PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Cooking at Higher Altitudes

The Weasel
06-03-2007, 06:25
I'm going to walk up Mt San Gorgonio out here in Southern California next month to see if there really is a sun, since this is the time of "June Gloom" here and I miss it. Gorgy is the tallest rock in So Cal, about 11,500, and my highest walk so far is Clingman's Dome, so I'm not totally certain how efficient my alky stove will be at two campsites around 10,000 feet that I'm going to stay at.

Anyone with experience at altitudes like that with alcohol cooking? Yeah, I know all cooking takes longer that high, but anyone who has done it and can comment would be appreciated.

The Weasel

Condor
06-03-2007, 10:42
I used mine in Coloradoa at 10,000 feet and it worked just fine!

Condor
06-03-2007, 10:43
Thats Colorado:confused:

Ewker
06-03-2007, 10:45
you shouldn't have any problems using the stove at that altitude.

jasonklass
06-03-2007, 11:02
Well, think of it this way, your water will boil faster but your food will take longer to cook. So, if you're using dehydrated food, you'll need to let it rehydrate longer than at lower elevation. Here's a chart with boil times for different altitudes: http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/altitudeandboiltimes.htm

The Weasel
06-04-2007, 11:38
Thats Colorado:confused:

What if I'm going to Coloradoa?

The Weasel

PS: Thanx to all

Footslogger
06-04-2007, 11:42
I'm going to walk up Mt San Gorgonio out here in Southern California next month to see if there really is a sun, since this is the time of "June Gloom" here and I miss it. Gorgy is the tallest rock in So Cal, about 11,500, and my highest walk so far is Clingman's Dome, so I'm not totally certain how efficient my alky stove will be at two campsites around 10,000 feet that I'm going to stay at.

Anyone with experience at altitudes like that with alcohol cooking? Yeah, I know all cooking takes longer that high, but anyone who has done it and can comment would be appreciated.

The Weasel

============================================

We use alcohol in Trangia stoves out here in Wyoming and the majority of our trailheads are at about 10,500 or higher. Have never had a problem, regardless of season.

'Slogger

Seeker
06-05-2007, 13:23
What if I'm going to Coloradoa?

The Weasel

PS: Thanx to all

it will work there too... :D

Mags
06-05-2007, 14:36
I
Anyone with experience at altitudes like that with alcohol cooking?

I have used an alchy stove as high as 13k feet.

As an aside, one time when camped out, I was the first person to have my food cooked that night. Not because the alcohol burn time is faster, but because of the "futz" factor of white gas stoves vs. alcohol stoves. That night was in the Boulder Field (http://www.komar.org/faq/longs-peak/boulder-field/) just below Longs Peak.

You can crunch the numbers, but ultimately it works just fine at the altitude 3 season backpackers see.

Nightwalker
06-05-2007, 19:06
Ambient temp matters more than altitude. If it's cold out, have a seperate bottle to keep an oz of alcohol in for your next meal or so, and keep it near your body. At a higher temp, it lights right up. (Same with canisters.)

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2007, 01:57
dog mushers use alkyhol burners in really cold temps in AK