PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather hike in .....

Former Admin
09-27-2002, 03:32
I'd rather hike in .....

Kerosene
09-27-2002, 09:47
This is almost like the childhood game of "would you rather have [some unmentionable disease] or do [some unthinkable act]". Even so, it's easier to keep warm than it is to try to stay cool and hydrated.

EarlyRiser
09-27-2002, 17:27
i dont know what about it but i really do like hiking on cold rainy (maybe not pouring but kinda foggy and drisly) days i think the forest looks beautiful misted in fog but thats me, and i dont mind being cold either cause i can always put on a layer or somthing and im hiking anyway so i should be warm enough.

Peaks
10-02-2002, 08:12
Like they say, a crappy day on the trail beats a good day at work everytime.

Hammock Hanger
10-17-2002, 21:52
I was really on the fence about this one. I love the clear blue skies and views seen from a summit. However, hiking in 80% weather can be a killer.

Just hiked on a very cold rainy day w/o a view, but had a blast.

Conclusion: I'm still on the fence!:(

Hammock hanger

wacocelt
10-20-2002, 21:32
Hiking in cooler weather is more comfortable, but more dangerous for me, since when it's cooler I sweat less (noticeabley)<sp> and hike more miles. Thus I am less inclined to drink as much water as needed and form horrendously painful and debilitating kidney stones... wah wah, stupid me. Therefor, I prefer to hike in hot weather in which I happily stop at every flowing stream and drink a quart and fill a quart before continuing on.
I got some great advice while hiking in 2000, "Never cross water while carrying water." This statement wil be my gospel this next Thru.

SGT Rock
10-21-2002, 11:55
Cool philosophy.

Kerosene
10-21-2002, 18:09
It is amazing, wacocelt, at how dehydrated you can get in cool hiking weather. I kept thinking that I was drinking as much water as I could and needed, but at the end of the day I would still notice that I was dehydrated. I'd even sip water through the night when thirsty, although this was a balancing act since I really didn't want to get out of my warm sleeping bag to empty my bladder more than once.

EarlyRiser
10-21-2002, 18:45
I try to drink as much as possible, and usualy keep some water with me over night and every time i wake up to take care of buisness i drink some more water. i dont much mind getting up in the middle of the night cause i think the woods are really cool at night. even if its cold its still a really cool feeling to know that your out in nature in the heart of things. and i always imagine what it was like for our ancestors out in the wilderness. so might as well get up and get somthin to drink and then i try to drink atleast a liter in the morning before leaving. i have also noticed that i dont drink as much when its cold, or atleast become more dehydrated.

Dee
11-13-2003, 22:44
I'll take the cold, wet, and rainy days over the three H's anyday.

Streamweaver
11-14-2003, 00:33
On the one hand, The cool wet weather makes my arthritis flare up big time these days(made worse by lyme)but it is also really good for my otherwise very bad sinuses!!

On the other hand,The Hot weather ,humid or dry is much easier on my bones but tears my sinuses up!!!

But Ive always been a cold weather person so the 40degree and rain wins hands down!!

Another thing that causes dehydration in the winter is the hot drinks myself and others drink to warm up that often has caffeine(sp) which acts as a diuretic causing us to become twice as dehydrated! Ive had many people act like I was certifiable because I was drinking ice cold water in the winter.But the only way I can keep going is to drink alot!!! Streamweaver

RagingHampster
11-16-2003, 15:58
I'll take the cold rain option.

One of the biggest things I crave while hiking is a cold drink, even in the winter. Eighty degree farenheit tang just doesn't cut it...

I second the satisfaction gained from great views after a nice stiff hike, but I also get satisfaction when I top-out on the mountain. When it's a bajillion degrees out and it's so humid you can't breathe, I often stop having fun and don't enjoy myself.

Jaybird
01-20-2004, 10:09
give me a soggy, cool day anytime while hiking!

my last 3 days (of our section hike: Standing Indian to Clingmans Dome) in 2003 was 80+ degrees....i about died!

my bald head got sun-burnt, & felt de-hydrated most of the time...couldnt get enuff water down me!

give me 40 or 50 degree days anytime!

&........i agree with PEAKS....anyday on the trail is a good day...no matter what the weather....hehehehehehe ;)

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

hungryhowie
01-20-2004, 10:41
Ok let me think about this:

40*F and raining or 85*, humid and sunny?

