PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken their kids with them?

ynot
06-05-2007, 08:58
I'm planning on a week long section hike. I am taking my kids. THey're all very able bodied country bumpkins like me. :) We have a walking/biking trail by us that we frequent and we can do 8 miles w/o batting an eyelash (as long as there is an icecream stop somewhere). I told them that if we can do a week hike, maybe later in the summer we can go for a month or more! Everyone says I'm crazy (AKA "adventurous" sp?) Is the AT exclusively an adult thing or a family thing (mom and dad w/ kids)? Everything I have read so far says the AT is safe. I think this would be a great thing to do w/ kids. It would get out there and out of our small town bubble. Am I crazy or adventurous??!!:D

PS-My husband hates to "walk" and he works to much-he will be playing the role of the shuttle bus and on call emergengy dispatch.

JDCool1
06-05-2007, 09:28
You failed to mention the ages of the kids, which could make a difference. One cautionery note: Do not overload and do not push for mileage. I took my kids out the first time at five years old. I took them both at 10 and 5. Did good for low mileage and lots of time to play. good luck and enjoy. If they are in their early teens, be sure they know the route and have dinner ready when you get there.

ynot
06-05-2007, 09:37
We are not planning on more than 5 miles a day. I think that is a very good number. A little too good. They range from 7-12 in age. I'm planning on lots of breaks. As I said before-we are going for a week to test it out-then we shall see. I just need reassurance that this is a safe thing to do. I have not tole my mother in law or even my mother yet. I need to be very factuall and confident when I do tell them. Our families have women that do anything by themselves w/o a man. I am the black sheep.:D

Lyle
06-05-2007, 10:43
I personally have no kids, but a friend of mine brought his very outdoor oriented 6 year old to Isle Royale with us for a 10 day trip. It was combined canoeing and hiking. He had a blast for the first 8 days, then he developed a pretty severe cold and was feeling miserable. The second from the last day he was dragging behind and his dad Phil was back there trying to encourage him. Finally the tears won out and he let out a "I MISS MOMMY".

Was sad at the time, but very cute. He moped around for about a half hour, then the cold meds kicked in and he got feeling better. That was the only low point, and he has anxiously gone on future trips. We kept daily mileage down aroun 6 miles, I think 8 was the highest day. He covered the miles great.

A couple of years later we took his younger brother on a much shorter trip, with mom along and he didn't do nearly as well. Had to be carried for parts of a 5 mile hike. Very dependent on the personality of the kids.

sarbar
06-05-2007, 14:21
It has a lot to do with the personality of the kids and the willingness of the parents and others coming along to have kids there :)
Me? I take my son often. He is 9 1/2 and has been hiking on his own since he was 3 1/2 (no carrier). At this point, 10 mile days are not an issue. Tiring? Yes, for both of us! But it is fun :)
So yes, take them! Start with low miles as you mentioned. And hey, if they hate it, you'll know it ;)

scothiker
06-05-2007, 14:29
I think ynot's concern is maybe not so much whether the kids can physically do the hike (seems like she has take that into account in daily mileage), but the safety factor in a woman alone with kids ages 7 -12, and it sounds as if she is not so much worried, as she knows she will get resistance from her mom and mother-in-law for going without her husband. This is a concern I have had and has kept me from doing overnights w/ my 12-year old, a very capable and athletic kid, as my husband does not like to "walk" either. I do have an acquaintance (in a different city, so not convenient to meet up for hikes) who takes her 12-year old, by herself, regularly on overnights on the AT and says it is just fine, as long as you're aware, don't answer too many questions about where you're going or will end up, and don't tent close to a road. But it would be helpful for others to address ynot's safety question so she can be prepared when she springs the trip on her mom and mom-in-law. I know, because I would get the same grief from mine!

ynot
06-05-2007, 14:40
Thank you for clearing that up. This is a very thought out trip. I am doing one mini hike (1 week long) to see if the longer hike is possible at all. The reason I am asking the question is that I haven't seen any mom hikers' posts on here at all. I was just wondering if there was a reason for that.

rafe
06-05-2007, 18:40
My main concern would be either keeping the kids in sight at all times, or at least impressing upon them, in no uncertain terms, the need to remain on the trail at all times. In particular: knowing to recognize if/when they're lost, and what to do (and not do) if that should happen.

dixicritter
06-05-2007, 20:10
I think if you feel comfortable enough in your hiking abilities to take your kids out without your husband along then go for it. You haven't said what your personal hiking experience is, but I assume you aren't a beginner or you wouldn't know some of the things you've mentioned like keeping the mileage down for the kids and such as that.

