PDA

View Full Version : Sheath Knives

SunnyWalker
06-10-2007, 00:13
If you carry a sheath knive when you backpack please tell me about it here. Why you like it, how big the blade is, how heavey it is (with sheath), wht is the sheath made out of, etc. I feel the statement someone here said "a big knife denotes a greenhorn" as unfair and politically correct but in bad taste. Thanks. :sun

-SunnyWalker

Dances with Mice
06-10-2007, 03:23
Another knife thread caused me to purchase two knives:

This one (http://www.thekitchenstore.com/048002500456.html)I found at a local grocery store and I liked it so much I bought two more - one for my backpack, another that I keep in my lunch box, another I drilled a hole in the handle and hung it in my garden where I use it to harvest tough stemmed vegetables like squash or okra. It's a great little tool.

I probably wouldn't carry one of these (http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm) on the AT, but my next long hike may be in a country with much less developed trails than the AT. I got the 740 model and think it's one of the best bargains I've ever found.

Grinder
06-10-2007, 08:00
I bought the cheapest MORA utility knife for my hike. Carbon steel blade. Cost $6ish delivered for about $12 from Epstein.

Carbon Steel because I have a hell of a time sharpening stainless steel but do okay on carbon steel.

With my pack on, there was no good place to carry it in easy reach, so it wound up in my external pack pocket.

Tom

Phreak
06-10-2007, 08:30
http://www.knivesandtools.com/fr/pt/bbfd.htm

Fiddler
06-10-2007, 16:37
I have a Case XX (don't know the model number) hunting style knife in it's original leather sheath. Slim blade about 4 inches long, easy to sharpen and holds a good edge, still as shiny as new, bone handle. I have no idea what the weight is. It's always with me when fishing, camping, hiking, anything outdoors. I got it about 45 years ago.

Skidsteer
06-10-2007, 17:19
If you carry a sheath knive when you backpack please tell me about it here. Why you like it, how big the blade is, how heavey it is (with sheath), wht is the sheath made out of, etc. I feel the statement someone here said "a big knife denotes a greenhorn" as unfair and politically correct but in bad taste. Thanks. :sun

-SunnyWalker

I carry the same one DWM linked to(first link).

Four-inch blade, semi flexible, weighs one ounce(1.3 oz. with sheath), easy to sharpen and holds an edge passing well.

The grip could use a grip-filler for heavy work, but on the A.T. it works just fine.

Hikes with a stick
06-10-2007, 22:36
Sometimes I carry my Tom Brown tracker knife when I go hiking... It has a wickedly sharp edge, and it weighs about two pounds. Great for splitting firewood and taking the bark off of logs. It would also function well as a weapon in a pinch... :)

But my favorite knife to carry is my CRKT folding falcon. It has a great grip and just the right length. The handle is just the right length for the width of my hand, and it has a nice positive locking feature where the blade will not close accidentally. It is designed to be opened with one hand, which is a nice plus as well. I usually carry this knife with me in my pocket where ever I go, it has a belt clip that I slide over the top of my pocket. Makes it very easy to get it out of my pocket.

MtnTopThinker
06-11-2007, 00:21
I carry a Schrade-Walden 147 made circa 1950. Weight 4 oz. including homemade leather sheath.

K0OPG
06-11-2007, 08:27
short kabar, black, don't know the weight(didn't care). Holds an edge really well and being a former Marine, it's Kabar or nothing.

http://www.knivesplus.com/KA-1257-KABAR.HTML

atraildreamer
06-11-2007, 13:10
I carry a Schrade-Walden 147 made circa 1950. Weight 4 oz. including homemade leather sheath.

That looks like the BSA* sheath knife that I "liberated" :rolleyes: from my brother about 30 years ago! :-?

*: Boy Scouts of America

MtnTopThinker
06-12-2007, 11:20
Yes, the BSA knives were quite similar but were not made by Schrade. PAL and Camillus made many of them. Here is one for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pal-RH-51-Boy-Scout-Knife-Fixed-Blade-w-Sheath_W0QQitemZ270129102572QQihZ017QQcategoryZ404 QQcmdZViewItem

Another site had this to say about today's BSA policy:

Sheath knives/ fixed blade knives
The official BSA policy regarding sheath knives according to the "Guide to safe Scouting" is 'Avoid large sheath knives' and most camps do not allow scouts to carry them. Many years ago the BSA sold official sheath knives however scouts had to one up each other till scouts were carrying machetes. At that point most camps banned all sheath/fixed blade knives. The only knives a scout should be carrying is one that allows them to fold the blade into the handle for safe carrying. Almost every camp will allow scouts to have fixed blade knives in kitchen areas at campsites but the knives must stay in the kitchen area.

RockyBob
06-12-2007, 11:33
http://www.buckknives.com/images/uploads/med_102.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/)

headchange4u
06-12-2007, 12:02
I use a Becker Knife and Tool BK7 (http://www.knivesplus.com/CM-BK7-BKT-Combat-Utility-Knife.html). Indestructable knife. It has a knob on the back for hammering and you can use them to pry without fear of breaking. It's a hard knife to top. The also have a 9" version (BK9).

Here's (http://www.knivesplus.com/BECKER-KNIVES.html) the selction of BK&T knives.

The Weasel
06-12-2007, 12:29

-SunnyWalker

Well, Sunny, sorry to be blunt, but "a big knife denotes a greenhorn" for several reasons, all of them fair and (if that matters to you, and it appears it does) "politically correct."

First, a sheath knife (worn) is very uncomfotablel for backpacking in most situations. Most backpacks come with padded hip belts as a key part of the suspension system to hold the pack firmly against the body and, critically, against the hips. Those belts need to be snug, which means that a worn sheath knife will have the handle and bolster pushed against the hipbone. After a few miles, this will become very uncomfortable.

