PDA

View Full Version : Need Tattoo Ideas

Todd Heyn
06-04-2007, 19:03
Now that summer is here it is time to start thinking about getting a new tattoo. I would like to have my next one centered around my hiking. My thought was to have a set of boot foot prints with Mountains in the background. Around it, I could add the trail symbols of the Trails that I hike, Northville Placid trail in NY, the AT, the Long Trail in VT, etc.

Someone here has an avatar of the bottoms of a pair of boots but I can not seem to find them now. Can anyone remember who has that avatar?

What are your suggestions for a piece of body art?

Rain Man
06-05-2007, 10:37

I suggest you tattoo the names of the top posters on WhiteBlaze. That way, you can start a contest!
:D :D :D

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
06-05-2007, 10:42
tattoos are trashy. not art at all

Gray Blazer
06-05-2007, 10:47
Someone here has an avatar of the bottoms of a pair of boots but I can not seem to find them now. Can anyone remember who has that avatar?

It was one pint or rock star, if I remember correctly.:-?

Fiddleback
06-05-2007, 10:57
I'm partial to spiders. A life-sized brown recluse should be pretty cheap!:D

Fiddleback

Ender
06-05-2007, 11:42

Incorrect, if you're talking about other people. For yourself, that could be a correct statement. But since it's a subjective matter, if you're talking about other people's opinions, it's incorrect.

For an idea... I'd say a pair of boots sitting by a tree stump.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2007, 11:43
Incorrect, if you're talking about other people. For yourself, that could be a correct statement. But since it's a subjective matter, if you're talking about other people's opinions, it's incorrect.

correct. my opinion.

Ender
06-05-2007, 11:45
correct. my opinion.

:)

Incorrect. My opinion :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just playin' around.

Fiddler
06-05-2007, 11:48
Since hikers walk a lot, and a lot of hikers wear shorts, how about a big pair of hinges in the back of the knees so they bend as you walk? Give the folks behind you a laugh.

Doc_of_the_bay
06-05-2007, 13:46
I would like to have my next one centered around my hiking.

Is that anywhere near your navel?

MOWGLI
06-05-2007, 14:44
So you want something permanent written on your body, but you don't know what, so you're asking others what it is that should be written on you?

Now I'm really confused. :confused:

Freeleo
06-05-2007, 15:11
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/The_Green_Monkey/5b3ed8ca.jpg

or this...sorry i couldnt resist

http://www.planetb.net/phpix/albums/Jokes/Worst%20Belly%20Button%20Tattoo.jpg

i ve got more if you care to be enlightened or grossed out depending or your perspective

peace
jch

Freeleo
06-05-2007, 15:13
and pretty soon you might look like this

http://www.capohedz.com/typebrighter/uploaded_images/tattoo-2004-067b-716138.jpg

jesse
06-05-2007, 15:16

I agree 100%

Doctari
06-05-2007, 17:30
I like footsloggers tatoo http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8603&catid=searchresults&searchid=8486

When I thru I'm going to folow his example & get a tat that matches how I percieve my hike was.

If I end up doing the whole d*** thing as a sectionist, the AT symbol will be in 13 peices or sections, one for each state. Or, at least in 13 different colors. Back of my right leg, w the bottom just above my average sock height.

Gaiter
06-05-2007, 17:58
look on the atc store http://www.appalachiantrail.org/ there are a bunch of different logos (including boots), maybe find one there to be personalized

Darby
06-05-2007, 18:33

It was Rockstar, but she has changed it recently.

Nightwalker
06-05-2007, 18:41
So you want something permanent written on your body, but you don't know what, so you're asking others what it is that should be written on you?

Now I'm really confused. :confused:

Maybe he wants to be unique, just like the rest of his friends! (Bad joke, sorry.)

I've got two tattoos, both old. Wish I knew then what I do now.

Nightwalker
06-05-2007, 18:44
Before you get a tat, ask a 60-year-old with a few what they think of 'em.

I'm just sayin'...

redredrose
06-05-2007, 18:52
look on the atc store http://www.appalachiantrail.org/ there are a bunch of different logos (including boots), maybe find one there to be personalized

Sorry, but the ATC has copywrites registered for all those logos. To reproduce them in any manner, i.e. photocopy, tracing, tattooing would be a violation of the copywrite law. Now I don't know how you feel about "law-abiding" citizens, but I'd hate for the copywrite police to repossess my skin.:eek:

OUCH!!!

