PDA

View Full Version : Parking near Neel's Gap

Uncle Wayne
09-30-2003, 04:13
I'm planning a section hike from Springer Mtn. to Neel's Gap in early November. I need a place to leave a vehicle for 3 days near Neel's Gap. Is the Bryon Herbert Reece parking area (I believe that's what it's called) located on Highway 129 a safe place to leave a vehicle? I'd appreciate any info or suggestions. I'm going to need a shuttle back to Springer Mtn. also. Thanks.

2Ply
09-30-2003, 06:25
I have used that parking area many times and never had a problem. Some of them for several days at a time. The county police patrol it most days.

MedicineMan
09-30-2003, 06:29
Uncle Wayne, when we did that section we left our vehicle there and had no problem....later when I did Unicoi to Neels I left it at Blood Mtn cabins where I had spent the night before hiking...the owner shuttled me to the trailhead but that was in January and it was not a busy time for him...I remember him saying 'boy its going to be bad up there' as he looked up at Blue Mtn...when he dropped me off the trail already had 3inches of snow on it....you wont have that problem hopefully! Enjoy the shower post hike at the Walasi-Y center.

Rain Man
10-01-2003, 00:10
I did that same section in August. I bet it's great in November too!

We had friends shuttle our van from Springer to the Byron Reece Memorial parking lot just down from Walasi-Yi at Neels Gap and there was no problem at all with it being there for 3 days.

Enjoy your hike!!! We sure did. Posted a trip report on here somewhere.

Oh, a hint. Dumb me never saw the register on Springer. Somehow it escaped me all together. So, don't you forget to sign in. Supposed to be in the rock under the bronze plaque.

Rain Man

Youngblood
10-02-2003, 07:07
Uncle Wayne,

The parking lot you mentioned is abount a 1/4 mile north of where the AT crosses US19 at Neels Gap. There is a $2/day parking fee at this parking lot and at the parking lot near Springer Mountain on USFS42 (you deposit either cash or check in a marked envelop and a day is from 12 am to 12 pm). There is an outfitter at Neels Gap (with short term parking for patrons) owned by Winton & Margie Porter (706-745-6095) who can provide you with information about available shuttles.

As for safety, I don't think it is any better or worse than any other trailhead parking in the area. Ask the folks at Neels Gap about that also, they are in a postion to hear pretty much what is happening along the trail in Georgia.

Have a great hike,
Youngblood