PDA

View Full Version : Job Possibilities since my hike

mnof1000v
06-10-2007, 01:00
So I finished my hike last year, and took some time finding work after my hike. A few months back I had tossed a couple resumes to companies in northern New Hampshire, more or less on a whim, and heard nothing back. I started working for a company here in Mass in March. It's a decent job, but I'm kinda land-locked and its tough to get out and hike. This past week I recieved calls back from two of the NH companies... It's been 8 months since I applied, but I'm finally getting calls.

And now I have this dilemma. Do I consider my options in hiker-friendly northern NH, or do I continue in the working for the company I joined just a few months ago? :-?

(I'm fairly sure what kind of response I'm going to get here, but I figured I'd ask just the same...)

mudhead
06-10-2007, 04:01
Always "consider" options. You can "consider" moving to Sri Lanka.

fiddlehead
06-10-2007, 05:41
follow your dreams! I expanded my horizons after a few thru-hikes and ended up here in Phuket, Thailand: paradise for some, chaos for others.
The AT opened the door to an adventurous life. I did a thru-hike (hitchike) of the world in '92-'93 and discovered Thailand. When i miss hiking, i hop over to the Himalayas for all the good stuff i want. (in reality, it's been 3 years since i did that)
if you like your job in Mass, stick with it, if the job in NH get's you closer to what you love, I wouldn't look back.

gravityman
06-11-2007, 18:20
Depends on the job...

But you should really consider the location and quality of life you would have in NH vs MA. I know I would still be looking for a job if I didn't like where I lived. The job isn't the whole story...

However, if the job in NH is unstable, it might not be a wise choice to move up there and then end up unemployed. However, I wouldn't feel a huge amount of loyalty to your current company.

Gravity and Danger
GA-ME 2005

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2007, 18:34
You don't really have a dilemma until you have a written job offer in hand. Certainly you should at least talk to any potential employer.

Consider living where you most want to live and doing what you most want to do. And no decision you make regarding where to live or work is permanent. Just don't leave a job on bad terms. It's a small world.

Time To Fly 97
06-12-2007, 09:54
Always consider your options (descretely), but don't jump unless you have a signed contract for the next position and a significant reason to move. Employers will be deciding whether you or other candidates are worth a long term investment. They will value longevity at your positions (loyalty), how well you do your job (preferably backed by numbers) and how well you will fit into their corporate culture. They will take a hard look at why you have left past positions - and you should have positive reasons. A significant increase in compensation is one of the best (I think) because your potential employer will have to consider paying you more to prevent you from being recruited away.

Careers take time and your path will usually not be very well blazed. Every day, you should ask yourself, "what can I do right now to make myself more valuable to my next employer?" Answer: Do your job well, fit in culterally, earn special projects and responsibilities...keep you eyes open for your next move. Sometimes, the next position may come from the same company or may not have even been created yet...or a surprise call from one of your old bosses who is putting a new "A" team together. "Chance favors the prepared mind."

If you make the right jumps for the right reasons, you can advance solidly and sometimes rapidly in pay - you need to really think each move out though because the opposite is true too. Patience for the search/ everything you have for the right opportunity.

Happy hiking (on and off the trail)

TTF

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2007, 16:05
depends on what your looking for in life, is this a corporate type job...or what, there are lot of seasonal type jobs, that will give you a living and plenty of flexible time off to hike and such,

what are U looking for,,,come to AK,,lots of work here particulary inthe summer season,

but tying into corporate life,,,gag me witha spoon;)

superman
06-12-2007, 20:49
"Control and direct your life" is almost a mantra today. You're basically looking at a choice between two positive choices. Most of my life I chose between the lesser of the bad options. It wasn't always a hoot. I retired younger than most and am better off than the average. I'd like to take credit for it but there is a lot to be said for s---t luck. You can plot and plan but in the end the gods will have their way with you...enjoy.:jump