PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Schedule

TJ aka Teej
09-30-2003, 23:13
http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/prog03.pdf

If you want to plan a meet-up, there are 'lunch hours' that have no events scheduled. You could plan to meet, say, at half past noon in the middle of the quad on Saturday or Sunday, at the campfire or dance Saturday night, or maybe all pick a certain slide show or talk to attend.
And I know it feels a bit geeky to wear name tags, but it's a great way to spot folks you know but don't recognize at first!

chris
10-01-2003, 16:43
Egad! The schedule says no drinking at the campground! What madman is in charge of this thing?

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2003, 09:08
Originally posted by chris
Egad! The schedule says no drinking at the campground! What madman is in charge of this thing?

http://www.aldha.org/drinking.htm
It was news to me too, Chris.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2003, 09:13
Don't worry. The real hiker trash drunks know how to do it clandestinely. Me? I'm just a drinker with a hiking problem.

ga>me>ak
10-02-2003, 09:15
I thought it said no drinking at the meetings, but Storr's campground allowed it. They were just discouraging any drinking at either place. Did I miss read this?

chris
10-02-2003, 09:22
It looks like they just don't want you to drink at the campground, but you can do so anyways. I remember seeing a sign at the Folk Life center saying no drinking and so promptly put my tallboys in a paper sack. It seemed this was more precaution than most took. Asking folks not to drink at the Gathering is like asking hikers not to crap in the woods.

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2003, 10:00
"ALDHA is not the police department. Despite this, we have the obligation to police ourselves and to be cognizant of how our actions may very well intrude on someone else’s experience. With that being said, ALDHA discourages drinking at the Gathering … PERIOD.

This includes camping areas, events, shows, the parking areas and campfires."

I think this is a bit over the top. But that being said, I wasn't there last October. I don't go to the southern Gatherings, but whatever went on down there must've been pretty bad to rate a response like this. The forecast looks like coffee/hot chocolate weather anyways, so no big deal.

chris
10-02-2003, 10:22
There wasn't a ruckus or any bad behavior. I think there was just some trash left around. Someone stole an ALDHA sign, I think. Cold weather is good for lots of drinks other than cold beer. But, I'll still have a few tallboys in my trunk.

warren doyle
10-02-2003, 17:50
Be forewarned, that if Gathering 2004 is held at Pipestem, WV/Concord College and if drinking alcohol is part of your Gathering experience you will not be welcome at all to camp at the folklife center. You will have a choice to make - if you have to drink alcohol you will find a campsite someplace else other than the folklife center (there are several places down on the New River).
The Gathering is not Damascus Trail Days and never will be. If this disappoints or angers some people, then so be it. You can form your own organization ( perhaps ALDHDA - Appalachian Long Distance Hikers and Drinkers Association) and have your own gatherings.

smokymtnsteve
10-02-2003, 23:25
Isn't the ALDHDA..Lone wolf's group...seeems I made one of thier gathering and they were having a pretty good time!!!
I always thought they were they real gatherings....and backpackers.:D

ga>me>ak
10-03-2003, 09:51
smokymtnsteve
Are you going to the Gathering this year?

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 11:13
no....but I am going to hike a couple weeks this month

chris
10-03-2003, 12:28
You can probably do both. I missed you by a few hours at Spence Field recently. Too bad. You would have been one of the few whiteblaze people that I've actually met in person.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 13:13
from spence I headed on south and spent the night at mollies...

did you pick any of the blueberries that were ready at spence???

walked on from there to GA...thinking about heading up toward erwin and hiking over roan mtn and checking out the "new" Greasy Gap friendly...the moon is growing and I love to hike and howl on the full growing moon....I'm a lunar-tic!

attroll
10-05-2003, 00:31
Man, after looking at the Gathering schedule I have seen a couple of meetings that I want to attend. But I have a problem. Some of them are at the same time. What am I to do?

attroll
10-05-2003, 13:02
Did anyone ever decide if we were going to meet up and get together? TJ aka Teej said “You could plan to meet, say, at half past noon in the middle of the quad on Saturday or Sunday, at the campfire or dance Saturday night, or maybe all pick a certain slide show or talk to attend.”

I am just asking again because I have not read anything more about it. I don’t know anyone on WhiteBlaze personally. I would not know anyone if I saw them.

ga>me>ak
10-06-2003, 06:02
Maybe noon SAt/Sun, campfire, and as you mentioned, the name tag. Maybe on the tag your name, whiteblaze name, And some reference to Whiteblaze? Also thought about a whiteblaze sign in your car window so as you walk around you might see some blazers. Be a shame to not meet some of you!

chris
10-06-2003, 08:49
I'll be wearing a name tag, but can't commit to a organized meeting. I just want to play things by ear. I'll keep my eyes open for people and try to say hi when I see a familiar name.

By the way, my name tag may say Suge or Sugarmonkey, but I'll try to write chris in also.

attroll
10-06-2003, 11:52
I have never been to one of these. You put your trail name on your name tag right? If that is the case I guess I would put Troll.

chris
10-06-2003, 11:56
Yeah, you write your name down. The people here know me as chris. The people on the PCT know me as something else. So, I may have to put down as many as 4 names on my badge.