PDA

View Full Version : Ants: food storage solutions?

funbun
06-08-2007, 18:06
What do you guys do/use to keep ants away?

I just got back from a camp out. When I woke up this morning ants had taken over my yogurt covered almonds and the bite valve on my water bladder.

mweinstone
06-08-2007, 18:14
ants are protein.

DavidNH
06-08-2007, 20:06
I hiked the whole trail and never thought ants were a problem. What ants?

David

funbun
06-08-2007, 20:11
So you guys just eat ants?

I'm not talking about the AT, btw.

Egads
06-08-2007, 20:39
hike faster than them:cool:

funbun
06-08-2007, 21:06
Is was at night while I was alseep.

Appalachian Tater
06-08-2007, 21:37
You were very lucky. Ants can eat you overnight and leave just your skeleton.

Next time, crunch up one of the yoghurt-covered almonds and sprinkle it about. That will keep them busy and out of your foodbag.

Unfortunately, it will also attract bears. Don't worry about the bears, they are scared of the ants, too. Sometimes ants even use yoghurt-covered almonds to set a trap to catch a bear to eat.

As far as the ants on your water bladder valve, they were probably excreting a psycho-active substance similar to LSD. Make sure you wash it very well prior to use. Fortunately, ants rarely transmit disease.

Chocolate- or yoghurt-covered ants are delicious. Try setting a trap for them by pretending to be asleep. When they start eating you, take your tweezers and drop them into a titanium mug full of melted chocolate. If you want them yoghurt-covered, you will have to order yoghurt-enrobing mix. Here is one source: http://www.rogersfoods.com.au/index.html?c_id=8 .

Lone Wolf
06-08-2007, 21:44

I just got back from a camp out. When I woke up this morning ants had taken over my yogurt covered almonds and the bite valve on my water bladder.

keep all your food in your tent while you sleep

Egads
06-08-2007, 22:49
ATater,

Have mercy, ILMAO.:D

What U smokin?:cool:

aaroniguana
06-08-2007, 23:04
keep all your food in your tent while you sleep

At least he didn't say to keep all your foodin your sleepingbag while you sleep...

Frosty
06-08-2007, 23:16

I just got back from a camp out. When I woke up this morning ants had taken over my yogurt covered almonds and the bite valve on my water bladder.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiningen_Versus_the_Ants

fiddlehead
06-09-2007, 00:19
We have lots of ants in Thailand and they used to bother me but never seemed to bother my wife too much (she's Thai)
We hang most food in plastic bags to keep them off but are not bothered by a few. Ants are protein and they really don't care about eating a few although the red ones will hurt and they will pinch off and eat only the back as the front is where the bite comes from of course.
Enjoy them, how many times in your life will you be able to eat the wildlife with gusto.

Toolshed
06-09-2007, 09:15
:D :D ROTFLMAO!! This is the funniest hread I have read in a looooooooong time!!!!!!! :D :D

You were very lucky. Ants can eat you overnight and leave just your skeleton.

Next time, crunch up one of the yoghurt-covered almonds and sprinkle it about. That will keep them busy and out of your foodbag.

Unfortunately, it will also attract bears. Don't worry about the bears, they are scared of the ants, too. Sometimes ants even use yoghurt-covered almonds to set a trap to catch a bear to eat.

As far as the ants on your water bladder valve, they were probably excreting a psycho-active substance similar to LSD. Make sure you wash it very well prior to use. Fortunately, ants rarely transmit disease.

Chocolate- or yoghurt-covered ants are delicious. Try setting a trap for them by pretending to be asleep. When they start eating you, take your tweezers and drop them into a titanium mug full of melted chocolate. If you want them yoghurt-covered, you will have to order yoghurt-enrobing mix. Here is one source: http://www.rogersfoods.com.au/index.html?c_id=8 .