Second, a sheath knife is impractical. It has essentially one use only - cutting - unless you're bringing a bayonet and scabbard, which will allow you to cut heavy wire. There is relatively little use for the former, and (unless you're going to cut fences along the trail) almost none for the latter. Folding knives with useful tools (scissors, small screwdriver, file, maybe a few more) are fare more practical. It's pretty rare that backpackers are out there field dressing their kills (most of us just eat the damn thing, fur and all, more or less raw).

Lastly, a sheath knife is heavy. Even those who are not ultralighters know that, balancing practicality and weight, a sheath knife is one of the first things left home.

Yes, when I see television shows of backpackers, I can tell they're written by people who have no idea what backpacking is when I see big honking sheath knives on the hips of the characters. Those writers aren't "greenhorns" since the don't even try. But when I - occasionally - see a sheath knife with a backpacker, I often gently ask, "How long have you been backpacking?" as I admiringly look at their very obviously new pack and gear.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 13:04
hikers who use water filters, gaiters, and leki poles are "greenhorns" in my book

derek
06-12-2007, 13:10
while sheath knives may not not be too practical while hiking a well marked trail that travels through many towns and has loads of traffic, it does have its place when used for more remote locations. besides being quite useful against non-animal foes (which i see as more likely to be a problem than animal ones), a strong fixed blade knife is much more practical if you are ever in a survival situation. it can chop down small trees, skin animals, cut ropes/vines with ease, singaling, and many other things. whereas, i cant see a small screwdriver or nail file being very useful given the predicament. pocket knives and mini tools break far too easily to be relied upon.
it would be ridiculous to try to wear the knife on your waist (as maybe the weasel has seen people do? ) but having it somewhere accessible strapped to the outside of your pack, or ankle if that is comfortable to you, is not problematic at all.
with regards to weight, yes it is an extra 6-10 ounces in most cases, but with the possibility of saving my life given an extreme circumstance, i am often willing to bear that small burden. balancing practicality and weight, i can see myself carrying a sheath knife over say, a thermarest (even if the pad didnt weigh twice as much as the knife). besides the fact that if you are tired enough you will sleep on pretty much anything, comfort can be created quite easily, sharp, strong steel...not so much. in fact, most things you carry can be created or at least substituted, but not a good strong blade.
so do i carry a sheath knife with me usually when hiking? no. but i can understand why someone would and to denote them as a "greenhorn" purely for this reason isn't quite fair. i am, again, speaking in terms of general hiking, not specifically the AT.

-Derek

ps - read The Hatchet

SunnyWalker
06-15-2007, 00:26
Please keep the comments coming. But remember this thread is for sheath knives and I would rather not hear about folding knives and debate that type of subject. Although I think folding knives are great :-).
-SunnyWalker ps.but. . . my favorite folding knive will always be the BSA folding knife. Favorite sheath: buck 119

mweinstone
06-15-2007, 00:36
i dont carry a sheath knife into the woods cause i dont like anal sex.
its illegal to carry a blade over 4 inches or you go to prison for brandeshing a deadly weapon. and our prisons are full of butt humpers.

smokymtnsteve
06-15-2007, 00:40
its illegal to carry a blade over 4 inches or you go to prison for brandeshing a deadly weapon. and our prisons are full of butt humpers.

how do U know U don't liek it??;)

mweinstone
06-15-2007, 06:45
an uneducated guess.

camojack
06-15-2007, 07:01
an uneducated guess.

Good answer. :D

Regarding the subject, I guess that my Leatherman™ counts, 'cause it's in a sheath and has a (very sharp!) knife blade. I don't carry it on my belt, though. Oh, and it weighs 5 ounces. Quite handy device...

cornflake
06-15-2007, 09:34
Have one of these. It's indestructible and hangs from anywhere you want.

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/401/238

leeki pole
06-15-2007, 10:11
i carry a handmade knife made by a Hopi Native American friend, 4" blade raised point sheath knife...native wood handle, takes a wicked good edge... worth a million bucks to me...best gift i ever got, so i guess i'm a greenhorn:p

taildragger
06-15-2007, 10:26
I used to carry a small case sheath knife with me. I'd keep it packed in an easily accesible pocket. I carry it to eat with and for chores. I would not think that its a greenwing tool. I have been hunting, hiking, and camping since I was 5 (18 years of hiking) and one of the first things that I was taught was that a knife is a tool that you should always have, if th s**t hits the fan its a good thing to have. My motto, if you're remote and it's something that you would want if you had to survive on your own, bring it.

That being said, I no longer carry my sheath knife, I carry my 3" gerber skinning knife, and I might be replacing it with a fixed blade knife thats a little larger than the case.

And as far as the BSA and sheath knives go, my larger sheath knife was one of the reasons that I was kicked out of scouts (I had issues with the way things were done, and how I was talked down to, and I like to cuss as a 12 year old...). I brought it instead of a hatchet since my hatchet had a duct taped handle, and the sheath knife has a 12" blade and can split smaller peices of wood. I figured it was safer, the scoutmaster that that I was crazier than he had previously thought.

SunnyWalker
06-16-2007, 00:08
Anyone carry any of those kbar or army survival sheath knives?

-SunnyWalker

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 03:09

-SunnyWalker

the hiker known as KABAR did...:D

SunnyWalker
06-17-2007, 00:21
Kabar fell on his kabar, right? He was a greenhorn??
:-) -SunnyWalker

smokymtnsteve
06-17-2007, 00:24
Kabar fell on his kabar, right? He was a greenhorn??
:-) -SunnyWalker

didn't fall on on his knife,,but I did have to help him off the trail before NC ;)

mweinstone
06-17-2007, 18:51
i carry my jesus sword.

