PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Ursack dry

wilconow
06-06-2007, 14:59
For those who use an ursack, what do you to use to keep it dry? I know you can wrap whats inside in waterproof sacks/odor resistant plastic bags, but what about the outside of the ursack?

kevin
06-06-2007, 19:04
My ursack made its last hiking trip this year...its one of the older green models that I got about 4-5 years ago. I've never worried about keeping it dry, but instead just made sure the food was in a bag inside it. I've used the (supposedly) odorproof bags, but keeping your food in a ziplock would probably be good. Just pull the top drawstring as tight as possible and that will keep most of the water out and then the inner bag should be good for any water that gets in. If you are worried, you could double-bag the inside stuff.

I say that my ursack made its last hiking trip because while it may be bear/critter resistant, it is NOT critterproof. After 4 years of sections and occassional weekend hikes it met its match on the 2nd night of my section this year. While it DID keep the critters from nabbing my food, they managed to get a few holes in the inner bag and into a couple of my food items. I think I'll just go with a regular sack and better hanging in the future.

sarbar
06-06-2007, 20:34
My oldest Ursack (bought 2001, yellow Kevlar) started sucking up water about 3 years ago. I learned to pack a couple grocery sacks in my pack. No weight there at all. At night, I would just toss the bag over the bottom of the Ursack. Also worked in keeping my pack clean from a dirty Ursack.
My newest Ursack ( a green model from right before they did the Vectran switch) hasn't had an issue yet with water. But if in wet areas, I'll use my grocery sacks ;)

stumpy
06-07-2007, 08:53
I keep my sack dry by staying out of waist deep water:eek:

(sorry bad joke)!

bigcranky
06-07-2007, 20:36
I just make sure my food is in ziploc bags and don't worry about it. The Ursack has been hung out in pretty heavy rain, and didn't get much water inside.

Outlaw
06-08-2007, 09:01
I just make sure my food is in ziploc bags and don't worry about it. The Ursack has been hung out in pretty heavy rain, and didn't get much water inside.

But the outside of the (green) Ursack does absorb water. Back when I used a Ursack and I expected rain, I would place it in a 13 gal. tall kitchen trash bag with the open end hanging down.

Now all I use for a bear bag is a silnylon stuff sack which I hang upside down (open end towards the ground) from a tree limb. Of course all my food is in watertight containers, e.g. ziploc bags, original packaging.

wilconow
06-08-2007, 09:39
But the outside of the (green) Ursack does absorb water. .

yeah, that's what i meant. thanks.

Lone Wolf
06-08-2007, 10:11
baby powder with corn starch is good at keeping your sack dry

1azarus
06-08-2007, 10:18
now that's dry wit.

D'Artagnan
06-08-2007, 12:33
baby powder with corn starch is good at keeping your sack dry

I guess great minds think alike (or at least dirty ones). :D

Kerosene
06-08-2007, 14:21
Just convert to a half-ounce silnyl sack, saving yourself 4.5 ounces (off the old yellow Kevlar one) while providing more flexibility to pack stuff around.