I personally would have to rely on my kids more extensive experience than my own, so would therefore at this point not feel quite as comfortable doing so just yet. Yes you read that right, my boys have been hiking with their Dad longer than I've been hiking so they have more experience.

Anyway, as for the AT being a safe place for a mom with her kids, well I think it's probably about as safe a place as going to any mall in this country these days, in my opinion. There are dangers everywhere if you live your life in fear of the what ifs you'll not be living much of a life.

buckowens
06-05-2007, 20:38
ynot,

My daughter Roo and I are leaving Monday for a two week section. She is nine, and is tough as nails. Her physical shape is excellent, and here in WV we have a very hilly yard to get the calves built up!!

I am military and fortunately have a bunch of leave saved, and my boss is really behind the adventure. We are going to go as long as she feels like it, stop and play and generally have a great time. I have a plan that strategically includes potential stops off trail if she/we need it. My longest day "planned" is 12 or 13 miles and is quite a ways into the trip. If we are slower or faster who cares... I told my wife I will give here a GPS coordinate to plug in to come and get us whenever and wherever we come off the trail.

I agree with others in that it is kid dependent. My wife made the comment the other night about her not liking it. My daughter walked close to me with an evil twinkle in her eye and said "Mom doesn't know me very well then does she". :D I cracked up!!

If you're out next week look for us. The old Army guy and the small Roo!

gsingjane
06-06-2007, 07:50
Hi Ynot, on the safety issue (since I know this is what concerns you), I have had my kids (now 15, 12 and 8) out on many section hikes and I have never had cause for concern on that score, and, yes, I am a woman alone with kids. I know lots of women don't go for this reason, but at least in my experience there is very little to worry about.

One thing that helps me is to consider the fact that criminals are often criminals because they're lazy. They'd rather do the easy thing than work for what they want or need... so if you were a criminal... would you hike 10 miles over rough, rocky terrain on the "off chance" you would encounter somebody whose ramen you could steal?? Or would you stay close to town, where there were plenty of cars and houses and stores where you were guaranteed to find something to take?

Same thing on the personal assault idea. Why would anybody hike miles and miles through the forest (which most people are scared of anyhow) just in case there was somebody around to hurt? And somebody who was truly psychotic couldn't even get organized to do something like that anyhow!

Personally, I do permit my kids to hike out ahead of me (the 8 year old has to stay with an older kid). It's almost impossible to get lost on the AT, and we just set up scheduled meetups so I can stay satisfied that they're okay. I find that backpackers tend to be good folks, generally speaking, and are almost always super-nice to and interested in my kids. Meeting the different hikers is one of the highpoints of our trips! We have, a few times, encountered folks who smoked (fill in the blank) but usually they are very discreet about it.

HTH and have fun!

Jane in CT

ynot
06-06-2007, 07:59
Thanks. I just needed reassurance. I don't even think I'm going tell the family. If this 1 week trip works out. I can inform them of my longer section hike w/ the kids if and when I decide it's feasible to go. I already picked my start date and am ready to go!!!! Can't wait.

Jeff
06-06-2007, 09:43
This was a great article on a hiking family!!!! http://www.aldha.org/witcher.htm

ynot
06-06-2007, 09:51
I read it. Did you see how much weight they lost?! The AT looks like an excellent weight loss plan. It was a family though. If my husband wanted to do the AT w/ us-I wouldn't come up against any interference. Being a female sucks sometimes. I don't want to walk the mall-I want to go outside!!

sarbar
06-06-2007, 10:23
Being a female sucks sometimes. I don't want to walk the mall-I want to go outside!!

