phrase out loud. Rarely is it even close to the first phrase and it is usually just a confusing mishmash of nonsense that makes everyone laugh!

The AT version isn't always so funny... but it is almost always just as inaccurate. So, before this newest game of AT Telephone gets any farther from the truth... let me make an official announcement.

Miss Janet's House will be closing up in a few weeks.

Some recent rumours have had me bankrupt, gravely ill, and getting married. None of these things are true. It is simply the right time to make some major life changes. My youngest daughter graduated this week and will turn 18 in a few weeks. Legal childsupport obligations for her father are now over and this house was a large part of that arrangement for the past 7 years. Now her father is losing his position of over 28 years. The Snap On Tools plant where he has spent his career, is closing down.

MISS JANET"S HOUSE has outgrown this building and neighborhood and I can not justify trying to continue the business at this address. We agreed to sell the home and divide any equity as soon as possible. (Ever want to live in a nice old home in a small town like Erwin??) Only the home is for sale... not the business!

These circumstances give me the best opportunity to research options and search out the perfect property to build the ideal year round outdoor adventure business. The plans will include a homestyle hostel with several unique lodging options, full shuttle services, backpacking workshops, hiking retreats, and much more! I have been looking at local property and talking to a few people about some possible options. I will be accepting ideas and comments at from friends at [email protected]. Wish me the best.

Now, feel free to pass it on to the person on your left...Everyone is behind you.Good luck;)

Bare Bear
06-04-2007, 22:54
Hey Ms Janet, let me know if you need some work help. I've got a diesel pick up that will tow 13,000 pounds, a weak mind and strong back for moving crap. I am sure I am one of thousands of hikers that owe you more of your knidness than we can ever re-pay. You have my phone number. I am in Florida but can help out anytime after June...................

Rain Man
06-05-2007, 10:32
Everyone is behind you.Good luck;)

Miss Janet, as you know, even my mother is behind you!!! ~wink~

Rain:sunMan

Blister
06-07-2007, 17:59
yup. EVERYBODY pays. i have 0 pity for broke hikers. funny how hikers claim to be broke when they get to a town/hostel but they ALWAYS have $$ for beer, pot, cigarettes and restaurant meals.

Hey Bookworms said that exact same thing to me in 2000, remember thAT SOAP OPERA?

Jester2000
06-07-2007, 20:00
So I heard that Fabian got a hiker knocked up, and there was a Snap On something or other involved, a movie was made, oh, and then there was a lawsuit involving a pregnant pomeranian who hadn't signed a waiver.

Anyway, in the end Miss Janet had to sell her daughter because of her legal fees and is now operating a yo-yo shop in New England.

Jim Adams
07-18-2007, 11:17
Now let me get this straight! Katelyn is running off with the Craftsman guy who just graduated from puppy grooming school and needs counciling because he thinks that he is pregnant and all this commotion has caused Miss Janet to give her house to Warren Doyle and run off to the White Mountains to marry a guy that left band camp to play music and tour with a band called HOSTEL but left the band to be a member of one of the hut croos?

Jeez, I though my life was confusing at times!

geek

Jim Adams
07-18-2007, 11:18
and what's this movie about a yo-yo?

Miss Janet
07-26-2007, 16:17
No, the movie is about my record setting EeBo WeBo YoYoYoYoYoYoYo.....

I think the food "tie ins" to the movie will pay for the new place...

Miss Janet's Banana Walnut flavored PopTarts
or Miss Janet's Gravy and Biscuits in the new foil pouch...
Baltimore Jacks famous dried Lazagna... just rehydrate... all proceeds to support the new Baltimore Jacks Kitchen at Miss Janet's Yurt Village!

It's going to be a big one!

StarLyte
07-26-2007, 16:46
Doesn't matter what Jack cooks, he cooks. Keep him there.

Rainman
07-27-2007, 07:38
No, the movie is about my record setting EeBo WeBo YoYoYoYoYoYoYo.....

Andy Skurka eat your heart out!

I can't wait to read the book. Miss Janet's C2C, C2C, C2C, C2C . . . hike.

Jaybird
07-27-2007, 07:53
Miss Janet:

THANK YOU for your service to all us hikers!

i wish you the BEST of luck in your "NEW Life adventures" where ever they may be...& i'll see U in a few years...as i prep for a Nobo THRU-hike.:D

Many Moons
05-11-2016, 21:36
Lots of fun on Whiteblaze way before I joined! Having a shot of Jim For BJ. Met him several times on my section hikes! These hikers I have met along the southern trails live up to their legend status! LW, BP, Lumpy, JKD, BJ and many more that I have met on the trail as I slowly work north. Hiker On!!!

Miller!!!

gracebowen
05-17-2016, 22:28
I havent met you yet either. I was planning on staying at your house when I attempt my thru hike in a few years. Hope to see you at your new place.

George
05-17-2016, 23:59
I havent met you yet either. I was planning on staying at your house when I attempt my thru hike in a few years. Hope to see you at your new place.

you kinda missed that it is a nine year old thread