PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Down bag

Peanut
06-09-2007, 21:21
Hi everyone. My REI down sleeping bag is torn at a seam towards the foot of the bag. Down keeps coming out. I'm not sure if I should sew up the hole myself...I know REI has a good return/maintainance policy and I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and what they did...or if anyone had an knowledge about what I could do. Is there a way to refill the bag so it has the correct amount of down? Thanks for your help!

Revolutionist_Rob
06-09-2007, 21:37
id say take it back, they're good about returns. maybe they'll just replace it if it isnt too old. otherwise... duck tape!

smokymtnsteve
06-09-2007, 22:34
duck tape fixes everything

Egads
06-09-2007, 23:03
If REI doesn't take it back, try superglue.

Condor
06-09-2007, 23:11
I had two holes in my bag and stuffed the feathers back in and stiched it up! But I didn't get mine from REI if I were you I'd take it back the'll hook you up! I returned a pair of chacos that delamanated to rei last month and I didn't have to explain anything they just gave me my money! GO REI!:sun hope it all works out for you!

Footslogger
06-09-2007, 23:32
I used to work for REI and I'd say that your first shot it to take it back and see what Customer Service says. There is a product (sold by REI ironically) made to patch tears in tafetta tent material. It is available in several colors and is self adhesive. If you can't get the back replaced by REI, I would suggest you get some of that tape. Duct tape is too heavy and not pliable like the Pertex in sleeping bags. This tape I mentioned is light weight and once applied will behave well. I have used it to patch sleeping bags and recently I even used it to patch a hole in a Patagonia MicoPuff pullover.

'Slogger

KD4QOY
06-09-2007, 23:41
duct tape..... it binds the universe together

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2007, 00:12
duct tape..... it binds the universe together

not as much fun as the outhouse races but more duck tape

http://www.alaskaone.org/06redgreen.html

jrwiesz
06-10-2007, 00:23
I used to work for REI and I'd say that your first shot it to take it back and see what Customer Service says. There is a product (sold by REI ironically) made to patch tears in tafetta tent material. It is available in several colors and is self adhesive. If you can't get the back replaced by REI, I would suggest you get some of that tape. Duct tape is too heavy and not pliable like the Pertex in sleeping bags. This tape I mentioned is light weight and once applied will behave well. I have used it to patch sleeping bags and recently I even used it to patch a hole in a Patagonia MicoPuff pullover.

'Slogger
As Slogger said, there is a rip-stop self-adhesive material sold at most chain stores[Walmart, Meijers, Target, etc.], that have arts and crafts or fabric departments. It is sold in 1" wide rolls, maybe even in different widths-more like patches, and a variety of colors so you may be able to match the color and it will hardly be noticable. However, with it being near or at a seam, I would try the return route first. It may be difficult to repair at or near a seam with the self-adhesive material, even more so with duct tape or super glue; the later two, to me, seem to be unsightly and messy.
REI=Return Everything Incorporated.
Good Luck.

peter_pan
06-10-2007, 09:21
Before duct tape sinew held the native world together.... rip some from the backstrap of a deer, then grind down a sliver of leg bone to a needle from a crushed/broken deer leg and you are in business.... no cost and no sticky mess...:)

Pan

RiverWarriorPJ
06-10-2007, 09:32
duck tape fixes everything
x
If the Egyptians had Duck (Duct) Tape....the Sphinx of Giza would have a nose today..:D..
x

superman
06-10-2007, 10:15
I REI will deal with it that would be great. When I got a hole in my tent I put a piece of tent tape inside and the outside as a temporary fix that is still holding after 7 year. After I got the hole in my tent I was still carrying the left over tent tape when I got a hole in my down sleeping bag. The tent tape fixed that too and it's still holding. I've also used it on my one of my backpacks. I thought duct tape was made to fix my feet. :-?

oldbear
06-10-2007, 12:36
Definetly see what REI will do with it first. If that doesn't work you may want to try sewing it using something called a ballpoint needle which is available at your local fabric store. My experience is that if you get the down wet first, sewing becomes a whole lot easier. You may also want to wet and clump the down that you are using to refill the compartment prior to insertion because it makes the job less messy.