So go! Having a husband and kids doesn't mean you have to give up your dreams, you just modify them! And so what if he doesn't like the outdoors...leave him at home! If he punishes you for going, then he has issues of his own. Take the kids and go do your thing with them. The kids will always have memories of being on the trail, not at home watching you be miserable :)
(Off soap box......)

scothiker
06-06-2007, 11:27
Ynot - go for it!! As I said in my earlier post, my friend has no qualms about taking her kids with her, alone, and she has never had a problem. She does observe basic safety rules - be aware, don't be too chatty about where you will be ending for the night, don't tent near roads which offer easy access to the trail. Have a great hike!!

ynot
06-06-2007, 13:15
My husband is very excited for me...it's just those older women. I am in essence giving him one heck of a vacation! Thanks though guys.

sarbar
06-06-2007, 20:31
Ynot, if this helps....recently a couple months ago I met a lady at a class I was teaching part of. She came up to me with questions after, and I told her that I never minded emails, and gave her my address. We emailed a couple times, and she lives in the same part of my state. So I invited her to join our hiking group, and to come. She is in her mid 40's and came on her first real backpacking trip, and brought her 9 year old son. I made sure her first trip was easy (5 miles, flat) and she had a great time. We helped her set up, taught her skills, etc.
Last weekend she went on backpacking trip #2 in Olympic NP with two of us ladies. We got her to hike nearly 12 miles the first day, and showed her a good time. She had a great weekend, and was all smiles afterwards :D
And that is what makes me smile-seeing other women say "Hey! This is great! I can do it! I can take the kids or not and backpack" :)

I hope you have a great time!

gsingjane
06-07-2007, 14:30
Sarbar, I love hearing stories like this. This is one of the reasons I am a Girl Scout leader ... there's nothing more fun than hearing a girl say, "wow, this camping stuff is fun!" which I heard last weekend several times during the camporee for 120 girls that I helped to put on. It's just so satisfying and fun to see other girls and women find out that they, too, can enjoy being outdoors and learning the skills and techniques. And, hey, you gotta love those dough babies!!!

Jane in CT

sarbar
06-07-2007, 15:24
Very much so :) What she said caught my ear...her family had run a inner city wilderness program and she never went on the hikes because she assumed she couldn't do it! She didn't think she could hike 10 miles.
And we proved she could :)

Mr. Clean
06-09-2007, 10:35
I've heard as a rule of thumb, kids can hike their age in miles each day. That leaves me out for a while as mine are 1 and 3. Hope you have a great time; sounds like you have the right attitude for it. Just go with the flow.

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:06
pack extra clothes, more boo-boo 1st stuff than you'd think you'd want and plenty of chocolate...let junior set the pace and stop often to look at bugs and weird plants. you'll have a blast!

Pennsylvania Rose
08-15-2007, 10:54
Just ran across this. I hope you got to go on your hike. I talk about my kids in a LOT of my posts. I've been hiking alone with my kids since they were born and taking them backpacking by myself since they were old enough to carry some of their own stuff. I think I took my oldest out by myself when they were 5 and 6. They're 16 and 14 1/2 now and the three of us are planning to thru together in a few years. My 13 1/2 yo stepdaughter started going with us about 3 years ago. And now my 6 yo stepdaughter and 5 yo son join us. We usually go backpacking twice a year for 3-6 nights at a stretch. We car camp and dayhike all the time. At this poing my oldest could pretty much go on his own. My ex (who I met on the AT), my husband, and his ex (who are both non-hikers) all trust that I know what I'm doing, and know that I'll use common sense when it comes to mileage and safety. 99% of the people we've met have been great. That's a lot more than in everyday life. I feel that all the time we've spent together depending on each other with no modern distractions has brought us closer together. Although I'm still "Mom", and officially in charge, I have a deep friendship with and respect for my teenagers.

JAK
08-15-2007, 11:20
I did 3 days on the Fundy Footpath with my 7 year old daughter. I carried everything and she led the way. 9 km first day. Rugged 10 km next day. 19km all the way back on day 3, finishing at midnight in the rain. Yeah she missed he mum, but she kept going. Like me she was more interested in the hiking than the camping, so she kept us moving. Best hiking partner ever.