Programbo
06-05-2007, 18:52
I don`t know..I seem to hear a lot of commercials now for products that remove or laser removal of tattoos so maybe the fad is on its way out now...But if you insist on getting one maybe you could strike a deal with ATTROLL to have WWW.WHITEBLAZE.NET (http://www.WHITEBLAZE.NET) plus the little hiker logo tattoo`d on you somewhere

mweinstone
06-05-2007, 18:59
scarification is wrong. people dont need to draw on themselves . they do it out of vanity. its hidious. its monsterous. its against god and its lame as crap. you all look silly and its bad for you and stop it right now. try to be a bit more respectfull of your body. it dosnt like tatoos. thats why they cause pain. pain is a warning signal that never fails. listen to the pain speak to you next time the artists needle taps. is says"ha! ha! sucker! you loose! vanity wins! chalk one up for saten!" my beautiful skin will remaine as it was intended by a mr christ when he gave it to me. mr christ knows best when it comes to things like tattoos and daily milage and packweight and breathmint. let him do the decorating. thanks. il go now. over to the time out thread. or maby ill start a new one. a thread so contravercial that attroll is a top poster even. lonewolf will live on the sofa of this thread im about to spin. the thread ill publish will knock the liner sox off the most tangy of hikers feet. it will have sex, drugs and rock and roll. it will be racial, political and undeniable. it will have legs my thread. it will rise frome the ashes of the old wine press floor and rival even the minnesota smith update thread if possible. ill go now. its time for my daily injection of not being a dumb ass. that shif is good!

Heater
06-05-2007, 19:03
Now that summer is here it is time to start thinking about getting a new tattoo. I would like to have my next one centered around my hiking. My thought was to have a set of boot foot prints with Mountains in the background. Around it, I could add the trail symbols of the Trails that I hike, Northville Placid trail in NY, the AT, the Long Trail in VT, etc.

Here's an idea... DONT GET ONE! :D:D:D

Heater
06-05-2007, 19:10
Maybe you could get your nipples peirced and run a chain between them like a sternum strap to commemorate your time on the AT. :cool:

Todd Heyn
06-05-2007, 22:24

I already have three tattoos so this is not something that I am blindly going in to. Just looking for some ideas on something new.

I do like the idea of the boots by the tree stump.

It is really amazing what kind of emotions that this subject has brought out in supposedly "free sprited" hikers that frequent this forum.

Nightwalker
06-05-2007, 22:43
I already have three tattoos so this is not something that I am blindly going in to. Just looking for some ideas on something new.

It is really amazing what kind of emotions that this subject has brought out in supposedly "free sprited" hikers that frequent this forum.

I only recommend against because I've got one that's spent 25 years in the sun. It started out really cool, then got ugly as the years went by. :)

rafe
06-05-2007, 23:11
Come down off your throne and leave your body alone

-- Steve Winwood/Blind Faith

Frosty
06-05-2007, 23:20

It is really amazing what kind of emotions that this subject has brought out in supposedly "free sprited" hikers that frequent this forum.Have you considered getting your ass tattooed to make it look like you have monkey butt? That's pretty free-spirited. And it is AT-related. And I'll bet it is something new, too. What more could you ask for? :D

Lone Wolf
06-05-2007, 23:34
scarification is wrong. people dont need to draw on themselves . they do it out of vanity. its hidious. its monsterous. its against god and its lame as crap. you all look silly and its bad for you and stop it right now. try to be a bit more respectfull of your body. it dosnt like tatoos. thats why they cause pain. pain is a warning signal that never fails. listen to the pain speak to you next time the artists needle taps. is says"ha! ha! sucker! you loose! vanity wins! chalk one up for saten!" my beautiful skin will remaine as it was intended by a mr christ when he gave it to me. mr christ knows best when it comes to things like tattoos and daily milage and packweight and breathmint. let him do the decorating. thanks. il go now. over to the time out thread. or maby ill start a new one. a thread so contravercial that attroll is a top poster even. lonewolf will live on the sofa of this thread im about to spin. the thread ill publish will knock the liner sox off the most tangy of hikers feet. it will have sex, drugs and rock and roll. it will be racial, political and undeniable. it will have legs my thread. it will rise frome the ashes of the old wine press floor and rival even the minnesota smith update thread if possible. ill go now. its time for my daily injection of not being a dumb ass. that shif is good!

you are loved

Darwin again
06-05-2007, 23:40
Have you considered getting your ass tattooed to make it look like you have monkey butt? That's pretty free-spirited. And it is AT-related. And I'll bet it is something new, too. What more could you ask for? :D

Or he could just get a tattoo of an ass. Or a tattoo of Chuck Norris' ass.:rolleyes:

smokymtnsteve
06-06-2007, 00:38
just make sure not to pick up some nasty blood borne viirus liek Hep A B C.

