PDA

View Full Version : Tarptents: Squall & Double Rainbow

2009ThruHiker
06-03-2007, 09:27
We are trying to decide on a much lighter tent for our 09 thru hike and have come down to the:-? Squall and Double Rainbow. I am curious about the lack of a real wall between the mesh and the doors on both models. It looks like the rain fly in the pics doesn't come all the way down to the grouons:
1.What has been the experience with the possible water entry into these tent models?
2. Recommendations on a particular model between these two?

bigcranky
06-03-2007, 10:00
Hey, '09,

We have a Rainshadow, which is the 3-person version of the Squall. Realize that a Tarptent is part tarp and part tent -- the walls don't attach to the floor. The walls are far enough out from the floor that we've never had any rain get inside, even in some pretty heavy storms. You'll want to make sure you pitch the Tarptent with the foot end facing into the prevailing wind. When looking for a good site, think 'tarp' more than 'tent' -- you don't want a heavily-used, compacted site where water will run through in a heavy rain, b/c it will run right through your Tarptent.

The Rainshadow also makes a great 2-person shelter, with plenty of room for gear and hanging out. (More so than the Squall, IMHO.) The downside of the Squall/Rainshadow design is the door: there is one door at the front, with a smallish beak, and it can be somewhat difficult to get in and out, especially in bad weather. We're looking at the Double Rainbow for a two person shelter (for when our daughter heads off to college and we can hike as a couple). The two doors are on the long sides, making it easier to get in and out and offering better ventilation. There are two larger vestibules for gear storage and (careful) cooking. The shape offers more headroom for hanging out.

They're both good shelters, so it's up to you.

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2007, 10:24
I have a single Rainbow I have slept in well over 100 times. I spoke to a couple who have the Double Rainbow prototype. They have enjoyed using it and said any issues they identified had already been addressed when they provided feedback.

In addition to the comments by bigcranky, the bathtub floor that you clip up when it rains also helps prevent "splashback".

As noted, you will get wet if you set up in an area that collects water when it rains.

You would probably be happy with any Henry Shires Tarptent but I have a strong affection for my Rainbow. I don't think you can beat the spaciousness for the weight.

2009ThruHiker
06-03-2007, 21:24
thanks for the help guys! i'm going to place an order very soon. much help has been appreciated.