PDA

View Full Version : Light fleece

Companion
10-01-2003, 15:15
I am thinking of a *light* middle layer. the fleece top(columbia) I have is about a pound. Where should I look and what should I ask for when i go shopping around? I saw something good..it says polartec 200. is that on the heavy side or is this the 'light fleecewear' that people talk and I never get to see? Its beginning to get slightly chilly(yay?) and I have to repack for my weekend hikes. suggestions? also, would it be terribly expensive?

Kerosene
10-01-2003, 15:27
You'll want to look at things called Polarec 100 or microfleece, which should weigh in at 9-10 ounces for a men's medium button pullover. Here's an example. (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47573078&parent_category_rn=5074259)

Alternatively, you might consider the Polartec Power Stretch pullovers that are coming out. While a touch heavier, they're more windproof and water resistant than microfleece. They usually run from $80-125, but here's one (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=14175265&parent_category_rn=4501441) from REI that's on sale for the low, low price of $55! What a deal! Act now before supplies run out! The version I own weighs in at 12 ounces for a men's medium.

smokymtnsteve
10-01-2003, 16:51
have you tried just wearing fleece vest ???

Companion
10-01-2003, 21:25
thanks kerosene...the power stretch seems the way to go..

smokymtnsteve: is that a good idea...the vest, that is..is it ok to leave the arms with just one layer of warmth and no insulation..

side note: does anyone ever take a down jacket on the AT? I got one from my White Mts gear...its about a pound+odd oz. is it worth the weight? some people say that down is the warmest....true?

smokymtnsteve
10-01-2003, 21:36
I carry a vest and in the two inside pockets I carry a fleece hat and a pair of gloves...my core temp is maintained and my hands can stay warm...If it gets just a little cooler at rest you can always just tuck your arms inside...or put your vest over'em like a shawl or put on your rain\wind jacket...course a long Sleeve poly t-shirt ,my vest, hat and gloves take be down to 25 degrees...so I might not be the best person to judge for others..some folks are more cold tolerant than others...

down is very weight efficent....in the southern appalachians it is sometimes so damp that down just gets to be a bunch of wet fowl feathers...but in really cold,dry temps down is good...