PDA

View Full Version : Mason/Dixon Line? These people think not!

Yahtzee
06-08-2007, 22:00
Interesting link. And one that is definitely a demarcation pt. for southern hikers.

http://eightoverfive.com/SweetTea.swf

Proceed to experiment and click on Sweet Tea Line for the "real" boundary between the North and South.

Swiss Roll
06-09-2007, 08:22
Interesting site and probably as good of a border marker as any other system. The thing that bugs me is that more and more restaurants down here (Huntsville, AL-definitely the south) do not serve sweet tea. These are your cosmopolitan, hoity-toity places that seem to want to distance themselves from anything that is considered southern. To them, sweet tea=southern=unsophisticated bumpkins. It is very irritating to me as I like good food and I am a conissuer (sp) of sweet tea.

oldfivetango
06-09-2007, 08:37
You forgot to mention that we southernors are the last group
left which is exempt from "political correctness" as it pertains
to public comedic ridicule.I cannot wait until the Geico Cavemen
get their own show.I bet they will have southern accents-time will
tell.Incidentally,I like sweet tea but not the "pancake syrup" that most
restaurants are serving which they masquerade as properly sweetened tea.
Oldfivetango

RockyBob
06-09-2007, 10:07
Interesting set up. It has always been the debate in the Richmond Va area that you were not really in the South until you were South of the James River. Those of us who lived in the area South of Richmond always advocated that you wern't in the South until you were South of the Appomatox River.

SteveJ
06-09-2007, 10:26
Interesting set up. It has always been the debate in the Richmond Va area that you were not really in the South until you were South of the James River. Those of us who lived in the area South of Richmond always advocated that you wern't in the South until you were South of the Appomatox River.

<thread swerve>.....and those of us who grew up in Alabama always said that Atlanta, GA and the entire state of FL were controlled by yankees, and shouldn't be considered southern entities! now that I live in the Atlanta area, I can confirm that! <back to topic> - and most of the hoity toity restaurants downtown don't serve sweet tea!

TDale
06-09-2007, 10:32
If the sweet tea line is being decided by McD's then we're in a sad state.

Frosty
06-09-2007, 10:36
Interesting site and probably as good of a border marker as any other system. The thing that bugs me is that more and more restaurants down here (Huntsville, AL-definitely the south) do not serve sweet tea. These are your cosmopolitan, hoity-toity places that seem to want to distance themselves from anything that is considered southern. To them, sweet tea=southern=unsophisticated bumpkins. It is very irritating to me as I like good food and I am a conissuer (sp) of sweet tea.This is a northern's point of view, but couldn't you just order a glass of unsweetened tea and a five pound bag of sugar?

chief
06-09-2007, 12:31
Frosty, that would be akin to ordering instant coffee. Please!

Moon Monster
06-09-2007, 12:50
Nice site. Several local places serve sweet tea in the Baltimore area. I've found it off and on in Pennsylvania, too. I agree that McDonalds is not the best way to do the experiment, though it may be the most convenient. Bojangles and Chic-Fil-A have brought sweet tea north of Virginia. But, the local diners, greasy spoons, and barbecue joints are the best data.

I was shocked that the Home Place Restaurant in Catawba, VA of all places did not have sweet tea when I was thru in '03. They had pitchers of lemonade and unsweetened tea. That really surprised me considering the vibe of the rest of the place.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-09-2007, 13:29
Its not the south till there are at least 2 waffle houses in sight of each other.

TDale
06-09-2007, 13:32
Just so all you heathens know, pre-sweetened tea is a modern contrivance. Proper sweet tea is sweetened by the glass.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/IcedTeaHistory.htm

Swiss Roll
06-09-2007, 15:26
"Just so all you heathens know, pre-sweetened tea is a modern contrivance. Proper sweet tea is sweetened by the glass."

Have to part ways with you there, bro. I can stir till I'm blue in the face and the sugar will not dissolve fully in cold tea. That's why it always amazes me when I ask for sweet tea in a southern restaurant and the waitress says (with just a hint of condescension,) "Our tea is unsweetened, we have sugar on the table." Hello? Did I just get teleported to New York City? 90% of the people down here drink it that way and it's like I asked for Earl Grey himself to pour me a glass. I mean, has she never attempted to stir sugar in cold tea? Is she from another planet? How hard is is to dump a bag of Dominoes into vat just after it is brewed?:eek:

"Its not the south till there are at least 2 waffle houses in sight of each other."

So where is the Waffle House Line? :confused:

smokymtnsteve
06-09-2007, 15:42
Just so all you heathens know, pre-sweetened tea is a modern contrivance. Proper sweet tea is sweetened by the glass.

uin must be a transplant southerner...REAL "southern table table wine" as we'ns call it is asweettened rite after it is boiled,,along witha little bakin sody added during the boilin, the tea should be dark black color not that washed out lookin stuff Uins git nowadays,

and the po-tater salit should be mashed,

TDale
06-09-2007, 15:43
How hard is is to dump a bag of Dominoes into vat just after it is brewed?:eek:

Oh, about as hard as it is to but a few drops of mint flavoring in bourbon and call it a mint julep.