Gaiter
06-06-2007, 01:04

Sorry, but the ATC has copywrites registered for all those logos. To reproduce them in any manner, i.e. photocopy, tracing, tattooing would be a violation of the copywrite law. Now I don't know how you feel about "law-abiding" citizens, but I'd hate for the copywrite police to repossess my skin.:eek:

OUCH!!!

I should clarify: i never said to take the exact logo, by personalize i mean find an idea, logo, symbol, image, or whatever and make it your own, different from the logo but coming from the idea of it. i merely suggested the atc site as a source of 'inspirational' images. (please point to one show on tv now that wasn't 'inspired' by another show or thing, i just graduated from an arts school i can go on for hours about copywrites)

and i believe a certain amount of law breaking is good, particularly the dumb laws (but for the most part i respect copywrites)

-gaiter

Nightwalker
06-06-2007, 01:29
just make sure not to pick up some nasty blood borne viirus liek Hep A B C.

Especially C. I've already lost one friend to that.

smokymtnsteve
06-06-2007, 02:30
Especially C. I've already lost one friend to that.

yea A and B U kan git the vaccine for,,,but that HEP C is NASTY,,,

I'd rather have HIV than HEP C;)

Lone Wolf
06-06-2007, 07:25

who the frig ever said hikers are "free spirited"? most are type A, by-the-book weenies

Freeleo
06-06-2007, 08:19
Maybe you could get your nipples peirced and run a chain between them like a sternum strap to commemorate your time on the AT. :cool:

i once saw a man and a woman at the friendship, indiana NMLRA(muzzleloaders) shoot and flea market

they had a chain connecting them "below the belt" underneath two skirts...OUCH.....just thought i would share.....jsut when you think you have seen it all...they walked hand in hand

they had lots of tattoos too

peace....jch

rafe
06-06-2007, 08:34
who the frig ever said hikers are "free spirited"? most are type A, by-the-book weenies

It takes a bit of type-A stuff to hike from GA to ME in one season. A true "free spirit" would have no regard for endpoints or schedules.

Lone Wolf
06-06-2007, 08:38
It takes a bit of type-A stuff to hike from GA to ME in one season. A true "free spirit" would have no regard for endpoints or schedules.

that's why i quit in gorham twice

Alligator
06-06-2007, 08:40
There's a WB member who makes a number of AT products, stickers included, that have boot designs. His name is Fishinfred. I couldn't find his link to his stuff. He may be out hiking now:confused: .

Don't let these folks fool you Todd. Some of them still have their names tattooed on their arms for reference;) .

Nightwalker
06-06-2007, 08:49

At least you just said most...

BTW, what happened to that "I'm gonna be less negative" stuff? :)

rafe
06-06-2007, 08:52
that's why i quit in gorham twice

I can think of lots reasons for doing that. I've got a long history of losing interest in projects that were 90% done. :rolleyes: Maybe it's cuz you know you've proven (to yourself) whatever it was that you thought you needed to prove. I dunno.

TOW
06-06-2007, 08:57
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/The_Green_Monkey/5b3ed8ca.jpg

or this...sorry i couldnt resist

http://www.planetb.net/phpix/albums/Jokes/Worst%20Belly%20Button%20Tattoo.jpg

i ve got more if you care to be enlightened or grossed out depending or your perspective

peace
jch
bring 'em on........................:D

TOW
06-06-2007, 09:04

I have a few tatoos. If I had it to do all over again, I would not have had it done. One thing that you need to consider is where exactly you are going to put the art? Another thing is, if you ever get into any kind of trouble your tatoo can be used to identify you.

When i first got my tats I showed them off to everyone, but now that I am older I am glad that they are on my upper arms and easy to conceal from the public eye.

Freeleo
06-06-2007, 09:41
bring 'em on........................:D

I SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT THE LAST LINK IN MY LAST POST AND AM REGRETING THAT TATTOO:eek:

I AM SORRY>>>IT WAS OUT OF LINE AND NOT APROPRIATE

SORRY:( IT WAS A BIT OVER THE LINE BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE POST

jch

Darwin again
06-06-2007, 10:15
Gads, what a foul thread.

saimyoji
06-06-2007, 10:27
Frankly I'm surpised it hasn't been deleted yet. Freleo's posts at least.