Tsani
06-20-2007, 14:06
What about the butt humpers on the trail? (Cue the Flatt and Scruggs "Dueling Banjo" music) Believe me, if I have to "brandish" a sheath knife it will be because there is an imminent threat to my personal safety. I go by the ole' saying - "Better tried by 12 than carried by 6". Furthermore, if I have to use my sheath knife to defend myself either the perpetrator will not be able to testify at trial or my wife will collect on my life insurance.

I think it is extremely unlikely that I would ever need to defend myself with a sheath knife on the AT, but I am a worst case scenario kind of guy.

I'd rather come home safe and say, "Why the heck did I carry this thing? Such greenhorn thing to do." And then carry it again next time.

The Weasel
06-20-2007, 14:39
***I think it is extremely unlikely that I would ever need to defend myself with a sheath knife on the AT, but I am a worst case scenario kind of guy.

I'd rather come home safe and say, "Why the heck did I carry this thing? Such greenhorn thing to do." And then carry it again next time.

In that event, a Glock wouldn't be adequate, since, worst case, the teeming hordes of Tamil Tigers swarming out of Hiawassee will have far superior firepower. Have you considered a mortar (small) with both HE and fragmentation shells. I mean, Dude! Wouldn't you rather come home and say, "Why the heck did I carry this thing?"

Especially in such a dangerous place as the AT.

The Weasel

Jimmers
06-20-2007, 14:52
In that event, a Glock wouldn't be adequate, since, worst case, the teeming hordes of Tamil Tigers swarming out of Hiawassee will have far superior firepower. Have you considered a mortar (small) with both HE and fragmentation shells. I mean, Dude! Wouldn't you rather come home and say, "Why the heck did I carry this thing?"

Especially in such a dangerous place as the AT.

The Weasel

Nah, a mortar's too heavy. What you really want is a couple of Claymores; daisy chain a few and you can create quite a surprise for anyone giving pursuit. You can even create a tripwire perimeter at night to keep bears and such away from your food bag. Bam! End of problem, go back to sleep.:D

Seriously, beyond a certain point size does become ridiculous. (at least that's what the girls tell me:cool:) If brandishing a knife with a 4" blade doesn't stop someone from coming at you, it's because they're either nuts or they learned knife fighting. In either case, having an extra 8" of blade won't likely do you much good.

leeki pole
06-20-2007, 14:56
[quote=Jimmers;373645]Nah, a mortar's too heavy. What you really want is a couple of Claymores; daisy chain a few and you can create quite a surprise for anyone giving pursuit. You can even create a tripwire perimeter at night to keep bears and such away from your food bag. Bam! End of problem, go back to sleep.:D
Just remember....."this side towards enemy" ;)

Frosty
06-20-2007, 15:25
What about the butt humpers on the trail? (Cue the Flatt and Scruggs "Dueling Banjo" music) Billy Redden and Ronny Cox.

The Weasel
06-20-2007, 15:34
Nah, a mortar's too heavy. What you really want is a couple of Claymores; daisy chain a few and you can create quite a surprise for anyone giving pursuit. You can even create a tripwire perimeter at night to keep bears and such away from your food bag. Bam! End of problem, go back to sleep.:D

Seriously, beyond a certain point size does become ridiculous. (at least that's what the girls tell me:cool:) If brandishing a knife with a 4" blade doesn't stop someone from coming at you, it's because they're either nuts or they learned knife fighting. In either case, having an extra 8" of blade won't likely do you much good.

Dude, a mortar is NOT too heavy (I mean, the M252 only weighs about 90#) and that's the whole point he made. When the rubber meets the road (well, trail, but you know what I mean, sorry, I'm still from Detroit), he doesn't CARE about weight. He wants safety and maximum firepower and some powderpuff claymore is just not gonna do it. Plus what about the second wave? Them Tamil Tigers just keep coming, and they have friends in Hot Springs, OK? Frankly, I'd go for the Remington 870 MCS, since I think 12 guage can take out Trail Nasties quickly, efficiently and with only minimal risk to civilians and slackpackers, most of whom won't be missed anyhow. Still, if you want to be safe, I agree with current military doctrine that your first strike should always be with long range weapons, and mortar fire can be devastating. Tamil Tigers fear it. For good reason.

As for size, well, you're a guy? And you believe the girls that tell you that too big is "ridiculous"? I am SO not going to go there, but you ask them if they think "an extra 8" of blade" will do much good.

Well, I'm getting convinced. For my assault on Mt San Gorgonio in a couple weeks, I'm going to retrain my Sherpas as ammo bearers. People out here don't realize just how insidious the Tamils can be. Plus I've heard rumors of the Andean Liberation Front, with most of them carrying - are you ready for THIS??? - 14" (yes, that's FOURTEENinches) of the finest Peruvian steel. Actually, I'm more worried about the ugly children packing heat seen in some canyons, but I'm coming home, Maureen, nothing and nobody gonna stop me!!!

The Weasel

leeki pole
06-20-2007, 15:43
Good choice. The 870 NEVER jams. ;)

Smudge
06-20-2007, 15:51
I'm brining my own Ninja. We all know what kind of havoc they can create...;).

btw.. I understand they come standard with several sheath knives and other various edged weapons and pyrotechnics...:D

Jimmers
06-20-2007, 16:14
As for size, well, you're a guy? And you believe the girls that tell you that too big is "ridiculous"? I am SO not going to go there, but you ask them if they think "an extra 8" of blade" will do much good.
The Weasel

Well, I try not to analyze too deeply what girls tell me. Just nod your head and agree. It's easier, and usually prevents collateral damage to my psyche.:D

I agree with the use of long range, devastating firepower, but unless you have a forward observer to zero you in, it can take a few rounds. I suggest both the 870 and claymores, since weight's not an issue. And claymores are multi-use!

