PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right pack?

Revolutionist_Rob
06-08-2007, 23:39
For many years now I've been using a 5000cube 6lb Kelty pack that has held up like a champ, but every year I replace more and more of my gear to be 'high end' if you will, stuff that I will never have to replace again. My HennHammock, and mont bell down sleeping bag and so on, but for over a month now I've been trying to find just the right pack to use this summer. I really want to drop the 6lb pack in exchange for a lightweight 3000~cu one. I've searched high and low- I've probably seen 300 different packs now. But how do you really choose that exact one that is for you? My time is running out as I am leaving to guide backpacking/canoeing trips all summer and won't have time to pick one up mid summer, so the time has finally come to make a decision, but I'd like some input. I've really narrowed it down to 2 packs, and I was curious what others thought of them....

Mont Bell's Versalite 50 - 2lb 8oz, nice frame and pack altogether it seems, nice price point at 130$
http://montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=34&p_id=1223269

Granite Gear Vapor Trail 2lbs, light frame, etc, 160$
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html

Those are the 2 packs that really stand out as packs that suit me - Both are well under 3lbs and both have a frame (i need a frame, i dont carry mats or anything since im a hammock user). I've heard the Vapor Trail is comfortable, but I dont know much else about it. How does it stand up to water? And has anyone even tried the Versalite 50? I'm really stuck trying to decide which of these to pick - Does anyone have any insight they could offer?
Right now I do a mix of both distance canoeing and a good deal of flatland backpacking in deep forest, swampy areas. A good deal of bushwhacking as well. My base pack weight, with either of these, will be well below 15lbs so they seem right for what I need... but I cant tell for sure which would be better. If there are any other suggestions of packs with a proper suspension system below 160$ below 3lbs that can hold up near 3000cu... please by all means speak up

Any insights? Thanks!

mweinstone
06-09-2007, 01:11
black diamond makes the only packs left in this world my snobby ass will touch. i got the shadow.

hammock engineer
06-09-2007, 01:40
I have the VT and only use it for day hikes now. It is a good pack and a lot of people here seem to use it. My issue is it is not big enough for me and all of my gear. Hammocking adds bulk to my setup, not really a weight increase just bulk.

The volume that you find on the VT usually includes the expansion collar. IMO it is too top heavy to use it loaded down that way. I could not use it without strapping a lot of gear to the sides. Too me if you need to do that, then your pack is not big enough.

Also the frame is not that stiff. Anything over 30 lbs will probibly not feel the best.

My advice would be to take all of your gear to an outfitter and try on all the packs loaded with all your gear (and not the sand bags they may have). Make sure it all fits and rides good. Walk around the store in whatever footwear you hike in.

Revolutionist_Rob
06-09-2007, 02:23
Oh I'm not worried about fitting gear or overusing the suspension, I used a 1400cu eddie bauer backpack that fit all my gear in it for a week last summer. 3000cu is probably well above what i need, i just want extra space for the off chance i need it, or get stuck carrying more then my share of food, etc. Thanks for the suggestion though. The hammock setup for me cuts down on the bulk quite a bit, 1 little hammock and a fleece blanket for insulation seems to be far less bulky then a thermarest and tent with poles. less weight too.

The Shadow seems nice but a bit heavy, trying to cut weight out.

Programbo
06-09-2007, 08:31
"...but every year I replace more and more of my gear to be 'high end' if you will, stuff that I will never have to replace again.....Any insights? Thanks!"

My only insight is that neither one of the packs you mention are what I would consider "high end"....Also I am skeptical of any 2 pound "backpack" as far as support goes...Even most all the companies that make 2 pound packs have a full line of 4-6 pound packs of equal cubic inch capacity with almost all the extra weight being in the suspension

McQueen
06-09-2007, 11:40
I just got off a 1000 mile hike on the AT and I used a Mountainsmith Ghost . It is 3000 or 3100 cubic inches and weighs between 2lbs 1 oz and 2lbs 6oz depending on the year of the pack. It seems like it would fit your criteria perfectly. It has this odd wire frame system that works absolutely GREAT. I think the most I had in it was about 33 pounds and it still handled the load incredibly well. Anything between 20-30 is going to be even more comfortable and feel virtually non-existent on your back.

The material the pack is made out of is ultra tough and highly water resistant. I used no pack cover and no pack liner on my hike. I just stuck everything in ziplocks and had no problems. I am not saying the pack is completely waterproof, but very water resistant.

The only problem is that the Ghost has been discontinued for some unknown reason, but I am sure there are still plenty floating around on the internet. I highly reccommend this pack!

After coming off of the AT there are many things about my gear that I am going to change or swap out and my backpack is NOT one of them.