Freeleo
06-06-2007, 10:33
well i have tried to contact the admin and i have attempter to delete the post or edit it and cant figure out how...once again i apologize...please advise if you can help me figure out how to make it go away ...i am trying

saimyoji
06-06-2007, 10:40
Well, we can keep posting here and hope it goes away.....:-?

...or we can all agree to not post here anymore, thereby no longer bumping it up to the top of the list.....:rolleyes:

All in favor say Aye. :D

dixicritter
06-06-2007, 10:58
Keep it clean in here.

Fiddler
06-06-2007, 12:15
I SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT THE LAST LINK IN MY LAST POST AND AM REGRETING THAT TATTOO:eek:

jch
If this is in your own album at planetb.net you could just go to your album and delete it there, then the link will be a dead link. Can't see it anymore.

TOW
06-06-2007, 13:55

jch
you have to be a donating member to edit your posts.......

BigwaveDave
06-06-2007, 16:11
Todd, I've got four tattoo's my first was at 18, my last was at 48. Body art has been around for thousands of years. Personal adornment, rings, necklaces, jewlery of any kind. It's all about vanity. I take it no one on this site wears any of the above. Some of the posters will tell you to hike your own hike but will then tell you what you should and shouldn't do. When I was young I got tattoo's to try and be cool, the newest ones are personal memorials to my departed parents and grandparents. As far as what others think of them I could care less. There's always someone who'll tell you what to do. The only rules I followed were the ones my great uncle told me. No womens names, no nazi or KKK crap, and you will live with what you put there forever. Your an adult its your call, as far as ideas the folks at Life is Good have some appropriate designs. The only one that could possible get charge with copywrite infringement would be the tattooist, but I have never heard of any chick getting busted for Betty Boop on her arm. If I was so inclined to have a piece of copywrited art on my arm and the tattoo gestopo stopped me I would probably have forgotten who did it. IMHO of course.

jesse
06-06-2007, 16:32
Big wave dave,

Hey, I'm not telling anybody what to do. I just think they look like ****. The original poster asked for ideas, all you free spitirited, open minded people ought to be able to hear a diissenting point of view, such as, "don't get one, they look like ****", without getting your panties in a wad. But it has been my experience that "open minded" people really get pissed off when folks say things they disagree with.
There is a hugh difference between jewlery and tatoos, one is permenant, the other is not.
I also do not think that teenagers are mature enough to make that decision, I wish they would wait until they are a little older.

Footslogger
06-06-2007, 16:54
Coming up with an idea for a tat is easy. Question to ask yourself when it comes to a tatoo is whether or not you'll really want it years from now. I guess next comes location.

I've got one and have no regrets. I didn't get it for anyone else. I got it for myself. My legs carried me to Katahdin (along with my stubborn mind) so that's where it sits ...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1137483465 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&d=1135959100)

'Slogger

mweinstone
06-06-2007, 17:29
long ago i came up with the ultimate peircing. a giant barbell as seen in prince alberts,...thru both butt cheeks. with a huge keychain ring clipped onto it dangeling out of leather chaps. whoever does this,...rules the world of trying to out scarify each other. my illegal nationals working in my sewer lex lutherlike lair say they will come up with the ultimate tattoo soon. a tattoo so horrible,.....everyone into that sort of thing will drool. i was just gonna tattoo a woman all one bright color. then my secret workers came up with something even worse. i will hold a press confrence to release my tattoo soon. in the mean time,... how about branding? mmmmmmm...branding.

BigwaveDave
06-07-2007, 15:21
Noted, As opposed to being a caged spirited and closed minded indvidual with a dissenting point of view? Stoney, the branding thing is being done by an african american fraternity.

superman
06-07-2007, 16:53
About a million years ago I had a CIB tatood on my arm. At the time it was what seperated us from all the rest. You can see it in the 4th picture (A Kiss on Katahdin). Most people have no idea what it is so I just say it's ship. http://groups.msn.com/OldGUYthenandnow/shoebox.msnw
When each of my sons graduated from high school I took each of them sky diving. My younger son insisted when it was his turn that he and I get matching tatoos. He picked out some sort of indian artsy thing that was put on our right ankles. The tatoo itself doesn't mean much to me but my son does so it's fine with me.
Footslogger's tatoo is darn nice.

veteran
06-07-2007, 17:43

Boots by the tree stump.

Jester2000
06-07-2007, 21:48
OUCH!!!

I don't know that the AT has a copyright on its logos; I would think it would be more likely that they would have trademarked them, if they did anything at all. Regardless, I suspect that the fair use doctrine would probably kick in if the ATC tried to prevent their logos from ending up on people's skin. If they do have a trademark on the AT logo, then the GI Joe Adventure Team has some 'splainin' to do. . .