Smudge
06-20-2007, 16:46
Don't use the claymores for food gathering though. A book I read described the after affect of two daisy chained claymores as "just a cloud of red mist"...

Kindle
06-20-2007, 16:47
http://www.buckknives.com/images/uploads/med_102.jpg

I carry the same.
It's been with me for some time and has served me well.:sun

The Weasel
06-20-2007, 17:36
Well, I try not to analyze too deeply what girls tell me. Just nod your head and agree. It's easier, and usually prevents collateral damage to my psyche.:D

Yeah, well, you were the one saying the extra 8" was "ridiculous." NOW you say you don't care. Sure. Right. But me? That's why I intend to have the mortar the pumpshot. OK?

I agree with the use of long range, devastating firepower, but unless you have a forward observer to zero you in, it can take a few rounds. I suggest both the 870 and claymores, since weight's not an issue. And claymores are multi-use!

I'm sorry, but I can't afford more Sherpas to carry the claymores in addition to the 870 and the M252. Those guys are strong, but I don't want to pay for extra rice and ghee, now that you remind me that I need the Maori long-viewer as a spotter. He'll be worth it; Tamils are terrified of Maoris, especially if I can get one with the right tatoos. And I need one who can use TOWs, as well as K-Bar sheath knives, and there aren't a lot of Maoris who can use both.

So who's the most macho now? nyahhhhhhhhhhhh!

The Weasel

Dances with Mice
06-20-2007, 18:29
But an M203 with bayonette gives you the best bang for the weight - automatic small arms fire plus 40mm HE grenades with CS, smoke, and flare options and there's still the knife for that Jim Bowie at the Alamo grand finale scene.

The Weasel
06-20-2007, 18:45
Ah, drat. Way too complicated. How about we just agree it's all overkill (you should pardon the expression) and we don't need all this junk for the AT?

The Weasel

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2007, 18:55
I duno but overkill but an Alaskan girl in tight jeans, hiking boots with a sheath knife on her hip kinda works for me ...

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2007, 18:58
I duno but overkill but an Alaskan girl in tight jeans, hiking boots with a sheath knife on her hip kinda works for me ...

oh yea and don't forget the pig tail hair do ....

Skidsteer
06-20-2007, 19:09

oh yea and don't forget the pig tail hair do ....

Don't stop now.

I'm starting to get into it myself.

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2007, 19:27
old well -worn flannel shirt...little rips in the old faded jeans,,,smears of oil and the delightful scent of gas saw mix on said jeans.

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/event-wildernesswoman.html

Skidsteer
06-20-2007, 19:29
old well -worn flannel shirt...little rips in the old faded jeans,,,smears of oil and the delightful scent of gas saw mix on said jeans.

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/event-wildernesswoman.html

OK. Stop. I changed my mind.

My wife will be home soon.

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2007, 19:33
http://www.skinnydicksak.com/

Skidsteer
06-20-2007, 19:38
http://www.skinnydicksak.com/

:p .

Jimmers
06-20-2007, 19:42
Yeah, well, you were the one saying the extra 8" was "ridiculous." NOW you say you don't care. Sure. Right. But me? That's why I intend to have the mortar the pumpshot. OK?
The Weasel

Ah, but I don't care because I am a skilled artist; only a poor craftsman blames his tools for a bad job.:p

Lone Wolf
06-20-2007, 20:08
Dude, a mortar is NOT too heavy (I mean, the M252 only weighs about 90#) and that's the whole point he made. When the rubber meets the road (well, trail, but you know what I mean, sorry, I'm still from Detroit), he doesn't CARE about weight. He wants safety and maximum firepower and some powderpuff claymore is just not gonna do it. Plus what about the second wave? Them Tamil Tigers just keep coming, and they have friends in Hot Springs, OK? Frankly, I'd go for the Remington 870 MCS, since I think 12 guage can take out Trail Nasties quickly, efficiently and with only minimal risk to civilians and slackpackers, most of whom won't be missed anyhow. Still, if you want to be safe, I agree with current military doctrine that your first strike should always be with long range weapons, and mortar fire can be devastating. Tamil Tigers fear it. For good reason.

Well, I'm getting convinced. For my assault on Mt San Gorgonio in a couple weeks, I'm going to retrain my Sherpas as ammo bearers. People out here don't realize just how insidious the Tamils can be. Plus I've heard rumors of the Andean Liberation Front, with most of them carrying - are you ready for THIS??? - 14" (yes, that's FOURTEENinches) of the finest Peruvian steel. Actually, I'm more worried about the ugly children packing heat seen in some canyons, but I'm coming home, Maureen, nothing and nobody gonna stop me!!!

The Weasel

what war and branch of service did you serve?

