PDA

View Full Version : How long does a set of AquaMira last?

TwoForty
06-03-2007, 12:24
How much water do you normally treat and how many days does a set last?
The bottle says up to 30 gallons, but I am not sure if that is conservative or the best case scenario.
Thanks.

Jaybird
06-03-2007, 13:01
How much water do you normally treat and how many days does a set last?
The bottle says up to 30 gallons, but I am not sure if that is conservative or the best case scenario.
Thanks.

i take iodine tabs with me....havent filtered in a few years....but the Aqua Mira kit should have an expiration date on it.

Good Luck with your hike.:D

Lyle
06-03-2007, 13:11
Jaybird,

I think TwoForty meant how long before he has to re-supply. In other words how many days of drinking water will the aquamira provide.

I have been out for two weeks with a new set, and have plenty left, I would guess that a set would last a month or so. Keep in mind, not all your water sources will need treating, variations in hiking conditions will dictate more or less consumption, personal drinking habits will factor in, hotter weather will usually require more water, all these are so variable that it is hard to predict.

If I were doing a thru-hike, I would probably carry some Iodine tablets as back-up. They are light and take up little space. Could then ditch them if you like once you figure out how the aquamira lasts for you personally.

mountain squid
06-04-2007, 20:20
I treat all water that is not boiled and that did not come from town (or a reliable spigot). And I've gone at least 30 days without resupplying Aqua Mira. As Lyle mentioned, there are many variables to consider.

Pay attention to where the next outfitter is and resupply as necessary.

<insert water drinking smiley>

See you on the trail,
mt squid