PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah National Park Suggestions

joburnet
06-06-2007, 20:25
I'm taking some friends of mine on a week long trip to Shenandoah National Park and I'm looking for some suggestions on which part to do. We are looking to take it very easy as some people are very beginners so we are looking at 6-8 miles a day and one day off for doing whatever. What do you guys suggest for a 35 mile hike and where to stop, hopefully in the middle.

jlb2012
06-07-2007, 07:54
Hazel Country is probably your best choice - fairly easy hiking for the most part (some butt kicking grades but most grades are mild) - Hazel Country is in the northern part of the central district on the east of Skyline Drive.

Another possibility would be in the south district - Jones Run, Doyle River, Big Run area with a day off at Loft Mtn.

BlackCloud
06-07-2007, 09:35
So. District is the best, while Central & No. Districts are probably easier, if you're talking AT.

Not that 6 miles a day anywhere in that park outside of Whiteoak Canyon is difficult.

joburnet
06-07-2007, 14:03
Thanks for the info, I think it's best if I go hike it before the group goes. If it's just me I should be able to do it in one weekend. Any ideas on the nicest looking part of SNP, the part with the best views?

jlb2012
06-07-2007, 15:49
best views - probably south district

Skyline
06-18-2007, 10:05
I would consider the Central District, especially if you're looking for views and want to take it easy.

You get good views from a point just south of Pocosin Cabin, eastward from near Bearfence, westward just north of the high point of Hazeltop Mt., westward from several places near Big Meadows Lodge, access to the highest point in all of SNP (Hawksbill Summit), several outcrops north of Fishers Gap, Stony Man Summit, Little Stony Man, Mary's Rock, and more.

It's easy to take it easy in the Central District. There are campstores, campgrounds, showers, laundry, lodges, cabins, restaurants, etc. near the AT here. As your group becomes more experienced they may wish to avoid some of these places but for first-timers they help the transition from city to backcountry.

Visit Mountain and Valley Shuttle Services (www.mvshuttle.com) if you need more info especially logistics, seek transportation, etc.

K0OPG
06-23-2007, 08:27
Shoot all the tourists in their RV's stinking up the place???