SunnyWalker
06-21-2007, 20:35
OK, ok, ok. Here is the deal-I went and bouth a small Victorionix knife! Hee, hee, hee, ha, ha (after all this talk, postering, man bragging, etc.). So here is the end of this thread. Keep writing if you want. But this discussion has de-genrated and I am not interested, sorry! Not trying to be judgmental here. Be good, don't fall on your egos . . . er, knife IF you have one, er, ah, carry one. -SunnyWalker

Skidsteer
06-21-2007, 20:49
OK, ok, ok. Here is the deal-I went and bouth a small Victorionix knife! Hee, hee, hee, ha, ha (after all this talk, postering, man bragging, etc.). So here is the end of this thread. Keep writing if you want. But this discussion has de-genrated and I am not interested, sorry! Not trying to be judgmental here. Be good, don't fall on your egos . . . er, knife IF you have one, er, ah, carry one. -SunnyWalker

Threadkiller! :p

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

SunnyWalker
06-21-2007, 22:13
Thanks Skids. I will start from Amicola on July 16 for six nights. In six nights I think I can go what, 40-50 miles? Where would that put me? Am I near roads much of the time where I could call my Dau to come and pick me up (on the 6th day?) (I rest of the 7th) :sun

-SunnyWalker

Skidsteer
06-21-2007, 22:40
Thanks Skids. I will start from Amicola on July 16 for six nights. In six nights I think I can go what, 40-50 miles? Where would that put me? Am I near roads much of the time where I could call my Dau to come and pick me up (on the 6th day?) (I rest of the 7th) :sun

-SunnyWalker

Forty to fifty miles will get you to Hogpen(Hwy. 348) or Unicoi Gap(Hwy 75). Both good roads and easy access by car.

Sixty-six miles will put you at Dick's Creek Gap on U.S. 76; another good road.

You'll have a ball.

smokymtnsteve
06-21-2007, 23:15
maybe dick's creek south could work. that way you would make sure to include tray mtn area in your hike,

SunnyWalker
06-22-2007, 17:26
Thanks for the input. I have ordered the Data book and Companion guide, and maps of AT in GA. I know I don't really need a map as the trail is a trail and well marked. But I would like to know about where roads are, interesting points, etc. Thanks folks. -SunnyWalker

Dances with Mice
06-22-2007, 19:27
Thanks for the input. I have ordered the Data book and Companion guide, and maps of AT in GA. I know I don't really need a map as the trail is a trail and well marked. But I would like to know about where roads are, interesting points, etc. Thanks folks. -SunnyWalkerWell why didn't you ask first? Add this (http://www.sewebsites.com/shopping/georgiahuntingmaps.shtml) to your collection. You'll have the entire GA AT on one piece of waterproof paper. It will also have all the important Forest Service roads that cross the AT and show how they intersect with state highways. It's the only map I use in GA.

Skidsteer
06-22-2007, 20:07
Well why didn't you ask first? Add this (http://www.sewebsites.com/shopping/georgiahuntingmaps.shtml) to your collection. You'll have the entire GA AT on one piece of waterproof paper. It will also have all the important Forest Service roads that cross the AT and show how they intersect with state highways. It's the only map I use in GA.

Do they sell that map at Amicalola, Dances? Or am I misremembering?

And is misremembering a real word?

Dances with Mice
06-22-2007, 20:36
Do they sell that map at Amicalola, Dances? Or am I misremembering? And is misremembering a real word? I'm not sure about 'misremember' or Amicalola. If I knew it once but no longer then it should be 'deremember' or 'unremember', shouldn't it? I forget.

They sell it at local Wal-Marts, like Dahlonega's, and most convenience / gas station stores in the area, like Suches for example.

SunnyWalker
06-27-2007, 17:12
Map looks like it might have some useful info :-)
I

SunnyWalker
06-27-2007, 17:13
Sorry, I hit a wrong button. I was saying I also bought two of the Werner hiking poles for $12.99 each. Yeah, glory!!!! Sure beats the $90 for Leki. I spent enough to try them out.

Be good. -SunnyWalker

Ghost93
07-07-2007, 01:02
I dont always. Mostly in winter, because the need and want of a fire is much greater than in summer. I carry a Bark River Knife and Tool NorthStar, Aurora, or Fox River. All are 4.25 in blades (well, the NS is 4 in). The reason I carry them is that I can do more with a fixed blade than a folder, i.e. batoning wood for fire. I also really like bushcraft blades. I think the N.S. is about 4.7 oz. dont know about the Aurora or Fox River.

glad777
07-07-2007, 11:48
I carry an old Ka-bar I got at a flea market in the '83 with a sheath I made at scout camp the same year. I have now more or less decided to only carry it when hunting now as I really can't say I have used it all that much when camping on the AT. I have replaced it with a CKRT locking folder.

SunnyWalker
07-13-2007, 20:48
What about putting your sheath knife on your leg or ankle-an ankle sheath/holster?? Cool- Rambo Man!!!!!1

-SunnyWalker

icemanat95
07-13-2007, 22:26

This is untrue. The legal carry length of knives varies dramatically from state to state and municipality to municipality. In California, for instance, switchblades are legal to carry so long as the blade length is below a certain point. In other states there are no legal carry lengths at all. In still others certain length knives can ONLY be legally carried exposed on the hip (so as not to be "concealed.")

In Florida and a few other states, so long as you have a concealed weapons license, you can carry switchblade and other automatic knives as well as handguns. Vermont has virtually no weapons laws at all.

The bottom line, regardless of tool type, is not to act like an arse. Act like an arse and you will attract attention to yourself and your knife and sooner or later get unwanted legal attention merely for looking suspicious.

SunnyWalker
07-24-2007, 00:25
I have returned from my week on the At (Amicola to Unicore Gap). Used my Swiss Army knife. No sheath knife! Had plenty of cutting power for all situations met on the trail. Recommend no sheath knifes (fixed blade knifes). -SunnyWalker

Passionphish
07-24-2007, 05:58
I use a K-Bar, a Benchmade (my favorite), and a leatherman's tool. The wave I think. It breaks down simply. All knives are tools. You take the right tool for the job and no one should say or think anything. Unless they are judgemental. Then just feel pity for them.