No brainer. 85*. 85* isn't hot. Ususally in the summer, up in them thar hills, when its 85 during the day its about 55-65 at night - a comfortable overnight temperature. I can wake up early with the sun, get to hiking in the comfortable morning hours, take a break at mid-day, and hike well into the evening. 85* isn't *hot*. I'd prefer 65-75, but 85 is perfectly acceptable. I'd rather go swimming in a pond than swim through icy rain all day. None of you who voted for the cold hiked in 2000, did you? 100 days of rain out of 175 for me. I've had my share of rain. While I don't mind the rain, given the choice...

-Howie

Moon Monster
01-20-2004, 22:56
I agree much with Howie.

85 isn't hot. I don't like humidity because the haze junks up the views, but rain and clouds totally blank out the overlooks. The heat doesn;t get to me til it gets to 95 or 100.

I had 80 days of the cold/wet stuff out of 126 hiking days in 2003, and like Howie, I've had my share and I prefer something else.

screwysquirrel
01-21-2004, 06:17
(None of you who voted for the cold hiked in 2000, did you? 100 days of rain out of 175 for me. I've had my share of rain. While I don't mind the rain, given the choice...) Hunrgy Howie. Yeah I hiked in 2000 but I'll rather be cooler than hot. Carryng that pack when its hot is a lot harder,especially for an old guy like me. Also there's more water to be had when it's raining. Even though I think they got more rain in 2003 than in 2000. But when I was out in Sept of 99 hiking thru Maryland and Va. with those 2 hurricanes that landed, I think it rained 28 days out of 30 and it wasn't too bad.

Jaybird
01-21-2004, 06:18
I agree much with Howie.

85 isn't hot. I don't like humidity because ...

if you're hiking in the South...CONSIDER humidity on any temps 75 & above!
the "Heat Index" (the weather forecasters call it,...much like the wind chill for the cold weather) is a big factor. if its 85 degrees & 70-80% humidity...NOT uncommon in June, July, August & sometimes early September in GA, NC/TN & southern VA.....the body thinks its near 100 degrees....

that would ruin anybody's day...or @ least make it mucho miserable!

see ya'll out there in 2004!

sloetoe
01-29-2004, 13:44
Ok let me think about this:

40*F and raining or 85*, humid and sunny?

No brainer. 85*. 85* isn't hot. Ususally in the summer, up in them thar hills, when its 85 during the day its about 55-65 at night - a comfortable overnight temperature. I can wake up early with the sun, get to hiking in the comfortable morning hours, take a break at mid-day, and hike well into the evening. 85* isn't *hot*. I'd prefer 65-75, but 85 is perfectly acceptable. I'd rather go swimming in a pond than swim through icy rain all day. None of you who voted for the cold hiked in 2000, did you? 100 days of rain out of 175 for me. I've had my share of rain. While I don't mind the rain, given the choice...

-Howie

Egg-ZACK-leeee!

sloetoe
01-29-2004, 13:50
[QUOTE=Moon Monster]I agree much with Howie.

85 isn't hot. I don't like humidity because ...
if you're hiking in the South...CONSIDER humidity on any temps 75 & above!
the "Heat Index" (the weather forecasters call it,...much like the wind chill for the cold weather) is a big factor. if its 85 degrees & 70-80% humidity...NOT uncommon in June, July, August & sometimes early September in GA, NC/TN & southern VA.....the body thinks its near 100 degrees....

