PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mountain Inn/Parking/Trail info

cutman11
06-10-2007, 16:36
I was planning a section from DWG to Kent for Aug-sept 2007 and the bear mountain inn website indicates it is closed for renovation until 2008. I need some current accurate info from a whiteblazer who is close enough to check out the current situation and answer the following:

1. IS the inn actually closed?
2. Can I still park in the parking lot, or is it closed off due to the renovation/construction?
3. In my search of whiteblaze, I came across the following link :
http://www.nynjtc.org/bearmountaintrails/pdfs/masterplan.2.22.2005.pdf

Has the relo discussed there been completed?

Appreciate the help in advance.

1azarus
06-10-2007, 20:57
as of mid january the inn was very closed and way far away from completion. there is another inn at bear mountain that is open. the parking lot is open and in use for the park and merry-go-round.

refreeman
06-10-2007, 21:38
Hi cutman11,

I was at Bear Mountain State Park in NY last month.

1. The Inn was closed then and looked like renovations were still going strong. I doubt they would be open by the time you go through.

2. Yes, you can still park in the large parking lot. It cost $6 cash, unless you get there after hours and park; then it is free. The parking lot is well patrolled buy police day and night too.

3. The relo was not done at the time I went through, but they have made good progress. I do not know when the new section is scheduled to be opened. The old section of the AT they are replacing was still very good in my opinion.

If you have any other questions you are invited to ask.

MOWGLI
06-11-2007, 10:12
The Bear Mountain relo is a long term project, and will be a major focus of next months ATC Biennial meeting.

thia
06-17-2011, 22:22
now it is june 2011. is it still possible to park at Bear Mtn Inn while hiking A.T.? I have called the Inn (renovated and now open) a few times and each time I ask this question the person hangs up on me!

LIhikers
06-17-2011, 23:08
now it is june 2011. is it still possible to park at Bear Mtn Inn while hiking A.T.? I have called the Inn (renovated and now open) a few times and each time I ask this question the person hangs up on me!

Yes you can park there as that lot is for the park in general, not just the Inn. You'll have to pay to get into the lot but you'll be able to leave your car for multiday hikes. Drive to the far end of the lot and park near the administrative building. Go inside and to the left is the park police office. They have a registration form for you to fill out so that they know which cars are intentionally left there for more than one day. That's it, enjoy your hike!

thia
06-24-2011, 21:09
thanks for info. on our way!

thia
07-23-2011, 16:07
thanks! we did this and worked perfectly. $8 now. Palisades Park (Bear Mtn St Pk) is also on FB now and very responsive to questions.

LIhikers
07-23-2011, 19:57
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Raul Perez
07-23-2011, 21:02
get there before 8am and you can park for free.... little tip from me to you :)

xbEaNsx
07-25-2011, 22:04
i've been hiking in this area the past few weeks. I'm out on LI. Have done the Popolopen Torne, Anthony's Nose and some of the other trails in the area, 1777, etc. I'll probably do my first overnight next week. This info helps.

GalHikingTheGap
09-28-2011, 11:09
Did you have a good overnight you did @xbEaNsx? Looking for recs for two outdoor instructors looking to enjoy some good views.