You use what works for you and helps you get the job done. Over kill is a waste in any environment. That goes for weight, weapon, and attitude. There is a time and a place for all three items I listed. So don't go using a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail. That's all I'm saying!

NICKTHEGREEK
07-24-2007, 07:11

-SunnyWalker

The latter, but Navy issue. I have my pride. In the pack unless I'm in the wilderness which means away from 99% of the AT

Dances with Mice
07-24-2007, 11:02
So don't go using a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail. That's all I'm saying!Is it still ok to use a butter knife as a screwdriver?

The Weasel
07-24-2007, 11:42
Is it still ok to use a butter knife as a screwdriver?

Only at your mom's house.

The Weasel

Monkeyboy
07-24-2007, 13:05
Only at your mom's house.

The Weasel

That's not true.....my wife does it all the time.

Uses her shoe as a hammer, also.

Dances with Mice
07-24-2007, 13:15
Uses her shoe as a hammer, also.Why? Doesn't she have a meat tenderizer?

Monkeyboy
07-24-2007, 14:27
No....the shoe is the tenderizer......but her cooking is subject for another thread.

Brings a whole new meaning to Fillet of Sole....

WalkingStick75
07-24-2007, 15:04
Personally I carry a small Swiss Army knife with a few accessories and could never see myself carrying much more. For those that choose to carry something like a 4" sheath or kitchen knife I personally think is excessive but who am I to say or know maybe they like to fish while too so I wouldn't think much about it. I have run across a few that feel it necessary to hike with larger knives and that is enough of a red flag to me to say I need to put some distance between us. With that being said if a person is skilled/trained enough to use a knife a small 2" blade is all they need to be dangerous.

Monkeyboy
07-24-2007, 15:54
Not to mention that my wife is pretty vicious with the shoe, as well......

Outlaw
07-25-2007, 09:28
Not to mention that my wife is pretty vicious with the shoe, as well......
Well, if she reads your prior posts knocking her cooking abilities, I wonder how long it's gonna take you to dig her shoe out of your arss. LOL. Hope for your sake she doesn't wear those pointy-toed stiletto heals...ouch!:eek:

cbabs
07-25-2007, 13:27
On my 266 mile hike this year I carried a 6 inch USMC Ka-Bar that came with a leather sheath. It doubles up as my hunting knife and I pretty much love it. Didn't use it much on the trail but it made me feel better when I came face to face with a bear before leaving the smokies. I think it weighs 11oz.

Monkeyboy
07-25-2007, 14:20
I think it weighs 11oz.

The knife or the bear......

If it was the bear, just drop kick it.....

SunnyWalker
08-05-2007, 21:27
I think a K-Bar or one of those vicous army knives sold in knife mgs is best. Have you seen them-cheap ones cost about $250 About a 8 inch blade will do. Think what you can do with it: 1)scare off other hikers who think you are a nut, 2)obtain a trip to the hospital, albeit not free, 3)fight off bears(for about 1 second and its not because you scare them off), 4)give rein to your Rambo dreams, 5)dig in the ground, 6)cut the cheese!!!, 7)continue to fight the "War of Nothern Aggrression", 8)impress the girls???!?, 9)cut your appendage off if you get stuck in a rock slide, 10)last but not least: add more weight to what you already are carrying.
-SunnyWalker

Panzer1
08-06-2007, 00:33
3)fight off bears(for about 1 second and its not because you scare them off)

FYI: K-Bar actually means "kill bear"

Panzer

Monkeyboy
08-06-2007, 15:57
I thought it meant "Kick Bear And Run"....

neo
08-10-2007, 11:45

-SunnyWalker

this here is what i carry:cool: neo

http://www.bestglide.com/AF_Survival_Knife_Info.html

here are a couple of pics of me onthe AT with my favorite blade

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6226&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6224&c=member&imageuser=3462

Erin
08-10-2007, 15:58
I carried a sheath knife on a section hike. Four inch blade with leather sheath. Old knife, no brand name, but probably a Case. I kept it in my backpack. It belonged to a relative who was killed in Iraq who carried it on the AT so I carried it as a tribute to him since his dad gave it to me before the hike. It did come in handy for cutting moleskin and cheese. I never felt I needed it as a safety measure. I will take something smaller and lighter next time, little scissors.

tanpuma
08-11-2007, 21:23
I sometimes carry a sheath knife, I have been backpacking for 12 years(lightwt for about 8). I have an old thin bladed knife, homemade leather sheath, its a few ounces.
It serves as a multi-purpose tool: drill, hot knife for repairs, whittling, sculpture carving, trail work, cutting kindling, emergency firestarter( its a carbon blade), slicing: meat,fruit and vegetables, toaster. Emergency money--
I could sell it for cash at a pawn shop. I feel that folding knives are not as safe for me, and have heard pen knife horror stories.
the blade looks about 4.25" with a wood handle, excellent for cutting up food. I think about selling it as its very old, but its so light and practical.
My ideal thru hike knife would be a carbon bladed thin knife 3" long, in an ultralight neck sheath.

tanpuma
08-11-2007, 21:31
what does a knife have to do with politics anyway? I think nothing. Everyone of every stripe has knives in their kitchen. When you are hiking, you have your kitchen with you. People are afraid of my dog too, and he is the sweetest beagle you ever saw, but notheless there will be people afraid of all dogs.
I just keep my distance , and move along.

damush
08-13-2007, 00:41
C.R.K.T Stiff K.I.S.S...combo blade but nice since serrated edge is only 1/3 of the blade and a multi use hard sheath- wear it on a bead chain around your neck or put the detachable clip in 1 of 4 configurations. also comes with a wide belt loop attachment or thread it through webbing. p-cord wrapped handle

stumpy
08-13-2007, 11:53
I have a t STIFF K.I.S.S. that I take as well. I have attached it to my backpack strap (kind of like NEO's pic.), but it is a much smaller knife. I also carry a CRKT M-16 folding knife. I like knives and carry one with me every where I go, except work (school teacher) and airports (but there is always one checked in my luggage).