Brought a great short story which we read at night and during stops.
http://www.amazon.ca/Micmac-Stories-Ruth-Holmes-Whitehead/dp/0919680356

My advice is one day at a time, and remind yourself and your kids that the woods are what is truly real. It is our civilization and every day lives that are pure fabrication. Learn about what is real from what is real, not from what is not.

weary
08-15-2007, 14:33
My two boys hiked most of Maine AT between the ages of 6 and 12 in weekend and three and four day walks. The youngest began backpacking at age 3 1/4. but only about 3.5 miles each way. He walked the whole way with a light pack -- the latter not because I insisted, but he insisted since his older brother and sister, ages 4 and 6, had packs.

A nine-year old grandson did most of Maine in a month-long excursion, and at age 11 did 600 miles or so on the AT from Harpers Ferry north.

The key, as others have said, is to let the kids set the pace -- and never urge them to go faster -- except perhaps to reach shelter before dark or pending severe storms.

Weary

buckowens
08-16-2007, 19:54
Yeah she missed he mum, but she kept going. Like me she was more interested in the hiking than the camping, so she kept us moving. Best hiking partner ever.

My advice is one day at a time, and remind yourself and your kids that the woods are what is truly real. It is our civilization and every day lives that are pure fabrication. Learn about what is real from what is real, not from what is not.

Jak,

I am with you on your post. My daughter Roo is great on the trail, and is pretty tough as well. We did a couple of days in the rain and I told her she complained less than many soldiers I know would have!! More outside and less inside is the ticket!!!:banana

Tennessee Viking
08-16-2007, 23:42
I have seen fathers & sons, mothers & daughters, grandparents and grandkids.

As long as the kids love the outdoors, camping, long hikes, and love getting dirty, they will love it.

But if your kids are...ARE WE THERE YET / MY FEET & BACK HURT type, dont take them.

dixicritter
08-17-2007, 07:39

As long as the kids love the outdoors, camping, long hikes, and love getting dirty, they will love it.

But if your kids are...ARE WE THERE YET / MY FEET & BACK HURT type, dont take them.

I'm sorry but I've got to disagree with your last statement here. Reason being is my 9 year old does love the outdoors but also does get bored with just walking the trail at times and wants to stop. You have to take the child's needs into account and build breaks into the hike to accommodate the kids, not just try to pound out the miles when you have kids along.

Also another trick, which is one Rock and I used this past weekend with him, is to get them thinking about something else while you're walking. We were walking along talking about bears and Creek Hopper decided that bears only eat things that start with the letter "B". So for a while we were all trying to come up with things that started with "B" that bears would eat. The list was quite funny at times. Things like butter, my mom's dog named bear, blowfish, etc. You get the idea.

Hey it stopped his complaining and took his mind off wanting to quit hiking for a while. :D

Gray Blazer
08-17-2007, 07:44
Hey it stopped his complaining and took his mind off wanting to quit hiking for a while. :D

A whole 5 minutes at least, right? ;) When I was a kid, I liked to go ahead of my folks, hide on top of some huge rocks, or whatever and let them walk past and then stalk them. I'm lucky, all my kids love to hike and now my job is to train the grandkids.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-17-2007, 08:00
You have to take the child's needs into account and build breaks into the hike to accommodate the kids, not just try to pound out the miles when you have kids along.

Also another trick, which is one Rock and I used this past weekend with him, is to get them thinking about something else while you're walking.

I agree. We like to stop by creeks where the kids can hunt for crayfish, salamanders, and minnows and throw rocks. When the little ones get tired, but we have to keep hiking, we sing songs like "the ants go marching"; line up to make a train and chant "I think I can"; compete to find as many different flowers, leaves, etc. as we can; look for pretty pebbles or acorns to collect; tell stories with the kids as the heros; or talk about their favorite subjects (this has included a detailed account of Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles, their friends at school, and the attributes of all the Disney Princesses). It's kind of like a long road trip - you'll come up with anything to keep things peaceful.

The thing that really gets me, though, is that same exhausted, complaining child ALWAYS finds a second wind when we get to camp when I'm ready to just sit.

buckowens
08-17-2007, 08:08
I'm sorry but I've got to disagree with your last statement here. Reason being is my 9 year old does love the outdoors but also does get bored with just walking the trail at times and wants to stop. You have to take the child's needs into account and build breaks into the hike to accommodate the kids, not just try to pound out the miles when you have kids along.