;)

Dances with Mice
06-09-2007, 17:24
One Christmas vacation I was in Philadelphia visiting the in-laws and we went out to eat. No place fancy, just a local steak house kind of place. I ordered iced tea.

The waiter said they didn't serve it. I had him repeat that a couple of times because I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

He said it was "seasonal" and it wasn't the right season. I was so surpised to learn that ice and tea had seasons!

Rain Man
06-09-2007, 18:20
Interesting link. And one that is definitely a demarcation pt. for southern hikers...

Well now, fer Southern hikers, you gotta throw in a "grits demarcation line" too, don'tchaknow?!

I still remember the time I travelled into the Yankeeland as a young man and stopped at some eatin' facility along side a HUGE corn field. It wuz breakfast time, and I asked fer grits with my meal. That waitress looked at me like I was stupid and offered me something called "hashbrown potaters" instead. I looked out at the HUGE corn field, imagining all those grits right thar, cogitated and considered that them there potatoes had to be hauled millions of miles from Idaho,... and thought I just might not be the stupid one.

Rain:sunMan

Frosty
06-09-2007, 18:36
You forgot to mention that we southernors are the last group
left which is exempt from "political correctness" as it pertains
to public comedic ridicule.I don't know. White middle-aed men are fair game to be portrayed as ridiculous in TV ads. I've seen a lot of ads that would have caused a public poop-storm if the male-female parts were reversed. Not complaining, just observing. I think the ability to make fun of one's self is one of the basic characteristics of a civilized person.

Also, northerners are taking their lumps in this thread. As well they should :D

Frosty
06-09-2007, 18:40
Well now, fer Southern hikers, you gotta throw in a "grits demarcation line" too, don'tchaknow?!

I still remember the time I travelled into the Yankeeland as a young man and stopped at some eatin' facility along side a HUGE corn field. It wuz breakfast time, and I asked fer grits with my meal. That waitress looked at me like I was stupid and offered me something called "hashbrown potaters" instead. I looked out at the HUGE corn field, imagining all those grits right thar, cogitated and considered that them there potatoes had to be hauled millions of miles from Idaho,... and thought I just might not be the stupid one.So grits are corn, huh? I've had a lot of grits in a lot of southern restaurants, and I cannot tell the difference between them and Cream of Wheat. I suspect you southerners are hauling wheat millions of miles from Minnesota to make your grits.

I've made corn bread and it's yellow.

How come grits aren't if they're really corn and not wheat?

Dances with Mice
06-09-2007, 18:53
I've made corn bread and it's yellow.

How come grits aren't if they're really corn and not wheat?Because...

Grits are made from hominy corn. Hominy grows really tall and is a beautiful plant, you should try some in your garden. I could sell you some seeds....

If you just coarse grind regular corn, you get polenta.

TIDE-HSV
06-09-2007, 20:08
as a fellow Southerner and Huntsvillian, sweet tea is made by adding the sugar while the tea is still boiling for maximum absorption. The idea is to drink it before the sugar precipitates out as the liquid cools. On the grits, I'm an amateur. Although born and bred in the South, I never saw them until I started to college at the University of Alabama...

soad
06-09-2007, 20:16
A Dunkin Donuts here in PA has just started serving sweet tea, it's not bad...I think they brew it unsweetened then add liquified sugar once cooled...it's enough to sustain me until the next time I'm down south...

Also, you know you are in New England when there are 2+ Dunkin Donuts within sight of each other.

smokymtnsteve
06-09-2007, 20:24
su-gee watah,,,good stuff...you melt that suga into yore hot boiled tea and it never percepitates out....

DBT fan
06-09-2007, 20:56
I've not done much traveling in the Virginia area but the somewhere near the middle of Kentucky sweet tea seems a lot harder to find. Once the Ohio River is crossed northward, forget it. For me, most sweet tea in restaurants is just a little too sweet. I usually "cut it" with unsweet.

For my homebrew, I add 2/3 cup sugar to the boiling tea and dilute to a gallon. Sweeting cold tea with sugar doesn't work too well.

As for the grits, add some butter, Velveeta and Tony Chachere's Cajun spice and you're eating high on the ol' proverbial hog.

Moon Monster
06-09-2007, 23:10

From a reader's comment on that site:

"In Canada, sweetened iced tea is the standard and people drink it at almost every meal and year round, like the southern states. No self-respecting Canadian would drink unsweetened iced tea... that's not iced tea, it's just black tea, cold. :P This is why many unsuspecting Canadian tourists have a rude shock in store for them when they order iced tea in a northern state."

Never heard that before. Can any Canadians here speak to this?

strnorm
06-09-2007, 23:31
The only place you will find yellow corn meal is in the north, and you cant make cornbread with yellow corn meal, sweet tea comes off the stove sweetened, not out of a machine..tetley baby:sun

TIDE-HSV
06-10-2007, 00:01
if it doesn't precip out, you ain't added enough sugar... :D

DavidNH
06-10-2007, 00:08
ok guys...sorry to display my ignorance..
but please what is the big deal about sweet tea?

i can go to any supermarket and buy lipton ice tea mix..add enough into the water and voila..very sweat tea. In fact i am almost certain i remember somewhere in virgina someone ordered sweet tea and the waitress just went to the drink machine and got ice tea!

