PDA

View Full Version : Best Boots/Insoles for ROCKS

DaBlazer
06-05-2007, 12:49
My feet get extremely sore from rocky A.T. terrain (like PA). Any suggestions for boots and/or inserts to help with rocks?

Jaybird
06-05-2007, 13:17
My feet get extremely sore from rocky A.T. terrain (like PA). Any suggestions for boots and/or inserts to help with rocks?

havent hiked in PA, yet...but, my feet hurt after a couple weeks of pounding no matter if i'm in my Vasque Sundowners or my Vasque Velocity trailrunners...i just head to the local outfitters & get some Gel padded inserts!

Good luck with your hike.:D

DavidNH
06-05-2007, 15:43
well.. I would suggest sturdy hiking boots as opposed to the sneakers or running shoes that many AT hikers seem to wear. The extra support and padding is worth it to me.

As for insoles.. I would go with spenco or at least something padded and spongy to absorb the shock. Many like superfeet but to me those are little more than torture devices.

saimyoji
06-05-2007, 18:44
Tevas. Can't beat em in the summer. 'Course, some of have been out there sharpenin them rocks all winter.....:rolleyes:

PA rocks ain't nothing. Wait till you get to NH.

lfotto
06-15-2007, 11:53
I use EMS Summit IIs which have lasted great even through the scree and rocks I went through in the Boulder Chain Lakes in Idaho. (Part of the White Clouds Peaks area)

Footslogger
06-15-2007, 12:01
Someone mentioned this earlier, but the key is a stout outsole. Really doesn't matter much whether it's a boot or a trail shoe. You need a thick rigid sole with some shock absorbing EVA Foam between it and the bottom surface of your feet.

Honestly speaking, inserts and insoles don't really do that much to cushion the underside of the foot. If they are really soft to the touch they collapse under the weight of your foot, especially with the added weight of a backpack. Plus, the extra cushiony insoles actually can contribute to an unstable plant of the foot and foot movement during your stride.

'Slogger

gumball
06-15-2007, 14:49
I did my best hiking over the pa rocks in trail runners. My feet were lighter and I was able to maneuver across the rocks much more agile-y that I had done before with boots. In a heavier boot, the weight of the boot smacking my foot down on the hard rock always gave me blisters. No blisters in trail runners.

Personal preference--and Footslogger is right, the outsole of whatever you choose is important. My runners have adiprene and are pretty sturdy. gum

Marta
06-15-2007, 15:17
I wore trail runners with two pairs of insoles in PA. This was suggested by the outfitter near DWG. It worked great.

I second the notion that trail runners work well on rocks--just pay attention to where you place your feet.

Marta/Five-Leaf

UnkaJesse
06-17-2007, 09:00
I frequently fly out to the Rockies to hike. I hike in Asolo GTX 250's with Superfeet insoles. I've tried the soft insoles with miserable results. I think the combination of a rigid outsole and sturdy insoles work for me. I used to have trouble with the bottoms of my feet over rocks and under heavy load. This solved both problems for me.

You will have to test drive something for yourself and reach your own conclusion.