Dixie,

I agree with you. Roo and I stopped once and she fell asleep. The kid that emerged from that sleep was refreshed and ready to go. That was Standard Operating from that point on, and every day after lunch she would take a nap. She then had no problem hiking on until the evening if need be.

We also began playing the question game where we would each ask a question. Such as "have you ever had another girlfriend before Mom". I had to shut that line of questioning down when she got specific as to numbers and the kissing thing!!:D

sarbar
08-19-2007, 22:31

I have always said to Ford "you can whine all you want...as long as you keep moving".

This past spring we were on a trip with another boy (same age as Ford) who hadn't backpacked before. He started whining bad about 1/2 a mile into the hike (it was a 4 1/2 mile mostly flat hike). It was the worst whining I have ever heard on trail-and this kid kept stopping, etc. The problem was the kid felt defeated, that Ford was having no issues hiking. I figured that out fast and sent everyone else on ahead, and let the kid and his mom have a quiet time. Once the competition was gone.....the kid did good. He just couldn't hike as fast as Ford and the others.

In camp? The two had a blast and ran around all night.....

gsingjane
08-20-2007, 07:19
I really like this idea, "you can whine all you want, just keep moving." It's hard to listen to the whining but as long as progress is being made, I can see where it would be tolerable. Thanks!

Another thing I do sometimes, since my 12 yo daughter is a chatterbox and I prefer silence, is institute "talk free" intervals. (I tell her it's so we have a better chance of seeing animals.) I'll time out 30 minutes or whatever and so I have at least that time to think without discussions of Hannah Montana's 2nd CD, whether Zac Efron really lipsynced, and why I couldn't bring my video iPod.

Jane in CT

dixicritter
08-20-2007, 08:09
We have a rule on hikes.... no discussing video games, otherwise the boys would drive us nuts talking about those constantly. I feel your pain Jane! :)

sarbar
08-20-2007, 09:22
Ford is an asperger child.......sooooo....lets just the boy talks from wake up time to go to bed time. A long time ago I realized to keep peace I'd make concessions.
And that was: as long as he hiked the miles I asked him to, his Gameboy (now his Nintendo-whatever-dad-upgraded-him-to) came along. It allowed me to put him in the tent at night so I could have an hour or so to myself with other adults. It also relaxs him. He is required to have the sound very low or off.
And if I am in the tent with him, and it is raining or whatever? At a certain point I put my headphones on and listen to my IPod for 30 minutes or so, so I can have quiet time.
Oh yeah, he would talk video games all day as well. That is a ground rule-I don't want to hear about them.

But I guess my point is, if the kids do what you ask of them, let them have a little of civilazation....it might not be what you desire, but it lets them relax in their way. Hiking isn't easy for most kids.

gsingjane
08-20-2007, 10:33
I totally agree with you on this one. I don't let my son bring a GameBoy, but I do permit my daughter to bring her iPod and listen to it, as long as I can't hear it (first I hate that sound and second I can't imagine what that does to her hearing!). On another, now-defunct backpacking board, I got trashed for this, on the theory that if I'd properly taught my kids an appreciation of and love for nature, they wouldn't need electronics, but I guess I just stand corrected. You are totally right that hiking isn't easy for most kids, yours and mine do better than 99.9% of the kids out there just to be hiking and dealing all the time, and if they want their little bit of luxury or preteen stuff, I'd have to be a real zealot to say no.

We don't talk video games anymore, because my son developed a serious WoW dependence (a subject for another time and board) and I found that talking about it just fed the addiction. But his was a very serious case, his gaming was out of control and we had to go to cold turkey mode. I really think I would rather listen to someone discuss their digestive problems than hear about level 70 mages and guildies and loot!

Jane in CT

sarbar
08-20-2007, 11:57
Lol...yeah, I agree. I HATE hearing about video games! AGH! I'd rather clean grout.....

On another hiking board full of people with foggy memories, I got blasted once by a bunch of them over the Gameboy...according to them they all had a fire every night and sang songs and talked about the day with their kids. Uhhuh. Of course I am sure if their kids had had IPods back then they'd have loved getting away from their parents :D