It's kinda like you and your gritz... whoppie. Just go to store and get some good ol oatmeal. not much difference to me.

david

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2007, 00:14

i can go to any supermarket and buy lipton ice tea mix..add enough into the water and voila..very sweat tea. In fact i am almost certain i remember somewhere in virgina someone ordered sweet tea and the waitress just went to the drink machine and got ice tea!

It's kinda like you and your gritz... whoppie. Just go to store and get some good ol oatmeal. not much difference to me.

david

tasteless remark:eek:

Frosty
06-10-2007, 01:59
Grits are made from hominy corn. Hominy grows really tall and is a beautiful plantAnd you get crack corn from a meth lab, right?

Nice try. As I'm sure you know, grits can be made from any grain. Hominy grits are made from corn with the husk and nutritional germ stripped.

I like real oatmeal and real grits, am okay with instant oatmeal and instant grits and cream of wheat. I have yet to develop a taste for high fructose corn syrup pumped into tea. I still prefer to add cane sugar at the table.

What do you guys think of scrapple?

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2007, 02:08
I lieks scrapple....esp the kind made from sour green apples:D

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2007, 02:18
Because...

Grits are made from hominy corn. Hominy grows really tall and is a beautiful plant, you should try some in your garden. I could sell you some seeds....

If you just coarse grind regular corn, you get polenta.

ok I could use some good seeds...not corn dang it!

mudhead
06-10-2007, 04:13

david

Regional, cultural thing, I think.

Kind of like molasses on biscuits, or fried potatoes. Or the onion in the pot of baked beans.

Sweet tea and Spam. The nickname for South Carolina.

boarstone
06-10-2007, 07:49
First time I ate it I didn't know what it was and loved it!

Tractor
06-10-2007, 08:25
Frosty. I've had scrapple and will most likely have it again. Most folks, here, have no clue what it is.

I had sweet tea at a southern BBQ chain place in Cleveland the other day and it was, well, they tried.

Growing up we didn't make/have grits as often as we had oatmeal. My grandmother would more likely serve oatmeal over bisquits for breakfast.
At a Waffle House/Omelet Shop/Huddle House I would not pass up grits at breakfast though....

We make sweet tea a pitcher at a time, don't boil the tea but let it heat a bit longer, add sugar to the pitcher before pouring in the hot/dark tea water, thin with tap water, stir, taste and either add more sugar or let her go as is.... Tastes best by day two if there is any left.

Was in Boston area several years back. A friend kept asking for sweet tea. Poor guy was served Long Island Tea about half the time instead.......

TOW
06-10-2007, 08:37
Interesting link. And one that is definitely a demarcation pt. for southern hikers.

http://eightoverfive.com/SweetTea.swf

Proceed to experiment and click on Sweet Tea Line for the "real" boundary between the North and South.
I think the south is a great place, but as far as the sweet tea goes it is of my opinion that more restaurants are falling away from tradition and serving up just plain tea. I think the reason for this is that so many people seem to be diabetic and the restaurants serve it without sugar as a precaution.

TOW
06-10-2007, 08:40
This has given me an idea. I think I will get me some gallon glass jars and start making some sun tea, with sugar of course.........

Tractor
06-10-2007, 08:47
Sun Tea. Great Idea!

Rain Man
06-10-2007, 09:39

Well now, young feller, why don't you jest go to the ol grocery store and buy yerself some instant maple syrup, and it'd be just as good, since that's yer logic?! Or, instant beer, for that matter. ~wink~

And yes, some low-down, dispicable eatin' places do git their "tea" from a machine. Phonies!

Rain Man
06-10-2007, 09:46
So grits are corn, huh? I've had a lot of grits in a lot of southern restaurants, and I cannot tell the difference between them and Cream of Wheat. I suspect you southerners are hauling wheat millions of miles from Minnesota to make your grits.

Grits from WHEAT!!! Can't tell the difference between corn grits and cream of wheat?! ROTFLMAO!!!

You see, this is one reason why I wuz raised thinking that "damn Yankee" wuz ONE WORD. ~wink~

Rain Man
06-10-2007, 09:50
I think the south is a great place, but as far as the sweet tea goes it is of my opinion that more restaurants are falling away from tradition ...

I guess it's perspective, but to me restaurants aren't merely falling away from our tradition; they are falling towards someone else's tradition. Big distinction.

Hey, TOW, I really posted this just to say how much I like your signature line about roses and thorns, or thorns and roses. That's a keeper!

Dances with Mice
06-10-2007, 10:09
Scrapple's not bad. My in-laws eat it covered with syrup for some reason, I like it floating in Tobasco.