Monkeyboy
08-13-2007, 17:43
Sorry....but I just had to chuckle about reading a knife review from a man named "Stumpy".....

:)

stumpy
08-13-2007, 18:58
"A Man Named Stumpy"

That has a nice ring to it! Maybe I should change me name:sun

Skidsteer
08-13-2007, 19:02
"A Man Named Stumpy"

That has a nice ring to it! Maybe I should change me name:sun

It would be perfect if you were an Industrial Arts teacher.

stumpy
08-13-2007, 20:02
Sorry, just a special education teacher (behavior intervention), but sometimes it seems as though I am working with big chunks of wood and metal!

Monkeyboy
08-13-2007, 22:12
Sorry, just a special education teacher (behavior intervention), but sometimes it seems as though I am working with big chunks of wood and metal!

At least you married the smart one from UF......:D

Go Gators!!!!!

SunnyWalker
06-21-2008, 23:27
Change, change, change! No more single blade knives. I decided to carry only a small little folding knife. No more Rambo knives(the one I had my dau bought me anyway). Now I am trying to lighten my load.

le loupe
06-21-2008, 23:39

Knife laws- like guns laws are variable by state. There is no blade length restriction in Pennsylvania or Virginia, to name two. Connecticut on the other hand restricts blade length to 3.5" and in the Peoples Republic of NJ all knives are weapons and illegal

cavscout
06-21-2008, 23:47
Just to chime in on a few molded sheaths I've made. These hold the knife very securely but allow it to be drawn very easily and with no need to unsnap anything.

http://www.oconeeleatherworks.com/images/SheathedBlade.JPG

http://www.oconeeleatherworks.com/images/SheathAndBlade.JPG

http://www.oconeeleatherworks.com/images/MoldedSheath%20%281%29.JPG

This was a custom length sheath so it would hang down below the wearers belt about 3 inches.
http://www.oconeeleatherworks.com/images/CustomKnifeSheath%20%283%29.JPG

buzzamania
06-22-2008, 00:19
A good spyderco rescue knife is the best there is. With a 4 inch blade the thing is indespensible. Big enough for personal security small enough to keep in your pocket. Does not require or cause excessive butt humping. Not sure if anyone else has tried spyderco but this Japanese steel is the hardest stuff on the planet. I have been a Buck, Old Timer and Remington knife owner until the last 8 years. Excellent daily use. I have sent the knife in for sharpening 3 times in 8 years and each time they just sent me a new knife. Outstanding service. I will never go back. . . sorry to talk folders again but had to throw this in. This is like a tree cutting bone saw that just doesn't dull. http://spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C14BK_M.jpg

Grinder
06-22-2008, 07:44
Last year, on my first section hike, I carried a Frost Mora sheath knife. I chose it as the shortest "real knife" based on the recommendations on this site from the "knife faction". Like every other piece or hiking equipment, knives are available in every price range, Some feel only the best is good enough. I do not belong to that faction, being a card carrying frugal hiker,

I used the knife once in a week. I had no place to keep it for "emergency access". My belt was covered by my pack waist band. I tried hanging it from a pack strap, but that was dangly and distracting. I finally stored it in the pack.

This year, I only carried a mini knife I made from a hacksaw blade. I think I never used it. (Maybe a few times to open plastic packages). I carried it in my cook pot.

I have to say I never missed the Moro.

Grinder

4eyedbuzzard
06-22-2008, 11:40

Uniformed post.

Summary of state knife laws and links to others: http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html

gaga
06-22-2008, 12:33
;) here is my sharp friend http://www.kanetsune.com/index.php?id=62 nr. KB-214
and if you really like knives , take a tour in knife haven http://www.knifeart.com/

Fiddleback
06-23-2008, 09:03
Just did a fast read of this thread and learned a lot. I carry a smallish folding Buck that My Lady gave me but I'm kinda impressed with that Spyderco a few posts above...

This is the only thread I read in the Hammock Camping forum this morning...:-?

FB

Homer&Marje
06-23-2008, 09:57
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HOMERJ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/JXEFUCPY/

This is the knife i carry. It is about 9 oz with the nylon sheath, nylon rope wrapped handle is super useful, i sharpened the notches on the back edge, why i don't know, it looks cool, it hangs very comfortably from my sternum strap through a loop in the sheath, easy access and really goes to make a point, dont mess with a 230 pound man with a 12" buck knife hanging in front of him. Plus it cuts anything from cheese to small trees and is smaller than a machete.

SunnyWalker
06-25-2008, 23:29
Thanks for theinfo 4eyedbuzzard. But like I said, I have decided to carry a small swiss army knife tool combo. I'll keep it in my pack. Should be ok.

MedicineMan
07-10-2008, 06:16
This is one of my favorites:
http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=341

A hobby I'm passionate about is bushcraft.....I mean we are walking in the woods right? What better place to practice the arts of the original people. Of course most on the AT are headed from point A to point B and as fast as possible. If you ever decide to veer right or left and get off the trail you may discover a fascinating world, a world where bushcraft calls you in. The Skookum Bushtool is a model knife for this craft.

