PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Katahdin Stream Campground

jmcdonou
06-10-2007, 19:49
I'm driving from Boston to Katahdin Stream Campground and can only find an address to 64 Balsam Drive in Millinocket. Can anyone help me out with an address that I could mapquest or give me driving directions. Thanks

mudhead
06-10-2007, 20:46
That address is the HQ in town, adjacent to McDonald's. The park gate is about 18 miles north.

207-723-5140. Ask the nice lady for diections.

I95 North. 57 miles north of the Bangor Mall/Hogan Road, exit Medway. Stop sign turn left. Buy fuel. Proceed about 12 miles to Millinocket. McD's on left. Grocery on left and right. Balsam is like a frontage road.

Look for green and white signs, blatent, dogleg thru town, gate is about 18 miles north.

When in doubt, ask, people are nice, if you are nice.

Grampie
06-11-2007, 09:08
A word of caution. If you plan to drive into the campground and hike the Hunt Trail you sure need to get to the park early if you don't have a reservation.
In 2001 we wanted to enter the campground to climb Katahdin. We got to the gate at 5:15 am and got in a long line of cars waiting to enter. They opened the gate at 6:00. When we got to the gate house and told them we wanted to go to Katahdin Stream Campground and hike the Hunt Trail we were told that the camp ground was at max level and nowone else could enter it.
We did not have a reservation. I, along with another hiker had fliped and were going to start SOBO. This didn't matter to the gal at the gate. We were told to come back tomorrow earlier.