The most offensive thing my Yankee in-laws do with food is that when they grill burgers, chicken, hot dogs or brats they call it barbequing. I can't get them to understand that putting sauce on a grilled chicken breast does not make it BBQ. It's like frying a chicken and calling it baked.

katagious
06-10-2007, 10:31
hmmm, I always thought that real southern tea was "sun tea". Not boiled tea....
and grits can be found all the way up in North Conway New Hamsphire at a restaurant called Blueberry something....can't remember what... hmmm :)
The real demarcation is by what the locals actually put on their grits. I thought my Virginian pappy would drop stone cold dead when he caught me putting sugar on my grits..jest like my born n bred in Maine momma showed me!

peanuts
06-10-2007, 11:11
guilty, guilty. guilty...... i also put sugar and cream on my grits(for breakfast)oh, yea butter too:D yums

Frosty
06-10-2007, 12:29
Grits from WHEAT!!! Can't tell the difference between corn grits and cream of wheat?! ROTFLMAO!!!

You see, this is one reason why I wuz raised thinking that "damn Yankee" wuz ONE WORD. ~wink~And yet you wonder why the stereotype lives on.

Yes, grits from wheat. Or even oats. Grits are nothing but ground grain. Hominy grits are grits made from corn. Sorry.

Back on topic (alternate Mason-Dixon lines), how about hash browns vs. home fries?

I grew up in the north with what we called home fries. Leftover boiled potatoes, cut up and fried with onions and maybe green pepper. I have noticed that breakfast potatoes in the south are usually hash brown, not home fries.

I still prefer home fries to hash browns as a side order when I'm having eggs, but when traveling in the south, I love to stop in a Waffle House or Huddle House and get a double hash brown with green pepper and diced ham. Ummm, ummm. Makes me wish the nearest Waffle House wasn't a day's drive from here.

Anyway, I guess I'd call this the Potato Line.

Moon Monster
06-10-2007, 12:40
The most offensive thing my Yankee in-laws do with food is that when they grill burgers, chicken, hot dogs or brats they call it barbequing. I can't get them to understand that putting sauce on a grilled chicken breast does not make it BBQ. It's like frying a chicken and calling it baked.

Really, it's more like frying a chicken and calling it fish. Barbecue = pork.

But, let's not open this one, because even the bulk of Southerners don't get barbecue. Unless folks visited/grew up in North Carolina, east of Durham, and before mega-industrialized hog manufacturing, they have irrecoverably incomplete data.

Anyways, this whole thread is proving why McDonalds shouldn't be used as the benchmark for regional food preferences. There's too much diversity out there for one institution to handle.

Frosty
06-10-2007, 12:40
The most offensive thing my Yankee in-laws do with food is that when they grill burgers, chicken, hot dogs or brats they call it barbequing. I can't get them to understand that putting sauce on a grilled chicken breast does not make it BBQ. It's like frying a chicken and calling it baked.Ha ha. Not so very offensive, but on the same line, the most offensive trick my Barnesville, GA in-laws played on me is when I visited they served me a "BBQ" dinner and there was no sauce on the meat! What the hay-ell? Why do you think they call it BBQ sauce?

We agreed to henceforth use the terms 'smoked' and 'grilled' for communication purposes, but I do need to point out that my wife's sister is French Canadian and her husband is from Dover-Foxcroft (Maine), so I guess even though the North won The War of Northern Aggression, the South is winning The Battle of Southern Assimilation. My generation is safe, but I fear for my son. I found some sweet tea paraphenalia in his room last month. We are going to try an intervention.

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 14:58
you cant make cornbread with yellow corn meal

Wrong. :sun

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 15:07
You see, this is one reason why I wuz raised thinking that "damn Yankee" wuz ONE WORD. ~wink~

Dude! You just changed my sig line! :eek:

katagious
06-10-2007, 15:37
The real line has nothing to do with grits, tea or the barby...it has to do with when the soda ends and the pop! begins!:banana

superman
06-10-2007, 17:09
When I was a kid in New Hampshire we called soda or pop...tonic. Everyone is losing their colloquialisms. When I travel around the country now almost all the news people sound like they're from NY.

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2007, 17:42
It has more to do with what side your family fought on and what kind of memorials they put up in your hometown after the war than what people eat these days.

Yankees don't think so much about these things but people in the South still do.

Frosty
06-10-2007, 18:19
When I was a kid in New Hampshire we called soda or pop...tonic. Yeah, I'm from New Bedford Mass originally, and my Boston cousins always said "tonic."

Also, When I first left eastern Mass, I learned that people put ice cream in their milk shakes. For us, a milkshake did not have ice cream. If you put ice cream in it, it was called a frappe. Except my relatives in Rhode Island called it a "cabinet."

Everyone is losing their colloquialisms. Well, you can see why. No one wants cultural differences any more. We want everyone to be the same everywhere.

Look at most of the posts in this thread. Southerners go up north and get upset because tea isn't made the way it's done back home, and vice versa.

"Hey, you're in the north(south), guys. It ain't back home."
"Bull. Give me what I'm used to everywhere I go."

How long before Waffle House and Dunkin Donuts share identical menus?

Scary.

superman
06-10-2007, 21:53
It has more to do with what side your family fought on and what kind of memorials they put up in your hometown after the war than what people eat these days.

Yankees don't think so much about these things but people in the South still do.

Dolly and I went to that town by the NOC in 2000. We had a teenage waitress and there were many pictures on the wall of Rebel officers and men on the restaurant wall. I asked the young woman who those men were. She unhestitatingly walked to the wall and pointed to each picture and told me each man's full name, unit and where his people live now. I doubt that there are many yankee young people who even know if anyone in their family fought in the war of southern rebellion.