Tonan230
07-13-2008, 13:32
A big knife actually has nothing to do with a greenhorn, a big knife in a survival situation is much more effective than a small knife for all camping/ survival chores( which a backpacking trip can easily turn into if something goes south). A large knife has more mass therefore making chopping easier, and since chopping is the most important movement for fire making and shelter building you'd be a whole lot better off with a large knife.
Secondly a large knife allows you to not carry a hatchet reducing overall weight.

Gumbi
07-15-2008, 15:18
This is one of my favorites:
http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=341

There is nothing on this knife to keep your hand from sliding forward and getting cut. On the other hand, I like the steel pommel, which would allow you to use it as a hammer.
Here is my knife of choice:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2599614

MedicineMan
07-15-2008, 23:04
That truly is an issue for a military type knife when you are stabbing.
With a bushcraft knife it has never been an issue. In fact if you study bushcraft, seek those out who have practiced bushcraft (like Mors) you'll see
that there is no guard on any bushcraft knife-it only gets in the way when you are crafting...

I checked out your wallyworld knife....for bushcraft the first thing it would fail in is dowelling.
It get's to what you want a knife for...obviously for the ultralightweight backpacker a razor blade will do, someone wanting to fight needs something else, and so on.

gaga
07-15-2008, 23:57
...for bushcraft the first thing it would fail in is dowelling.

the blade of a good Woods ;) (buschraft) knife has to be sharpened in a single V edge,, if its a big V and then its doubled just on the edge whit another V, witch actually is the cutting edge that you have to keep sharp...its not really a sharp practical edge... and there is more...but MedicineMan knows his knife;)

MedicineMan
07-16-2008, 00:15
One edge is key, singe bevel eh.
few more requirements-
full tang of course
strong pommel
thick spine

You can argue the merits of different steels all day....i'll stick with old timey carbon so i can get a spark if i need to....

Being no expert-just an avid student...go here to get started:

http://www.jackmtn.com/simplog/?p=20
http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article380

If you think bushcraft and then reflect on the American Frontiesman (think D.Boone)...weren'te they ultralightweight backpackers of the time? They really did carry very very little, crafting what they needed on the fly as needed.

JAK
07-16-2008, 08:14
Good stuff. I am looking for a sheath knife myself.

Here is a local company, so I would like one of their knives. Maybe one of their kits.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/about.html

Interested in people thoughts on this one...
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r2s.html

With a kit I could change the handle, maybe bigger, maybe not. I was thinking high carbon steel rather than high carbon stainless steel. This is mostly just because I would like to mess around with simple heat treatment and tempering. Also it can come on single ground. I think that means single vee edge. Thoughts?

Fiddleback
07-16-2008, 09:08
For what it's worth and for any who care...

Yesterday I heard second-hand from an individual who has a daughter working at the Buck company that they are bringing their blades back to the U.S. (Idaho). Supposedly, steel quality issues and rising transportation costs have soured their China production agreement.

FB

JAK
07-16-2008, 09:19
Good news. Globalization isn't sustainable. Local is better.

leeki pole
07-16-2008, 09:25
I'll stick with my original position...get a good handmade knife.
A knife is like a friend, pick it wisely, it will never let you down.

SunnyWalker
07-16-2008, 21:53
MedicineMan: whew, thats a beaut.

JAK
07-16-2008, 22:18
I'll stick with my original position...get a good handmade knife.
A knife is like a friend, pick it wisely, it will never let you down.That's sort of how I feel. I don't have a collect yet, but if I do I don't want it to be just a bunch of knives because I haven't found the one I want yet. Having said that I looked at some old fixed blades and pocket knives and bigger knives at Roy's Army navy and didn't see anything I liked, so I bought a small light Opinel with a locking blade to get me by until I find or make something better. It doesn't look strong enough for serious woodcraft but I think between it and my small hatchet I can make a hiking stick while avoiding any major arteries. We'll see. Good incentive to bring first aid kit.

rhett270
08-14-2008, 13:38
I use a SOG seal pup elite. It is lightwieght and the perfect size

Jordan5
08-16-2008, 09:47
i carry this buck
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3041

trouthunter
08-16-2008, 15:51
Single bevel edge works best for cutting/shaving/whittling wood they way you do in bush craft, but if you're just a wood hacker it doesn't matter much.
For back country uses you employ cutting motions, not stabbing motions so a guard does get in the way a good bit. Same reason you don't see guards on fillet knives.
I personally carry a bush craft knife and a Sven saw. If you do need to "chop" wood the saw is three times faster and uses less effort, efficiency and conservation of your energy is key to survival situations. Many times I just let bigger limbs burn in two instead of spending the energy to cut them up, it wastes too much time that I could be using to fish or scout the area, or just sit and talk with my buddies.
Just my opinion. Everyone has to do what they find works for them!

winger
08-25-2008, 16:19
wilsontactical.com

derek
08-25-2008, 16:33
I second the SOG seal pup.

Quoddy
08-25-2008, 17:35
I recently picked up a Busse Pumpkin Game Warden which is small enough to carry on extended hikes. Other than a custom hand forged hunter all my other knives are, or border on, combat style. All of the Busse knives are incredibly tough.

http://lundestudio.com/thumbnail/pumpkin-warden-left.jpg

SunnyWalker
08-26-2008, 21:48
Quoddy: Whew, that is a neat looking knife. Carry that on your belt or inside your pack?

SunnyWalker
09-15-2008, 13:00
Last issue of Backpacker they made fun of knives in an article on survival. The start of it included a man with a big ole bowie type knife (with no leather sheath) hanging in his belt. I think it was to point out that only stupid ignoramuses take knives and at least, single blade knives. Well, in another article in the magazine (this issue devoted to survival) there was an serious article on the same subject. What was named as the most important items to have for survival?? You guessed it-a knife!!!!!!!!!!!!!