PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker-Need Tips on Carrying H20

gimpy68
06-04-2007, 12:48
I'm new to hiking and have been planning my first hike since December. I will be hiking (hopefully), from the start of the trail in GA to the NC border. I have to start the hike in July, and am concerned about the heat and carrying enough H20. My pack has a hydration system, so I planned on carrying 3 liters in that to start. Does anyone have any tips on refilling. Will I be able to find water sources along the trail this time of year? Also, I have been trying to decide on what treatment system to buy. I'm thinking that the Katahdin system would work o.k. I would welcome any comments/tips from any experienced hikers.

Rainman
06-04-2007, 13:00
Ultimately, you should do what you are comfortable with. Carrying 3 liters is very likely more than you will need in that section, and I say that as a person who carries water. I would consider taking a two liter hydration pouch. That will save you several pounds at the start of the day. You will hear from some ultralight hikers that you don't need to carry water at all, just "camel up" at the water sources.

That section has a lot of reliable sources ranging from small springs to large creeks and streams, some even flow right across or next to the trail. All of the shelters in that section have reliable sources for cooking in the evening, assuming that you will be overnighting at or near the shelters (which is a whole other controversial topic).

txulrich
06-04-2007, 13:25
I'm new to hiking and have been planning my first hike since December. I will be hiking (hopefully), from the start of the trail in GA to the NC border. I have to start the hike in July, and am concerned about the heat and carrying enough H20. My pack has a hydration system, so I planned on carrying 3 liters in that to start. Does anyone have any tips on refilling. Will I be able to find water sources along the trail this time of year? Also, I have been trying to decide on what treatment system to buy. I'm thinking that the Katahdin system would work o.k. I would welcome any comments/tips from any experienced hikers.

Something you may want to consider with a hydration system. You cannot easily tell how full it is. I know a lot of people also carry a bottle independant so that when the bladder runs out, you still have a reserve.

Gray Blazer
06-04-2007, 13:42
Buy 2 or 3 20 oz gator-aids. You can usually find a place in your pack to store them. When you drink them up, refill from the springs. I use the Katahdin system and it has been dependable for years now. I don't use a camel hydration system, but my son does and he drinks from it all the time and like TX says, he never knows how full it is. He prolly is more hydrated than he needs to be.

Smudge
06-04-2007, 13:44
Something you may want to consider with a hydration system. You cannot easily tell how full it is. I know a lot of people also carry a bottle independant so that when the bladder runs out, you still have a reserve.

This advice saved my butt on a Grand Canyon hike in August. Trying to take a pull of water from that nifty little tube and just sucking your cheeks inside out is a sickening feeling in 125F heat!!

scope
06-04-2007, 14:01
We're in severe drought conditions now, so I'm sure that 3L is absolutely necessary. I also take a 1L platty to fill up at appetizing springs or creek crossings along the way. Not every spring is likely to be appetizing due to daily thunderstorm runoff - make sure you have something to prescreen cloudy water so you don't clog your filter.

Here's another thought.... bring a change of clothes that you can keep dry, and don't bring rain gear.

Personally, I think July is the worst time to hike in GA. Its hot at night, there's always the threat of a thunderstorm making the peaks all the more interesting, and the trail is overgrown with grasses, etc. (through no fault of the maintainers, it just grows so fast). In fact, I like wearing lite water resistant pants in the summer to keeps my legs and shoes dry in the a.m. from the dew.

One more thing, I'd hike SOBO - not a huge deal, but a lot more fun that way except for Blood Mt.

prickly cactus
06-04-2007, 14:22
When does the water become scarce in this area, time of year?

digger51
06-04-2007, 20:31
To me the worst part of that stretch is Hawk Mtn shelter to Justus Creek. I always carry two one liter bottles and that is the only place where I feel I don't have enough. Big rains just went through according to the weather channel, so most of the rest might be ok now.

Bare Bear
06-04-2007, 23:01
I used two 32 oz Gatorade bottles (big mouths, easy to fill and I used a coffee filter for a while to keep out dirt etc then later didn't even bother with that.) Katahdin type Filters allow you to drink immediately, clog often, weigh you down. Bleach drops (two drops per 32 oz, wait at least 30 minutes for it to work) very cheap, little weight, but you have to wait to drink and the longer is better. Try different methods long before you go and see what works for you. I opted for the bleach.

Lyle
06-05-2007, 10:15
I have become a convert to a hydration system - resisted for many years, but I now like the convenience. I carry a two liter Platypus - not always full. I also carry a three liter platypus with regular cap for use at camp, or if going through a particularly dry stretch. The extra Platypus rolls up tightly when not in use and is very light.

I have used the gatoraid or similar bottles, they work fine, but they are the same size whether full or empty - a disadvantage in my opinion.

Disadvantages to Platypus:
1) more expensive than gatoraid
2) hydration hose can freeze in colder weather or overnight (make sure to blow all the water from the hose back into the bag before going to bed)
3) more difficult to fill at some locations. Not a problem at piped springs, but at dip springs can be difficult. I find carrying an extra 1 pint zip lock to use as a dipper works well, the stiffened top allows for a narrow spout to fill the platypus

I have never found that judging how much water remains is too much of a problem, I just reach my hand down inside and judge the "heft" of what's left.

As for treatment, I use aquamira.

Very much a personal decision, many "right" approaches. Nothing says you have to stay with your first choice either, you can change methods most any time.

Have fun!