Rain Man
06-11-2007, 11:31
[QUOTE=Frosty;370710]Look at most of the posts in this thread. Southerners go up north and get upset because tea isn't made the way it's done back home....

???? Really? Of all the good-humored posts by Southerners in this whole thread about sweet ice tea, not a single one complains of how sweet ice tea is made "up north." All are discussing how it's served (or, rather, not) in the South, except for one that mentions Boston (but then not as "getting upset," but humorously).

Factually-inaccurate broad brush stereotyping ain't sweet. ~wink~

Now, back to this funny thread! :)

leeki pole
06-11-2007, 11:50
Ha ha. Not so very offensive, but on the same line, the most offensive trick my Barnesville, GA in-laws played on me is when I visited they served me a "BBQ" dinner and there was no sauce on the meat! What the hay-ell? Why do you think they call it BBQ sauce?

But was there cole slaw ON the BBQ? True southern BBQ!;)

Alligator
06-11-2007, 11:51
Frosty. I've had scrapple and will most likely have it again. Most folks, here, have no clue what it is.
...Even when you know what it is, you don't know exactly what it is;) .

I saw some scrapple like meat item on the breakfast bar while traveling through VA in the recent past. It was a square/rectangular meat item. I can't remember what it was called though. When I asked a fellow what it was, he said it was like scrapple.

Anyone?

gimpy68
06-11-2007, 12:00
I was raised in the South, and was shocked when I went North and could not find sweet tea anymore. Dunkin Donuts does sweet tea up here in Maine. I'm a navy wife and try my best to make the most of where ever I live. Now I'm hooked on iced coffee! It's funny to see people look at you like your crazy when you try to order one down south.

gimpy68
06-11-2007, 12:02
There is no other way to eat BBQ , it must have cole slaw on the actual sandwich. Scrapple rules, and I can't find it up here in Maine.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2007, 12:05
Even when you know what it is, you don't know exactly what it is;) .

I saw some scrapple like meat item on the breakfast bar while traveling through VA in the recent past. It was a square/rectangular meat item. I can't remember what it was called though. When I asked a fellow what it was, he said it was like scrapple.

Anyone?

www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html

Alligator
06-11-2007, 12:19
www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html (http://www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html)Kinda like a hot dog, everything but the squeal!

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2007, 12:26
It's funny to see people look at you like your crazy when you try to order one down south.

That's funny. When I was growing up in the South, one of my grandmother's friends drank iced coffee and that was one of the topics discussed when people were trying to decide if she was truly mentally ill or just a bit odd. No kidding.

Lone Wolf
06-11-2007, 12:31
here's what i was borned and raised up on in Rhode Island
www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=56

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:33
I guess it's perspective, but to me restaurants aren't merely falling away from our tradition; they are falling towards someone else's tradition. Big distinction.

Hey, TOW, I really posted this just to say how much I like your signature line about roses and thorns, or thorns and roses. That's a keeper!

Thankyou Sir. I like and agree with yours as well.............:sun

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:39
Scrapple's not bad. My in-laws eat it covered with syrup for some reason, I like it floating in Tobasco.

I like to take baby back ribs and boil them in salt until they are just tender enough to tear from the bone. Then I prefer to cook them over a deep pit and smothering them with my own sauce until the meat is just about to fall off. I like to use Pecan wood for a good set of embers and then soaked hickory added to it to produce the smoke that will flavor the meat. Then I serve that up with a baked tater and corn on the cob with a side of the sauce for dipping. When I do this I always hand the eater a bib just in case everything gets kind of sloppy.

That's Bar B Quing to me, and you can use this same strategy on any type of meat except fish.........

TDale
06-11-2007, 12:40
uin must be a transplant southerner

TDale throws his guantlet to the ground...

A duel, sir! You have insulted me!

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:47
guilty, guilty. guilty...... i also put sugar and cream on my grits(for breakfast)oh, yea butter too:D yums
I like to take old fashioned grits and bring them to a rolling boil, then I reduce the heat just enough so as not to let the grits become bubbly-keep them rolling. Then I put a bit of kosher salt and white pepper in along with thinly sliced fatback. I keep adding water slowly to keep the rolling consistant. I also stir to prevent them from sticking.

Once I am able to smash the grits between my fingers, I reduce the heat and slowly add heavy cream until I have a very creamy but yet thick grit. I then turn the heat off and add pure unsalted butter.

After this, you can add sugar or anything else to eat them the way you desire. I like to eat them with dry figs, brown sugar and milk.........

Dances with Mice
06-11-2007, 12:49
www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html (http://www.berksweb.com/pam/scrapple.html)A shame to use good pork shoulder like that.

Let me talk to the BBQ'ers here: I was at the grocery last week and there was a raw picnic ham on sale "Manager Special Reduced for Quick Sale" for $6. The whole ham for about the price of a couple chicken breasts! I prefer pork shoulder (aka "Boston Butt") but if they're going to give it away I'll take it.

