PDA

View Full Version : Add your trails to this new wiki

Benton MacKaye
06-10-2007, 06:33
Hello, I've been putting some trails on www.wikiwalki.com (http://www.wikiwalki.com)
You can add your trails too or search for places to walk, run, bike, skate, etc.
There's not much content right now (and it's not my site), but hopefully wikiwalkie or something like it will catch on and we'll have a huge, centralized database of trails on the internet.

berninbush
06-10-2007, 08:55
A nice idea. I added one trail by hand, very inaccurately. You need a GPS device with all the waypoints saved to do it right for a hiking trail. But I hope the idea catches on.

Benton MacKaye
06-10-2007, 10:29
Yea. I know what you mean. It's especially tricky with trails in the deep woods where you're dealing with single track and a lack of close ups from the satellite mapping. It works a lot better with rail trails that actually show up.

I've lived in my area of New York for twenty years. We walked the same 3 or 4 places all that time because we didn't know of any other woodsy paths. About three years ago I spent a whole summer searching for trails, checking out town parks, colleges, asking at county offices and I found about thirty additional trails within 50 miles. If people participate in a site like this, my search would only have taken a few minutes. You could visit a town anywhere in the country and know, very quickly, places to walk your dog or run free of traffic. And as more people use these places because they know of them, they'll demand more trails and we'll all end up with more places to go.