Time To Fly 97
06-05-2007, 11:48
Get into the habit of "cameling up" at water sources and before you leave camp in the morning. Carry water in you where it belongs : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

shades of blue
06-05-2007, 11:57
I hiked from springer to fontana last summer and had no real issues with reliable water sources being dry...that doesn't mean they won't be, but you will usually see notes in shelter registers. Also, if you go to the ATC website, they will often talk about current trail conditions, sometimes including springs that have gone dry. I use Aqua Mira, some people go without treating, some people use bleach and many use filters. I carried a filter for two years, but for me Aqua Mira is the way to go. Also, you can get a gatorade mix to help with the electrolytes that you'll be loosing from all the sweat...that's a major way that I combat the heat. It's a little more weight, but it really helps. You can also chill out in the middle of the day at a shelter and hike in the mornings and late afternoon/evenings. Getting an early start does wonders for making miles without dying from the heat. Have a fun trip, the AT is wonderful trail, just be prepared to catch the hiking bug....once you start, it's hard to stop.

shades of blue
06-05-2007, 12:01
One more thing to remember...a liter of h20 weighs approximately 2.2 lbs. If you have close water sources where you need to carry a liter or liter and a half, but you carry 3... you're talking the difference between 3.5 lbs of h20 and close to 7 lbs. Carrying too much water defeats the purpose because you have to expend so much more energy carrying the extra weight. Just something to think about. Stay hydrated...but after you've hiked for a while, you'll learn how much YOU need in a given stretch.

I hiked from springer to fontana last summer and had no real issues with reliable water sources being dry...that doesn't mean they won't be, but you will usually see notes in shelter registers. Also, if you go to the ATC website, they will often talk about current trail conditions, sometimes including springs that have gone dry. I use Aqua Mira, some people go without treating, some people use bleach and many use filters. I carried a filter for two years, but for me Aqua Mira is the way to go. Also, you can get a gatorade mix to help with the electrolytes that you'll be loosing from all the sweat...that's a major way that I combat the heat. It's a little more weight, but it really helps. You can also chill out in the middle of the day at a shelter and hike in the mornings and late afternoon/evenings. Getting an early start does wonders for making miles without dying from the heat. Have a fun trip, the AT is wonderful trail, just be prepared to catch the hiking bug....once you start, it's hard to stop.

bigcranky
06-05-2007, 12:29
Something else to think about with the Platy or any other flexible water bag system: you should carry the Platy Patches, which are stick-on repair patches for when you get a leak. I have one Platy that is covered with the things. They are great -- they stick when wet, and completely seal the hole.

Oh, and don't lay your full Platy bag down on a bunch of thorns. Ask me how I know that! <g>

farmermv
06-05-2007, 12:49
I just did a section hike from Springer to Neels Gap and back. There was no problem with water. All of the sources on the official maps were flowing. I carried a liter in my bag with an 8 oz bottle to use while waiting on the chemicals to work. Look ahead on the maps, sometimes you don't need to carry any because the next source is only a mile further. For instance, drink lots at Springer and don't carry any because the first four miles are all downhill and there are a few small sources along the way. Starting at Hawk Mtn you will need a couple of liters because it's about 8 miles to the next source. Just look ahead on your maps.

Jaybird
06-05-2007, 13:12
I'm new to hiking and have been planning my first hike since December. I will be hiking (hopefully), from the start of the trail in GA to the NC border. I have to start the hike in July, and am concerned about the heat and carrying enough H20. My pack has a hydration system, so I planned on carrying 3 liters in that to start. ..............etc,etc,etc,........................ ..........

Yo gimpy68:

u learn as u go...like "Rainman" mentioned...3 litres of water is probably more than you'll need before resupply...filtration system?...personal taste...i just carry iodine tabs & havent used them in the past 3 years...if the water is running & clean...i drink it straight...

good luck with your hike!

Gaiter
06-05-2007, 17:40
a 3liter platy should do fine, as long as your smart, you shouldn't have to worry about it leaking on a short trip. i use a filter so i pull my bite valve off, put the hose on my filter and pump directly into it, really easy.

and with water treatment do what works for you, i don't like the chemicals so i pump my water, i can drink water like its going out of style that way. if you don't mind the chemicals and want to go lighter, take the iodine or aqua mira.

and in the words of miss janet be sure not to over-hydrate, your sweat starts to taste like water and not salty, that can be very dangerous and cause you to have a heart attack, 1 liter per 5 miles (but i don't know if that 1:5 rule is for long distance hikers or any hiker???)

general
06-05-2007, 17:54
When does the water become scarce in this area, time of year?

any time it's been dry for several weeks on end water sources in this section slow down, any time of year. this year is the second dryest year on record here in georgia, the only spring (that i know of) that is dry is on the south side of blue mountain.

general
06-05-2007, 17:57

you don't need any filtration or treatment in this section, especially if you're going to carry up to 3L. that should be plenty, even if you had to bypass a questionable source.

Mother Nature
06-05-2007, 20:01
It is extremely dry in GA at the moment. Some sections of the trail tend to get showers more often than others. If we don't get rain soon I can tell you that there will be problems in July.

Last year for the first time I saw the stream on Rocky Mtn (Unicoi Gap) bone dry. The water at Tray Shelter was also non-existant at that time.

I was recently at Plum Orchard Shelter, the last shelter in GA and found the water flowing adequately.

It is too soon to predict what conditions will be in July other than the guarantee that the nights will be hot and the days boiling. I guess it depends if a good tropical storm passes by in the next month.

I am backpacking from Unicoi to Dicks Creek this weekend. I will report back what I currently find for water on Rocky, Cheese Factory, Tray Mountain and Deep Gap.

MN

SunnyWalker
07-13-2007, 23:30
Oh well-here is what I do. Carry and use a Sweetwater filtration system. I like it and it is light. Use a bladder for collecting water for camp. Carry two quart size plastic army canteens-industrucktible, cheap ($3.00 at army surplus) and they fit in the side pockets on my pack (on the outside). Up yours nalgene!!!!!!!!!! -SunnyWalker