I lugged that thing home and made up a brine to marinade it in the 'fridge. The ham wouldn't fit entirely in my biggest stock pot but I did the best I could, wrapped it all in plastic, moved some shelves around in the fridge and let it sit until Saturday. Saturday I fired up the smoker and after everything was warmed up I took the ham outside and looked for my hickory chips.

Couldn't find them?! I always have a bag or two stashed somewhere. But I did have a giant pile of dried grapevine from when I pruned the muscadines this spring. I broke up a couple handfuls and threw that on the coals and proceeded as normal. I was only out six bucks and a bit of charcoal if it came out too funky. Every couple of hours when I refreshed the charcoal I'd throw in some more grapevine.

It was, in both my opinion and my family's, the best tasting BBQ I've ever made. The flavor isn't as strong as hickory, it's mellower. We liked it better.

How long did I smoke it? It took exactly 1.5 gallons of sweet tea.

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:50
Dolly and I went to that town by the NOC in 2000. We had a teenage waitress and there were many pictures on the wall of Rebel officers and men on the restaurant wall. I asked the young woman who those men were. She unhestitatingly walked to the wall and pointed to each picture and told me each man's full name, unit and where his people live now. I doubt that there are many yankee young people who even know if anyone in their family fought in the war of southern rebellion.
Are you talking about Bryson City or Robbinsville?

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:54
here's what i was borned and raised up on in Rhode Island
www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=56 (http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=56)
Wow! Talk about memories, my mom use to serve us that when my dad was stationed in Ft. Riley, Kansas............

TOW
06-11-2007, 12:57
A shame to use good pork shoulder like that.

Let me talk to the BBQ'ers here: I was at the grocery last week and there was a raw picnic ham on sale "Manager Special Reduced for Quick Sale" for $6. The whole ham for about the price of a couple chicken breasts! I prefer pork shoulder (aka "Boston Butt") but if they're going to give it away I'll take it.

I lugged that thing home and made up a brine to marinade it in the 'fridge. The ham wouldn't fit entirely in my biggest stock pot but I did the best I could, wrapped it all in plastic, moved some shelves around in the fridge and let it sit until Saturday. Saturday I fired up the smoker and after everything was warmed up I took the ham outside and looked for my hickory chips.

Couldn't find them?! I always have a bag or two stashed somewhere. But I did have a giant pile of dried grapevine from when I pruned the muscadines this spring. I broke up a couple handfuls and threw that on the coals and proceeded as normal. I was only out six bucks and a bit of charcoal if it came out too funky. Every couple of hours when I refreshed the charcoal I'd throw in some more grapevine.

It was, in both my opinion and my family's, the best tasting BBQ I've ever made. The flavor isn't as strong as hickory, it's mellower. We liked it better.

I'm going to try that this fall!

TDale
06-11-2007, 13:00

Try pecan wood sometimes if you haven't already. Great flavor.

TN_Hiker
06-11-2007, 13:06

Anyone?

Souse perhaps?

jlb2012
06-11-2007, 13:13

Anyone?

was it perhaps called liver mush?

Alligator
06-11-2007, 13:15
Souse perhaps?No, it wasn't jellied.

was it perhaps called liver mush?Nope.

Been trying to remember it for a while now too.

smokymtnsteve
06-11-2007, 15:46
Head Cheese?

superman
06-11-2007, 16:14
Are you talking about Bryson City or Robbinsville?

I believe that was Bryson City.
In my travels around this country about the only pace the topic of the civil war comes up is down south. last year when I made a resupply on the northern end of the long trail in Vermont there was a sizable monument to the Vermonters who fought in the "War of the Southern Rebellion." No one was talking about it though. The third property from mine is an old cemetary. There are many men buried there who have the GAP markers on them. There names are the same as many locals but no one talks about it. People more than ever move from north to south and south to north but for some the civil war issues are still alive.

Smudge
06-11-2007, 16:55
Want to talk about food culture shock? Try being born in Minnesota to a mother from East Tennesee and a father from Central Ohio. Now get raised in North East Florida.(read South East Georgia:D) Spend the next 14 years of adult life in the Navy. I'm not sure if I want a double espresso, a Full English breakfast, coleslaw on my pulled pork sandwich, an In-and-Out burger, a Baja style fish taco, a Pacifico Clara, potato soup, a carne asada burito, grits, hashbrowns, home fries or a sweet tea to wash it all down with...

Luckily, I've been able to find the good things to eat and drink where ever I happen to wake up!

p.s. Sweet tea is sweetened while hot ;)

mudhead
06-11-2007, 18:43
I vote for the fish taco.

I think I'll stop by the grocery this week and ask if they have any seasoning meat.

However, the very best biscuits and gravy I have had, was in Akron, Ohio. Holiday Inn, downtown.

Dances with Mice
06-11-2007, 20:31
People more than ever move from north to south and south to north but for some the civil war issues are still alive.I might be able to speak to that. I don't know what it was like further north but my g-grandfather's family kinda depended on his Confederate pension.

During my geneology tracing I saw how hard they worked to prove he was in the Confederate Army. It probably wasn't difficult to prove you served on the winning side but Confederate Army records of enlistees were scarce and very inaccurate. Before the Internet databanks it would have been quite a job to straighten it all out. It still took me a couple of months.

