PDA

View Full Version : We won't get fooled again!!!!

Grinder
06-10-2007, 13:18
I was almost totally lacking in trail legs, during my hike last month.

This morning, I sought out the local High School Stadium and went climbing.

Four circuits contained 17 climbs of a bit under 50 feet each, for 700 some feet.

The panting and wheezing were close to remembered levels , so I'm in the ball park. The pain in the ass occurred on schedule. Legs are jelly right now.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Condor
06-10-2007, 13:34
Feel the burn! :D

Lone Wolf
06-10-2007, 13:37
the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war

Tipi Walter
06-10-2007, 13:40
That's a start. Now do it with a 50 pound pack.

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 14:56
the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war

Man, that's a good 'un.

I also like the "Pain is weakness leaving the body." It's helped me love the hurt.

Grinder
06-10-2007, 15:32
TIPI.
I forgot to mention the 30 pound pack I had on.

I HOPE TO NEVER CARRY 50.

Tom

Topcat
06-10-2007, 19:00
train with 50, then hike with 30

Programbo
06-10-2007, 19:08
Nice training regime..I walk around the track at the local high school after work and always include going up and down the stadium stairs ..Your stadium sounds pretty big!..The one here has just 6 sets of steps and the verticle gain is only like 17 feet going up them..I normally go up one set..walk across the seat area and down the next set..So on each lap I go up 3 sets and down 3

Darwin again
06-10-2007, 21:17

Four circuits contained 17 climbs of a bit under 50 feet each, for 700 some feet.

The panting and wheezing were close to remembered levels , so I'm in the ball park. The pain in the ass occurred on schedule. Legs are jelly right now.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Excellent! You're in the Zone. Nice....:D

sarbar
06-11-2007, 15:24
train with 50, then hike with 30

Good way to wreck the knees :eek::rolleyes:

RockyBob
06-11-2007, 15:54
No pain, no gain

Condor
06-11-2007, 16:29
No pain, no gain

NO RAIN, NO PAIN -- No MAINE;)

Grinder
06-11-2007, 17:33
Strangely enough, a day later, it's my calfs that are sore.

They never complained during the real deal. Go figure!!

miles of smiles
Tom

Jester2000
06-11-2007, 21:31
Do you REALLY think you're not going to get fooled again?

Skidsteer
06-11-2007, 22:10
Do you REALLY think you're not going to get fooled again?

Exactly.

Even The Who got fooled again.

Most of them didn't die before they got old.

Nightwalker
06-11-2007, 22:21
Even The Who got fooled again.

Most of them didn't even die before they got old.

I hate it when people beat me to my planned imitation-sly comments. Though, since it's you, I suppose I'll let it slide this one time...

:D

Skidsteer
06-11-2007, 22:26
I hate it when people beat me to my planned imitation-sly comments. Though, since it's you, I suppose I'll let it slide this one time...

:D

Yeah, it was a lay-up wasn't it?

When Jester plays straight man you gotta jump on it. :D

Programbo
06-11-2007, 22:26
Good way to wreck the knees

People must have had stronger knees back in the 60`s-70`s..We all carried heavier weight in top heavy external framed packs and no-one used trekking poles and yet I never recall hearing anyone complain about their knees :-?

Krewzer
06-12-2007, 07:22

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Stadiums are great, sounds like you've got it goin' on.

I use an old laundry detergent bottle, the big one, and fill it with water for training weight of about 20lbs plus pack 'n' snack. Fits in the pack quickly and easily.

Careful with the jelly legs stuff, start light and add weight and distance as you go...and stretch.

Grinder
06-12-2007, 08:11
about the pack weight:

During my hike, I met a couple from Montreal,Quebec, on Blood Mountain.

They had HUGE rigid framed packs.The frame looked to be carbon fiber. (OOOO!) I watched her as she non-chalantly put her pack on while standing there.

The next day, at Neel's Gap, they were weighing their packs. 50 lbs for his and 45 for hers.

Their knees seemed to be in good shape.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Sgt. Rock said:" When my pack weighed 50 pounds, I loved to camp. When I reduced the pack weight to 25 pounds I began to love to hike"

saimyoji
06-12-2007, 08:20
People must have had stronger knees back in the 60`s-70`s..We all carried heavier weight in top heavy external framed packs and no-one used trekking poles and yet I never recall hearing anyone complain about their knees :-?

Probably because their guts and asses weren't as large back then. :rolleyes:

Mine are both steadily shrinking I'm happy to report. Think I'll celebrate with a couple Triple BigMacs and a case of whatever is cheapest.....:cool:

rgarling
06-12-2007, 08:57

Dad, Dad, hey Dad ...

Tell us again about how you walked to school every day; 3 miles, uphill, barefoot in the snow. :D

Frosty
06-12-2007, 11:10
People must have had stronger knees back in the 60`s-70`s..We all carried heavier weight in top heavy external framed packs and no-one used trekking poles and yet I never recall hearing anyone complain about their knees :-? Not then, no, but I'm complaining about them now. Or more accurately, they are complaining to me. Loudly.

Also, I don't recall thinking a 15 mile day was a reasonable hike back then. Ten miles was a long, long day. Of course we made camp earlier because not only did cooking take longer, but it took a while to chop off enough hemlock branches to make a browse bed.

sarbar
06-12-2007, 14:01
They were young back then ;) And then again...physical therapy didn't exist like it does now. People sucked it up painwise more back then-there wasn't much you could do about it!

sarbar
06-12-2007, 14:04
Not then, no, but I'm complaining about them now. Or more accurately, they are complaining to me. Loudly.

Also, I don't recall thinking a 15 mile day was a reasonable hike back then. Ten miles was a long, long day. Of course we made camp earlier because not only did cooking take longer, but it took a while to chop off enough hemlock branches to make a browse bed.

Lol...yeah, right there that explains everything! :D When I started hiking in my late teens (early 1990's) I would never have dreamed up doing 19 mile days. I couldn't have carried the weight in food! Neither did I think I would ever carry a sub 20 lb pack for 5 days!

I met some old schoolers last summer on the PCT with massive external frame packs. They were walking 5 miles a day. It was literally up a ridge, then down to camp and lay in camp exhausted. They were intrigued by our tiny packs, once they finally believed that us ladies didn't have male pack donkeys hiding in the woods behind us.......