that would ruin anybody's day...or @ least make it mucho miserable! [Quote]
~~~~~~~~
Don't worry.
As an 'bama man, HH knows the north can get 70-80-90% humidity too. But if you read his LT journal
http://www.newsushi.net/lt-journal1.html , I don't think he mentions much more than "Got thirsty".....
(IIRC)

skinnytoe

Kozmic Zian
02-24-2004, 21:48
Yea.......which weather? I like weather. I like it a little cold (I'm hot sleeper, hot walker), to me the 40's are perfect. I don't think it's as much fun in The Mountains when the weather is too 'good'. I don't like rain (heavy) every day, but I'll take a little rain, before the hot, 'muggy'. Muggy,sweaty, yuk....you can have it. I'll take the cool, rainy weather anytime. KZ@

beckon4
03-30-2004, 19:01
I'll take the hot days over constant rain-40 days any day, but who is giving us choices when we get out on the trail? You learn ways to adapt and learn how to make the most of it without complaining to other hikers. Swearing at the trail is OK so long as no one hears you.

As for drinking water. My son taught me to drink lots when you wake up and lots every time you come to water. I had to force myself to drink about 2 liters of water in the morning. After a while it is part of your routine and hard to get dehydrated that way. I almost never drank anything but water. Except when it was cool, then I sure liked a hot drink.

Chip
07-20-2004, 18:12
Both types of weather can be rough. The one thing that is common for me is that I'm going to get soaked either way!! If it is rain water or sweat on a cool rainy day or just plain sweat on a hot muggy day... it does not matter. I always drink plenty of water. I vote for the cool rainy day anytime. The hot days can pull the energy right out of you !!! Sometimes I bleed water and piss air. The main thing is to stay hydrated!! Drink plenty of water and when in town enjoy a beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) Happy Trails,
Chip

steve hiker
07-20-2004, 18:41
I love hiking in cold weather. It's invigorating. In fact I'm counting the days now until the first fall cold fronts start heading south, pushing the heat and humidity back to Cuba. The sun's heading south now and the days are getting shorter, so it'll only be a couple months till mountain time.

Also I hike "warm" and find myself overheating whenever the temps rise above 50 degrees. So definitely I vote for cold. Bring it on!

Pencil Pusher
07-20-2004, 19:51
If you chose the first option, move to Seattle. I chose the second option because I live in Seattle.

smokymtnsteve
07-20-2004, 19:51
I love hiking in cold weather. It's invigorating. In fact I'm counting the days now until the first fall cold fronts start heading south, pushing the heat and humidity back to Cuba. The sun's heading south now and the days are getting shorter, so it'll only be a couple months till mountain time.

Also I hike "warm" and find myself overheating whenever the temps rise above 50 degrees. So definitely I vote for cold. Bring it on!

I like the cold weather also..for me hiking is a cool weather sport. can't wait for autumn ,color, cool crisp mornings and clear cool evenings around a small fire.
and big autumn full harvest moons :clap

Texas Dreamer
07-21-2004, 10:05
I voted 85 degrees. If the options had been Hot or Cold, I would probably have voted cold, for all of the reasons others have stated. But 85 isn't hot--it's that temp in the spring that saves electric bills because you don't need to run either the furnace or the air conditioner.
--This opinion may be influenced by the fact that I'm in Austin, TX, it's July, and my A/C has been broken for a week and a half!

That said, my favorite time to hike is in a warm spring drizzle--nothing like the sound of a light rain on the tarp to go to sleep by.

hacksaw
11-25-2004, 17:06
Being a product of the North Georgia Foothills I am no stranger to 85 degree days when the humidity is higher than ambient temprature. We have many more of those than the 40 degree rainy days, so gimmie. the heat! (or as b'rer rabbit might howl, please, please b'rer fox! PLEEEZE don't throw me in that briar patch!)

Hacksaw the tropical

Ridge
11-25-2004, 22:44
Better parking, better campsites and fewer sightseers to deal with in bad weather. I also sleep better in this weather.

Buckingham
08-19-2005, 16:05
Wow, alot of choices on this one. Could'nt you have put 40 degree and no rain, or 85 and raining cats & dogs? Mute point anyways, I'm just thrilled to be on the trail whenever I get the chance, no matter what the conditions are.

kyhipo
08-19-2005, 16:23
not the rain but cooler weather for sure 60 is the best 40 at night:dance ky

TOW
08-19-2005, 18:17
i like hiking in the rain sometimes, but fall and spring are my favorite times to be out there...i don't mind the winter if i'm in the south.....

justusryans
08-20-2005, 14:55
[QUOTE=sloetoe]if you're hiking in the South...CONSIDER humidity on any temps 75 & above!
[Quote]

We just got back early from camping here in Northeast North Carolina. The heat index is showing 110 degrees. We were sitting in the shade, with a nice breeze and the sweat was POURING off from us! I was having problems staying hydrated. So, called it done, and now I'm sitting in the a/c with a cold beverage! When it's that hot I am just miserable. I would much rather have cool, rainy weather.

Seeker
08-21-2005, 00:59
i moved south years ago just to get into the heat and humidity. the cold just does something to me... knots up my back, makes me ache, i just hate it. (and i grew up in central new york too!) so now i'm happy in LA... can hike year round, and when it does actually get too hot to hike (july, maybe august), you can always switch to canoe camping and rinse off every night. hammock helps in the heat too. dad always said you can put more clothes on when you're cold... he forgot that my fingers have only about a half-inch between them, and they are always cold... i'll take the heat and humidity any day. and once you get acclimated, it's actually pretty easy to say hydrated... even with a pack, a couple qts during the day (and a camel-up at night and in the morning) are all i need.

Skyline
11-28-2005, 17:58
The people who voted 85+ hot humid days, expecting a view, are likely in for a disappointment. Where I live, that's the kind of weather where the views disappear because of the haze instead of the fog in the other choice.

I voted for 40 degrees and rain. Hopefully the rain lets up long enough to put up my tarp-tent and take it back down. Otherwise, not that bad!