GGF had the fortune of being captured by the Yanks so they had a record of when & where he was captured and later released. His pension was filed using the US Army records and was approved. His pension brought some cash into the farm after he had a stroke, his widow continued to receive his pension after he died. I gathered all I could find into one place, the story with the conflicting Federal vs Confederate records is here. (http://ray.advsysweb.com/civil_war.htm)

So the family remembered him & his service and were grateful he served even if he got real upset if anybody mentioned The War. It was something he never discussed.

I don't know how big a deal Civil War pensions were up north but in the south they brought in some hard cash.

superman
06-11-2007, 21:36
There is a long tradition that those who fighrt the wars benefit the least from them...any war. The issues of state rights vs federal rights is still being fought today...but in the courts.
Catch phrases fire up young men as off to go war they go. My generation got all caught up in the lines about "ask not what your country can do for you "etc. I even got all worked up over "no mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great, duty first."
The uniforms change but it's same old, same old. It was pretty tough up here also for the veterans of the Grand Army of the Potomac when they tried to come home. Many went west because they were not welcome when "johnny came marching home."

Nightwalker
06-11-2007, 21:43
I'm not sure if I want a double espresso, a Full English breakfast, coleslaw on my pulled pork sandwich, an In-and-Out burger, a Baja style fish taco, a Pacifico Clara, potato soup, a carne asada burrito, grits, hashbrowns, home fries or a sweet tea to wash it all down with...

I wanna eat at your house!!! :sun

Jester2000
06-11-2007, 21:48
In my travels around this country about the only place the topic of the civil war comes up is down south.

I'm guessing you haven't visited Gettysburg? The Gathering is there this year. You should come.

As for me, I've already written a poem about the making of scrapple on this site, and I prefer the demarcation of North-South to be the IHOP-Waffle House line.

Covered and smothered!

prozac
06-11-2007, 22:03
The Waffle House is a good demarcation line but there is a smattering of them up north along truckstops. The best indicator is when you see more then two people at once with a Dale Earnhart hat, your in the South. P.S. A good ole #3 baseball cap increases your chances while thumbing it by an order of magnitude of roughly 10. :rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV
06-12-2007, 00:13
Never really thought about the western NC mountains as being solid rebel territory, since they placed about as many soldiers in the Union Army. My family, on both sides, is north Alabama back to when it was first settled by whites, around 1800, and one great-grandfather fought in the Union Army and another was a member of the Union League (the Confederacy confiscated all his property and he sued them for years, but the same politicians defended themselves on the grounds that they were formerly acting illegally for an illegal government - Kafkaesque, but hard to argue with). And my family history is by no means unusual for NE Alabama...

Dances with Mice
06-12-2007, 17:17
I like to take baby back ribs and boil them in salt until they are just tender enough to tear from the bone. ... That's Bar B Quing to me, and you can use this same strategy on any type of meat except fish......... Everyone else is being too polite to point this out but ... OK, first let me say I'm sure those ribs are real tender. And tasty. But what you're making is smoke and sauce flavored boiled ribs. Boiled-beque. It's not Barbeque.

Just sayin'.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 17:20
Everyone else is being too polite to point this out but ... OK, first let me say I'm sure those ribs are real tender. And tasty. But what you're making is smoke and sauce flavored boiled ribs. Boiled-beque. It's not Barbeque.

Just sayin'.

i agree. ribs should never be pre-cooked in any way

Uncle Silly
06-13-2007, 14:22
I prefer the demarcation of North-South to be the IHOP-Waffle House line.

Covered and smothered!

i'm confused. so IHOPs are North, WHs are South? i've eaten at both (here in the South)... tho i do prefer the Waffle House, it's not a terribly strong preference. anywhere i can get my greasy breakfast on at 4am is fine with me.

Alligator
06-13-2007, 14:37
i'm confused. so IHOPs are North, WHs are South? i've eaten at both (here in the South)... tho i do prefer the Waffle House, it's not a terribly strong preference. anywhere i can get my greasy breakfast on at 4am is fine with me.What you'd be looking for up north would be a 24 hr diner.

Appalachian Tater
06-13-2007, 17:58
I thought IHOP was everywhere:

http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/

Waffle House is just now working its way up North:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search&client=wafflehouse

Huddle House is probably more southern at this point:

http://www.huddlehouse.com/locator/locator.asp

Dances with Mice
06-13-2007, 18:21
So where's the kudzu line? That would be the true dividing point.

Appalachian Tater
06-13-2007, 18:29
Kudzu map:

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/2425.html

It's not just in the south anymore. It has also been discovered on the west coast but they apparently have been able to keep it eradicated.

Dances with Mice
06-13-2007, 19:06
Kudzu map:

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/species/2425.html

It's not just in the south anymore. Omigawd! It's gone as far as New York?! And our government is worried about human terrorists?

If it ever spreads into New York City it ... well, that might be an improvement. I can see the movie "Planet of the Kudzu" where in the final scene someone finds the Statue of Liberty Torch just barely sticking out of a kudzu field.

