PDA

View Full Version : Best dry bag?

trail ronin
06-04-2007, 23:22
I'm planning a boat/hike trip down the amazon next month and want to put my sleeping bag and some spare clothes in a dry bag in my pack. I've got a sea to summit event bag that I've not used yet and was thinking about buying an OR Hydroseal bag. Anybody used ether of these bags? Or have another option? Weight isn't much of an issue , as I'll only be taking short overnight foreys away from the boat.

hammock engineer
06-05-2007, 01:50
I have the event compression bag and like it. I have since dropped it and it's 6 oz in weight for their ultra sil bag and it's 1.5 oz weight.

My ultra sil food bag has made it through some good rains hung in the tree without getting my food wet.

I am planning on lining my ultra sil bags with trash compactor bags as a second line of defense.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-05-2007, 06:18
I'm planning a boat/hike trip down the amazon next month and want to put my sleeping bag and some spare clothes in a dry bag in my pack. I've got a sea to summit event bag that I've not used yet and was thinking about buying an OR Hydroseal bag. Anybody used ether of these bags? Or have another option? Weight isn't much of an issue , as I'll only be taking short overnight foreys away from the boat.

I've had great results from OR advanced hydroseal bags when, and this is a big when, they are sized properly. When filled either too full or too empty they do not stay sealed. So they are great for sleeping bags and clothes where volume is constant, not so great for food where volume is ever changing.

mudhead
06-05-2007, 07:23
I have the same issue with OR rolltops. Needs tension on the roll.

Amazon=Sealine or Pnuemo type kayak/rafting bag. For me...

Johnny Swank
06-05-2007, 09:40
Are these going to be inside a pack or rolling around in a boat? If they're rolling around and subject to abrasion, get a real drybag. Silnylon isn't made for that sort of abuse, and ain't going to last in that environment. I love silnylon for the right applications, but you need to choose wisely.

I've had great luck with Pacific Outdoor Equiptment WxTex drybags. We used these for 73 days down the Mississippi River, and they never leaked a drop. The Pneumo series are their lightest bags, and i've gotten to the point of using one of the smaller ones for my foodbag on backpacking trips.

I just went back and weighed most of my gear over the weekend. My 15 liter Pneumo drybag weighs 5.6 ounces, and is totally bomber. I'm carrying my food in that now and calling it a day instead of double-bagging my old silnylon bag. It's just more convienent to just have one bag in the end, and I can deal with the 3 ounce wieght difference.

Here's a gear review I did on these bags awhile back.

http://sourcetosea.net/gear/reviews.html

UnkaJesse
06-06-2007, 16:44
I use an OR HydroSeal bag for my food bag with no problems. It has stood up to many rains, but was no match for mice.

hpowers
06-08-2007, 15:55
If you want to keep your stuff really dry check out the Cascade Designs Boundary Bags. They are totally waterproof.

paulbrown137
06-11-2007, 12:57
check these out. I use the 5 liter for small gear while kayaking. they are waterproof and have a purge valve.

http://www.rei.com/product/734955

gravityman
06-11-2007, 17:57
The lightweight ones makes for backpacking won't stand up to the boating environment with sharp edges around and the abuse the receive. A million people make them. We get most of our stuff from NRS.

Gravity and Danger
Ga-ME 2005

hammock engineer
06-11-2007, 18:20
The lightweight ones makes for backpacking won't stand up to the boating environment with sharp edges around and the abuse the receive. A million people make them. We get most of our stuff from NRS.

Gravity and Danger
Ga-ME 2005

I have a couple PVC ones that I put through the ringer canoeing. They held up to whatever I would dish out. I would throw them from the canoe to the bank and back into the boat. Never let me down.

The ultra sil ones are really light (probibly a fifth the weight) but like you said not very puchure resistant.