PDA

View Full Version : campsites between Darlington Shelter and Boiling Springs

shades of blue
06-06-2007, 16:00
I'm starting a long distance SOBO hike from Duncannon to Erwin on June 14th. The first day out is about 11 miles to Darlington Shelter, but I wanted to hike further if possible. I know that you're not supposed to camp between Darlington and Boiling Springs, but does anyone know a stealth camp area for a hammock about 14 to 16 miles south of Duncannon?

ShakeyLeggs
06-06-2007, 20:04
There are quite a few spots you could stealth hammock through the valley but I would not recomend it as you are in very close proximity to people and homes in that section and they are pretty rabid about the no camping rule. But if you are very careful you can pull it off. YMMV

wpbucher
06-07-2007, 09:18
Why don't you camp at Scott Farm...then you only need to deal with the ATC's rule that you can't camp there...rather than encroaching on someone who is not a member of the hiker community.

Why don't the rules apply to you? You are the reason many people oppose hiking trails, rail trails, etc. They know that no matter what provisions/rules are made someone is going to think they don't apply to them.

If you wish to respect the Cumberland Valley crossing there are plenty of motels at Route 11.

shades of blue
06-07-2007, 21:11
There are many different rules, and not all make sense. However, this one does and I had already decided to follow the rule. Thanks though for taking me to task. By the way, there are several reasons for me wanting to break up that long section and you don't know me at all, so...don't tell me "I am the reason many people oppose hiking trails". You make judgements based on one post..have you read my others..or my journals? Something to think about before you judge a person (I know, you must know everything so I must be the scum of the hiking community)

rafe
06-07-2007, 21:53
Wpbucher, I must speak up in defense of shades of blue. He's a gentleman and a fine hiker, and treated me kindly when we met. You've misjudged the man.

alanthealan
06-09-2007, 13:37
I tried the Scott farm idea, even timed it so that I arrived at dusk.... I ended up night hiking out of the valley. It is a sensitive area and many people have worked to ensure that the AT has a place meander through the Cumberland Valley. It would be a shame to see their efforts gone to waste due to a careless few. There is a reason it's a long stretch from shelter to shelter we just have to plan around it. There are many pressures in the valley, trucking terminals, housing projects and neighborhood relations. Walking a few extra miles seems trivial.

shades of blue
06-09-2007, 20:32
I noticed that you thru hiked 2005, what was your summit date? Mine was Aug 18th, a beautiful day.

I had forgotten a lot of the valley, except that it was hot and long. I didn't realize that the corridor was so narrow in that area. I wouldn't ever want to cause problems with locals, and I'm very big on LNT, so I'll either stop at Darlington, or hike to Carslile, depending on time and my condition.

Lyle
06-09-2007, 21:07
So what is the reason that the locals are so decidedly against camping, even at Scott Farm? I've been told they do not even want the ATC to purchase additional land for such a use. The only exception was Boiling Springs.

Anyone know?

ShakeyLeggs
06-10-2007, 01:32
Years ago when the AT was taken off the road (used to be called the Cumberland Valley Road Walk) a number of the owners of the property that the trail was slated to cross were against it. The ATC and forest service had to implement Eminent Domain on a few of the properties thus making a few land owners mad. They fought it and had legislation enacted for no camping and to be a good neighbor the ATC agreed to the no camping rule. There long story short. At least as far as my memory goes this is what happened.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2007, 07:13
sleeping and camping are 2 different things. i always sleep in the field just past the boiling springs ATC

wpbucher
06-17-2007, 17:35
Here is an article from a local paper that speaks to the anti-hiker sentiment in the Cumberland Valley...and efforts to protect trails.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2007/06/09/news/news730.txt

alanthealan
06-19-2007, 22:10
yep, Shades -game 2005 oct 6th

shades of blue
06-22-2007, 10:43
I hiked the Cumberland Valley according to the rules. :sun