Jester2000
06-14-2007, 18:28
i'm confused. so IHOPs are North, WHs are South? i've eaten at both (here in the South)... tho i do prefer the Waffle House, it's not a terribly strong preference. anywhere i can get my greasy breakfast on at 4am is fine with me.

While there are IHOPS in the South (they are, after all, the INTERNATIONAL House of Pancakes), and there are a few Waffle House locations in the North (Carlisle, PA comes to mind), generally speaking the debate over where to go for a cheap greasy breakfast in the North is between Denny's and IHOP, while the debate in the South tends to be between Waffle House and Huddle House.

I think it would be hilarious to argue about this, by the way.

Uncle Silly
06-14-2007, 18:51
While there are IHOPS in the South (they are, after all, the INTERNATIONAL House of Pancakes), and there are a few Waffle House locations in the North (Carlisle, PA comes to mind), generally speaking the debate over where to go for a cheap greasy breakfast in the North is between Denny's and IHOP, while the debate in the South tends to be between Waffle House and Huddle House.

I think it would be hilarious to argue about this, by the way.

OK, I'm starting to see the problem. See, down here, these are two different kinds of animals -- probably part of the same family, but certainly different species. IHOP, Waffle House, and Huddle House are roughly equivalent. Denny's and Shoney's (and maybe Perkins) are also equivalents, but are distinctly different from the first category. (Personally, I think it's the buffet that sets them apart... but that throws Perkins out of the category.)

So a Southerner might debate IHOP vs Waffle vs Huddle, and might debate Denny's vs Shoney's, but by the time they get to debating they've already decided whether they want Waffle House-ish or Shoney's-ish.

Personally, I like Perkins... they have great pies...

Cookerhiker
06-16-2007, 22:28
I'm joining this discussion late because I've been away for a while but have a recent relevant experience. I'm in Biloxi, Mississippi helping rebuild houses damaged by Hurrican Katrina and today, my work partners and I partook of a Waffle House. Awful! One guy ordered cheese grits and received plain grits with a slice (right out of the Kraft package) of American cheese on top. I would assume you southerners would not consider this authentic cheese grits.

I try to avoid chains anywhere, whether north or south. In general, it seems to me the south has more chains and it's harder to find a local place. I managed to find a few decent places - had crawfish etoufee today. But the best was last Saturday when one of the homeowners benefiting from our work threw a party with BBQ and a host of saucy dishes including her homemade gumbo. Outstanding!

TOW
06-17-2007, 10:06
Everyone else is being too polite to point this out but ... OK, first let me say I'm sure those ribs are real tender. And tasty. But what you're making is smoke and sauce flavored boiled ribs. Boiled-beque. It's not Barbeque.

Just sayin'.
Don't speak for everyone else bro.

And by the way that's how I was instructed from a real southern cook as to the best cooking techniques for undertaking such a task. But on the other hand the way you suggest to cook them which is straight to the deep pit, or grill is as good too. But you to cook them slow and steady to get the same effect. What boiling does is quickens the tenderizing process........

TOW
06-17-2007, 10:07
So where's the kudzu line? That would be the true dividing point.
i agree with you on that one!

Dances with Mice
06-17-2007, 11:17
Don't speak for everyone else bro.

And by the way that's how I was instructed from a real southern cook as to the best cooking techniques for undertaking such a task. But on the other hand the way you suggest to cook them which is straight to the deep pit, or grill is as good too. But you to cook them slow and steady to get the same effect. What boiling does is quickens the tenderizing process........Bless your heart.

emerald
06-17-2007, 11:30
So a Southerner might debate IHOP vs Waffle vs Huddle, and might debate Denny's vs Shoney's, but by the time they get to debating they've already decided whether they want Waffle House-ish or Shoney's-ish.

Personally, I like Perkins... they have great pies...

One of the fundamental shortcomings of The Green Diamond is its lack of a Shoney's. Denny's just doesn't get it for me. The nearest I recollect are at Morgantown, West Virginia and Waynesboro, Virginia, both of which are a bit too far to drive just for breakfast. When I feel so inclined, I DIM (that's DIY in case you wondered).

guavaguy
06-17-2007, 11:31
I have always subscribed to the notion that a "souther state" is where you can get sweet tea at nearly every eating establishment (McD, Golden Corral and Chic-fil-A the exceptions as all their units serve it). West...Arkansas and Louisiana are the last states to qualify.
Once in Chicago, I was told that ice tea was out of season...it was November!

Dances with Mice
06-17-2007, 11:39
I have always subscribed to the notion that a "souther state" is where you can get sweet tea at nearly every eating establishment (McD, Golden Corral and Chic-fil-A the exceptions as all their units serve it). West...Arkansas and Louisiana are the last states to qualify.
Once in Chicago, I was told that ice tea was out of season...it was November!Whoa. There's a little state between Louisiana and New Mexico where sweet tea is never out of season.

TOW
06-17-2007, 17:00
Bless your heart.
Thankyou my quick witted friend.............:D

TOW
06-17-2007, 17:01
Whoa. There's a little state between Louisiana and New Mexico where sweet tea is never out of season.
And that has got to be TEXAS!!!!!!

aaroniguana
06-17-2007, 17:32
When I lived in San Angelo 20 years ago if I wanted unsweetened tea I had to make it.