PDA

View Full Version : Hiking suggestion

Bonjour
06-07-2007, 22:08
All of our AT experience has been in N.C., Tenn. and VA. My wife and I will be in the Boston area this summer and would like to backpack about a week somewhere in the Northeast on the AT. I'm a bit concerned that the Whites would be too rigorous. We are mid 50's but in good shape and would do about 10 miles per day. Does anyone have suggestions of good section in that part of the world? Mass. VT, NH? Thanks.

rafe
06-07-2007, 22:20
All of our AT experience has been in N.C., Tenn. and VA. My wife and I will be in the Boston area this summer and would like to backpack about a week somewhere in the Northeast on the AT. I'm a bit concerned that the Whites would be too rigorous. We are mid 50's but in good shape and would do about 10 miles per day. Does anyone have suggestions of good section in that part of the world? Mass. VT, NH? Thanks.

Where do you want to start? The Whites are tough, but 10 miles a day isn't unreasonable if you're in good shape. Knock it down to 8 (mpd) and you're golden. You can go anywhere.

The AT has the ridges and the best views, but there are literally hundreds or thousands of "lesser" trails that will provide greater solitude and more relaxed camping opportunities. Flowing rivers and waterfalls abound.

There's a highway that runs the 45 miles or so east-west between Lincoln, and Conway NH; it's called the Kancamagus Highway (Rte. 112.) I drove it twice (once in each direction) last weekend and I was (once again) amazed at the number of trailheads, on both sides of the road. The trails on the south side of the road lead up to the Passaconaway ridge, with excellent views of Lake Winnipesaukee to the south. Summits on that side include Osceola, Tripyramid, Passaconaway, Chocorua. The trails on the north side of the road lead into the Pemigewasset Wilderness, with summits like Hancock, Carrigain, Bond Cliffs, etc. From the Pemi wilderness, you could hitch up to the A.T. for part of your hike.

It's all good. PM me if you'd like further ideas. This only scratches the surface.