The original poster asked for ideas, all you free spitirited, open minded people ought to be able to hear a diissenting point of view. . .

Actually, I suspect that the original poster was looking for ideas for tattoos, not for your opinion on tattoos. If you started a thread asking what kind of boots you should buy and I replied "hiking is for suckers. Don't buy boots. Buy a more comfortable couch," you would most likely respond by pointing out that you weren't soliciting opinions on whether or not you should hike. And you'd be right and I'd be wrong.

There is, I would imagine, enough bandwidth for your very own thread regarding your aversion to tattoos. Go crazy.

On the other hand, I would tell the original poster that nothing says "I'm a hiker" and "I love the outdoors" like a full backpiece portrait of me.

Mr. Clean
06-09-2007, 10:24
Wow, 'Slogger, my tattoo is in the exact same place. I also have the AT symbol, but in a 3-D pattern with the words "It's the journey" underneath it on my right calf. I love it, did it for me. It has meaning for me and I look at it every day and dream and remember. Shows up well with my kilt. :eek:

jesse
06-09-2007, 13:02
Actually, I suspect that the original poster was looking for ideas for tattoos, not for your opinion on tattoosGood point.

I will not say I think tatoos look bad on this thread ever again

Grinder
06-10-2007, 08:14
I never thught this thread would have "legs!!

All I can add is:

If you don't know what you want for a tattoo and the circus is not calling to say " you gt the job, if you get one more tattoo!!", then you don't need a tattoo right now.

Miles of Smiles
Tom
(has some ink)

nhalbrook
06-10-2007, 18:17
How about an X on each eye.

There is a place in Louisville that has billboards asvertising "Tattoos While You Wait".

K0OPG
06-11-2007, 08:15
Instead of a stump (I know they are out there but what has that got to do with hiking?) have a pair of boots sitting outside a tent (if you carried one) with your hiking poles (if used) crossed and leaning against the tent with a shaded AT symbol of your choice in the background.:-?

:banana I have four myself. Three representing my service in the Marine Corps. One of which is a replica of my dads that he had in the Marine Corps...a panther clawing up my arm. The other two is the Eagle, Globe and Anchor (freestyle) and a meat tag (those with previous military service will understand the last one). My son is heading to Marine Corps bootcamp today and plans are already made for him to get the panther tattoo when he graduates. Third generation Marine and tattoo! OOHRAH!! My fourth is a Margarita glass with a beach scene in it with the word Margaritaville written above it. And as Jimmy Buffett would say..."It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling". I do plan on getting an AT tat.

Make sure you post a picture when you get it.

Jester2000
06-11-2007, 21:24
My fourth is a Margarita glass with a beach scene in it with the word Margaritaville written above it.

5th generation drunk?

You know, the weird thing is, I was planning on getting a meat tag with COOPDOG's info on it to commemorate his service.

Heather
06-12-2007, 01:29
I've thought about this myself, referring to the initial question. I've thought of something with the AT logo with a path and a tree and also some picture or symbol of something that really touched me while I was hiking. You know something that keeps bringing me back to the wilderness such as the stark beauty of nature or the realization of ....hmmm. what is it? the profound beauty of nature, the realization of the interconnectedness of all life? Something like that.

On another note, I am curious why some might think it trashy. I probably shouldnt even bring this up but I don't get it. I do think some tattoos on people don't look good but I think it is because these people just wanted a tattoo and didn't put any thought into what it would be. Another thing is that I think a lot of people dont know the difference between a good tattoo artist and an average or bad one. I know I didn't. Now I do. Luckily I didn't get any before I knew the difference. I still don't have one because A)cant afford it. and B) Have to come up with a good one not to mention it has to be with an excellent artist.

Here is a funny story I like to tell people that happens to be true: I once asked my boyfriend Paul (now my X) if he would buy me a tattoo for my birthday. He said "No." when I asked why he said, "because you would probably get one that said, 'Paul's a Jerk'.

RockyBob
06-12-2007, 11:53
There's a WB member who makes a number of AT products, stickers included, that have boot designs. His name is Fishinfred. I couldn't find his link to his stuff. He may be out hiking now:confused: .

Don't let these folks fool you Todd. Some of them still have their names tattooed on their arms for reference;) .

http://fishinfreds.com/

Alligator
06-12-2007, 12:01
Dang I was leaving the s off fishinfred.

X
(I'm wearing long sleeves today:p)